(C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: (C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by elemtilas » Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:56

LinguoFranco wrote:
Mon 06 Aug 2018, 03:53
I want to present a magic system I'm working on for a critique, but I'm concerned about people stealing my ideas.
Looks like you're in a bit of a pickle! You want a critique of something, but it seems you don't want the critique bad enough to post here on account of trade secrets being stolen.

Your concern is 100% legitimate. If your idea is good, it is certainly "borrow" worthy! Even if it's just someone here who likes some motif and fits it into their own work.

All I can say is if you want the critique bad enough, you'll suck up your concerns and post enough of your idea to give a good critique, or send it privately to a couple different folks. I'm happy to take a look at it privately if you like.

If we stuff the whole chicken back into the egg, will all our problems go away? --- Wandalf of Angera
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem » Wed 15 Aug 2018, 22:07

My personal experience is that ideas are a dime a dozen; what really matters is execution. And two people will often take the same core idea and run in two very different ways with it.

I'd say posting your ideas for critique—especially of world aspects or magic systems—you have very little to worry about.

(Posting actual prose, however, does run the risk of plagiarism, or running afoul of publishers. That's a very different thing)

But, that's my two cents. You're free to post or not post stuff as you please. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
hoeroathlo
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by hoeroathlo » Fri 21 Sep 2018, 04:42

does this make any sense at all? its really late and i'm half asleep making up stuff, and to me it does
/pt̪u/ --> /pθu/ --> /pθu/ --> /pθʷ/ --> /ɸʷ/ --> /ɸ/
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness

Post by shimobaatar » Fri 21 Sep 2018, 05:00

hoeroathlo wrote:
Fri 21 Sep 2018, 04:42
does this make any sense at all? its really late and i'm half asleep making up stuff, and to me it does
This is the thread for quick questions about conworlds and concultures, so this would probably be a better question for the equivalent thread about conlangs.

That aside, the lenition of a stop next to another stop seems fine to me, as does the labialization (although I don't know how likely /u/ would be to drop if this were a monosyllabic word). The loss of labialization on a labial consonant is also nothing weird. The only part that I'm really unsure about is /pθʷ/ > /ɸʷ/.

Perhaps someone else could weigh in on that?
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus » Fri 21 Sep 2018, 11:23

shimobaatar wrote:
Fri 21 Sep 2018, 05:00
hoeroathlo wrote:
Fri 21 Sep 2018, 04:42
This is the thread for quick questions about conworlds and concultures, so this would probably be a better question for the equivalent thread about conlangs.

That aside, the lenition of a stop next to another stop seems fine to me, as does the labialization (although I don't know how likely /u/ would be to drop if this were a monosyllabic word). The loss of labialization on a labial consonant is also nothing weird. The only part that I'm really unsure about is /pθʷ/ > /ɸʷ/.

Perhaps someone else could weigh in on that?
It sems unlikely as a single leap to me, but that doesn't matter - you can very easily make pθʷ > pɸʷ > ɸʷ