Diachronic Conlanging open world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Re: Diachronic Conlanging open world

Post by Keenir »

k1234567890y wrote: Is it possible that the land of Ydtobogan speakers is so abundant in some kinds of natural food resources(for example, wild large seed grasses, fish, etc.) that could support the rise of chiefdoms even before they had agriculture?
isn't that what some have suggested as the means the Pacific Northwest IRL managed it?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Keenir wrote: isn't that what some have suggested as the means the Pacific Northwest IRL managed it?
yes, you got it :)
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I added images of the Ancient Ljen and the Ancient Dane areas. Ancient Ljen looks bigger than I expected.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Kawdek
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Kawdek »

After much time I have continued my work into the Caayukuri languages. I was going to wait for the Latian and Ular languages to be fleshed out a bit more to account for borrowings, but I suppose I can do that later in any case. Not very inspired at this point, but it occupies a certain "niche" I suppose.
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

I made a whole-world map! It would be awesome if we tried to use versions of this map from now on because the resolution is way higher than before!

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...

Languages: English, Mandarin, Basque, Durv Mendỹ, Shanghainese
Visit Teles! And join the project!
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

Here's my attempt to finalize the precise definitions of the regions of Teles: Amutet, Avesta, Amalan, Ular, Caayukuric Islands, Nautlic Islands, Tungwana, Hanaic Islands.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

smappy wrote:Here's my attempt to finalize the precise definitions of the regions of Teles: Amutet, Avesta, Amalan, Ular, Caayukuric Islands, Nautlic Islands, Tungwana, Hanaic Islands.

Hmm. I have a slightly different view; Amalan contains that upper peninsula (I believe that the peninsulas connect, the current map leaves no answer to that question.) Avesta is also smaller, with a line from the two bays defining the continents
Last edited by qwed117 on 30 Mar 2015 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Rabotaju
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Rabotaju »

I'm back. Sorry about being gone for many months. What have I missed?
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

qwed117 wrote: Hmm. I have a slightly different view; Amalan contains that upper peninsula (I believe that the peninsulas connect, the current map leaves no answer to that question.) Avesta is also smaller, with a line from the two bays defining the consonants
I based my map off of what people have already posted. I'm curious about your proposal, however. Could you draw out for me what you have imagined? I can't really tell what's going on from your description.
Rabotaju wrote:I'm back. Sorry about being gone for many months. What have I missed?
Hi Rabotaju! Nice to meet you. I wasn't around when you were posting. I've basically just been making maps and streamlining the wiki, along with working on the Tiledem and Songke families.

Maps!

World:

10000 BK:

5000 BK:

loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Whether or not the northern peninsulas overlap is an interesting question. I don't know how much it could influence migration ideas because i don't think peoples would tend to migrate that close to the north pole.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Rabotaju
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Rabotaju »

smappy wrote:
qwed117 wrote: Hmm. I have a slightly different view; Amalan contains that upper peninsula (I believe that the peninsulas connect, the current map leaves no answer to that question.) Avesta is also smaller, with a line from the two bays defining the consonants
I based my map off of what people have already posted. I'm curious about your proposal, however. Could you draw out for me what you have imagined? I can't really tell what's going on from your description.
Rabotaju wrote:I'm back. Sorry about being gone for many months. What have I missed?
-snip-
Nice to meet you too! Those maps look absolutely amazing!
loglorn wrote:Whether or not the northern peninsulas overlap is an interesting question. I don't know how much it could influence migration ideas because i don't think peoples would tend to migrate that close to the north pole.
People migrated across the Bering Strait from Siberia into North America. It could happen.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Rabotaju wrote: People migrated across the Bering Strait from Siberia into North America. It could happen.
ja, and probably it is actually frequent? in fact, some scholars, like Vajda, has proposed that Yeniseian languages of Russia are connected to the Na-Dene languages of the North America; also, there are claims that Chinese people might have known Americans besides the Norse people before the time of Columbus
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

k1234567890y wrote:
Rabotaju wrote: People migrated across the Bering Strait from Siberia into North America. It could happen.
ja, and probably it is actually frequent? in fact, some scholars, like Vajda, has proposed that Yeniseian languages of Russia are connected to the Na-Dene languages of the North America; also, there are claims that Chinese people might have known Americans besides the Norse people before the time of Columbus
I feel like it might not be as important in Teles though because there's already a much easier migration route along the northern coast of Amalan. Since earlier we said that the origin of 'humans' in Teles was in central Amutet it makes sense that human migration would proceed west along the northern coast of Amutet, Avesta, and then Amalan rather than passing through the northern straits unnecessarily.

On a side note, Felbah (creator of Teles and the Amutetikam languages) seems to have vanished from both the forum and the project...so mapping out the parts of Teles not on the world map falls into our hands since we don't have access to his files.

Should someone go through and flesh out people's projects which have been left untouched for months or is this bad form? I'm really new to collaborative conworlding so I don't have the answers.

loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

I remember Felbah popping in the thread about a month or two ago, and presumably he's still in the project. If i didn't show for a couple months and people did stuff to my language i wouldn't find it very nice.

I wouldn't just go and do stuff in other people's languages but i don't know if it would be cool to mass-annoy through pm's everyone who's got a protolang here.

The gigxkpoyan languages start with a 3 000 years headstart, when i reach the normal starting point i'll contact Smtuval and Fleur (which i need for lang interaction stuff), but i don't know about the other inactive guys.

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I have been trying to figure out the diachronics and phonologies of my language family, but I haven't posted anything. All the information on it is figuratively floating in the air.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

Ahzoh wrote:All the information on it is figuratively floating in the air.
I just imagined words literally floating around in the air. [:P]

smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

Hey guys, what do you think of the changes I made to the river systems based on the terrain map so that rivers don't flow uphill like they used to?

Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

They are still the same on the Nautlic Islands, aren't they?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
smappy
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by smappy »

Creyeditor wrote:They are still the same on the Nautlic Islands, aren't they?
Pretty much.

loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

smappy wrote:Hey guys, what do you think of the changes I made to the river systems based on the terrain map so that rivers don't flow uphill like they used to?

All good except for one river which flows through desert (or steppe) from the leeward side of the mountain on northeastern Amalan. Not very naturalistic, there ain't rain to make that flow. (if I had my computer right now I'd circle it in paint)