Diachronic Conlanging open world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Diachronic Conlanging open world

Post by Felbah »

Iyionaku wrote:
Felbah wrote: We can do that. If you would like, we can name the island 'Ular' also.
I agree with that. So that southern island is called Ular, from the Early Ular word u4lar2, which means our land. Just one question: Between Ular and Malan, is there a land bridge or not?
No land bridge. They separate, just like Britain and Continental a Europe.
Fleur wrote:
Felbah wrote:If we want to Amutetikicize it, then it would need to be Amalan, but if you want to name it only Malan, I won't object.

And it would be the former. The island to the south is another continent. Considering it would be quite large, I think that that is feasible. What do you think?

Also, since you are the main landowner in Mālan/Amalan, would you like to make the wiki page?
It can be called Amalan on the wiki etc but the word for it in Latian will be *mālan.
And yep, that sounds good. I'll start making the Wiki page now [:)]

I won't put loads of detail on there though because I'm not too sure about a lot of it. So the page will probably need input from an other person or two as well.
Agreed. It will be updated as time progresses.
Egerius wrote:
Felbah wrote:Added to the map. By the way, you seem to be around a region which is very mountainous - would you like to expand there sometime and create a sort of mongol-ish culture? Because they came from mountainous regions, and you are quite close there. Also, of course, you have a huge area for expansion.

On that note, I would like to get into political history as well, such as empires and nations. They won't appear for a good few thousand years, but it would be nice to see.
The Umbrian (or Umbric?) people would probably fit into a niche between the Romans and the Greeks, abolishing the ancient kingdom in favor of a republic (wich will stay a democratic republic for some time).

For the prehistoric time, the Umbric people live in tribes (of a few hundred people each), closely in contact, as the mountains are the place of their houses and their fields are in the plains near the sea.
Although I agree with the idea of a republic, for much of history, Rome, Greece and even Venice and genoa weren't all that democratic. Just to say. Your people could have a heightened sense of the importance of democracy - I won't object.
Sḿtuval wrote:I already had a name for the continent, but it's too long and hard to "Amutetikicize" it. The name was ydtobogȧmpogie, or "central land".

Also this is my claim. I've named the region the Ydtobogȧn Peninsula.
As you said, I probably won't adopt it into Amutetikam languages. There could be a historical reason, like I contacted the Latian people first perhaps.
loglorn wrote:
Sḿtuval wrote:I already had a name for the continent, but it's too long and hard to "Amutetikicize" it. The name was ydtobogȧmpogie, or "central land".

Also this is my claim. I've named the region the Ydtobogȧn Peninsula.
Of course the different people can have different names for the land they're at. (i really doubt everybody in Asia called Asia the same)

Around 10000B.K. i will have a bunch of tribes speaking gigxkpoyan languages, can i have one of them reach your Ydtobogȧn Peninsula?
(they'd stay around the other side of the peninsula, just north of that river) You are free to kill them off and borrow substratum influences from them whenever you like.

As for the spreading of the tribes i made this map. At this stage they are definitely not a single language anymore.
Edit: By the way, do we have anything on the climate of places and such things?
I like that map! Very nice. Very accurate to how tribes may have spread.
Hi. I am DoctorMisterPorfessorSomethingorother.
My fledgeling minicity...
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

Iyionaku wrote:I have a question. How deeply do you all create your languages? Because with dozens of languages, it's not possible to create them all with thousands of words, is it?
Fleur answered well. However deeply you all want to make it. It's certainly fine to have a small-ish vocabulary - I doubt that Proto Nostratic or PIE had very large vocabularies. But really, it's as much as you want. And of course, as the cultures collide, words can be acquired.
Linguifex wrote:How do I give credit for whoever created the maps when I upload them to the Wiki? Or is it just understood?
There should be a way to insert a caption... It escapes me as to how, though.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

Finished writing system (Ydtobogȧndeki) and added a lot on noun declension in Proto-Ydtobogȧntiaky.

I have two new questions:
1. Is there anything that the project needs as of now?
2. Are we still in the proto-language stage?
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

And now, for the time that everyone has been waiting for, the revised world map!
And here it is:

Dark green: Proto-Amutetikam
Green-brown: Proto-Ulitan
Red: Proto-ǂaa Uteq
Purple: Proto-Latian
Pink: Unknown language isolate (to be named and put more in-depth later)
Light green: Proto-Ydtobogȧn
Blue: Proto-Umbric
Darker green/Khaki: Unknown language (to be named and put more in-depth later)
Blue-green: Proto-Gigxkpɔɥ
Dark Grey: Proto-Nautli
Light grey: Proto-Taic
Black: Proto-Ular

As you can see, we have a lot of different languages and language families. They all look very interesting at the present.

Also, the three continents need native names:
We know about Amutet, Amalan and Ular (which I will need to Amutetikicize also... We have no /r/... Perhaps ʊɬas?), and we are getting into depth by naming Amalan in various other languages, but we still need the names of the other continents. They can be defined by you as well as by me, so just go for your life and name them whatever you wish.

Thank you all for helping in this project. Like in the Akana conworld, I am hoping to do some challenges with two proto-langs on a far-out place, perhaps the southern continent. Only if you are happy with that.
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

Sḿtuval wrote:Finished writing system (Ydtobogȧndeki) and added a lot on noun declension in Proto-Ydtobogȧntiaky.

I have two new questions:
1. Is there anything that the project needs as of now?
2. Are we still in the proto-language stage?
1. Well, we will need some political history, some flags, some national colours for the Ydtobogȧntiaky people. We would also need cultural and religious elements to be completed. I have a good idea of what the Amutetikam religions entail, but it may be a good idea to get some of that.
2. I would say so. But that doesn't mean that you cannot plan for later on, with Empires, other languages and your linguistic spreading. I would be very interested to see how the Ydtobogȧntiaky languages spread.
zee
greek
greek

Post by zee »

I've just started thinking about how the Latian people will spread and I've come up with this:

Do you think this is good/bad/plausible/implausible ?

Also, at around 2000 or 3000 BK, there will probably be some sort of contact and language-overlapping between the Latian languages and the Ular languages (I haven't marked that on the map though, as it largely depends on what Iyionaku wants to do too)
reírítí lixa kisti o lixati reí kisti · the river god controls the fish and the fish control the river – otísil (pdf)
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Fleur wrote:I've just started thinking about how the Latian people will spread and I've come up with this:

Also, at around 2000 or 3000 BK, there will probably be some sort of contact and language-overlapping between the Latian languages and the Ular languages (I haven't marked that on the map though, as it largely depends on what Iyionaku wants to do too)
That looks kinda too small an expansion for 8 thousand years, but i don't have a clear scale so i don't know how much is that (if that is much i'll need to revise some of my ideas). Neolithic-and-before people tend to do things slowly, and that brings the question, when do we get the first bronze-age people and at 10000B.K were are we at?

I'd say that the central gigxpoyans (those around the urheimat) are just now (10000K.G) becoming sedentary and that the rest are still nomadic tribes.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

loglorn wrote:
Fleur wrote:I've just started thinking about how the Latian people will spread and I've come up with this:

That looks kinda too small an expansion for 8 thousand years, but i don't have a clear scale so i don't know how much is that (if that is much i'll need to revise some of my ideas). Neolithic-and-before people tend to do things slowly, and that brings the question, when do we get the first bronze-age people and at 10000B.K were are we at?

I'd say that the central gigxpoyans (those around the urheimat) are just now (10000K.G) becoming sedentary and that the rest are still nomadic tribes.
In my mind, 0BK/AK is around RL mid-Roman times, and 3300BCE in RL is the Early Bronze age. Therefore, the Telesic people are probably a stone age culture, with not much to do with metals as of yet. Therefore, we are probably in the Mesolithic era. I was quite unimaginative with the date system - basically making it exactly the same as RL dating systems in terms of years. However, that is not to say that your systems need to be the same. You can invent new ones if you wish.
However, I will add that Homo Sapiens is across the whole world, or at least every part of it which includes the complex languages which we have made.
Edit: And yes, I agree that it is too small of an expansion to happen over that time. Look at how far English has expanded - it didn't exist 2000 years ago, but now it covers most of the world. So I can be pretty certain that your language would expand considerably, perhaps even the maximum extent on that map, in even 1000 years. And yes, I know that English had technological help, but what about Greek, or Latin?

Also, Egerius, can I suggest moving your timeline back perhaps 1000 years? Your Urheimat looks too large to be a recent language like it is.
zee
greek
greek

Post by zee »

Okeydoke, how about this?

reírítí lixa kisti o lixati reí kisti · the river god controls the fish and the fish control the river – otísil (pdf)
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Felbah wrote:All that stuff about time periods and language's expansion
If it's like that i'll pull my sedentarism a few millenia into the future.
Fleur wrote:Okeydoke, how about this?

Seems fine. The most interesting part is that by 2000BK your area will conflict with my gigxkpoyan languages area (and probably with that very long name language family in the peninsula down there)

After 3000BK we should start working civilizations and politics to see which lang is going where.

Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

Felbah wrote:We would also need cultural and religious elements to be completed.
[:'(] I am HORRIBLE at making con-religions, and I don't want the Ydtobogȧntiaky people adopting another culture's religion...

I already had this prepared for expansion in 5000BK
It seems claims are beginning to conflict...
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

Sḿtuval wrote:
Felbah wrote:We would also need cultural and religious elements to be completed.
[:'(] I am HORRIBLE at making con-religions, and I don't want the Ydtobogȧntiaky people adopting another culture's religion...

I already had this prepared for expansion in 5000BK
It seems claims are beginning to conflict...
Remember that these are simply tribes, which could have multilingual populations. I would say that it will work out with some diplomatic negotiation between both of you.
Also, I can make a con-religion for you if you wish. I don't enjoy it as much as conlanging, but I would happily make one for you.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

The Expansion of Ulitan peoples, is this plausible?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

loglorn wrote:
Felbah wrote:All that stuff about time periods and language's expansion
If it's like that i'll pull my sedentarism a few millenia into the future.

Seems fine. The most interesting part is that by 2000BK your area will conflict with my gigxkpoyan languages area (and probably with that very long name language family in the peninsula down there)

After 3000BK we should start working civilizations and politics to see which lang is going where.
Agreed. We need to begin discussing which cultures will become empires, like Rome, and which ones stay relatively small and insignificant (not saying unsuccessful, just smaller than others...) like Basque or Quechua. Basically, I know that no-one wants to be completely left out of the empires of history, but we will decide on these important things later on.
Felbah
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Felbah »

k1234567890y wrote:Image

The Expansion of Ulitan peoples, is this plausible?
Is there any way you could add it as a google doc? I am unable to access photobucket at the present.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Here's my daily share of expansionism.

That Peninsula is be a very interesting place. When Bronze Age hits and people start killing each other at a bigger scale the linguistic diversity may not hold, but that'll make some very interesting stratum influences for everybody.

As for the empire part of history i want only the central gigxkpoyan people to be important bronze/iron age people. As they were fisherman and depended on the sea since always, they'll probably get ships early and develop as an important commercial/seafaring culture between Amalan and the westernmost continent. (The guy in the mountains may come down to the coastal area later on)

Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

loglorn wrote:Here's my daily share of expansionism.

That Peninsula is be a very interesting place. When Bronze Age hits and people start killing each other at a bigger scale the linguistic diversity may not hold, but that'll make some very interesting stratum influences for everybody.

As for the empire part of history i want only the central gigxkpoyan people to be important bronze/iron age people. As they were fisherman and depended on the sea since always, they'll probably get ships early and develop as an important commercial/seafaring culture between Amalan and the westernmost continent. (The guy in the mountains may come down to the coastal area later on)
What is more, looks like you could have some nice Norse-type stuff happen with these non-contiguous pieces of your diaspora.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
CatDoom
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by CatDoom »

So here's a first draft of what I'm thinking for the Taic languages. As in the maps previous people have posted, red indicates the rough area of the Taic urheimat ca. 10,000 BK, yellow represents expansion by 6,000 BK, and green represents expansion by 2,000 BK.

The basic concept here is that the language family initially expands along the major rivers in the immediate area, practicing relatively simple agriculture. By 6,000 BK the language family has broken up into two groups of daughters, the "High Taic" languages in the more mountainous east and the "Low Taic" languages in the flatter west. In both regions population pressures lead to social change, but the direction of that change depends on the terrain.

On the fertile floodplains of the west, the Low Taic speaking peoples begin to aggregate into larger, fortified settlements, the most successful of which eventually grow into true cities. They expand their territory somewhat over the centuries, but increasing conflict with agriculturalized neighbors means that their expansion is mostly demographic rather than geographical.

In the east, a more radical change takes place, as a series of innovation in agriculture (including new and hardier crop strains, the development of terrace agriculture, and the transition to a more mixed agricultural model relying more heavily on animal husbandry) allows the High Leic speakers to expand into the more marginal, mountainous regions surrounding the river valley. Their settlements are smaller than those in the west, at least initially, but their unique cultural adaptations to the highlands allow them to spread over a large territory relatively rapidly.

Let me know what you think! it's all a little rough right now, so constructive criticism is appreciated. Incidentally, I suspect that Loglorn's people won't have too much difficulty dominating the Taic-speaking coastlands when they arrive, as even the Low Taic peoples are likely relatively backwards in terms of nautical technology.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Felbah wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:I'd like to contribute something.
more questions:
how many suns does Teles have? does Teles have any moons?
One sun, one moon, just like Earth, which makes tides rather regular, like Earthly tides.
As said, anyone can join. I will post a world map very soon. Actually, two: One for staking familial claims, and the other for topography and height mapping.
Edit: As promised, 2 maps:
Height map:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2014 ... _Map_2.png
Linguistic map as of 10000BK:
http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/Felba ... 4.png.html
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 07bee4.png
I would prefer that you are to go into a proto-lang first if you want to make a new family, and then add it onto the 10000BK time map, but if you want to add to the Amutetikam language family, please do.
What does BK stand for?

Edit: I found:
Teles Wiki wrote:The date system, BK and AK, is based off of the birth of the first King of Gjulich, Gjul I, who introduced the official religion, based on his own life, into the newly formed nation.