Random Conworld idea thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
mira
greek
greek

Re: Random Conworld idea thread

Post by mira »

I've been thinking about doing some con-world-ing and creating a fictional version of a ~40km diameter man-made island city I started designing a while ago. The point of it was to be a fresh start of sorts in which this giant structure would be built in the ocean and utilise modern technology to its full extent and to base as much of its design and ruling on the advancement of knowledge and technology, rather than capitalism and money, those two of which being very minor parts of it. It would be set around 2050-2060 with no differences in current history, but it would be interesting to see what I can come up with as a con-culture that would - if it were real - be almost literally, a constructed culture... a con-con-culture...
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Had a brainstorming session this morning, probably won't use any of these:

- A society where some factor consistently kills off all adults by the age of 20, but leaves kids alone. How would they adapt?

- A society with a status game where the more missing limbs you have, the higher your status. Individuals who can afford servants to care for them purposefully amputate themselves to participate.

- A biome/environment where humans/the local sapients are subject to gravity... but nothing else is.

- A sapient species that communicates by leaving scented chemical markings on surfaces for other members of their species to find.

- A species made of a cloud of nanomachine particles, with a sapient intelligence distributed across the cloud. An "individual" is just a continuous pocket of gas.

- A sapient planet where the cognitive algorithms are computed (very slowly) through plate tectonics.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Micamo wrote:- A society with a status game where the more missing limbs you have, the higher your status. Individuals who can afford servants to care for them purposefully amputate themselves to participate.
What would happen to people born with missing limbs, or as siamese twins? And what about people born with a parasitic twin, which makes them look as if the involved individual had more limbs to use (but, obviously, can't)?
Proposed name: Planet Tenochtitlan
Last edited by Egerius on 02 Sep 2016 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Egerius wrote:What would happen to people born with missing limbs, or as siamese twins? And what about people born with a parasitic twin, which makes them look as if the involved individual had more limbs to use (but, obviously, can't)?
I dunno! That's the fun part.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Micamo wrote:Had a brainstorming session this morning, probably won't use any of these:

- A society where some factor consistently kills off all adults by the age of 20, but leaves kids alone. How would they adapt?
Like this
- A society with a status game where the more missing limbs you have, the higher your status. Individuals who can afford servants to care for them purposefully amputate themselves to participate.
That's bizarre enough to be interesting!

Kind of like self mutilation & cutting culture *here*.
- A biome/environment where humans/the local sapients are subject to gravity... but nothing else is.
[}:(] No fun that!
- A sapient species that communicates by leaving scented chemical markings on surfaces for other members of their species to find.
Formic
- A species made of a cloud of nanomachine particles, with a sapient intelligence distributed across the cloud. An "individual" is just a continuous pocket of gas.
Reminiscent of the Founders (Star Trek), though in that case their Great Link was a kind of sludgy liquid.
- A sapient planet where the cognitive algorithms are computed (very slowly) through plate tectonics.
This I like much!

You'd have to be a pretty patient soul to use this kind of calculator!

Lots of good ideas in here! Any one of them is worthy of fresh perspective and new treatment.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Micamo wrote:- A society where some factor consistently kills off all adults by the age of 20, but leaves kids alone. How would they adapt?
Really annoyingly, if Little Lamplight is any indication.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

something I proposed for a conworld, but it seems to have been repealed:

--------

Flac:

Flac is a kind of non-avian, herbivorous dinosaur belonging to the family Protoceratopsidae.

Flacs are larger than their ancestors, an average grown up flac is about 3.6 meters in length and 1.2 meter in shoulder height, and the average weight of a grown up flac is about 1.5 tons. like other Protoceratopsidae dinosaurs, flacs are social animals, they usually live in groups.

Flacs have been domesticated, and except for not being able to produce milk, flacs are similar to cows of our world, they are used as a source of meat, and are also used for agriculture.

--------

Beo:

Beo is a kind of carnivorous lizard belonging to the family Varanidae.

An average grown up beo is about 150 cm in length and 80 cm in shoulder height, and the average weight of a grown up beo is about 30-50kg.

Beos are social animals, they live in group and a group of beos often hunt together, especially when hunting larger animals.

Beos don't usually attack human beings, but they have become one of the greatest threats to livestocks.

--------

Sog:

Sog is the domesticated version of Beo.

Like Beos, sogs are social animals, they usually live in groups.

Sogs are very loyal to their owners, human beings use sogs to guard their house, to steer animals, to help hunting and to do a variety of works, and sogs are one of the most popular pets among May-speaking peoples.

There's a great variety of Sogs, different breeds of sogs are used for different purposes.

--------

Wugger:

Wugger is a kind of omnivorous bird.

An average wugger is about 30 cm tall, they can't fly, and they look like blue kiwis.

Wuggers are domesticated animal, they are used as a source for meat, and some people also keep them as pets, aa they look cute.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

k1234567890y wrote: Flac:

Flac is a kind of non-avian, herbivorous dinosaur belonging to the family Protoceratopsidae.

Flacs are larger than their ancestors, an average grown up flac is about 3.6 meters in length and 1.2 meter in shoulder height, and the average weight of a grown up flac is about 1.5 tons. like other Protoceratopsidae dinosaurs, flacs are social animals, they usually live in groups.
What is a flock of flax called?
Flacs have been domesticated, and except for not being able to produce milk, flacs are similar to cows of our world, they are used as a source of meat, and are also used for agriculture.
Perhaps the eggs are edible?
Beo:

Beo is a kind of carnivorous lizard belonging to the family Varanidae.

An average grown up beo is about 150 cm in length and 80 cm in shoulder height, and the average weight of a grown up beo is about 30-50kg.

Beos are social animals, they live in group and a group of beos often hunt together, especially when hunting larger animals.

Beos don't usually attack human beings, but they have become one of the greatest threats to livestocks.

--------

Sog:

Sog is the domesticated version of Beo.

Like Beos, sogs are social animals, they usually live in groups.

Sogs are very loyal to their owners, human beings use sogs to guard their house, to steer animals, to help hunting and to do a variety of works, and sogs are one of the most popular pets among May-speaking peoples.

There's a great variety of Sogs, different breeds of sogs are used for different purposes.
I'm guessing these are wolf and dog analogues? Do people employ sogs in hunting beos? Or at least watch over the flocks of flax by night?
Wugger:

Wugger is a kind of omnivorous bird.

An average wugger is about 30 cm tall, they can't fly, and they look like blue kiwis.

Wuggers are domesticated animal, they are used as a source for meat, and some people also keep them as pets, aa they look cute.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

elemtilas wrote:
What is a flock of flax called?
undecided, maybe we can call them "a herd of flax"?
elemtilas wrote: Perhaps the eggs are edible?
yes
elemtilas wrote: I'm guessing these are wolf and dog analogues? Do people employ sogs in hunting beos? Or at least watch over the flocks of flax by night?
yes they are the analogues of wolves and dogs and sogs do watch over flocks of flax (:
elemtilas wrote: Image
XD you got it (:

maybe you can employ these animals for one of your conworlds? (:
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

k1234567890y wrote:. . . "a herd of flax"? . . . sogs . . . beos . . .

Well, The World is rather dinosaur impoverished at this time in its history, though, obviously both the modern dragon and the kindreds of birds are essentially dinosaurs. If it's amenable to you, I'd like to borrow these as names for their more common World analogues.

As for the wugger, there are already wugyarave, a kind of cute blue bird, in The World!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

elemtilas wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:. . . "a herd of flax"? . . . sogs . . . beos . . .

Well, The World is rather dinosaur impoverished at this time in its history, though, obviously both the modern dragon and the kindreds of birds are essentially dinosaurs. If it's amenable to you, I'd like to borrow these as names for their more common World analogues.

As for the wugger, there are already wugyarave, a kind of cute blue bird, in The World!
sure, just go for it (:

how about having a world that is full of mice?(Egerius will love it?)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

k1234567890y wrote:sure, just go for it (:
Cool! Now to find out where those names are so used...
how about having a world that is full of mice?(Egerius will love it?)
Chinchillas me thought. Anyway, there are certainly a number of interesting rodentia in Gea. I think we've already met a couple different kinds of squirrels, both cute-n-cuddly and wicked bastards. There are a couple kinds of eight-legged marsupial rodent-esque-ia, there are armored rats (brilliant blighters when it comes to sapping under a fortress's defenses and eating the besieged out of house and larder), there are the great leaping rats of Quantasia, the queens of which put them to use in their cavalries. There are wheefins, a kind of blue furred rat with a white furred face, big round ears and two big round marks on his belly --- these have a certain liking for thaumic mushrooms and herbalists and wizards sometimes use tamed wheefins to sniff out the fungus.

Back in the old days, the Daine of what is now Westmarche had in their local folklore the figure of King Rat: He steals children, steals food from starving families, snitches on Daine to the City Guards, traps and sells people into slavery, traps and turns people over to the City Guard, sides with Men in their activities to torture and make Daine miserable. He is variously depicted as a giant rat; a ratlike Man or a Manlike rat.

There are, somewhere in the broad Southlands, wide realms ruled by several kindreds of wererodents. I dreamt one time about a revolt against Rat rule in one of their subject realms. The rebels captured the Rat King and his Queen. The rebels (Daine and Men mostly) were about to flay the Queen when the King came charging back into the city with hordes of wererodents at his back, retaking the city and quashing the rebellion.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I have long had some ideas about the institution of a country that is a part of its law, which is stated as below:

Part of the law:

1. every adult male is a subject of a compulsory military service, every male that is 18 years old must serve in the military for at least two years, and they are only allowed to attend university after serving in the military
2. everyone must have at least two years of full-time working experience before they can do a self-employed job(except for some jobs with intensive physical works like farmers), start their own business school, work for non-profit organizations, get married, or study for graduate degree(master and doctorate degree); and everyone must have at least five years of full-time working experience before they are allowed to be a civil servant(unless they want to be teachers, military personnel, firefighters and polices, or the job is unskilled and is a physical work), military service is not counted as a part of working experience. That is, undergraduate degree is the highest degree one can have without any working experience.
3. part-time job experience is necessary for all senior high school students and university students studying for an undergraduate degree, high school students and university students studying for an undergraduate degree can't receive certificate if they don't do a part-time job for enough time.
4. if a person can't do his or her first full-time job for at least one full year, he or she is counted as having no working experience.
5. the right to use the inheritance and "excessive" property(all properties of a person that is beyond what is necessary for life) of a person is frozen when a person is 20 years old, the person can't have any access to them before he or she is at least 25 years old and has at least two years of full-time working experience, and they don't have full access to them before they are 40 years old.
6. in the past, strikes, sabotages or any behavior related to them was strictly prohibited, and labour unions were seen as criminal organizations. Nowadays, labour unions, strikes, sabotages or any behavior related to them have been leagalized, but labour unions are still very weak and can practically do nothing for worker's rights.

High school system of that country:

1. like most countries, high school is divided into junior high schools and senior high schools
2. one attends to junior high school for two years and senior high school for four years
3. junior high school is a part of compulsory education, senior high school is not a part of compulsory education.
4. there are two kinds of senior high school: grammar school and vocational school
5. vocational schools focus on teaching students practical skills that will be used in works; grammar schools teach more theoretical things to students as a preparation for college.
6. everyone who attends to a senior high school attends to a vocational schools first, then those who wants to go to college transfers to a grammar school by taking a transferring at the end of the first year of senior high school, but after that, vocational school students still have a chance to transfer to grammar school, but the difficulty of the exam for transferring becomes much more difficult.
7. as a result of 6., grammar school has only three grades: grade 2, grade 3 and grade 4.
8. for those who choose to stay in vocational schools, high school is basically the last years of their school days.
9. up to 15% of high school students can transfer to grammar schools.

Customary institution, not a part of the law:

1. the first full-time job of anyone with an undergraduate degree is usually a salesperson or a customer service job, regardless of their personalities, interests, abilities, etc., that is, socializing with people is an important part for the first job of many people.
2. the first full-time job of anyone with a high school degree or less is usually a costumer service job, a blue-collar job or a job with intensive physical works.
3. part-time jobs done by school students are usually a costumer service job, a blue-collar job or a job with intensive physical works.

I might need to write more in the future, and there might be a lot of problems with the setting.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

k1234567890y wrote:I have long had some ideas about the institution of a country that is a part of its law, which is stated as below:
Wow, this is very detailed, and I hope very much that you'll expand on this and tell us more about this country and the people that live there!

Otherwise, all I can say is how thankful I am not to live in that country! Some of these laws do make excellent sense; but I think the government that promulgated them has far too much power. But it's still interesting to read about even the places you wouldn't want to stay long term!
1. every adult male is a subject of a compulsory military service, every male that is 18 years old must serve in the military for at least two years, and they are only allowed to attend university after serving in the military
This I actually think makes very good sense, though why discriminate against the young women? They should be in on this, too.

Question: what is the nature of this two year stint? Are all these young men cannon fodder, or this more like some kind of social training / practical experience thing? At the end of the two years, is it possible to continue on with a military career?

I believe it's Israel that has such a law. Switzerland I think also has similar laws. Very sensible.
2. everyone must have at least two years of full-time working experience before they can do a self-employed job(except for some jobs with intensive physical works like farmers), start their own business school, work for non-profit organizations, get married, or study for graduate degree(master and doctorate degree); and everyone must have at least five years of full-time working experience before they are allowed to be a civil servant(unless they want to be teachers, military personnel, firefighters and polices, or the job is unskilled and is a physical work), military service is not counted as a part of working experience. That is, undergraduate degree is the highest degree one can have without any working experience.
This makes some sense as well, though am not sure I'd like for this kind of meddling to be enshrined in law. I think one of the biggest problems in (American) politics and academia is too many people think they know what's best for everyone else, as far as economic policy and governance go, when they have absolutely zero practical experience ìn the economy.
5. the right to use the inheritance and "excessive" property(all properties of a person that is beyond what is necessary for life) of a person is frozen when a person is 20 years old, the person can't have any access to them before he or she is at least 25 years old and has at least two years of full-time working experience, and they don't have full access to them before they are 40 years old.
This is bad law, in my opinion. Government has too much power and and its fingers are too deeply entrenched in the lives of the people. Micromanagement from on high rarely works well.
6. in the past, strikes, sabotages or any behavior related to them was strictly prohibited, and labour unions were seen as criminal organizations. Nowadays, labour unions, strikes, sabotages or any behavior related to them have been leagalized, but labour unions are still very weak and can practically do nothing for worker's rights.
Generally speaking, I find that as time has gone on, labour unions have lost their purpose and no longer serve a real need. Back in the day, however, they were vital in securing rights for laborers who really were being exploited by their employers.

Now that they're legalised in this setting, be on the look-out for their rise in prominence! (And perhaps also a top-level crack down when they start to go after some of the labor laws on the books in this country!)
High school system of that country:

1. like most countries, high school is divided into junior high schools and senior high schools
2. one attends to junior high school for two years and senior high school for four years
3. junior high school is a part of compulsory education, senior high school is not a part of compulsory education.
4. there are two kinds of senior high school: grammar school and vocational school
5. vocational schools focus on teaching students practical skills that will be used in works; grammar schools teach more theoretical things to students as a preparation for college.
6. everyone who attends to a senior high school attends to a vocational schools first,
Is this two year stint in vocational school part of the four year senior HS, or in addition to the four years of senior HS?

then those who wants to go to college transfers to a grammar school by taking a transferring at the end of the first year of senior high school, but after that, vocational school students still have a chance to transfer to grammar school, but the difficulty of the exam for transferring becomes much more difficult.
Makes sense.
7. as a result of 6., grammar school has only three grades: grade 2, grade 3 and grade 4.
This is now confusing (in addition to the confusing terminology (I'm used to "grammar school" being for little children, and "high school" being for more elderly children): I thought high school was four years in this system; how is it that there are only three grades?
8. for those who choose to stay in vocational schools, high school is basically the last years of their school days.
9. up to 15% of high school students can transfer to grammar schools.
Are these the same students that you mention above that in order to transfer must sit for some exams?
I'm guessing this 15% is the same bunch that must undergo the transfer exams above?
Will be interested to see what you come up with!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

elemtilas wrote: This makes some sense as well, though am not sure I'd like for this kind of meddling to be enshrined in law. I think one of the biggest problems in (American) politics and academia is too many people think they know what's best for everyone else, as far as economic policy and governance go, when they have absolutely zero practical experience ìn the economy.
ok (:
elemtilas wrote: Question: what is the nature of this two year stint? Are all these young men cannon fodder, or this more like some kind of social training / practical experience thing? At the end of the two years, is it possible to continue on with a military career?

I believe it's Israel that has such a law. Switzerland I think also has similar laws. Very sensible.
they have full minitary trainings during the year, and it is possible to continue on with a military career and to become a professional military personnel.
elemtilas wrote: Is this two year stint in vocational school part of the four year senior HS, or in addition to the four years of senior HS?
part of senior HS
elemtilas wrote: This is now confusing (in addition to the confusing terminology (I'm used to "grammar school" being for little children, and "high school" being for more elderly children): I thought high school was four years in this system; how is it that there are only three grades?!
because in the first year every high school student is in vocational school.

and maybe I should change a terminology for "grammar school", by "grammar school" here I mean senoir high schools that tech "normal" subjects for students that want to seek an academic career.
elemtilas wrote: This is bad law, in my opinion. Government has too much power and and its fingers are too deeply entrenched in the lives of the people. Micromanagement from on high rarely works well.
ok (:
elemtilas wrote: Are these the same students that you mention above that in order to transfer must sit for some exams?
they need to pass tranfer exam.
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

I have a few science fiction setting ideas that don't really fit in well with my Unnamed Sci-Fi World.

1. A generation ship where the descendants of the original crew have more or less decided that the original mission is bunk and they should go do their own thing. Their own thing involves stopping a star system early, tearing apart asteroids and a moon orbiting a gas giant for parts, and setting up an orbital colony so they can finally have some new surroundings for once.

2. A planet that was in the process of being terraformed when funding ran out. The resulting half-terraformed world has an only mostly-habitable atmosphere, not nearly enough water to be comfortable, and is more or less still settling into actually having weather patterns so it tends to spring random horribleness on you without warning. Fun!

3. Another in-process terraforming, but this one went particularly wonky and now everyone has to live underground because it's slowly turning into Venus up there. Life is a desperate attempt to fix things before everyone gets cooked to death.

And finally, one that can actually fit my Unnamed Sci-Fi World but is pretty far removed from it.

4. Quite a while ago, a human colony was kicked out of the galactic community by the local Sufficiently Advanced Aliens as a show of force. As in, the planet was delicately plucked from its orbit and dropped into orbit around a different star. In the Large Magellanic Cloud. These particular Sufficiently Advanced Aliens are not subtle.

Anyway since then, the colony has spread out (since there's suddenly all this unclaimed space and everything), and split into three major empires and a humongous host of independent communities. Each of these is more or less a way for me to experiment with different sci-fi tropes without them intruding into the stories of Unnamed Sci-Fi World. There's a prison planet, a theocratic empire (Rhanis), a terrifying independent offshoot of said theocratic empire (which I've changed the name of about a dozen times by now), a despotic militaristic empire with cloned soldiers (Mialas), an empire with every single kind of corporate and bureaucratic corruption you can think of (Elias or Emlias or something like that), space pirates, scary hyperspace monsters, etc etc etc.

There's also a horrible prion disease called FReSE (pronounced "fress," stands for Fabber-Related Spongiform Encephalopathy) that's more or less become an epidemic in some communities because if one person cluelessly feeds contaminated matter into a protein fabricator, that fabber's entire output will be contaminated.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I got an idea of a group of aliens living on a rogue planet when I was taking a shower...

Being a rogue planet, there's no enough light reaching the planet except for some rays from faraway stars, and a thick atmosphere blocks those starlights, too, although a thick atmosphere also enables the existence of liquid water on the planet.

As a result, most animals there don't have eyes, and they use sonar(or biological echolocation) to "see" things, beings on the planet directly or indirectly rely on geothermal energies to survive, and ecosystem are geothermal-based; on the other hand, thanks to the thickness of the atmosphere, many animals of that planet can float in the atmosphere like how aquatic animals swim in water.

There's a kind of intellectual being, the intellectual being of the planet looks like jellyfish or octopus, but like other animals on the planet, they have no eyes and are blind and rely on sonar system to "see" things; nonetheless, they still have ways to know the existence of light: lights can sometimes induce chemical reactions, and the research of electromagnetic force can also lead to the knowledge of light eventually.

Below is a rough concept of the intellectual being on that planet:

To Firebird766:
Your ideas sound nice and interesting, can anyone borrow any of the ideas for their own use? (:
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

k1234567890y wrote:I got an idea of a group of aliens living on a rogue planet when I was taking a shower...

There's a kind of intellectual being, the intellectual being of the planet looks like jellyfish or octopus, but like other animals on the planet, they have no eyes and are blind and rely on sonar system to "see" things; nonetheless, they still have ways to know the existence of light: lights can sometimes induce chemical reactions, and the research of electromagnetic force can also lead to the knowledge of light eventually.
Spoiler:
Cool! I hope you'll work on this one a little more!

How will they communicate? Tactile language? Modified echolocation?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

elemtilas wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:I got an idea of a group of aliens living on a rogue planet when I was taking a shower...

Spoiler:
Cool! I hope you'll work on this one a little more!

How will they communicate? Tactile language? Modified echolocation?
either is possible, another way is hormone, although I personally prefer them to use a sound-based way to communicate, maybe modified echolocation or another sound channel.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote:I have a few science fiction setting ideas that don't really fit in well with my Unnamed Sci-Fi World.
These all sound pleasantly dysfunctional! Perhaps they could coalesce into a single setting, perhaps way out on the fringes of USFW? Like the Federation, only nowhere near as clean and spiffy!

Even if they remain separate, any one of them would be interesting to explore!