Yabushio: timeline

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Re: Yabushio: maps, flags

Post by clawgrip »

New version. Will I ever be satisfied with this emblem?

masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

clawgrip wrote:Will I ever be satisfied with this emblem?
Not if you are anything like the majority of us.

Total satisfaction is rare among us.

BTW, I like it.
g

o

n

e
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Thanks. I'm not big on the black outline, but I think it looks worse without it.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Thought I'd do a bit more history:

Post-War Yabushio
In the latter half of the 19th century, Yabushio was essentially a suzerain state of the UK according to the Anglo-Yabushionese Treaty of Amity and Commerce, and in 1901 or so, it officially became a protectorate of Great Britain. However, in 1940 or 1941 (will decide at some point), Japan invaded Yabushio, and after a fairly bloody battle, British defenses were overwhelmed, and Yabushio fell to Japan. The nation was subject to a number of bombings of strategic areas, which caused significant damage to some areas.

After liberation in 1945, Yabushio was saddled with a damaged infrastructure, a stagnant economy, high unemployment, and consequent social unrest. The UK provided assistance to Yabushio both in administration and reconstruction, and the government promoted the agricultural and manufacturing industries, which had been gradually developing since the turn of the century. By the early 1950s, the nation began to see positive development. The manufacturing industry received a boost at the beginning of this decade, as light industrial goods manufactured in Yabushio were exported and put to use by UN forces during the Korean War.

Following the end of the war, demand for wartime materials dropped off, and Yabushio turned to other light industries to sustain the economy. As the economy improved, calls for independence from the UK gradually increased. After the adoption in 1960 of UN Resolution 1514, the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples, progress was made toward granting independence to various British Western Pacific Territories. The government of Yabushio had become increasingly stable, and in 1967, Yabushio formally gained independence from the UK.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Do you think it would have joined the UN itself in the same year, or would that have had to have waited a few years?
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

A good question. I'm not sure what factors would influence how quickly it joined.

I have calculated the populations of every single municipality, and have created a population density map.

Fully black indicates 10,000 ppl/km².

There are a bit of adjustments necessary I think. The sudden drop in density northeast and southeast of Tadzuru is due to mountains (29 extends through a valley), but I think I should still reduce the population in 31 and 32 a bit and redistribute it to places like 2 and 34. The rest I think doesn't look so bad. If there is anything weird-looking, please let me know!
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Small note: I have decided that Satomi International Airport will be located in Kotoke (#1), and Tōgọ̄ Airport in Imadzu (#80), in the same location as the real-life Oki Airport. Ama and Morio have no viable locations for airports nearby, So the Dōzen area will be accessible by ferry from Dōgo Island, and Morio and Kanba by train.

Satomi airport will be fully capable of supporting all types of commercial aircraft, but Tōgọ̄ airport will be too small for international aircraft except maybe some things flying to nearby Japanese airports, such as Izumo or Tottori.

I want to see if I can get a nice shipping port somewhere in Dōzen. I think the economy of Dōzen will mainly to be based on manufacturing products for export.

I imagine there will be a kind of train loop running from Tadzuru to Kurashiba, through Etobara to Morio, up to Kanba, and back through the central valley to Tadzuru. There may also be a series of private lines running across the northern areas of Ofodo and Kanba, and something that connects Omotsuno to Tadzuru.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

clawgrip wrote:Thanks. I'm not big on the black outline, but I think it looks worse without it.
I think both versions are good. I do agree, though, the one with the outline looks slightly better.
g

o

n

e
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I have tentatively placed Satomi Airport. The relative size of the airport should give an idea of the small scale of this country.

clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Also, Tadzuru Castle grounds.

Incidentally, the pink/purple central area, Tadzuru Ward, has a population of 295,512 and an average density of 9818 ppl/km².
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

How the hell do you maps so good?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Ahzoh wrote:How the hell do you maps so good well?
Please.

I try not to be a grammar cop, but this particular faux pas hurts my soul (to hear or read).
g

o

n

e
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Let's just be clear here that I do maps so well by stealing them from Google. This is an actual real-world island that I have altered only very slightly, and moved to a different part of the world to make this country. the colouring I am doing with Photoshop and it's not particularly hard.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

masako wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:How the hell do you maps so good well?
Please.

I try not to be a grammar cop, but this particular faux pas hurts my soul (to hear or read).
To be clear, I am relatively certain that "how you _____ so good?" isn't just bad grammar, it's a common internet expression... a redditese thing, if I figure correctly.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I've designed the train map of Yabushiojima.

(Click for larger image)

I'm thinking of extending the Chuo Line northwest to Shīri.

The terrain and population of the northern area makes extending the Onji line any further a waste of money I think. I also don't think there's any need to make a line into the northeast, again due to low population and mountainous terrain.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Maybe it's just because I'm American and I've only seen that kind of train line map while traveling , but I just love the way that kind of map looks in general, and I especially like the look of the one here.

The decisions are up to you, since you're the only one knowledgeable enough about Yabushio to make them, but I personally would extend the Chūō Line to Shīri, since (based on some of the other maps) it appears to be one of the more densely populated areas and very close to many of the areas with the absolute highest population densities. I agree that extending the Onji Line (or any line) in the northeastern part of the island wouldn't be the best idea, as it isn't the most urgently needed extension.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Done. I have extended the line and updated the images.
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

I love the flags btw [:D]

So how long is the train from Utano to Satomi Airport (in terms of time and distance)? How often, how expensive, how quick etc.? I'm guessing they would be fairly regular, punctual, cheap and quick akin to the Japanese trains. Would any of the cities have inner city trains/underground/monorails?

Would the silver mines have run out before rail arrives? They could affect the rail system (suddenly those hard to reach mountain towns are profitable).

What about the wee islands to the South? I'm guessing they might not be big enough for rail but they would probably have inter city buses.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Thanks.

The Kakushu line is approximately 64 km in length. Calculating the ride time is a far more in-depth question than you may have expected, but I have done my best to calculate it. I have measured the approximate distance between every station on the line, calculated average speeds based (extremely roughly) on the average speeds of the Yamanote Line in Tokyo (including acceleration/deceleration times) and the line's maximum speed of 130 km/h (which it of course cannot actually reach in the urban areas), (very) roughly taking into account slowdown because of curves, and allowed an average of 45 seconds stop time at 28 of the 30 stops, since the wait time at the first and last stations don't count toward actual ride time. The result is that a ride from Utano to Satomi Airport would likely take approximately 1 hour, 23 minutes.

I haven't determined the price since, actually, I haven't even determined the currency of the country yet. I have to think about this more. I think it will be similar

I doubt there will be subways, but there may be some surface light rail. I am considering putting a train line on Dogo Island, but I will have to consider whether it's a viable option or not, or whether buses would do.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I was also considering what sort of food is eaten in Yabushio.

The food is similar to Japanese food. The staple is of course rice, but buckwheat (soba) noodles are also common. Udon, somen, and other types of noodle are traditionally much less common. Traditionally, seafood was always an important part of the diet. Fish and shellfish, as well as seaweeds such as kelp, wakame and nori have been important parts of the diet. In contrast to Japan, iwanori is standard, rather than itanori (which is the flat, dark green, paper-like seaweed that most people think of when they say "nori").

Sashimi and sushi are common foods in Yabushio, but unlike the nigirizushi and makizushi that most in the west are familiar with, the most common type of sushi in Yabushio is narezushi, which is fish that has been fermented in salted rice (which may or may not also be edible, depending on the type of narezushi). This type of sushi is mostly forgotten in Japan, but the narezushi tradition remains strong in Yabushio. Both salt-cured fish and dried fish are also traditional Yabushionese foods. In the modern era, Japanese sushi has also become quite popular.

A type of fish soup called kaderada is also common, and originates from Portuguese caldeirada.

Natto is also commonly consumed in Yabushio.

Like Japan, soy sauce, miso, cooking sake, and mirin are all commonly used in preparing meals. However, standard Yabushionese stock differs from standard Japanese stock, as it is made with mackerel and kelp instead of dried bonito and kelp.

Yabushio was never as strictly vegetarian as Japan, but with limited space for raising animals, comparatively little meat was consumed traditionally. Chicken and pork were sometimes eaten, but beef has never been a common food, though it has gained some popularity in the modern era.

Sake, rice shochu, barley shochu, and plum wine are common alcoholic drinks produced in Yabushio.

That's all for now!