The State of Melville; Discover a post-contemporary State

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Yiuel
MVP
MVP

The State of Melville; Discover a post-contemporary State

Post by Yiuel »

856 years have past since the foundation of Melville and today is my 24th anniversary. I really am not lucky; my birthday is right on July 15th, and the only interesting thing happening in Sevy on that day is a huge recital of Melville's national anthem and dance, with the traditionnal throughout lecture of the whole Constitution of the State. I remember the first time I read the whole document; I still remember the first article because, frankly, it IS scary.

"Totu ajo de den cshi mondo naskintasa libere fari an ajnio ke vola far sejo."

Oh, the Constitution is written in the Common Language of Melville (CLM). Quite easy to learn, thanks to the Academy of the Common Language. But since you probably cannot read CLM, I'll translate : "All things in the world are born free to do whatever they want." Melville's Constitution really does start with that article. Two further articles are added, which say that all things can join and leave groups at will. These three articles are called in CLM : "Tresu Bazbazleczho" or, in English, the Three Fundamental Laws.

I arrived in Melville at 18 years old, a little less than 6 years ago. I was arriving from the city of Muryal, where I was born. Going on an airplane to arrive at Sevy, the Big City, on the continent was quite an experience. During high school, I had focussed on learning CLM to be sure I would be ready when I would arrive in Sevy. And I wasn't deceived by the books. When I got on the plane, a message was given in my own language, Elfhans, but then came my first contact with Melvillian CLM, and I was able to understand it. But then, you have to cross about 5 hours on a plane to arrive in Sevy.

And then, the airport. It's one huge airport. Or so I thought at first, and then you arrive at the customs. For Melvillian Residents, the process is so easy; you go to the gate, show you residency card, and you are in. But when you are not, like I was 6 years ago when I decided to study in Sevy, I had to go through a rather different process.

First, you have a gate where you state the length of your intended stay. It's all with computers, and I could have done everything in Elfhans if I had wanted to, but I used the CLM tools just because. I later learned that if your stay is for less than a month, the process is quite quick, when it is for more than a month but less then a year, it's a little longer. But when it is over a year, like I intended (indefinite), you have to go through a full process of identification. Since Muryal has diplomatic relations with Melville, the process is made a little easier, as Melville can ask Muryal whether I have any criminal history.

They then hand you a copy of Melville's Constitution and of Sevy's Constitution. The copy is in CLM, but you can also get translations; I got one in Elfhans to compare with the original*.

*The original, here, does not mean the original constitution. Actually, the original constitution might have been written in a language different from CLM altogether. History tells us however that three versions were created; one in French (the language of Hundred-Houses at the time, they now speak a daughter language entirely), one in English (the language of Bayville at the time, they switched to Sevean, a daughter (and natural) language of CLM) and finally one in and old version of CLM, clearly close to Esperanto (which was the official language of Fjordville, and the common tongue of Delta). CLM was made at the same time the sole official language of Melville, and if people of two different linguistic background have to rely on a law, the CLM version has precedence over any other language.

You are asked to read at least the first ten articles and then present yourself at the counter where you state your native language or, if nobody can speak your language, the language in which you wish to receive your interview. I thought at first to go in CLM, but I remembered that Melvillians don't expect people to actually speak CLM, but their own language as much as possible, so I decided to do my interview in Elfhans.

The woman who greated me was quite pleasant, and she spoke native Elfhans. She said that she was born in the Muryal neighborhood of Sevy and had grown there. I told her that I didn't have the intention to join the neighborhood, I had plans to live around the University of Melville, and study physics there, and that I would probably live somewhere in the Neutral neighborhood. She was quite surprised, but she welcomed me.

She asked me a couple more questions on my intentions, what I think about Melville and Sevy. She asked me also what I thought about Muryal and the existence of the Muryal neighborhood in Sevy. She also asked me if I had read the first 10 articles of the Constitution. I had, to which she asked me whether I had any questions about it. I asked about the meaning of the 1st article, and she said that Melville was based on that very article. She explained a little bit the logic behind it, and got to understand why being all free was so important to Melville. At last, she asked me whether I agree with the four points of the tenth article. I said that I completely do, and that I would eagerly read the Constitution and any other available information about Melville and my new city Sevy. And you know what, she actually gave me a full guide on Melville and Sevy, in Elfhans, though I also asked her to give me a version in CLM.

After, you must cross the inspection. You are asked whether you are aware of any diseases that you could be carrying. I had only some asthma, to which I was told that I should take an appointment with a doctor as soon as I have settled down. It is, anyway, a standard procedure for those staying more than a month. Finally, they check all your luggages. There are forbidden substances in Melville, but I had none of them on me. Melville also pretty much accepts that you bring pretty much anything you want. A few boxes would arrive later : I would have to be there for their inspection when they arrive in Sevy.

Not too complicated to immigrate to Melville, pretty much as I was told. I then finally crossed the border...

Melville is quite open to immigration. While it has embassies in non-Melvillian cities, none take care of immigration. Indeed, there isn't much done in Melvillian embassies. Most duties are actually carried by embassies founded by the different cities. Indeed, Melville's largest Embassy in Muryal is actually the Embassy of Sevy. Redbridge, the second largest city of Melville, has its own embassy in Muryal. A few other cities also have an embassy. Melville itself has its own embassy, and it also hosts delegates from smaller cities that have only a few relations with Muryal. (Many of these small cities have their unique embassy in Sevy, where it also relates with foreign embassies. Diplomacy in Melville is very different from current diplomacy.)

Immigration services themselves are all grouped at the entry points of Melville. The biggest, and most convienient, ones are those around Sevy. Most boats arrive by Port-Melville, a neighborhood on a great island facing Sevy's downtown, and that is still the main port of entry in 856. A point of entry was also installed at the airport of Sevy ever since some non-Melvillian cities have built airports. The biggest international link to this day is still between Sevy and Muryal, which explains why our friend didn't get any issues.

On the 900th aniversary of Melville, Muryal will actually join Sevy, which would mean that if our friend had waited for 44 years, he could have joined Melville without going to Sevy. However, it wasn't the first Elfhans city not founded as Melvillian to join Melville; this would go to Supeyor, their westernmost city. It joined only a few years after our friend's 24th anniversary.
Ie Ien Iras Ĉiu
- Daneydzaus
Te tosrastai karsuraka me toskarmai!
- Yau 300-yai

:qbc: [tick], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:D], :epo: [:D], :jpn: [:D], :swe: [:|]
shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: The State of Melville; Discover a post-contemporary Stat

Post by shanoxilt »

Is this a world where auxiliary languages became more popular? Or is it just a future version of an existing Romance language?
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.
sangi39

Re: The State of Melville; Discover a post-contemporary Stat

Post by sangi39 »

shanoxilt wrote:Is this a world where auxiliary languages became more popular? Or is it just a future version of an existing Romance language?
Yiuel's not logged on to the CBB since 24 Jul 2015 and this single post is from 2013. I'm not entirely sure you'll get a reply. Personally, rather than resurrecting a four-years-long dead thread, I would have PMed Yiuel and hoped for a response.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.