The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote:
Canash looks up at Tash: "No!! Don't touch!! If I understood him correctly earlier, this whole thing is just oozing with spirits of Elektra City -- dangerous stuff that! Back home, they use it in some places to make soft, gentle light, and I guess that's safe enough; but it can also burn and kill! I saw the body of some Man snuffed with the stuff -- after he stopped twitching about, he just lay there all contorted. And steaming. And there were these blistering welts all over his body. And he smelled ... I don't know. Cooked? Yurk. I don't plan on touching it, anyway!"
"Elektra Cit- wait." Tash's face blooms with a mix of recognition and shock. "Electricity, really? You can do stuff with that? Back home you see it all the time with travelling entertainers, making frog legs jump and the like, but that's all! When I was a kid, I was called up to the stage once and they made my hair go flying everywhere, but there wasn't anything with light or burning or cooking people."

She pauses for a moment, thinking back. "They also sell these cure-all tonics, come to think of it. "Fortified with genuine electricity," they say. Pretty sure it's just soda water with a little chicha in for flavor, though."
"Your folk actually drink the spirits of Elektra City!? No...I think they're pulling your wing! I wouldn't drink such a draught, I can tell you that!" Canash wonders at Tash's first statement: "What kind of entertainers are these that torture people, children even, with such strong spirits? I know Men have an odd sense of what is entertaining, and they will even kill each other for sport; maybe Men where you come from aren't so different than the ones I'm used to?"

Canash thinks for a while about this chicha drink. "Hmm. I wonder: is this chicha tonic like our emarcran? It is tangy and dances on the tongue. If I drink a lot it, it will make me giddy. Does your chicha make you giddy as well? It is kind of funny: when Men drink emarcran, it makes them kind of stupid and they stumble around in a stupor. Then they pass out and sleep for the rest of the day. For us, the giddiness is passing and anyway, it would require a lot of the stuff to make us feel that way. A little bit makes us feel contented and relaxed."
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Firebird766 wrote:"Huh," Tash says as she examines the console. "So would it be a bad idea for me to touch that stuff, or...?"
It's locked. Argenzu says, pulling a thumb-sized, old-fashioned looking key out of his cloak.

There. This activates the main console.
Everyone on board? We'll be leaving in a moment.

Argenzu steps out of the box: Edelwulf, come in! We're heading home!

Edelwulf, in turn, realizes that the music player was switched on inside his little box and quickly switches it off.
Edelwulf rushes to the TARDIS with his box on the back.

He arrives and sits down right next to Argenzu and says:
Electricity is dangerous, if not handled with care.
But you can't drink it. If 240 volts flow through you, you're as well done as a chicken that was baked for an hour - inedible.

We should go now. Weird things go on inside the inn, it smells pretty weird and I want to go home.
Meta info from Rodentèrra wrote:Yes, a collection of music of Earth was - and is still - stored in the probes from 2193 A.D. - it is a popular exercise to translate the Latin translations of the lyrics into the modern languages of Rodentèrra.

Of course, there's more: Literature and films, for example.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

elemtilas wrote: "Your folk actually drink the spirits of Elektra City!? No...I think they're pulling your wing! I wouldn't drink such a draught, I can tell you that!" Canash wonders at Tash's first statement: "What kind of entertainers are these that torture people, children even, with such strong spirits? I know Men have an odd sense of what is entertaining, and they will even kill each other for sport; maybe Men where you come from aren't so different than the ones I'm used to?"

Canash thinks for a while about this chicha drink. "Hmm. I wonder: is this chicha tonic like our emarcran? It is tangy and dances on the tongue. If I drink a lot it, it will make me giddy. Does your chicha make you giddy as well? It is kind of funny: when Men drink emarcran, it makes them kind of stupid and they stumble around in a stupor. Then they pass out and sleep for the rest of the day. For us, the giddiness is passing and anyway, it would require a lot of the stuff to make us feel that way. A little bit makes us feel contented and relaxed."
Egerius wrote: He arrives and sits down right next to Argenzu and says:[/i]Electricity is dangerous, if not handled with care.
But you can't drink it. If 240 volts flow through you, you're as well done as a chicken that was baked for an hour - inedible.

We should go now. Weird things go on inside the inn, it smells pretty weird and I want to go home.
"But electricity's not dangerous at all!" Tash protests, frowning. "It's a toy, if anything. People have been trying to do something solid with it for years."

And the truth is the Voltaic piles in Tash's homeland just aren't all that good of ones. They don't put out much power and they're mainly used as curiosities and in get-rich-quick schemes.
Sḿtuval wrote:"Painkillers? I'm not taking those."

(Turns to the messenger. Asks if it understands a language in seven different languages.)

"I give up. Some messenger..."

(Looks back to the woman.)

"So where are you from?"
She shrugs and reaches for the bandages instead. It's his choice whether he wants to use headache-strength painkillers on actively-injured-strength wounds.

The languages the man speaks are notable in that they draw her attention to the fact that none of them are recognized by her translator chip. Not even the one the man is using to speak to her. That's interesting, and she isn't going to try to figure out how she can understand him anyway.

"Personally? The Great Trade City, out in jaran territory. I'm Suhail Phecda, oldest daughter of the Phecda diplomats. And that-" She whistles again, and the creature ambles back over to her. "-is why my family doesn't know what to do with me. Interpreting for that thing is almost but not entirely like diplomating. Speaking of, do you want to try again, now that it's paying attention?"
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

"Not anymore. I have a feeling it doesn't know either. My name's Tas. I live outside a city called Sone. I've never heard of that place you speak on... or a name like that."

(Thinks to self, "and your mouth's movement doesn't match the words coming out.")

"Anyways, Sone is a big city, despite it being in the outskirts of Solvor. I don't live in the city itself (where it's probably safer), but somewhere outside."
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote:"But electricity's not dangerous at all!" Tash protests, frowning. "It's a toy, if anything. People have been trying to do something solid with it for years."

And the truth is the Voltaic piles in Tash's homeland just aren't all that good of ones. They don't put out much power and they're mainly used as curiosities and in get-rich-quick schemes.
"And you say you drink it and use it as a toy? Ha! Now you're pulling my wing Tash! It must be a kind of dwimmery, because the spirits are so very powerful indeed! You can see them whirling about, when they're trapped in the, oh, what did the man call it? Insula lateris I think? Some kind of great big glass globe, anyway. All glowing like Argenzu's tardez throne.

Or I wonder, Tash: maybe the bat trees your salamanders live in are made differently than ours? Or perhaps your salamanders are weaker than ours?"
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote:A song's shushing melody thurls through the atmosphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-vzEmzYpk
Iarag nearly jumped from the bench he was occupying by the far wall: "What is that noise!?" He has never heard noises like this before and he wondered what it could mean -- only in the deepest tales of terror and the Dark from out of the Old Days is the word "music" ever mentioned, a deep magic wielded by the Enemy. A thing to be feared, because it can only mean nasty folk that want to kill and maim are nearby!

"Steady now lad! No need to get all worked up!"

Iarag settled back down on the low bench and let the sounds wash over him as he mastered his fear. Clearly there were no Teyor warriors ready to burst through the door and seize him! The nasty Daine girl has gone, so it's not her doing.

The rhythm of the thumping drums is reassuring, however -- those are familiar sounds; the sounds of war and tramping boots; of defense of home and fending off nasty enemies. The other sounds -- those are more disconcerting. Where did he hear those before?

Many thoughts raced through his head in that instant:
"Must be the magic of zuuruqan that's getting to my head! It makes me feel all fuzzy, like there's bees buzzing in me skull.

But that kind of warbling noise -- nasty singing of birds: where did I hear that before?? Birds? Yes! Birds! Wait -- where did that idea come from...? But yeah, that bone whistle. It makes zuuruqan like the singing of birds; like the singing of Teyor."

He took the whistle from the pouch again and held it before him, the long slender bone from his sister's wing, and wondered about it. How can such a thing as this make noises that so bestir the heart? Maybe that strange girl Tash was right... Maybe there is magic in this? Maybe zuuruqan is not just a dim recollection of ancient lore after all... Could it be a magic even a half-breed Hotai can wield?
An ethereal, whisper-screaming vocal interweaves these lyrics
.... You can try
But don’t go too far
You’ll be happier now
Bursting decadence
Wherever this place takes us.

Until then, no regrets
Sweet irrelevance
We’re happier now
But don’t be gone long
Though you try
Though you try
You try
You try
You try...
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote:
Iarag, much happier now that the Daine girl has gone away, looks up at the newcomer. Thinks to himself -- there are some very strange looking people come into this place! Wherever this place is...
The creature comes up to Iarag, frill perked. It can't exactly stare, having no eyes, but it seems to be curiously paying attention to him, all the same. With... whatever sense it could be using. Maybe its frill can pick up air currents or vibrations, or heck, gravitational waves? Who knows, really? The woman turns around in her chair to try to locate the singing, though not without giving the creature a quick check to make sure it isn't causing Iarag an inconvenience.
Wonder what kind of vibes it can pick up from a mixed-up soul like Iarag!?

"What deep hole did you crawl out of? I've heard of beasts without eyes that live deep-deep down, in places even darker than our delvings!" He lifts up his left wing a little, waving it about in the air in imitation of the creature's frill. He watches as the frill twitches about from side to side as he shifts his wing.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Argenzu looks out of the window of the TARDIS and mutters to himself: Oh dear, it's getting weirder by the minute. That's the same headless creature I saw in a nightmare when I was six years old...

He turns around to the main console and puts the key into the lock.
The controles are still deactivated, but the TARDIS is ready - the needle of the Geiger counter minimally goes up, the panels are illuminated and a humming sound lets you know the whole thing works.

We have five minutes to settle on a destination. Buonavalle is probably the better choice if you want to become free men... or free women.

Outside the Inn - and outside the TARDIS - a wormhole opens, ejecting two male individuals on something that looks like Ford's Quadracycle, with their luggage.
One can tell that the quadracycle is a purely mechanical, horseless carriage.

The two passangers scream and try to hit the brakes - eventually the springs unwind and the whole thing stops.

Lefric, thou idiot! We're dead! says one of the two - in outdated forms.
Me?! I am not the one who prefers a devilish machine over a horse. And stop treating me like a servant.
We are not dead. I still can feel the seat and my clothes. counters the other.
The quadracycle stopped right in front of the inn.

Lefric, I will ask inside this tavern which way to go to Chiarcità. Doest you wish to come with me? says one, stressing the formal pronoun, before opening the door.
I'll follow in a minute, Signor Niccolo, says the other in a notably Wilandish accent.
He looks for something in one of the bags lying on the rear of the machine. After he got what he looked for, the second man follows into the inn.

Linguistic Meta info wrote:I try to make the age of origin of the two characters visible in the speech, using early Modern English verb and pronoun forms.
The two characters come from seventeenth-century Winechaster (Wíland) and Chiarcità (Argemont) in Rodentèrra.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

Sḿtuval wrote:"Not anymore. I have a feeling it doesn't know either. My name's Tas. I live outside a city called Sone. I've never heard of that place you speak on... or a name like that."

(Thinks to self, "and your mouth's movement doesn't match the words coming out.")

"Anyways, Sone is a big city, despite it being in the outskirts of Solvor. I don't live in the city itself (where it's probably safer), but somewhere outside."
"You're human and you don't know about the Great Trade City? Are you a colony boy?" Suhail asks curiously. "I haven't heard of Solvor or Sone, so either it's a very new colony or something very strange is going on here."

Suhail is perfectly willing to accept that there might be alien species that she just hasn't met yet, but entirely isolated human populations?
elemtilas wrote: "And you say you drink it and use it as a toy? Ha! Now you're pulling my wing Tash! It must be a kind of dwimmery, because the spirits are so very powerful indeed! You can see them whirling about, when they're trapped in the, oh, what did the man call it? Insula lateris I think? Some kind of great big glass globe, anyway. All glowing like Argenzu's tardez throne.

Or I wonder, Tash: maybe the bat trees your salamanders live in are made differently than ours? Or perhaps your salamanders are weaker than ours?"
Egerius wrote:Argenzu looks out of the window of the TARDIS and mutters to himself: Oh dear, it's getting weirder by the minute. That's the same headless creature I saw in a nightmare when I was six years old...

He turns around to the main console and puts the key into the lock.
The controles are still deactivated, but the TARDIS is ready - the needle of the Geiger counter minimally goes up, the panels are illuminated and a humming sound lets you know the whole thing works.

We have five minutes to settle on a destination. Buonavalle is probably the better choice if you want to become free men... or free women.
"Never heard of bat trees, and salamanders live in water, not trees," Tash corrects, slightly confused. What is this guy talking about? "I think. I was never in the downlands myself, not in Naqil, but my second owner kept 'em as pets. They're just animals like any other, so I'm not sure what this has to do with electricity."

Oh, wait. Are they about to leave, now? "Then by all means, let's go to Bounaville. Anything for freedom."
elemtilas wrote: Wonder what kind of vibes it can pick up from a mixed-up soul like Iarag!?

"What deep hole did you crawl out of? I've heard of beasts without eyes that live deep-deep down, in places even darker than our delvings!" He lifts up his left wing a little, waving it about in the air in imitation of the creature's frill. He watches as the frill twitches about from side to side as he shifts his wing.
The creature is back by Iarag's side, reaching a rubbery, toeless paw up to touch his wing. The woman in grey occasionally glances back at it, but if this is something unusual for it to do then she isn't saying anything.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote:"Never heard of bat trees, and salamanders live in water, not trees," Tash corrects, slightly confused. What is this guy talking about? "I think. I was never in the downlands myself, not in Naqil, but my second owner kept 'em as pets. They're just animals like any other, so I'm not sure what this has to do with electricity."
"Huyhuy!" Canash lets out a growl of indignation: "Do I lóok like a boy to you!? Truly, what ìs it with Men and being unable to tell the difference between male and female Daine!? She looks down at herself, then over at Tash with a glare. "Sure, my boobs aren't all big like yours, but look here! See the way I braid my hair? Eleven thin braids on each side, and the rest bound up with a cord? See the ink on my shoulders? She points out the fine mendika designs on either shoulder: "Wee cinquefoils and lisseniye -- only a girl would wear that! And over here...seven stars in a wreath of oak leaves? Sign of the Lady of the Heavens. No boy would wear that! And bloody hell, right here in the middle of me chest -- lisseniye vines twined round a thin crescent moon? A girl of the House of the Seven Gardens - - that's me!"

She sniffs sharply, still rather stung, mutters: "Guy indeed!!"

"Anyway." She straightens herself up. "Everyone knóws that greater salamanders live in the rocky wastes and broken lands of the hill country. They sun themselves all day long and if disturbed by some hunting beast will reward their tormentors with a right nasty shock! Artificers took to keeping the beasties up in bat trees, where they're safe from hunting beasts. An imp turns a little paddle wheel that taps the salamanders' snouts just enough to get em to ooze djuus -- but not enough to release a great shock. Even I know that much! They hook up bits of copper pipe to a luciferescent orb and wai presto! You get a nice gentle glowing light and you don't need to fill oil chambers or fumble around for a lucifer."

elemtilas wrote: Wonder what kind of vibes it can pick up from a mixed-up soul like Iarag!?

The creature is back by Iarag's side, reaching a rubbery, toeless paw up to touch his wing. The woman in grey occasionally glances back at it, but if this is something unusual for it to do then she isn't saying anything.
Iarag wonders at the curiosity of the creature -- it does remind him of Tuuktuuk, one of the tentacled monsters that inhabits the deep-deep realms well below the delvings of good, ordinary Hotai. He says to himself: "Well, at least this one hasn't tried to throttle me with its tentacle yet! Better be careful -- you never know what nasty tricks they might play!"
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Signor Niccolo enters the inn, startled by the variety of species inside – there's more different men than could you find anywhere in Chiarcità!
He takes off his hat, which is dark blue, as is most of his clothes. His cloak is faintly yellow in colour, to avert the heat of the sun during noon.
His shoes are maroon.
It seems that clothing didn't change much between Niccolo's and Argenzu's era.

Niccolo has white fur, with some sprinkles of grey, his tail, which protrudes from under the cloak and wiggles slightly, is as grey as the ridge of his nose. His eyes are brown.
The hands are shaved, as is the area slightly before the wrist, but the remainder of the fur is untouched.
Niccolo sniffs, just before Lefric enters.
As Niccolo goes to the place where Argenzu was, so does Lefric.

What a diverse place, Lefric mutters in his native Western Wílandisċ, so many different folks around 'ere.
Niccolo turns around: What did you just say? That was perfect Argemontese, my friend!
Lefric is confused, answering in Argemontese: No, I spoke in my tongue, Master Niccolo.

Lefric sits down, takes his beige cloak off and places the bag he brought in, on the table.
This fellow has grey fur all over his face and his tail. His fur is short, the tail looks oddly thin with so short hair – Lefric must have committed some crime.

Niccolo sits down also, taking a grip on the table – and feeling the piece of paper Argenzu glued on earlier.
He rips it off, carefully, places it on the table and reads. As he reaches the end of the note, Niccolo wipes his eyes, then reads the sentence again:
3015 after founding Buonavalle?! Then it must be true what the Megalobiblion says!

Lefric is curious and also reads the note: Niccolo, have you seen the script? It is like that of the ancient monuments found all over your city. And it says red box, not blue box.

They look out of the window: Briefly, a red box is visible – but it disappears.
Did you see what I see, Lefric?, Niccolo asks.
Yes, Niccolo, I did. So it must be true – that Argenzu must have arrived here from the future.
They both sit at that table with open mouths. Their front teeth are orange, but appear healthy otherwise.
Lefric puts his left hand into the bag, fishing out a loosely-bound book. Inside is a quill. And finally, Lefric gets out his inkstand and begins writing.

The script is messy, some letters are hard to read and words are shortened. But one can see that it must be Wílandisċ.

Inside the TARDIS, Argenzu notices two the newcomers from his planet: Uh-oh, visitors from the past. Better activate the invisibility shield he says, pressing a button.
Edelwulf walks around with a lexicon in his hand:
There, for you two. It's battery, not bat-tree. Early batteries looked like piles arranged in rows, which in turn reminded people of multiple cannons – battería in Buonavallese.

Meta-communication wrote:So, what are we going to do with the people inside the TARDIS?
Will they gain their freedom or will their individual creators decide on their fate?
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Meta communicaction wrote:Sorry for both bumping and double-posting, but I'd like to have this one going (since multiple original characters might have their fate changed – and I really like the format, to say the least).
Signor Niccolo looks at the messed-up letters: What art thou writing? I can't read neither the script nor can I understand the tongue.
I'm keeping a journal, ignorant. And this place is so interesting, I thought I'd better have something on paper before I have to leave.
Lefric fiercely goes on with writing. Meanwhile, he whistles an old folk-song.

Oh God, no, Niccolo says, not this song about cuckoos and farting animals again... Thine country really hath nothing more to offer than countryside and horses, Lefric?
There is much more in Wínland, Niccolo, Lefric says, but you never want to listen – in turn, your city-state is full of misguided souls who take their half-intelligent animals from behind... including YOU! The papacy is corrupt, bishops are copulating among themselves and nobody wants to see anything – in the region where civilization started, it obviously is missing since the barbarians took it for themselves!
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

I'd be happy with Tash finally getting her freedom instead of just being on the run again
Tash starts to argue back, but heyo lexicon. That could be pretty useful. "Gonna tell us all we need to know?" she asks, reaching out for it.

The creature gently bats at Iarag's wing, its frill rippling. Soundlessly, it rears up on its hind legs to peer(?) at the man's face.

"Hey!" calls the woman in grey, hurrying over. "What did I tell you about harassing people? Sorry about this beastie," she says to Iarag, gently nudging the creature back down to the ground. "It doesn't have any manners at all."
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Firebird766 wrote:I'd be happy with Tash finally getting her freedom instead of just being on the run again
Ok, then. I might either let Argenzu return to the inn or I'll describe what happens in the Rodentèrra thread (and link back to that post here).
Firebird766 wrote:Tash starts to argue back, but heyo lexicon. That could be pretty useful. "Gonna tell us all we need to know?" she asks, reaching out for it.
Well then, Argenzu says, It's time to give you the freedom you deserve at the Ladroman Council. He enters something on the keyboard in the main console.
Edelwulf sits down, holding the lexicon in one hand and grabbing the grabpole with the other.
Tash, what do you want?, he asks, The lexicon? You wouldn't be able to read it — it's Gniezdanian Slavic. Only I and Argenzu can read it.

Argenzu can no longer wait for individual approval. Everybody sit down and grab something stable, we're taking off, he says loudly.
Destination: Rodentèrra, City of Buonavalle, Council of the Ladroman Republic, 3015 A.U.C.

He turns over the key fully, pushes a lever and presses a red button. The monitors hanging from the ceiling show white noise as the whole machine makes a weird sound. And seems to slightly swing in all directions. The pule in the middle of the console goes up and down.
After a few moments, it all stops, and the monitors show a large, Renaissance-style building.

There we are. Right in front of the meeting place of the Ladroman Parliament, Argenzu says.
I have arranged everything for your freeing. The ministers approved this decision and we, the Ladroman nation, are happy to be the first nation to accompany non-Rodentèrrans into their freedom.
Except... we will need your help to finish the documents that testify your life as free men, women and... transgender persons (Argenzu looks at Canash, with a slight hint of pity in his face before opening the door and stepping outside)
We need you to translate the documents properly into your languages — Latin isn't understood everywhere in the universe.
The creature gently bats at Iarag's wing, its frill rippling. Soundlessly, it rears up on its hind legs to peer(?) at the man's face.

"Hey!" calls the woman in grey, hurrying over. "What did I tell you about harassing people? Sorry about this beastie," she says to Iarag, gently nudging the creature back down to the ground. "It doesn't have any manners at all."
The two post-medieval men stop arguing as they hear the woman talking to the headless creature.
Lefric, what thinkest thou? Is she a peasant? Niccolo whispers.
Do you see that thing over there? A headless beast, like in the bestiaries in my country! That woman over yonder is a WITCH!
Lefric quickly leaps into the rest room. Then he runs back, taking his possessions with him and again hurries back into the restroom.
As Niccolo sees the creature, he also leaves for the rest room and screams.

Lord, forgive me, for I am a scathe sinner!

They both mumble something in there, and agree on a tune at last — what comes out of the rest room sounds like a prayer.
After that, one can be heard complaining over the other:
Lefric, thou insensitive bastard, STOP DOODLING IN THAT FORSAKEN BOOK.
— How do you think could I PROVE THE PRIEST we have seen a walking, headless creature, YOU MOUNTAIN-DWELLING MORON?!

Oh, you're right, Niccolo realizes.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

The two post-medieval men stop arguing as they hear the woman talking to the headless creature.
Lefric, what thinkest thou? Is she a peasant? Niccolo whispers.
Do you see that thing over there? A headless beast, like in the bestiaries in my country! That woman over yonder is a WITCH!
Lefric quickly leaps into the rest room. Then he runs back, taking his possessions with him and again hurries back into the restroom.
As Niccolo sees the creature, he also leaves for the rest room and screams.
Lord, forgive me, for I am a scathe sinner!

They both mumble something in there, and agree on a tune at last — what comes out of the rest room sounds like a prayer.
After that, one can be heard complaining over the other: Lefric, thou insensitive bastard, STOP DOODLING IN THAT FORSAKEN BOOK.
— How do you think could I PROVE THE PRIEST we have seen a walking, headless creature, YOU MOUNTAIN-DWELLING MORON?!
Oh, you're right, Niccolo realizes.
Kyoli, who has been waiting for the last 3 seasons for the bartender, sighs at the idiocy of the Buonvallense, and decides to begin talking.

In his decently deep voice ( [xD] ), he walk over to the women and says

[tɛɣ̠ɢ iʔai-oi-poʔ-oi ɠuin] (The ɣ̠ is a voiceless non-rhotic uvular fricative)

[tɛɣ̠ɢ iʔai-oi-poʔ-oi ɠuin] an invisible female voice lightly says.

He realizes that his lisp prevents his translator from working, and attempts to enunciate better

[tɛχq ikai-oi͜ɛː-poʔ͜p-oi͜eː ɠuiːn]

[tɛq θæt ɪ́z oi͜e ǽnɪ̌mæɫ] an invisible female voice says

He taps the underside of his jaw, and then speaks in a garbled english and hopes that the woman understands

[wat ɪs kain ænɪmál]
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Noccolo, did you hear that man, Lefric said, slowly opening the door leading out of the restroom.
Right – we have argued over ourselves and we forgot to talk to other people — and even trade with them.
Niccolo goes back to his place, and Lefric quickly follows; and both try not to look at the headless creature.

Thou there, Lefric waves his hand at Kyoli, what is thine name and where art thou from?
Which he would pronounce like this: [θɵʊ̯ ðɛɻ| ʍɑt ɪz ðɘɪ̯n næːm ænd ʍɛːɻ‿əɻt̚‿θɵʊ̯ fɾɔm]

Niccolo sits on his seat, curiously watching Lefrics attempt at communicating with a being unknown to both of them.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

((I was thinking about popping into this thread... But I'm very confused now. Wasn't this supposed to be a thread with a magic pub that lets everyone understand one another into which people are transported somewhat randomly from their own world? What's actually going on now!?

BTW, I am used to the convention of using double parentheses to indicate out of character commentary.))
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:((I was thinking about popping into this thread... But I'm very confused now. Wasn't this supposed to be a thread with a magic pub that lets everyone understand one another into which people are transported somewhat randomly from their own world? What's actually going on now!?

BTW, I am used to the convention of using double parentheses to indicate out of character commentary.))

I thought so, too, but some people have their own translation devices which seem to override the magic.
I provided a transcription of Lefric's speech just to give an impression of a West Country-style early Modern English accent (in addition to the outdated pronouns and verb inflections).
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:((I was thinking about popping into this thread... But I'm very confused now. Wasn't this supposed to be a thread with a magic pub that lets everyone understand one another into which people are transported somewhat randomly from their own world? What's actually going on now!?

((Well, the magic fails to account for his lisp! And the fact that he speaks a nonstandard dialect of a Dishashtran language (again, may or may not be a genetic phylum). Also, if it's say telepathic, then certain details for example the beast episode ))

Egerius wrote:Niccolo, did you hear that man, Lefric said, slowly opening the door leading out of the restroom.
Right – we have argued over ourselves and we forgot to talk to other people — and even trade with them.
Niccolo goes back to his place, and Lefric quickly follows; and both try not to look at the headless creature.

Thou there, Lefric waves his hand at Kyoli, what is thine name and where art thou from?
Which he would pronounce like this: [θɵʊ̯ ðɛɻ| ʍɑt ɪz ðɘɪ̯n næːm ænd ʍɛːɻ‿əɻt̚‿θɵʊ̯ fɾɔm]

Niccolo sits on his seat, curiously watching Lefrics attempt at communicating with a being unknown to both of them.
Kyoli sighs again, disappointed that there's no way to avoid conversation with the two "idiot" Buonvallense
"I am Kyoli and from Kusha Kingdom. Why you talk to me? [In an obviously irritated manner]"
(He ruffles his cloak, ultimately revealing him to be wearing a black tunic under the cloak. More noticibly the inside of the cloak is littered with bottles filled with glowing liquids in a myriad of colors. After a couple of seconds they stop glowing in the bright light of the tavern. In the back of his cloak, a shimmering (presumably metal) object is partially obscured by his body. It appears to be a large medallion of some sort based on the engravings, but it's roughly triangular blade-like shape seems to contradict that.)
"You know what I'm selling. So does your dope friend over there"
(He points to Niccolo)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I talk with you because nobody has a-talked with with you.
And the man over there is a fairly competent merchaunt at which side I absolve my apprenticeship. He is arrogant, but no worse than I am.