The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by Khemehekis »

(OOC: I had thought that Nico had introduced Jim to Netza along with the others. Now looking back at it, I see that the name was Enca, and I misremembered that as Netza. Sorry about that.)
elemtilas wrote: Nico scratches his head, thinking where he's heard this before. "Oh! Iyesushuê he was when he came among Men, that's what the monks say. I don't know when he was born. Our Ma's mother used to tell how her Da's older brother went off wandering into the West and saw him there, when he went down to look at the Sea. Anyway, you name your years with numbers? That's different! Ours are named with names. Now is the year of the Mended Peacock and last year was Brass Waterpot and before that, Mended Scapula. Easy as a meat pie!"
"So your people know about Jesus too?", asked Jim. "His followers say he could do things like walk on the surface of water! How fantastic is that! I'm not a Christian though, I'm a deist. On my planet we have these people called Christians who have accepted Jesus, or Iyeshuyue, as their savior. And yeah, we name our years after numbers. We give our months names though: instead of Month 1, Month 2, Month 3, it's January, February, March. But after December, the twelfth month, it's back to January again. So we can learn. How do all of you keep up with the year names if every year has a new name? How d'you do it?"
"So, bands are groups of musicians, and you are their rimesmith? That is a great gift indeed, to make songs and sing them for people! Our rime makers do not sing with other musicians, and not often with more than one other singer. Is it usual for you to sing with other musicians and singers, then?" Nico's trying to keep up with the strangeness of this fellow's speech: "But, what are Stantsuoncuoios and Sax and curro and edfuuns?"
"Thanks", asked Jim. "Rimesmith? That word sounds so . . . medieval. In fact, at this point I expect to see bards walking through this tavern offering people some mead! But yeah, I wrote lyrics and make them rhyme. I also craft the melodies. Lots of musicians play with each other. Usually there'll be one musician who sings, and one who plays the guitar, and one who plays the drums, and one who plays the bass. We each have our own instrument. My band is called Purple Kohlrabi -- like the color, and the vegetable -- and we play together. We'll put our songs on a substance called vinyl -- like what these pants are made of." Jim pulled on his black vinyl pants. "Or we'll record them digitally, which means you can hear listen to the songs on an iPod, like this." With that, Jim reached into the pocket of his vinyl pants and pulled out headphones and an iPod.

"Stantswonkoskos . . .? You mean Stan Dzwonkowski? Stan is his first name. It's short for Stanislaw. It's a Polish boy's name, which means it comes from a country called Poland. Dzwonkowski is his last name. It's a Polish surname. His ancestors must've come to America from Poland. My name at birth was James Samuel Wordsworth; Wordsworth is an English surname. But I legally changed my name to Jim Musiclover after I became a star. So anyway, Stan Dzwonkowski is the lead singer of a band called Sulfur Pie. They do really edgy, angry music."

Jim put his hand up to his chin. What was next? Sax! "Sax? That's a musical instrument. Oh, I think you mean Zach. Zach Stillwell. Zach is a boy's name, Stillwell is a surname -- it's English again -- and he's the lead singer of a band called Thirst. Like when you get thirsty."

"Kuro is a genre of music. Comes from the Japanese word for 'black'. Zach Stillwell's band Thirst is an example of kuro music. It's dark and foreboding. Imagine seeing black music. We have a lot of genres of music where I'm from. There's pop, which is all bright and bubbly and pink. There's hip-hop, which sounds more like you're saying words -- or shouting them -- than actually singing them. There's reggae, which sounds funky and is performed mostly by people with dreadlocks. There's grank, which sounds edgy, like things crashing into each other. There's R & B, which sounds sweet and soulful and is sung mostly by people whose ancestors came from Africa. There's punk, which is fast and loud and angry and anarchistic. What genres of music do you people have?"

Then Jim pulled on his headphones. "Edfuuns? You mean headphones? Oh, like these. You put them over your ears and plug them into an iPod like this. Then you play the music. When you're wearing headphones, you can hear the music and other people can't!" Jim put the headphones over his ears, and said, "This is the song 'Around the Rainbow' by the band Bleach". He turned to that track, then closed his eyes and listened:

I've been around the rainbow
Around the rainbow I've been
I've watched my head inside of me with my own eyes, seen it spin
Felt the eating of my face, as I broke out of a box
I didn’t realize was there, with mushrooms growing on their stalks

Some sound effects went off that sounded like mushrooms popping into empty space.

Jim opened his eyes and took the headphones off. This eager young lad gave a big grin and said, "Now you try!"
"Blue..." Nico scratches his head again, hope that this boy would be sensible too now dashed! "You sound like my sister now! Oh, arcades? No, not like in a garden; but you know, the fine arches and tendrils, the forest of trunks and intertwined branches in the grey part of your eye surrounding the throbbing red part in the middle(*)."
Jim's face centered in bewilderment. Branches? Trunks?

"I know", said Jim. "Boys and girls talk about colors differently. I say my eyes are blue, but my ex-girlfriend would say they were steel blue."
"You have duckters too! Just like Risatri here. And your duckters only work with eyes? Our healers must be able to treat any wound, not just those in the eyes or the shoulders or the fingertips!" He laughs with the thought of twenty different healers attending to someone who's just been roughed up playing football! "Anyway, the crystalsmith that crafted your eye was quite skillful! And you sound like my sister again --- I'm sure my vision isn't thát strange! Any boy can describe perfectly sensibly what a person's eye looks like!"
Jim smiled at the word "duckter". "Yeah, we have family doctors, but mostly people specialize in different body parts and diseases. We have optometrists eor your eyes, and ocularists who make glass eyes, and ENT's -- ear-nose-throat doctors, and brain surgeons. We also have psychiatrists, who will give you medicine to treat diseases of the mind. If you have bipolar disorder, or ADD, or are just afraid of having to interact with people, they'll give you pills. Now they even have this thing called inner-body travel, where doctors -- I'm talking human doctors -- can shrink themselves to microscopic size" -- Jim held his index and thumb really close together -- "And go inside a person's body!" Then Jim thought of Nico's line "Any boy can describe perfectly sensibly what a person's eye looks like!" He wondered at the differences between boys and girls on Nico's planet. But he was about to learn more on that.
"Dwimmery? That's just one of the forces flowing and swirling all round us. Can't see it, really, but you can see its effects, how it interacts with living and resting beings; most Daine can find its streams and use them to make things anew or change things already made. Like, it's easy enough to pick up a stick of wood and cause it to burn with fire --- just have to nudge the flow of dwimmery a bit. Great factitioners can take a stick of wood and trap a flow of dwimmery inside it, so that with a touch it will glow like a lamp! Or cause a ball of silver wire to weave itself into a big flower. Or gifted healers can mend a shattered leg or sliced off arm."
"Mend a shattered leg or sliced-off arm?", asked Jim in amazement. "Not even our doctors can do that! It sounds like what we'd call magick! Or alchemy! Do you people have alchemy? We used to have alchemy in our world, but it evolved into chemistry. When I was in lyceum, we took a course in science that taught us about the different elements -- helium, oxygen, hydrogen, lead, gold, silver, mercury, neon . . . our scientists know more than 120 of these elements now!"
Nico smiles at the thought: "No, we can't fly, leastways not without an airship! Boys can leap from great heights and use our wings to slow our fall, and perhaps glide a bit. See ---" He stands up to show Jim his wing in comparison to Enca's: "Mine are longer and have longer feathers than a girl's wings. Girls always say we look like penguins flying when we go leaping. But I don't care if I look like a penguin in flight! It's so much fun to just drop off a tall tree or a cliff by the riverside and for a moment feel like I'm flying!" He pauses a moment, lost in thought: "I guess that's why I like flying in Enca's airships so much!"
"Oh", said Jim, disappointment visible on his face. He was disappointed that Nico couldn't truly dly. "Can the girls fly?", he asked. "Not like penguins, but with the grace of, say, swans on the wing? Airships? You mean like zeppelins? In America, we named a band after a zeppelin. Led Zeppelin. Although now we have jumbo jets and rockets that can take people to Mars. Mars is a planet -- it's all red -- that's next to my planet, Earth. They have water on Mars too."

Jim paused. "Boys and girls on your planet are really different? What's this stuff with the eyes and boys and girls being able to see differently? Humans have some differences like that too -- I mean, human mothers can feed their babies milk, but human fathers can't."

Jim wondered what Nico and the others would think of the Bleach song.
Last edited by Khemehekis on 14 Oct 2016 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Firebird766 wrote: Netza blinks. He never told this lad his name, and the birdfolk just referred to the two of them as 'the healers,' which was a very nice thing to say even if it isn't true in his particular case, him being only an apprentice. How did he know his name? "Have you been eavesdropping on us? Not a very nice- a perfectly normal thing, to be curious about someone. Of course." He quickly changes verbal course as Risatri glares at him. Apparently she doesn't want to alienate a potential patient. "Your country sounds like a mad- perfectly normal country with nothing in it at all that is strange even if banning alcohol is something only the cactus-mad would do."
Jim started to become leery of Netza. His right eye -- the one that wasn't a glass eye -- narrowed somewhat. "So is America crazy or not? It's done some pretty crazy things -- marijuana was illegal for more than 70 years! That's why we think of President Brandon Zuniga as a hero! Ever since I was 16, I've been a registered member of the Revolution Party!"
"I'm sorry, but it's really hard to make weird foreign stuff sound positive. I mean, ban alcohol? That sounds like something Muisa would do. You might as well ban cocoa, or slavery."
"Ban slavery?", asked Jim. "Better right, we'd ban slavery! They used to bring people on slave ships over from Africa. They'd give them English names and their masters would flog them until they answered to the English name instead of the African one. They'll flog them if they ran away! In the year 1865, my country banned African-American slavery. But married women were still the legal property of their husbands, and teens -- what we call people my age -- were still the legal property of their parents. In the twenties -- the nineteen twenties, that is -- women were granted the vote and their husbands couldn't stop them from doing what they wanted anymore. Then in the eleventies -- the decade from twenty ten to twenty nineteen -- the Revolution Party took over, and they recognized the control parents had over their children as slavery, and now 16-year-olds can do what they want. Even kids under 16 have some basic rights, though -- their parents can't make them practice a certain religion, can't restrict their freedom of speech, can't tell them not to play with kids of a different race . . . and if a parent tries to ground their kid for something the kid didn't do, the parent gets arrested. These are truly grilling times we're living in!"

Jim's interest was piqued by the named Muisa, though. "Tell me about Muisa. Is that a country?"
♂♥♂♀

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

((It's fine. Sorry, I should have prodded you OOC instead instead of making a big deal of it.))

Netza appears insulted at Nico's declaration. Slave indeed! "Hey! I'm no bound crook or lazy debtor!"

"Temper!" barks Risatri. "Doctors cannot rise to anger. Come here and hold the lamp so I can get a better look at this."

Netza sighs, but walks around the chair to hold the lamp steady. "Look, craft training is expensive. Real expensive. Indenture's a perfectly respectable way to afford it. What wouldn't be respectable would be running out in the middle, taking trade secrets with me. Wouldn't be very smart either, since then I'd never be able to become a doctor myself, and the cancellation fees are ruinous. Besides, an apprentice contract comes with protection. She's not allowed to hit me with anything bigger than that strap, all work I do has to be related to my training, and I come out in the same or better condition as I went in."
"Ban slavery?", asked Jim. "Better right, we'd ban slavery!
-is about as far as Jim gets before Netza completely writes off his country, this America place, as a place of crazies. Ban slavery? Who would pick crops, weed fields, mine ores, replace setts in the streets, or do any of the million little unpleasant things that let civilization exist? What would happen to the multitude of criminals and beggars? It would be cruel to just execute everyone whose crimes merited more punishment than humiliation and who couldn't pay fines, and just foolhardy to institute continuous imprisonment like Muisa did.

"Muisa is a country, yeah I guess you could call them that. Can't even call them dogs because that would be an insult to dogs. They came in a few centuries back. Took our land, our language. We beat them back though. Still would be if it weren't for the rotting ceasefire."

Risatri is far more interested in her work than the conversation happening around her. "Mild inflammation, and hm... I would like to flush this, but I'm poorly equipped for it at the moment," she explains to Enca. When Risatri had decided to go looking for patients, she had packed for things like arthritis, goiters, hair loss, and other maladies that could be remedied through increasingly expensive medicines. Not actual injuries. Most people would go to the nearest temple if they had an open wound to treat. "I could put a salve on and wrap it, which will help until you find someone with a hand pump and enough saline to really get it proper clean."
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote:
elemtilas wrote: Nico scratches his head, thinking where he's heard this before. "Oh! Iyesushuê he was when he came among Men, that's what the monks say. I don't know when he was born. Our Ma's mother used to tell how her Da's older brother went off wandering into the West and saw him there, when he went down to look at the Sea. Anyway, you name your years with numbers? That's different! Ours are named with names. Now is the year of the Mended Peacock and last year was Brass Waterpot and before that, Mended Scapula. Easy as a meat pie!"
"So your people know about Jesus too?", asked Jim. "His followers say he could do things like walk on the surface of water! How fantastic is that! I'm not a Christian though, I'm a deist. On my planet we have these people called Christians who have accepted Jesus, or Iyeshuyue, as their savior.
Nico thinks about this for a bit --- this is rather a little out of his league! His left finger wanders up to his canine and he scratches his head vaguely with the other. "Yes...our monks have made great study of his logia and his deeds, and we know who he is. I was a little hazy on the matter of his quest, but I gather it had something to do with the failing of Men, or something like that. I'm not sure I'd call walking on water phantastic, though. I mean, why wòuldn't he be able to, right? What's a Deist? Yes, I have heard that some Men are Kristian, devotees of Iyesushuê. But it's beyond our ken to understand what Men are being saved from. The Elder Kin might know, but it seems to be a sadness they speak little of, and even our monks don't seem to know much about it. I guess it's a mystery of some kind!"
"And yeah, we name our years after numbers. We give our months names though: instead of Month 1, Month 2, Month 3, it's January, February, March. But after December, the twelfth month, it's back to January again. So we can learn. How do all of you keep up with the year names if every year has a new name? How d'you do it?"
"Oh, that's easy! We just remember the names -- but really only those for the times we're most familiar with! Lore keepers and sawyers also keep the Tale of Years, and if you want to find out when something happened, you can tell them the event and they can recite the name of the year, and its century as well as the names of the greater ages the event happened in. Like, we're now about halfway though the year of the Mended Peacock, in the century of Cured Bacon -- hih!, they do have funny names, don't they! But the sawyers tell of longer times as well: twenty-one centuries is a Long-Month, as the Halfnights -- you know, halfway between the Longest Night and the Shortest Night of the year -- flow from one house of stars to another. Twelve of these, two hundred and fifty-two centuries, is a Long-Year. Forty Long-Years is an Age of Stars. I don't know the names for these Long-Months and -Years, but I know that the Star Ages are named for the great angels that watch over the circles of All That Is. The one we're in now is Calior, the ninth age, and we've been in that age for some forty centuries."

"But everyone knows the names of the seasons and the moons, as we reckon them in our own tongue, and most Daine know the names of the moons and fortnights as Men reckon them as well. We name three seasons in the year, Greeningtide is the first growth of the world, the time for planting and birthing and of the first blossoms in the warming breeze. Then comes Songtide, the time when the singers may be heard in the trees, the katydids and cicadas and frogs and birds. And even wolves and Daine! But we're now getting a chill in the air again, and we'll soon see the demise of Songtide! The Sunqueen is now riding ever south, and we've gone past the Halfnight, and soon will come the killing frost of Deepingtide and the Winter Queen will rule for a time. I think Men call this moon Yellowmath and its fortnights are Longharvest and Hallowstide; but I don't know what the days are."

"So, bands are groups of musicians, and you are their rimesmith? That is a great gift indeed, to make songs and sing them for people! Our rime makers do not sing with other musicians, and not often with more than one other singer. Is it usual for you to sing with other musicians and singers, then?" Nico's trying to keep up with the strangeness of this fellow's speech: "But, what are Stantsuoncuoios and Sax and curro and edfuuns?"
"Thanks", asked Jim. "Rimesmith? That word sounds so . . . medieval. In fact, at this point I expect to see bards walking through this tavern offering people some mead! But yeah, I wrote lyrics and make them rhyme. I also craft the melodies.
"Oh! You're doubly gifted! Girls must fall all over you! There's hardly a one who won't go down to the place of lore-hearing to listen to a well known bard weave his cunning dwimcraft over them! Ss! Even my Enca has her favorites! I can't make a rime at all, and when we were little, Enca always said whenever I touched a hrehruthio, I made it sound like a strangling cat!"
Lots of musicians play with each other. Usually there'll be one musician who sings, and one who plays the guitar, and one who plays the drums, and one who plays the bass. We each have our own instrument. My band is called Purple Kohlrabi -- like the color, and the vegetable -- and we play together. We'll put our songs on a substance called vinyl -- like what these pants are made of." Jim pulled on his black vinyl pants. "Or we'll record them digitally, which means you can hear listen to the songs on an iPod, like this." With that, Jim reached into the pocket of his vinyl pants and pulled out headphones and an iPod.
Nico touches his own britches and racca: "Hm. I don't think we can put music on our britches at all!"
"Stantswonkoskos . . .? You mean Stan Dzwonkowski? Stan is his first name. It's short for Stanislaw. It's a Polish boy's name, which means it comes from a country called Poland. Dzwonkowski is his last name.
[O.O] "I'm sorry to hear your friend has died! I wasn't aware Men had the same custom of giving a last name to a friend who has died. What's Polis? Is he a different race or kindred from you Meriquun?"
It's a Polish surname. His ancestors must've come to America from Poland. My name at birth was James Samuel Wordsworth; Wordsworth is an English surname. But I legally changed my name to Jim Musiclover after I became a star. So anyway, Stan Dzwonkowski is the lead singer of a band called Sulfur Pie. They do really edgy, angry music."
It is a good name to give yourself, when you're a bard (I think that was your word, right?) What does the name 'Gem' signify? Because we're twins, folks call us Nico and Enca. They were the first two Daine to cross over the river into the Lands of Sunrise, and were the first to meet there the Elder Kindred."
Jim put his hand up to his chin. What was next? Sax! "Sax? That's a musical instrument. Oh, I think you mean Zach. Zach Stillwell. Zach is a boy's name, Stillwell is a surname -- it's English again -- and he's the lead singer of a band called Thirst. Like when you get thirsty."
"What is Yinglis? Is that yet another kindred like Polis and Meriquun?"
"Kuro is a genre of music. Comes from the Japanese word for 'black'. Zach Stillwell's band Thirst is an example of kuro music. It's dark and foreboding. Imagine seeing black music. We have a lot of genres of music where I'm from. There's pop, which is all bright and bubbly and pink. There's hip-hop, which sounds more like you're saying words -- or shouting them -- than actually singing them. There's reggae, which sounds funky and is performed mostly by people with dreadlocks. There's grank, which sounds edgy, like things crashing into each other. There's R & B, which sounds sweet and soulful and is sung mostly by people whose ancestors came from Africa. There's punk, which is fast and loud and angry and anarchistic. What genres of music do you people have?"
"I can see black music! But ... pink? Dunno what that is, nor Afareiyqa. Is punk the same as pink?"

"We sing many kinds of songs and there are many kinds of musics, too. Singing, that is mostly a kind of story telling. There are songs that tell ancient stories of love and loss. And death. Histories of faded & overrun queendoms and failures of queens to do what they should have done. We also sing about the seasons of the year, and the birth of children and the growth of apples and the flights of birds. And of the beauty of girls. And we sing often when we're working, or just resting, or courting or cooking even. And certainly when we're hunting or making war. Enca here is singing herself into another world, maybe so she won't feel the pain of the healer's prodding! We make music for dancing and also for lamenting and contemplation. Our instrument of choice is the flute."

"While mostly only one musician plays a tune, or many will play the same tune together, there are musics where several will play different musics together. For this, we have flutes and lutes and tuned bones & stones and other instruments. Men have learned from us over the years and their musics too follow after our lead: they have a ... a norqistruun, which is also a whole mob of musicians playing different musics together!"
Then Jim pulled on his headphones. "Edfuuns? You mean headphones? Oh, like these. You put them over your ears and plug them into an iPod like this. Then you play the music. When you're wearing headphones, you can hear the music and other people can't!" Jim put the headphones over his ears, and said, "This is the song 'Around the Rainbow' by the band Bleach". He turned to that track, then closed his eyes and listened:

Some sound effects went off that sounded like mushrooms popping into empty space.

Jim opened his eyes and took the headphones off. This eager young lad gave a big grin and said, "Now you try!"
Nico hesitates a little --- these edfuun don't seem like they're made for Daine ears! But he figures out how to get them over his head without catching his ear-tips. --- The music starts again, and he sits in stunned silence for some time, eyes unfocus, breathing becomes shallow. Then, he begins to smile, shakes himself awake as the music ends, turns to Jim and gives him a big fangy grin: "You know, Gem, I could see that music and feel myself in it!"
"I know", said Jim. "Boys and girls talk about colors differently. I say my eyes are blue, but my ex-girlfriend would say they were steel blue."
"Heh, that they do!"
"You have duckters too! Just like Risatri here. And your duckters only work with eyes? Our healers must be able to treat any wound, not just those in the eyes or the shoulders or the fingertips!" He laughs with the thought of twenty different healers attending to someone who's just been roughed up playing football! "Anyway, the crystalsmith that crafted your eye was quite skillful! And you sound like my sister again --- I'm sure my vision isn't thát strange! Any boy can describe perfectly sensibly what a person's eye looks like!"
Jim smiled at the word "duckter". "Yeah, we have family doctors, but mostly people specialize in different body parts and diseases. We have optometrists eor your eyes, and ocularists who make glass eyes, and ENT's -- ear-nose-throat doctors, and brain surgeons. We also have psychiatrists, who will give you medicine to treat diseases of the mind. If you have bipolar disorder, or ADD, or are just afraid of having to interact with people, they'll give you pills. Now they even have this thing called inner-body travel, where doctors -- I'm talking human doctors -- can shrink themselves to microscopic size" -- Jim held his index and thumb really close together -- "And go inside a person's body!" Then Jim thought of Nico's line "Any boy can describe perfectly sensibly what a person's eye looks like!" He wondered at the differences between boys and girls on Nico's planet. But he was about to learn more on that.
"Wow, now that's pretty deep dwimmery and all! I don't think our healers do that, but they have to get some part of themselves into a body in order see what's wrong inside. Maybe they can make some part of themselves tiny? Or maybe they can send some part of their mind or spirit into the injured person's body? I don't know. Maybe Risatri can say better. She's a healer!"
"Dwimmery? That's just one of the forces flowing and swirling all round us. Can't see it, really, but you can see its effects, how it interacts with living and resting beings; most Daine can find its streams and use them to make things anew or change things already made. Like, it's easy enough to pick up a stick of wood and cause it to burn with fire --- just have to nudge the flow of dwimmery a bit. Great factitioners can take a stick of wood and trap a flow of dwimmery inside it, so that with a touch it will glow like a lamp! Or cause a ball of silver wire to weave itself into a big flower. Or gifted healers can mend a shattered leg or sliced off arm."
"Mend a shattered leg or sliced-off arm?", asked Jim in amazement. "Not even our doctors can do that!
"Sure, that's pretty basic, I think. Well --- most parts of the body can be so treated! A severed head will kill a Daine as quickly as it will kill a Man! Severed eyes and severed nuts --- those can't be put back." Nico shudders at the thought of losing either: "But like I said, there are, you know, recompensations. A girl who loses her eyes will, in time, often see far more without than with! A boy whose nuts are crushed or severed, well, there are some dwimcrafty healers, mostly out west in Darenalliê they say, who can heal such wounds. They say that the boy has to hunt and kill whatever beast the healer sees in a vision. Then, she can take the beast's own part and fuse it on to the boy. In so doing, though, the boy becomes fused to the beast too! Some have learnt to tame their beast and take his shape at will, even to run with others of that kind and live among them."

"But this has to be done quick! Lest the Change overtake the injured boy. Such a one will, after some while, become a girl! A beautiful girl she will become on the outside, but boy remain in her heart and mind! Many sad songs are sung and tales told of such fellows. They're called girls that walk both ways, and we'll often call them by different words. Like, I'm a boy, so people will say 'dene' and when they speak of Enca, a girl, they will say 'derí' and when they talk about us together, boy and girl twins together, they say 'salem'; but other siblings, and twins that are boys or girls, they will call them 'ena'(*). But a walker, they might call her 'danvo'; some they might call 'dení' or 'dere' --- can you hear that? Like a mixing of words for male and female! Some refuse to acknowledge the Change and people might continue to call them 'dene'. Sometimes a walker will choose a word she wants to be called by, and may even take for herself a new name, and there will be a feast to commemorate his transformation. Others will not care, and some may be called either 'derí' or 'dene' depending on their mood or behaviour.(**)"

"Our folk have a long history of such boys, and even now, there are many more girls in our queendom than boys, and it is because there are many walkers in our land. We know the Change can wreak terrible havoc in a boy's heart. Many have sought death rather than live a Changed life; some simply lose their former energy and personality. Kin really do try to help get a boy through the Change, though. It's no easy time on anyone!"
"It sounds like what we'd call magick! Or alchemy! Do you people have alchemy? We used to have alchemy in our world, but it evolved into chemistry. When I was in lyceum, we took a course in science that taught us about the different elements -- helium, oxygen, hydrogen, lead, gold, silver, mercury, neon . . . our scientists know more than 120 of these elements now!"
"Ah, 'matsiq'. Yes, that's what Men call dwimmery. Sorry, but they're really no good at it! They try, though: they have wizards that study dwimmery, and they have, like, weird rituals they do in order to wright it to shape. From the stories I've heard, I think they're too dangerous. Men should not meddle in the affairs of the dwimcrafty! I will credit them, though, for making great strides in 'thaumology', the application of dwimmery to ordinary devices. Men often make for great thaumic tinkers and factitioners. I've seen some of their wares: once we went up the Great Fair at the Old City, and there were some thaumic tinkers from Auntimoany by the Sea. They had a kind of spectacles with frames you could rotate that would allow you darken the lenses at midday and even look into the face of the Sun, or you could turn them the other way and see passably in the dark. I can see well enough at night, they didn't do me much good! Another had this strange device that could make poetry: you'd wind up the handle on the side of the box, and these little wheels would whirr round inside, and on windows in the top of the box you could see words on turning discs. When the discs stop spinning, trained imps in a little house on top of the box would read the poem from the words on the discs. They said they didn't have a box prepared for our language, but the bit of poetry the imps recited, so the Man said, was accounted quite poetical in the tongues of Men and Teyor alike. I wasn't really convinced. They've learned how to destill the spirits of 'djuus' to make light and to use the 'quarmaya' to create moving devices. Of course, they got the idea of destilling 'djuus' from salamanders from us, and Men can't make 'quarmayanye' at all --- only Daine have learned that mystery! It's the 'quarmayanye' that drive our airships into the winds and the 'quarmayanye' that make the great 'brontoreedes' of the postway rumble along.(***)"

"Chemia, I know Men practice that art. Our monks too. It is a kind of yoga of mind and matter they say. As things are transformed by the chemia of matter; so the mind is transformed by the chemia of the spirit. I think it sounds like a kind of Mannish philosophy. I have heard of the metals you name, but not those other things. What are they? I know there are many elements in chemia, like air and heat and 'djuus' and water and coal and palesilver and quartz and adamantine, but I don't know how many elements there are. Enca and me have some books of chemia --- they have good recipes in there that have helped us make other things. She says there's even a recipe in one of em for soap! But it's not many Men that seem to know how to apply it to their bodies! Anyway, I looked at the book once, and I couldn't make wing or tail of it. I can't read the words, so they don't do me any good unless Enca reads me from it. But there's all kinds of squiggle pictures like little worms and nadders and trees and so forth. She says those are chemic words, and if you put the chemic words together in the right order, your get a chemic logion; and then, if you substitute the right substances for the words in the book, you end up making something useful! I'm sure glad she knows how to read all than gibberish!"
Nico smiles at the thought: "No, we can't fly, leastways not without an airship! Boys can leap from great heights and use our wings to slow our fall, and perhaps glide a bit. See ---" He stands up to show Jim his wing in comparison to Enca's: "Mine are longer and have longer feathers than a girl's wings. Girls always say we look like penguins flying when we go leaping. But I don't care if I look like a penguin in flight! It's so much fun to just drop off a tall tree or a cliff by the riverside and for a moment feel like I'm flying!" He pauses a moment, lost in thought: "I guess that's why I like flying in Enca's airships so much!"
"Oh", said Jim, disappointment visible on his face. He was disappointed that Nico couldn't truly fly. "Can the girls fly?", he asked. "Not like penguins, but with the grace of, say, swans on the wing? Airships? You mean like zeppelins? In America, we named a band after a zeppelin. Led Zeppelin. Although now we have jumbo jets and rockets that can take people to Mars. Mars is a planet -- it's all red -- that's next to my planet, Earth. They have water on Mars too."
Nico gives Jim a small smile: "Yeah, I'm sorry I can't fly too! If I were a skin changer, I'd certainly hope to learn how to become a bird. Then I could fly..." Nico trails off for a moment, lost in some reverie.

"And no, girls can't fly, nor like swans nor like penguins! Their wings are too short, and they can't even leap-glide the way we do."

"But there is one thing either of us can do, though I think not many have tried. One time we were up flying, only Enca didn't know I'd attached a length of stout cord with a wood handle on it to our bird. I got out of my seat-well and took a leap off the side! I didn't fall because of the cord, but I was able to figure out how to move my wings and shift my body so that I could at least soar along under our bird! I couldn't help yipping for the pure joy of soaring in the air, and I'm sure Enca heard me: when I pulled myself back up onto the bird, I thought for sure she hadn't even noticed, but boy she lit right into me as soon as we landed again! And she didn't let up for the better part of a fortnight and a half!" He sighs deeply: "Haven't been able to try that trick again!"(****)
Jim paused. "Boys and girls on your planet are really different? What's this stuff with the eyes and boys and girls being able to see differently? Humans have some differences like that too -- I mean, human mothers can feed their babies milk, but human fathers can't."
"Well us boys can't feed their little ones milk either! But yeah, there are a lot of differences. Like, girls think differently than we do. They're better and talking about things and discussing and and you know, agreeing on things. That's why only girls can be queens. But we're better at understanding how things work. So, Enca can dream up an airship, and sort out all the sums and chemia and architecture then describe it me and I can actually make sense of what she's saying and build it for her. Like, she could see the wings, but she had no idea how to make them move, or what shape they should be. I knew right away, well, they have to be shaped like a bird's, they have to be painted like a bird's and they have to move kind of like a bird's. She's better at flying the airship --- I'm better at leaping off the side and soaring below! We like different kinds of stories. When it comes to story books, 'mancalio', they like more detailed description, especially of emotion and setting and dialogue. We like histories and action more."

"And our eyes are also quite different!" Nico opens up the flap at the back of the leather notebook, takes out some round-shafted colored charcoal crayons & sorts through them. Puts one particular one, a hexagonal-shafted one, aside, then picks through the others. Jim notices that each of the crayons has a number of hash-marks near the end. Nico has sorted them into two basic piles, seemingly haphazardly. He opens the notebook to the picture of the airship, then looks at Jim.

"See, you have to understand, that we, Enca and me, see two very different worlds. When she wakes up from Risatri's prodding, she can tell you about every colour and hue you can imagine and, and what she calls "depth" and --- I forget the word. It's like, I don't know: more colour in one thing than another thing of the same hue? I don't even pretend to understand! But me, I see a world of maybe three colors?" He pushes all the greens, blues, greys in their pile towards Jim's left side; all the reds, browns, yellows, oranges, violets towards his right. One crayon in each pile has, apart from the hash-marks, an X carved into its wood. "To me, this whole pile makes the same colour as this crayon, while over here, this pile makes the same colour as this crayon." Jim notices that all the greens and blues equal the X-marked glas-coloured crayon, while the oranges and yellows and violets all equal a kind of washed-out red-coloured crayon. "I can see greys as lighter shading of black, and I can also see the black-red of a fire through the bakehouse wall; I can even see the third moon of Gea, the one every girl says doesn't exist, even when it's pointed out to them! This is the same black-red I see in the middle of your right eye, but not in the left! If I knew how fast your heart was beating, I'm sure the throbbing of the black-red would match in time and rhythm!"(*****)

((The long and the short of it: Nico sees the tritanopic image here while his sister sees a world of subtler distinctions than even Men would see. The best description I've come across is tetrachromaticity, but even this might not be quite accurate.))
Jim wondered what Nico and the others would think of the Bleach song.
((What's the Bleach song??))

(*) --- dene is third person singular masculine; derí is third person singular feminine; salem is third person plural inclusive (usually used to distinguish a focussed group as distinct from a larger population, but with M-F twins, is used dually and of combined gender); ena is third person plural of siblings.

(**) --- danvo is third person singular M-F (this is actually a native and ancient word used to refer to male-to-female intersex individuals; dení & dere are particular to the Queranaran spoken in Westmarche: obviously, dení is the masculine pronominal root with the feminine termination while dere is the feminine pronominal root with the masculine termination (the choice of one over the other can depend on "how much of a girl the walker feels like" or "how female the walker identifies self as" or "how much of a boy she still considers herself to be".

(***) --- Dwimmery is actually a natural force, and is that which underlies magic. The two notions are often interchanged, even among Daine. Magic is really just the application and manipulation of dwimmery; although the word dwimmery is often used by Men to mean the result of the manipulation of magical forces. Thaumology is kind of like technology, except that instead of electric batteries, some kind of thaumic source of energy or motivation is at play. This often means ensorcelled imps or trapped and directed flows of dwimmery itself (as the light-wand Nico described). A factiitoner is someone who either makes things from raw substance with dwimmery as his tools or it can mean someone who uses already ensorcelled components to create some thaumological device. Among Men, it's most often the latter; among Daine, it could be either.

"Spectacles with frames you could rotate that would allow you darken the lenses at midday and even look into the face of the Sun..." This is clearly a very simplified version of the polyfocals, which are a kind of thaumological spectacles that allow one to adjust the lenses and see all kinds of wonders (pink olifants, three hundred pound gorillas and so forth), q.v.

"Another had this strange device that could make poetry...", ah, the Mekhanike Poetastro! The Poetastro is capable of producing poetically pleasing works that make no sense; which is, largely, an improvement over Agricola’s ametrical diddling, exemplified by the following inane specimen:
      • fusca flucta nocs esat || cunneu coctu nucs esat
      • dlingua dlimat necs esat || buelle bellua Nacs essat
Djuus is a Daine word that refers to the destilled Spirits of Elektra City. Get it to flow like water, and you can create a nifty device like the luciferescent orb; put its power in the hands of Men, and you get this horrific spectacle.

Quarmayanye are a kind of clay eidolon, roughly in the shape of a squat, broad shouldered Daine, a kind walem or homunculus. These are deep dwimmery incarnate, very ancient magic. Walems are, at the least, class IV artifacts (meaning that they are thaumological objects with limited awareness of their surrounds and capable of certain reactions to those surrounds), and perhaps even class V (meaning that they are intelligent and sentient, though perhaps not alive in the usual senses of the word). Some philosophers have ascribed them to class VII, thaumically created beings, beings that never existed in the world before (think Aule creating Dwarves...). Those crafted by Men (most especially by the Judeo-Hellades of several centuries ago, tended to be hulking, lumbering chappies that were really good at doing whatever single task they were set to without any kind of creative thought or consideration of the task itself. If you instructed one to "dig a hole" -- it would dig a hole, and it would keep digging until it reached the lower mantle where it would melt or shatter and destroy itself; if you told one to "walk", it would walk. And it would keep walking until the Sun explodes and cascades all the world with her superheated innards. If it ever fell over or got pushed over, it would keep moving as if it were walking. Quarmayanye crafted by Daine, are rather smaller, less "humanoid" in shape and have a very robust power-to-size ratio. It's these little jobbies that power Enca's airship; and larger versions power the brontoreeds of the railways of the world.

Brontoreedes are the locomotives that drag a caravan train behind them along the postway. A brontoreede is basically a large (and gaily painted!) waggon, often of a 2-4-2 or 0-6-0 wheel arrangement, that houses the fore and aft control compartments and the engine room where the walems are tethered to the big crankshafts that turn the drive wheels. Powerful locomotives will have two good sized walems per axle, shuttling back-and-forth in tandem. And it's come to be the case that the word walem itself is often identified with the whole brontoreede.

(****) --- Kind of like parasailing, only from an aeroplane and not from a speedboat!

(*****) --- Nico is, quite literally, seeing the warmth of the blood flowing through Jim's retinal arteries. They show up brighter because the only things in the way of the blood are very thin vessel walls, the thin membrane of the retina and the optically clear lens and cornea. In a very dark room, or on very dark, moonless night, a Daine boy could very faintly see the warmth of a person or animal; but their superior low-light vision will generally obliterate the relatively weak IR coming from a person or animal. Much clearer is the warmth of a fire through a wall. This is probably why boys are so fascinated by fire. For them, a fire is a dancing riot of color and brightness and depth of swirling vapour-shadows. They can spot fire fairies and other similar folk which most people fail to see entirely.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Enca hasn't heard a word of the recent talk. Her quiet singing has put her into a little world of her own, and the voices outside sound more like the droning hum of bees at their work than distinct words. She can feel Risatri's deft fingers probing the wound on her side. There is only a gentle pressure; no pain at all.

But soon the probing stops and Risatri is talking again. Enca stops her singing and opens her eyes again to the common room of the Inn, to Risatri and Netza sitting at her side, the latter with a curious little lamp in hand.

Firebird766 wrote:Risatri is far more interested in her work than the conversation happening around her. "Mild inflammation, and hm... I would like to flush this, but I'm poorly equipped for it at the moment," she explains to Enca. When Risatri had decided to go looking for patients, she had packed for things like arthritis, goiters, hair loss, and other maladies that could be remedied through increasingly expensive medicines. Not actual injuries. Most people would go to the nearest temple if they had an open wound to treat. "I could put a salve on and wrap it, which will help until you find someone with a hand pump and enough saline to really get it proper clean."
"Um, yes," she says as she gets her bearings. "Salt. Water. Pump. Right." She gathers herself, rises gracefully and pulls out a small kit from her own sack on the other table. Bringing it back, she opens it, revealing what are clearly emergency supplies. "Will this work?"

She pulls out a small brass and wood device, cylindrical in shape, with a length of what appears to be leather tubing coming out of the bottom and a wooden handle at the top and a small bit of bronze pipe parallel with the brass cylinder. "We use it to draw up water from a well or cistern or even a crevasse out in the wild if we need a drink. It's pretty nifty! It pumps air into the walls of the tubing, to keep it stiff, and draws water up just like through a straw, and then squirts it out again through the little bronze pipe on the side. I've never heard of anyone using such a device to clean anything, but perhaps it will do?"

"And if a salve will be helpful, then please do as you see needful! But what did you see with your lamp, and feel with your fingers?"
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote:
      • I've been around the rainbow
Nico scratches his head furiously and curls his lips as if in some deep thought. He suddenly snatches at the journal and crayons; he bends over them, his hair falling over the table, obscuring the view for a while...

At last he drops the crayon from his left hand and pushes his hair back with the right. He pushes the opened journal over towards Jim. "There! That's what I saw in your music!"
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Firebird766 wrote: "Muisa is a country, yeah I guess you could call them that. Can't even call them dogs because that would be an insult to dogs. They came in a few centuries back. Took our land, our language.
We beat them back though. Still would be if it weren't for the rotting ceasefire."
"A human country?", asked Jim. His eyes were widening. "So did they start using your language, or did they make you start using theirs? The cease-fire was 'rotting'? What does that mean? Did they ban alcohol or other recreational drugs? How do they treat their women?"

(OOC: Wow, Elemtilas, that's a lot of stuff about the World to digest. It'll take me another day or two to assimilate all that and come up with a response to it!)
♂♥♂♀

Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

Risatri examines the device. Well, that's handy. It's quite similar to the one she has in her home office, in fact. It's a different enough design, however, that she'd be very interested in studying it after she's done here. Assuming Enca will let her, of course. "This will do just fine. Now all I need is saltwater in the right concentration- less than one percent. Your wound is inflamed a bit, which is common enough and the salve will help with that. There's nothing big in there that I'd want to take out immediately, but I'm concerned about debris from where there was. A saltwater flush will get that out, and it and the salve both will help stop infection from setting in. Netza, go see if the bar has salt and water that's been boiled in the past day."

Unfortunately, Netza was starting to work himself up into a good rant. This is apparently a topic that he has a lot of passion for. "I guess you could call them human if you want to be generous. Nah, they made us speak theirs. So we lost the old languages because the kids weren't being taught them. According to the stories, they even had people going around door to door trying to catch folks speaking them in the home. Actually, 'human' is too good of a term for those festering pustules."

"Netza."

"That ceasefire is such a joke. They killed our priests, burned our cities, turned the survivors into less than the least of commoners, and even after we chased them from the mountains they keep trying to control us. "Oh no, you can't keep slaves!"" he says in a deliberately whiny, mocking voice. ""It's not fair using magic in war!" "It's inhumane to punish criminals instead of letting them go free to keep thieving and murdering!" And now we're supposed to play nice with them? Bah! And I'm not sure what you're asking about women for. I mean, Muisin women are just as arrogant as the-"

Risatri belts him with across the shoulders with the leather strap, cutting off his rant and turning it into a yelp. "Netza! Salt. Water. Go!" As he scurries off, she says, "He's hardly the only one who thinks that way, but a professional has to act more neutrally. He'll learn how to be subtle eventually. If you want the party line of things, you can ask me. But I do need to focus on my patient so if I take a while to answer a question that's why."
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote:Risatri examines the device. Well, that's handy. It's quite similar to the one she has in her home office, in fact. It's a different enough design, however, that she'd be very interested in studying it after she's done here. Assuming Enca will let her, of course. "This will do just fine."

Enca nods and indicates for Risatri to take the device. "I've never actually had to use it before, but I think you just churn that handle like a rommelpot and it'll do the rest!"

"Now all I need is saltwater in the right concentration- less than one percent. Your wound is inflamed a bit, which is common enough and the salve will help with that. There's nothing big in there that I'd want to take out immediately, but I'm concerned about debris from where there was. A saltwater flush will get that out, and it and the salve both will help stop infection from setting in. Netza, go see if the bar has salt and water that's been boiled in the past day."
"I'm glad you saw nothing big in there! So, it is salty water you use!? I've heard our healers speak of Tea of Sunrise Waters, which they say comes from the Sea." Her finger wanders up again to the space behind her fang: "I always thought that was strange. It makes no sense, right? Is not water the same everywhere? Of course, we've only heard of the Sea in the old tales, and perhaps the water in other lands is different from ours, but if spring water and river water are sweet, then surely it stands to reason that the seas they flow into must also be sweet and not salt!
Unfortunately, Netza was starting to work himself up into a good rant. This is apparently a topic that he has a lot of passion for. "I guess you could call them human if you want to be generous. Nah, they made us speak theirs. So we lost the old languages because the kids weren't being taught them. According to the stories, they even had people going around door to door trying to catch folks speaking them in the home. Actually, 'human' is too good of a term for those festering pustules."

"Netza."
Enca reaches out her hands, palms forward, left hand above right: "It some respects it is almost like this Man is telling our own history! For long whiles we too were under the yoke of invaders, Men, if you must know, Netza. They took our land from us and made us live under it; they made us speak their tongues, and it is only now our youngsters are learning again the Ancient Tongue."
"That ceasefire is such a joke. They killed our priests, burned our cities, turned the survivors into less than the least of commoners, and even after we chased them from the mountains they keep trying to control us. "Oh no, you can't keep slaves!"" he says in a deliberately whiny, mocking voice. ""It's not fair using magic in war!" "It's inhumane to punish criminals instead of letting them go free to keep thieving and murdering!" And now we're supposed to play nice with them? Bah! And I'm not sure what you're asking about women for. I mean, Muisin women are just as arrogant as the-"

Risatri belts him with across the shoulders with the leather strap, cutting off his rant and turning it into a yelp. "Netza! Salt. Water. Go!" As he scurries off, she says, "He's hardly the only one who thinks that way, but a professional has to act more neutrally. He'll learn how to be subtle eventually. If you want the party line of things, you can ask me. But I do need to focus on my patient so if I take a while to answer a question that's why."
Enca is startled by the whack of the strap: "Is he very young for the strap to be so employed? It is true that boys often require more force of will, and sometimes of hand or wing, to correct them when they go all wayward! --- And I know my Nico has had his share of thumps and tugs on his ears! --- But your Netza does not seem to me to be a Manchild, in the way that Gem is. But the aging appearance of Men has always been confusing to me! We see so few of the Unwinged in our part of the realm, and the ones I knew well as a child were themselves children, and seemed much the same as children of the Winged."

"If I may ask, is Netza still very young? By the time a young Daine comes of age, perhaps by his thirtieth or fortieth year, it is no longer considered proper for a mother or mothersister to give him a thump or tug his ears. Unless, perhaps, she is being very playful only! It is, of course, different for a sister, and especially the elder sister!" If it were possible for Enca to sit any straighter than a young sapling, she would! She does place her shoulders hack a bit and tilt her head up slightly. Her right hand raises, thumb touching the middle two fingers, index finger extended upwards: "It is ever our duty to watch over our younger brothers and keep them from wandering! As every girl with brothers knows, this is the most difficult task one has in life, until she has to fetch up little ones of her own!"
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

(I've been away for a week and this happened. Well, there we go again.)
Khemehekis wrote:Hi, I'm Jim Musiclover.
Oh, Argenzu stops reading whatever he read, starts typing, turns around his laptop and displays a picture of Jim on his laptop, we've got a databank of billions of humans in our networks. Not a single one with some written remains has been left out... until 2199, then, I'm afraid, everyone left Earth.
I'm Argenzu Montèis, student and citizen of the Ladroman Republic. By my sides are Berenice Czwortak and my dog and valuable companion, Edelwulf.
Argenzu takes out a bottle of Pepsi, opens it and drinks some of it. He skims over to Edelwulf, who has switched to a different book. Argenzu giggles.
Hehe, Henry Portman and the Serpentine Followers... I loved the movies of that series. And the books are just awesome.

Berenice shakes her head, Edelwulf continues reading, albeit with a smile.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote:(OOC: Wow, Elemtilas, that's a lot of stuff about the World to digest. It'll take me another day or two to assimilate all that and come up with a response to it!)
(No worries! All of these interactions have been absolutely brillant! Some of these ideas are quite old, some I'm just meeting new, others (like the Winged and the Unwinged) have been kind of percolating under the surface, but have not yet revealed themselves in the forefront of my consciousness. Thanks to everyone who has put up with me in here so far! Am now up to almost 200 pages of interactions between people from The World and folks they've met here at the Inn!)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote:
Khemehekis wrote: "So your people know about Jesus too?", asked Jim. "His followers say he could do things like walk on the surface of water! How fantastic is that! I'm not a Christian though, I'm a deist. On my planet we have these people called Christians who have accepted Jesus, or Iyeshuyue, as their savior.
Nico thinks about this for a bit --- this is rather a little out of his league! His left finger wanders up to his canine and he scratches his head vaguely with the other. "Yes...our monks have made great study of his logia and his deeds, and we know who he is. I was a little hazy on the matter of his quest, but I gather it had something to do with the failing of Men, or something like that. I'm not sure I'd call walking on water phantastic, though. I mean, why wòuldn't he be able to, right? What's a Deist? Yes, I have heard that some Men are Kristian, devotees of Iyesushuê. But it's beyond our ken to understand what Men are being saved from. The Elder Kin might know, but it seems to be a sadness they speak little of, and even our monks don't seem to know much about it. I guess it's a mystery of some kind!"
"Well, where I'm from", says Jim, "Most people can't walk on water. We have some lizards that can do it, though, and some insects. A deist is someone who believes in God, unlike an atheist, and is sure about it, unlike an agnostic, but he isn't a Christian, and he isn't a Jew, and he isn't a Muslim, and he isn't a Buddhist, and he isn't a Hindu, and he isn't a Sikh, and he isn't a Rastafarian, and he isn't a Wiccan, and he isn't a Baha'i, and he isn't a Zoroastrian. What are the Christians hoping Jesus will save them from? From going to Hell, I suppose. Hell is where people go when they die, if they've been bad. People used to believe you'd go to Hell for being gay among other things, but almost no one believes that anymore. Christians have all this talk about 'falling', but I wasn't raised Christian, so I don't know what in the galaxy they're talking about."
"And yeah, we name our years after numbers. We give our months names though: instead of Month 1, Month 2, Month 3, it's January, February, March. But after December, the twelfth month, it's back to January again. So we can learn. How do all of you keep up with the year names if every year has a new name? How d'you do it?"
"Oh, that's easy! We just remember the names -- but really only those for the times we're most familiar with! Lore keepers and sawyers also keep the Tale of Years, and if you want to find out when something happened, you can tell them the event and they can recite the name of the year, and its century as well as the names of the greater ages the event happened in. Like, we're now about halfway though the year of the Mended Peacock, in the century of Cured Bacon -- hih!, they do have funny names, don't they! But the sawyers tell of longer times as well: twenty-one centuries is a Long-Month, as the Halfnights -- you know, halfway between the Longest Night and the Shortest Night of the year -- flow from one house of stars to another. Twelve of these, two hundred and fifty-two centuries, is a Long-Year. Forty Long-Years is an Age of Stars. I don't know the names for these Long-Months and -Years, but I know that the Star Ages are named for the great angels that watch over the circles of All That Is. The one we're in now is Calior, the ninth age, and we've been in that age for some forty centuries."
"Sawyers?", asks Jim. "We read a book about a boy named Tom Sawyer in lyceum. Is that whom you're talking about."

Jim's right eye glazes over at the talk of long-months and long-years. "Your people have been around for millions of years, it sounds like. Humans on Earth haven't recorded their history that long. Only for about twelve millennia. A millennium is what we call ten centuries, or a thousand years. 28 years ago we started in on the third millennium A.D., that means the third millennium counting from the birth of Jesus. But your people . . . they use names like Mended Peacock . . . or like, like Purple Kohlrabi. Won't they eventually run out of adjective-noun combinations?"
"But everyone knows the names of the seasons and the moons, as we reckon them in our own tongue, and most Daine know the names of the moons and fortnights as Men reckon them as well. We name three seasons in the year, Greeningtide is the first growth of the world, the time for planting and birthing and of the first blossoms in the warming breeze. Then comes Songtide, the time when the singers may be heard in the trees, the katydids and cicadas and frogs and birds. And even wolves and Daine! But we're now getting a chill in the air again, and we'll soon see the demise of Songtide! The Sunqueen is now riding ever south, and we've gone past the Halfnight, and soon will come the killing frost of Deepingtide and the Winter Queen will rule for a time. I think Men call this moon Yellowmath and its fortnights are Longharvest and Hallowstide; but I don't know what the days are."
"Sunqueen?", asks Jim. "As in, your planet has an actual queen who controls the weather? Sounds like something out of a fairy tale. Am I dreaming?" Jim pinches himself, and is surprised to feel the pain.

"What are Daine?," Jim asks. "Are they a species like humans or orcs or Greys or elves? Or are they a nationality or ethnic group, like American and Polish and English and Mexican and Japanese?"

Jim laughs at the name Yellowmath. "Is that 'math' like in the word 'aftermath'? I suppose it doesn't have to do with adding and multiplying numbers. We can Yellowmath autumn, or fall, when it's no longer really hot and the leaves are turning orange and brown, but winter when all the leaves have fallen off the deciduous trees and the days are really short but getting longer. We have something called Christmas early in the winter. It's supposed to celebrate the birth of Jesus, even though Jesus wasn't actually born in the winter. Mostly though, it's a time for shopping and buying a lot, and probably half of the people who celebrate Christmas aren't even Christians. Not too fond of Christmas myself."
"Thanks", asked Jim. "Rimesmith? That word sounds so . . . medieval. In fact, at this point I expect to see bards walking through this tavern offering people some mead! But yeah, I wrote lyrics and make them rhyme. I also craft the melodies.
"Oh! You're doubly gifted! Girls must fall all over you! There's hardly a one who won't go down to the place of lore-hearing to listen to a well known bard weave his cunning dwimcraft over them! Ss! Even my Enca has her favorites! I can't make a rime at all, and when we were little, Enca always said whenever I touched a hrehruthio, I made it sound like a strangling cat!"
Jim blushes. "Thanks. Yes, I get lots of girl fans, and the occasional boy -- I'm bisexual. But your reruthio-playing can't be that bad. What's a reruthio, anyway? Is that like a guitar?"
Lots of musicians play with each other. Usually there'll be one musician who sings, and one who plays the guitar, and one who plays the drums, and one who plays the bass. We each have our own instrument. My band is called Purple Kohlrabi -- like the color, and the vegetable -- and we play together. We'll put our songs on a substance called vinyl -- like what these pants are made of." Jim pulled on his black vinyl pants. "Or we'll record them digitally, which means you can hear listen to the songs on an iPod, like this." With that, Jim reached into the pocket of his vinyl pants and pulled out headphones and an iPod.
Nico touches his own britches and racca: "Hm. I don't think we can put music on our britches at all!"
Jim laughs. "Oh, no", says Jim. "We don't actually put music on pants. We put them on electronic circles called CD's, or occasionally LP's, that are made out of the same substance as the pants I'm wearing here. Vinyl. But most music is in digital format now -- what we call music like my iPod's music."
"Stantswonkoskos . . .? You mean Stan Dzwonkowski? Stan is his first name. It's short for Stanislaw. It's a Polish boy's name, which means it comes from a country called Poland. Dzwonkowski is his last name.
[O.O] "I'm sorry to hear your friend has died! I wasn't aware Men had the same custom of giving a last name to a friend who has died. What's Polis? Is he a different race or kindred from you Meriquun?"
Jim's left eyebrow quirks. Then he figures out Nico's misunderstanding. "Last name? Oh, no, we don't change people's names after death. Not in America at least. They do that in a country called Australia though. Ever heard of the musician George Rrurrambu? He changed his name after death." Then it hits Jim: of course Nico hadn't heard of George Rrurrambu. "When we say 'last name' in my language, we mean surname. So Dzwonkowski is Stan's surname. And yeah, he's alive and young."

Jim continues. "Polish means he comes from a country called Poland. He's an American too, but he's of Polish descent. One thing you've got to understand about Americans, is there's no 'race' called American. We Americans have ancestors from all over the planet. There are English-Americans, and Scottish-Americans, and Polish-Americans, and German-Americans, and Mexican-Americans, and Jewish-Americans, and Irish-Americans, and Italian-Americans, and African-Americans, and Arab-Americans, and Jamaican-Americans, and Chinese-Americans, and Japanese-Americans, and Korean-Americans, and Hawaiians, and Laotian-Americans, and Filipino-Americans, and even Hmong and Mien and Lahu Americans. There are also some tribes that were here before the rest of the world discovered America, like the Navajo and the Cherokee, but most Americans don't belong to one of these tribes."
It's a Polish surname. His ancestors must've come to America from Poland. My name at birth was James Samuel Wordsworth; Wordsworth is an English surname. But I legally changed my name to Jim Musiclover after I became a star. So anyway, Stan Dzwonkowski is the lead singer of a band called Sulfur Pie. They do really edgy, angry music."
It is a good name to give yourself, when you're a bard (I think that was your word, right?) What does the name 'Gem' signify? Because we're twins, folks call us Nico and Enca. They were the first two Daine to cross over the river into the Lands of Sunrise, and were the first to meet there the Elder Kindred."
Jim grins. "Oh, no, I don't describe myself a bard. I'm a musician, and specifically a lead singer and guitarist. I was just saying that I expected bards to be passing through this tavern here. We had bards many centuries ago; they were in a world a lot like this. Except everyone was human. No one had wings. We called it the 'Middle Ages', or 'medieval' times. Then there was the Renaissance, when we had writers like William Shakespeare, who wrote a bunch of plays about kings losing their crowns and getting slain and committing suicide. There were bards then, too, I think. Now we just basically have musicians like me who do tours. A tour is when a musicians visits many different venues and plays their songs."

"Gem?", Jim asks. "You mean 'Jim'? Jim is short for James. James is the old French pronunciation of the Latin form of the Hebrew name Jacob. Jacob, or Yaakov, means 'taken by the heel'. My parents named me James, but I always went by Jim. When I became a star, I made Jim my legal first name the same time I changed my last name -- my surname -- from Wordsworth to Musiclover."
"What is Yinglis? Is that yet another kindred like Polis and Meriquun?"
"Yes! English means someone who comes from England. England is a part of a larger country called the U.K. They have a king named William and a queen named Kate. My ex-girlfriend's name is Kate, you know. They had bands like the Beatles and Coldplay living in England."
"I can see black music! But ... pink? Dunno what that is, nor Afareiyqa. Is punk the same as pink?"
"Africa is a continent", said Jim. "The people who live in Africa or have ancestors from Africa have dark skin and fuzzy hair and brown eyes and full lips and broad noses. We call them 'Black' people. I'm a 'White' person, by contrast, with light skin and freckles and blue eyes and think lips and a straight nose." Pink? Punk. "Oh no," Jim says. "Pink is a color. Like red, only lighter. It's considered a girly color. Punk's not the same as pink. If punk music had a color, it would be black, or maybe black or red. Maybe green -- back in the nineties there was a punk band called Green Day. I've had green days before -- they're awesome. A green day is when you spend the whole day high on marijuana!"
"We sing many kinds of songs and there are many kinds of musics, too. Singing, that is mostly a kind of story telling. There are songs that tell ancient stories of love and loss. And death. Histories of faded & overrun queendoms and failures of queens to do what they should have done. We also sing about the seasons of the year, and the birth of children and the growth of apples and the flights of birds. And of the beauty of girls. And we sing often when we're working, or just resting, or courting or cooking even. And certainly when we're hunting or making war. Enca here is singing herself into another world, maybe so she won't feel the pain of the healer's prodding! We make music for dancing and also for lamenting and contemplation. Our instrument of choice is the flute."
"Oh", says Jim. "I never knew everyone who played the flute. I've seen it when people are performing classical music, though. So your music seems traditional. We sing about the beauty of girls a lot. But I've never heard a song about the growth of apples. Sometimes I'll sing myself to sleep, or when I'm shopping. I sing mostly at my concerts and when I'm recording music, though. Recording music means putting it onto vinyl, or onto digital downloads."
"While mostly only one musician plays a tune, or many will play the same tune together, there are musics where several will play different musics together. For this, we have flutes and lutes and tuned bnoes & stones and other instruments. Men have learned from us over the years and their musics too follow after our lead: they have a ... a norqistruun, which is also a whole mob of musicians playing different musics together!"
Norqistruun? Jim is puzzled. Then he figures it out. "Oh, we say 'an orchestra' in English. We have orchestras too, but it's mostly for classical music. Not my line of music. I play rock, where we have guitars and basses and drums and synthesizers, sometimes keyboards."

Nico hesitates a little --- these edfuun don't seem like they're made for Daine ears! But he figures out how to get them over his head without catching his ear-tips. --- The music starts again, and he sits in stunned silence for some time, eyes unfocus, breathing becomes shallow. Then, he begins to smile, shakes himself awake as the music ends, turns to Jim and gives him a big fangy grin: "You know, Gem, I could see that music and feel myself in it!"
"Yeah, I sometimes see music too", Jim says. "You synaesthetic by any chance? Or are all your people synaesthetic? But yeah, the music genres definitely have colors to me. When I hear hip-hop, for instance, it sounds red, while pop is just pink. Everyone seems to agree that kuro is black though, since it was named after the Japanese word for 'black'."
"Wow, now that's pretty deep dwimmery and all! I don't think our healers do that, but they have to get some part of themselves into a body in order see what's wrong inside. Maybe they can make some part of themselves tiny? Or maybe they can send some part of their mind or spirit into the injured person's body? I don't know. Maybe Risatri can say better. She's a healer!"
"Oh, somatonauts use special technology -- machines -- to make themselves tiny. Something about removing the redundant space inside the atoms. I saw a telepaper article on the science once on King TV. Still don't understand it too well. After all, my specialty is music, not science."
"Sure, that's pretty basic, I think. Well --- most parts of the body can be so treated! A severed head will kill a Daine as quickly as it will kill a Man! Severed eyes and severed nuts --- those can't be put back." Nico shudders at the thought of losing either: "But like I said, there are, you know, recompensations. A girl who loses her eyes will, in time, often see far more without than with! A boy whose nuts are crushed or severed, well, there are some dwimcrafty healers, mostly out west in Darenalliê they say, who can heal such wounds. They say that the boy has to hunt and kill whatever beast the healer sees in a vision. Then, she can take the beast's own part and fuse it on to the boy. In so doing, though, the boy becomes fused to the beast too! Some have learnt to tame their beast and take his shape at will, even to run with others of that kind and live among them."

"But this has to be done quick! Lest the Change overtake the injured boy. Such a one will, after some while, become a girl! A beautiful girl she will become on the outside, but boy remain in her heart and mind! Many sad songs are sung and tales told of such fellows. They're called girls that walk both ways, and we'll often call them by different words. Like, I'm a boy, so people will say 'dene' and when they speak of Enca, a girl, they will say 'derí' and when they talk about us together, boy and girl twins together, they say 'salem'; but other siblings, and twins that are boys or girls, they will call them 'ena'(*). But a walker, they might call her 'danvo'; some they might call 'dení' or 'dere' --- can you hear that? Like a mixing of words for male and female! Some refuse to acknowledge the Change and people might continue to call them 'dene'. Sometimes a walker will choose a word she wants to be called by, and may even take for herself a new name, and there will be a feast to commemorate his transformation. Others will not care, and some may be called either 'derí' or 'dene' depending on their mood or behaviour.(**)"
Jim's eyes widen with fascination. "So you people cannibalize yourselves with other creatures? Coooooool! Sounds like something I'd watch in scary movies. Do you know what a movie is? That's something where we sit in front of a screen, and watch recordings of people and sometimes animals or aliens moving around and talking. Movies used to be only in black, white and grey, with no sound. Then they added talking and music and sound effects to movies. Then they added full color. And then they made movies 3D! I'll have to tell you about virtual reality sometime, it's even better than movies!"

Jim continues. "Boys becoming girls? So are they transgender, or just intersex? We have some people on Earth who aren't gender-binary. They use pronouns like "xe", though most of them just go by 'they'. Or like you combine 'derí' and 'dene' into 'dení' and 'dere', we can combine the male 'his' and the female 'her' into 'hir'. 'His' and 'her' are possessives in English, like 'my' and 'your'."
"It sounds like what we'd call magick! Or alchemy! Do you people have alchemy? We used to have alchemy in our world, but it evolved into chemistry. When I was in lyceum, we took a course in science that taught us about the different elements -- helium, oxygen, hydrogen, lead, gold, silver, mercury, neon . . . our scientists know more than 120 of these elements now!"
"Ah, 'matsiq'. Yes, that's what Men call dwimmery. Sorry, but they're really no good at it! They try, though: they have wizards that study dwimmery, and they have, like, weird rituals they do in order to wright it to shape. From the stories I've heard, I think they're too dangerous. Men should not meddle in the affairs of the dwimcrafty! I will credit them, though, for making great strides in 'thaumology', the application of dwimmery to ordinary devices. Men often make for great thaumic tinkers and factitioners. I've seen some of their wares: once we went up the Great Fair at the Old City, and there were some thaumic tinkers from Auntimoany by the Sea.
"Antimony?", Jim asks. "You mean like the poisonous chemical element?"
They had a kind of spectacles with frames you could rotate that would allow you darken the lenses at midday and even look into the face of the Sun, or you could turn them the other way and see passably in the dark. I can see well enough at night, they didn't do me much good!
"Sound like sunglasses", said Jim. "A lot of us rock stars and pop stars wear them. So thaumology is like what we call technology?"
Another had this strange device that could make poetry: you'd wind up the handle on the side of the box, and these little wheels would whirr round inside, and on windows in the top of the box you could see words on turning discs. When the discs stop spinning, trained imps in a little house on top of the box would read the poem from the words on the discs. They said they didn't have a box prepared for our language, but the bit of poetry the imps recited, so the Man said, was accounted quite poetical in the tongues of Men and Teyor alike.
"Imps? As in demons? Or goblins? You have those? We just use machines to do that. Now, I'd like to listen to one of these poetry boxes! Is Teyor another species?"

Jim turns to the patrons of the tavern. "Has another brought a poetry box along?", he asks.
I wasn't really convinced. They've learned how to destill the spirits of 'djuus' to make light and to use the 'quarmaya' to create moving devices. Of course, they got the idea of destilling 'djuus' from salamanders from us, and Men can't make 'quarmayanye' at all --- only Daine have learned that mystery! It's the 'quarmayanye' that drive our airships into the winds and the 'quarmayanye' that make the great 'brontoreedes' of the postway rumble along.(***)"
Jim is lost. "Is 'djuus' juice, like what you get from fruits? The sugar-and-water part, I mean? And what's quarmaya? Brontoreedes? Is that like a brontosaurus or a brontothere?"
"Chemia, I know Men practice that art. Our monks too. It is a kind of yoga of mind and matter they say. As things are transformed by the chemia of matter; so the mind is transformed by the chemia of the spirit. I think it sounds like a kind of Mannish philosophy. I have heard of the metals you name, but not those other things. What are they? I know there are many elements in chemia, like air and heat and 'djuus' and water and coal and palesilver and quartz and adamantine, but I don't know how many elements there are. Enca and me have some books of chemia --- they have good recipes in there that have helped us make other things. She says there's even a recipe in one of em for soap! But it's not many Men that seem to know how to apply it to their bodies! Anyway, I looked at the book once, and I couldn't make wing or tail of it. I can't read the words, so they don't do me any good unless Enca reads me from it. But there's all kinds of squiggle pictures like little worms and nadders and trees and so forth. She says those are chemic words, and if you put the chemic words together in the right order, your get a chemic logion; and then, if you substitute the right substances for the words in the book, you end up making something useful! I'm sure glad she knows how to read all than gibberish!"
"Sounds like alchemy to me", said Jim. "Or maybe magic. You don't happen to have a chemia book with you, do you? Never heard of palesilver. Helium is an element we put into balloons. There's a whole lot of it in Earth's sun, as well as in other stars. It makes things float upward because it's so light. Oxygen? That's something we breathe. It's in the air! Hydrogen is in water. Every molecule of water has two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. Hydrogen is the lightest and most stable element there is. I remember learning in lyceum that hydrogen had one proton, which meant its 'atomic number' was one. Now they have elements like newtonium and landauvium, though, with over 120 protons packed into a single atom! And neon is this really cool element! It's a gas that people can put into tubes to make really bright, flashy signs. They put these signs on stores."
"Oh", said Jim, disappointment visible on his face. He was disappointed that Nico couldn't truly fly. "Can the girls fly?", he asked. "Not like penguins, but with the grace of, say, swans on the wing? Airships? You mean like zeppelins? In America, we named a band after a zeppelin. Led Zeppelin. Although now we have jumbo jets and rockets that can take people to Mars. Mars is a planet -- it's all red -- that's next to my planet, Earth. They have water on Mars too."
Nico gives Jim a small smile: "Yeah, I'm sorry I can't fly too! If I were a skin changer, I'd certainly hope to learn how to become a bird. Then I could fly..." Nico trails off for a moment, lost in some reverie.

"And no, girls can't fly, nor like swans nor like penguins! Their wings are too short, and they can't even leap-glide the way we do."
"A skin changer?", asks Jim. "That phrase makes my skin crawl. Is that like a shapeshifter? Where you can transform into other species?"
"But there is one thing either of us can do, though I think not many have tried. One time we were up flying, only Enca didn't know I'd attached a length of stout cord with a wood handle on it to our bird. I got out of my seat-well and took a leap off the side! I didn't fall because of the cord, but I was able to figure out how to move my wings and shift my body so that I could at least soar along under our bird! I couldn't help yipping for the pure joy of soaring in the air, and I'm sure Enca heard me: when I pulled myself back up onto the bird, I thought for sure she hadn't even noticed, but boy she lit right into me as soon as we landed again! And she didn't let up for the better part of a fortnight and a half!" He sighs deeply: "Haven't been able to try that trick again!"(****)
"Sounds like hang-gliding", says Jim. "We do it, except with machines instead of birds. And they don't have imps inside. Enca, Nico, would you mind if I went, um . . . bird-gliding with you two sometime?"
"Well us boys can't feed their little ones milk either! But yeah, there are a lot of differences. Like, girls think differently than we do. They're better and talking about things and discussing and and you know, agreeing on things. That's why only girls can be queens. But we're better at understanding how things work. So, Enca can dream up an airship, and sort out all the sums and chemia and architecture then describe it me and I can actually make sense of what she's saying and build it for her. Like, she could see the wings, but she had no idea how to make them move, or what shape they should be. I knew right away, well, they have to be shaped like a bird's, they have to be painted like a bird's and they have to move kind of like a bird's. She's better at flying the airship --- I'm better at leaping off the side and soaring below! We like different kinds of stories. When it comes to story books, 'mancalio', they like more detailed description, especially of emotion and setting and dialogue. We like histories and action more."
"Oh, until the eleventies our leaders were mostly men", says Jim. "Now they have more women in office. But yeah, that sounds like boys and girls on Earth, though. The boys are better at understanding machines. Not I, though, I understand how guitars and microphones and amps work at that's about it. I don't play the video games that other boys enjoy. They just bore me. And here we have a sport called football that boys are more likely than girls to understand how to play. Football bores me too, and I don't even understand the rules." Jim laughs at Nico's description of stories. "Yeah, the girls like romance novels. In fact, my girlfriend Kate liked to go to romantic movies."
"And our eyes are also quite different!" Nico opens up the flap at the back of the leather notebook, takes out some round-shafted colored charcoal crayons & sorts through them. Puts one particular one, a hexagonal-shafted one, aside, then picks through the others. Jim notices that each of the crayons has a number of hash-marks near the end. Nico has sorted them into two basic piles, seemingly haphazardly. He opens the notebook to the picture of the airship, then looks at Jim.

"See, you have to understand, that we, Enca and me, see two very different worlds. When she wakes up from Risatri's prodding, she can tell you about every colour and hue you can imagine and, and what she calls "depth" and --- I forget the word. It's like, I don't know: more colour in one thing than another thing of the same hue? I don't even pretend to understand! But me, I see a world of maybe three colors?" He pushes all the greens, blues, greys in their pile towards Jim's left side; all the reds, browns, yellows, oranges, violets towards his right. One crayon in each pile has, apart from the hash-marks, an X carved into its wood. "To me, this whole pile makes the same colour as this crayon, while over here, this pile makes the same colour as this crayon." Jim notices that all the greens and blues equal the X-marked glas-coloured crayon, while the oranges and yellows and violets all equal a kind of washed-out red-coloured crayon. "I can see greys as lighter shading of black, and I can also see the black-red of a fire through the bakehouse wall; I can even see the third moon of Gea, the one every girl says doesn't exist, even when it's pointed out to them! This is the same black-red I see in the middle of your right eye, but not in the left! If I knew how fast your heart was beating, I'm sure the throbbing of the black-red would match in time and rhythm!"(*****)
"So that's what you're seeing!", said Jim. "Among humans, color vision has nothing to do with gender, except boys are more likely than girls to be color-blind. Color-blindness is when people can't tell red from green, or see everything in black, white and grey. It's only small minority of humans who are like that, though. I can see all the colors out of my right eye -- except ultraviolet and infrared. I need to put on special glasses to see ultraviolet light. Gea? Sometimes we call Earth 'Gaia'. Are you talking about my planet, by any chance?"

Jim explains his own vision. "People with two eyes have a left and a right eye that combine to see things with depth, everything in front of you. Seeing in stereo, they say. Since I have only one eye, I can't see in stereo. I often miss the depth of a flight of stairs, for instance. One day I was at a concert in this big public building, right? And I have to climb down some stairs. I had been smoking marijuana, and I didn't see the depth with my one eye. So I just . . . fell down the stairs."
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Firebird766 wrote: Unfortunately, Netza was starting to work himself up into a good rant. This is apparently a topic that he has a lot of passion for. "I guess you could call them human if you want to be generous. Nah, they made us speak theirs. So we lost the old languages because the kids weren't being taught them. According to the stories, they even had people going around door to door trying to catch folks speaking them in the home. Actually, 'human' is too good of a term for those festering pustules."
"You're right, they sound inhuman to me", says Jim. "You have any records of those old languages left? In America, we almost lost the Hawaiian language that way! Teachers in Hawaii would beat kids who were speaking Hawaiian instead of English in class. Sometimes it's boring having ancestors from England. That means I don't have my own ethnic language, instead of just the English language that almost all Americans can speak."

[/quote][/quote]

Jim covers his mouth with his hand. "Is -- is he your slave?", Jim asks Risatri. "And are you Muisin?"
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Egerius wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Hi, I'm Jim Musiclover.
Oh, Argenzu stops reading whatever he read, starts typing, turns around his laptop and displays a picture of Jim on his laptop, we've got a databank of billions of humans in our networks. Not a single one with some written remains has been left out... until 2199, then, I'm afraid, everyone left Earth.
I'm Argenzu Montèis, student and citizen of the Ladroman Republic. By my sides are Berenice Czwortak and my dog and valuable companion, Edelwulf.
"Cooooooooool!", says Jim as he looks at his pictures. "Yep, that's me all right, from the year 2028. Can you show me what I look like in the year 2058?"

Jim contemplates 2199. "2199? So you're from even further in Earth's history than I am! Are your people still using iPods in your time? Are they still writing cool songs? What are the musicians of the future and their music like?"
Argenzu takes out a bottle of Pepsi, opens it and drinks some of it. He skims over to Edelwulf, who has switched to a different book. Argenzu giggles.
Hehe, Henry Portman and the Serpentine Followers... I loved the movies of that series. And the books are just awesome.
"Edelwulf likes Henry Portman?," asks Jim. "Sounds like Harry Potter. A lot like Harry Potter. The Harry Potter novels are classics of literature, taught in lyceum. Back when there were more Christians, the books were controversial because Christians said they promoted witchcraft."

Jim looks at Argenzu's Pepsi. "What kind of drinks do they have here?", he asks. "Do they have alcohol like maltuccinos? Or maybe a gin? I still haven't had something to drink. D'you also serve marijuana here? That ganja sure can make you thirsty."
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
      • I've been around the rainbow
Nico scratches his head furiously and curls his lips as if in some deep thought. He suddenly snatches at the journal and crayons; he bends over them, his hair falling over the table, obscuring the view for a while...

At last he drops the crayon from his left hand and pushes his hair back with the right. He pushes the opened journal over towards Jim. "There! That's what I saw in your music!"

Jim looks at the drawing before him. His mouth opens wide and his eyebrows rise.

"Cooooooooooooooooool!", he says. "Mushrooms and rainbows . . . just like the song. Is that supposed to be an elf or something? With those ears? Or is that just how you see me? With my different eyes?"
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote:Jim looks at the drawing before him. His mouth opens wide and his eyebrows rise.

"Cooooooooooooooooool!", he says. "Mushrooms and rainbows . . . just like the song. Is that supposed to be an elf or something? With those ears? Or is that just how you see me? With my different eyes?"
Nico smiles: "Nah, I'm pretty sure I was watching myself. But the images, like bright lights and swirls and patterns floating all around were terribly disorienting! See, look at my ears!" He turns his head a bit and pushes a mass of tangly hair back from an ear with its long tip gracefully swept back. There were several small rings of silver pierced through near the tip. "Anyway, I hope I don't really look quite this strange! It sure felt weird, having mushrooms growing out of my head and wings and tongue and it seems like almost everywhere else! And all these little fairies rushing about their business in the mushrooms and all!" He points to some of the mushrooms in the picture, where he's drawn in some mushroom fairies.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: Nico smiles: "Nah, I'm pretty sure I was watching myself. But the images, like bright lights and swirls and patterns floating all around were terribly disorienting! See, look at my ears!" He turns his head a bit and pushes a mass of tangly hair back from an ear with its long tip gracefully swept back. There were several small rings of silver pierced through near the tip. "Anyway, I hope I don't really look quite this strange! It sure felt weird, having mushrooms growing out of my head and wings and tongue and it seems like almost everywhere else! And all these little fairies rushing about their business in the mushrooms and all!" He points to some of the mushrooms in the picture, where he's drawn in some mushroom fairies.
Jim is relieved. So Nico wasn't drawing him. "Those earrings you got?" Then he looks over at the mushroom fairies. "And they have fairies on your world? You know, there were two girls on Earth who took photos that may have been hoaxes or may have been the real thing. We call them the Cottingley Fairies. That was early in the twentieth century, though, and in the twenty-first, the year 2028, we still haven't proven that fairies exist. We now know that the Dover Demon and Sasquatch exist, though."
♂♥♂♀

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Khemehekis wrote:"Cooooooooool!", says Jim as he looks at his pictures. "Yep, that's me all right, from the year 2028. Can you show me what I look like in the year 2058?"

Jim contemplates 2199. "2199? So you're from even further in Earth's history than I am! Are your people still using iPods in your time? Are they still writing cool songs? What are the musicians of the future and their music like?"

"Edelwulf likes Henry Portman?," asks Jim. "Sounds like Harry Potter. A lot like Harry Potter. The Harry Potter novels are classics of literature, taught in lyceum. Back when there were more Christians, the books were controversial because Christians said they promoted witchcraft."

Jim looks at Argenzu's Pepsi. "What kind of drinks do they have here?", he asks. "Do they have alcohol like maltuccinos? Or maybe a gin? I still haven't had something to drink. D'you also serve marijuana here? That ganja sure can make you thirsty."
No, I'm afraid, I cannot reveal anything about your future, Argenzu says with a stern and slightly pityful face.
I am bound to the laws of non-interference.

And, well, technically, we only have the data of Tèrran Internet until 2199, I and my companions, we're far more removed from your present, by 4.096 million years! And, adding to that, we live on a different planet.
I think..., Argenzu turns very quiet and leans towards Jim, I can tell you that our planet was devised as a reservation habitat not even a decade before Earth was abandoned. And the species that had the luck to live there, on Newman-576d - Rodentèrra, came to take the place of humankind in their new home.

Berenice now reaches into her backpack and starts reading a leather-bound book. On closer inspection, one can see the golden lettering, which reads MEGALOBIBLIÓN - Edizión Nuova Tèrra - Justa et precisa traduçión (Megalobiblión, Edition for the New Lands, Just and Precise Translation).

Argenzu rolls his eyes, then continues:
Music will always be made. Even we create new music, even though you might think otherwise. Some human music just doesn't suit us, but there is also the language barrier. Nobody learns English with having no-one to speak to, except for working with the sources we have. Latin, and many other old languages of Tèrran Europe, have re-evolved in almost the same way on the continent I call my home, Taèna, so there's that.

We certainly use the melodies of Tèrran artists, but the lyrics are sung in our tounges. Wínlandisch, comparable to English, Classical Buonavallese, comparable to Standard Italian and Gniezdanian, comparable to Polish, for example. And I happen to be fluent in all three.

For the media... some of us still use cassette tapes, some use vinyl, many use CDs and a growing number uses our version of the iPod. I just don't have one and use my cellular phone, instead.
We might have the advantage of more viewpoints, because there are more species we can talk to, Argenzu and Edelwulf make a perfect high five with only their periphery sight, then they smile, but we also have a broad pop music genre almost everyone is listening to.

Upon hearing the name Harry Potter, Edelwulf stops reading and Argenzu's eyes twinkle slightly. They look at each other and smile.
Berenice turns away and sighs.

Haha, I read the original in Latin a year ago or so. Henry Portman is essentially a re-written, adapted version of the Tèrran, British original.
Eversince I watched the second movie (of our version) as a kid I wanted to get my letter.
I did a house-sorting test, after a friend told me about these, and it put me in the house of Eadburg Earnowe - Ravenclaw, in Tèrran. It went as expected, so to say, I mean, I have some knowledge of Old Wínlandisc and Old Alanic, and I can write like a medieval scribe.

Yeah, religious objections were, and are, going nuts because of Portman too. Although it's just a work of fiction and magic doesn't exist, neither on Earth nor on Rodentèrra.

Argenzu, please, Berenice complains, stop talking about that. It's pagan and occult.
Berenice, it's not real, he replies.

Berenice turns her ears to the direction of Jim as soon as she hears the word Christian: Jim, tell me, what happened to the Christians?

Argenzu starts typing on his laptop, Edelwulf continues reading the fantasy book, and he seems to be near the end of it.
None of us three enjoys alcohol, Argenzu says, and we don't do any drugs, either – although, marijuana is legally available in the Ladroman Republic, and across all the members of Latin Union. Alcohol is expensive – except wine, tobacco is even more expensive, and marijuana is distributed at state-run stores at cheap prices.
Our fight against drugs has been settled to a set of chains, in contrast to the North-Magellanian raids across the sea which have calmed down in the last couple of years.
And we have countless soft drinks! Well, sugar-reduced, as compared to human standards, we can't handle too much, even after over four million years of evolution, but we are sugar-addicts just as you.
Last edited by Egerius on 30 Oct 2016 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote:"Well, where I'm from", says Jim, "Most people can't walk on water. We have some lizards that can do it, though, and some insects."
"Oh, yeah! All I meant was, well, like what the monks teach: the one who sings a thing into existence is the one who surely has power over that thing. Of all the people ever to tread upon sod or stone, that would be the one to tread upon water too."
"A deist is someone who believes in God, unlike an atheist, and is sure about it, unlike an agnostic, but he isn't a Christian, and he isn't a Jew, and he isn't a Muslim, and he isn't a Buddhist, and he isn't a Hindu, and he isn't a Sikh, and he isn't a Rastafarian, and he isn't a Wiccan, and he isn't a Baha'i, and he isn't a Zoroastrian."
The names wash over Nico like waves on the shore! "I've not heard of most of those names before, but the religions and gods that Men make for themselves have always baffled me. The only land of Men we know well is Auntimoany. We have kin there, you see, and our cousins regale us with tales of life and goings on there. The better part of half of them are Eserians --- they venerate many gods. The rest are Kristians or Bodhians or Yehudians --- they all venerate the Creator. I've never heard of 'Teeists' or 'Ganosticks' before. They sound philosophical, though. And, oh, yeah! Not a few are Felsaphoi. They say these are Men who venerate the Creator, but they don't have other gods and Felsaphos isn't a religion. As I understand it, it's all about thinking about things, like how things work and how they came to be and the nature of things."
"What are the Christians hoping Jesus will save them from? From going to Hell, I suppose. Hell is where people go when they die, if they've been bad. People used to believe you'd go to Hell for being gay among other things, but almost no one believes that anymore. Christians have all this talk about 'falling', but I wasn't raised Christian, so I don't know what in the galaxy they're talking about."
"Hmm. Why would some Men say folks are being sent to Hell for being joyful? That doesn't make sense!"
"Sawyers?", asks Jim. "We read a book about a boy named Tom Sawyer in lyceum. Is that whom you're talking about."
"Oh, sawyers are folk who collect all the Lore and Old Stories of a folk. Us Daine we have sawyers that study our own Lore and Stories, but it seems to be Men who are keen on the Lore of all folks --- Daine and Turghun and Dhargh and Teyor and Yttuun and Giants alike. Years ago there were even two sawyers come through our little town. We still remember their names, Wellam and Yaquvaz. They were heading off into the West, into Siviria where they hoped to find some Hotai folk and study their Lore and Stories. We never saw them again, but hope ever that they fill their pocketbooks with stories and come back home again safely! Hotai are perilous folk to deal with."

"Anyway, the sawyers of Men they call Immortals, I guess because they have stored up so much ancient Lore and wisdom. They are always welcome wanderers through the Westmarche, I think because they love stories so much and we Daine love to tell stories! They all look alike to us, so they're easy to spot wandering the back roads of the land: they all wear dingy white trousers and long black cowls. And, and they all carry great satchels full of books that they fill up with a curious kind of scribble whenever they hear a story being told or a smart kenning being dropped. They always travel in pairs: either two or four or eight. Never in threes or sevens. They also seem to have grey hair and wear those big round spectacles in front of their eyes. I asked them what the spectacles did for them, and heard a wonderful story about some king in the Great West who had spectacles made for him one time. The artificer worked and worked on them, and then presented them to the king, saying that they would grant him the power of truly clear vision. He would be able to see all things and all people only as they truly are. When he wore them, sure enough, he could see all their deceits and cunning plans and back stabbing and all sorts of odd things Men get up to when they are close to the king. Eventually, he despaired of ever meeting a single man who was honest and forthright, because everyone he looked at harbored some hidden dishonesty towards him. I guess he was saying, in a roundabout way, that his spectacles help him see what's really there whenever he's making notes about a story or some bit of lore."
Jim's right eye glazes over at the talk of long-months and long-years. "Your people have been around for millions of years, it sounds like. Humans on Earth haven't recorded their history that long. Only for about twelve millennia. A millennium is what we call ten centuries, or a thousand years. 28 years ago we started in on the third millennium A.D., that means the third millennium counting from the birth of Jesus. But your people . . . they use names like Mended Peacock . . . or like, like Purple Kohlrabi. Won't they eventually run out of adjective-noun combinations?"
"I don't know how long it has been since Daine first awoke from their first slumber. I do know that the Teyor, the Elder Kindred, well remember those ages and many more before that!"

"The Men of Auntimoany, I think, can barely account for twenty centuries of their own history; while other Men of the East can perhaps account for a hundred centuries. There are, among our monks, yet a few who can yet recall those distant years of their own youth when Men first crossed over into the Lands of Sunrise."

"It's been many long ages since Men first awoke and wandered out of the distant Southlands. They have long since forgotten those first ages of their awakening, yet we still tell many tales of joy and woe from those times in our history." Nico sighs and trails off...clearly a topic of some distress or great sadness.
"Sunqueen?", asks Jim. "As in, your planet has an actual queen who controls the weather? Sounds like something out of a fairy tale. Am I dreaming?" Jim pinches himself, and is surprised to feel the pain.
"Oh, yes! But of course, you must know of the weather queens --- after all, you know of Iyesushuê so you must also be familiar with the Angels and Powers too."

"The queens of Summer and Winter, of Fall and Spring; even the queens of Moons and Sun and Stars --- they are all but high servants of the Powers. They watch over the weather and movements of heavenly bodies; their queen is Ardâm, the Queen of Midworld. She is the watcher over of all growing things, the maker of Sun and Moons. But they are also close friends of Vanayallen, the Lady of Stars and Heavens. She is Queen of Gea and also Queen of the Seven Powers; it was she who wrought the stars and set them in their courses, and also the Sun and the Moons. But only the two Moons of old. The third one is new, and at variance with the courses of the others."

"We younger folk have never seen any of these great folk, but among the Teyor are those who have long walked with even the mightiest!"
"What are Daine?," Jim asks. "Are they a species like humans or orcs or Greys or elves? Or are they a nationality or ethnic group, like American and Polish and English and Mexican and Japanese?"
"Whisht!!" Nico leaps up, looking actually scared. A chill draft seeps under the door to the great Hall and he reaches for his knife, glancing from window to door, as if expecting an army of Fair Folk to come careening into the place, but forgetting that he's already tossed it along with his rucksack and its spilled contents over onto the other table by Argenzu and his gang. He looks around apprehensively, and then sits again, calming himself. "Never speak that name! I do not know what 'greys' are, but orcs, or Hotai and Men and Daine are well known. I have now heard of 'Meriquun' and 'Pulusi' and 'Yingilisi', but ---" and now he looks with great annoyance at Jim "--- never speak that other name!" Nico's voice lowers to a whisper: "They are evil folk! Masters of deception and not a whit of concern for the lives or safety of any folk but their own. They are tricky people: sometimes they pretend to do some good, but no good ever comes from dealings with an...er...with that folk. Even the wisest and most powerful of Daine can scarcely withstand their power; and Men are hopelessly enchanted by their glamour! They fear only Turghun. I don't know why that should be, but I'd rather not invite their ire or their attention to this place!"

Nico shakes his wings and shudders, then calms down again. "A Daine? He scratches his head, trying to figure out how to say the obvious: "Well, we're Daine! People. In Gea there are Men, seeming a lot like you, there are Daine, that's us. There are also Dharghs: they look a little like Men and may be kin to them. They live even shorter lives than Men, and Men already live a very short while indeed! We live a much longer while than Men, and even Men account us fairer of face and more graceful than their kind. Men have lost their wings, and I think this why Iyesushuê came among them a while back."

"I don't know what specieses are, but we consider ourselves one of the kinds of Udan or people in Gea. There are three great kindreds: Enca and me are Tana, ordinary Daine; there are also Turghun and Mahrag. If I understand your Meriquun and Yinglisi nations, then there are many nations of Tana, Turghun and Mahrag. Enca and me are Sharrundaine: we have black hair and feathers, very light skin and clear blue eyes. In Darennaliê, folk there are Troaghladaine: they have brown hair and feathers and their eye colors vary. Mind you, they all look grey to me! Beyond them, in Siviria, there are many Troaghladaine thedes living in many small queendoms. There are also Alghadaine: they have red hair and feathers and usually green eyes. In Syansyan to the south, beyond even the Marches and the Little Kingdoms, there are Daine who are very short and have a beautiful reddish skin, though Enca says their skin is brown. They too have black hair and blue and black feathers."

"The hair of Tana may be straight or wavy and is usually thick. Turghun hair is a right mess! It is extremely coarse and wavy and they never comb it and it gets tangled easily. They also have broad faces and powerful bodies. Their boys have short, coarse hair on their arms and legs and chests and their teeth are big and uneven. Their voices are rougher than ours. Mahrag hair is more like ours, but they rarely apply comb to either hair or feathers. They are tall like us and their faces look like those of dogs: they have long snouts long fangs, even longer than ours! Turghun never wear any clothing at home (and we sometims don't too), but they dress like us when they're out travelling or working in their gardens or hunting. They like the jewelry we make, and like most kindreds of Tana, they will wear a lot of it! Mahrag never wear clothing of any kind, except in winter they'll throw a hide of something around their bodies. They don't wear much jewelry either. All three of our kindreds are avid warriors and fine hunters. Turghun, I've learned, are naturals at making crafty things, and I think if Enca could describe one her airships to one, he'd be able to build one very easily!"
Jim laughs at the name Yellowmath. "Is that 'math' like in the word 'aftermath'? I suppose it doesn't have to do with adding and multiplying numbers."
Nico shrugs: "I do not know what it means. 'Math' is a Mannish word. They seem to use it where we use emunas --- that is what we call the time between the first waxing and last waning of the greater Moon. Intyas is what we call the time between the first waxing and the last waning of the lesser Moon. But it is the Greater Moon, Gea's twin, that we reckon time by. Sicasapayein is what we call doing sums and counting numbers!"
"We can Yellowmath autumn, or fall, when it's no longer really hot and the leaves are turning orange and brown, but winter when all the leaves have fallen off the deciduous trees and the days are really short but getting longer. We have something called Christmas early in the winter. It's supposed to celebrate the birth of Jesus, even though Jesus wasn't actually born in the winter. Mostly though, it's a time for shopping and buying a lot, and probably half of the people who celebrate Christmas aren't even Christians. Not too fond of Christmas myself."
"That they call Yeolas, in the darkest nights of the year. Even the Daine of Auntimoany celebrate the turning of the Lady Sun back towards the Northlands!"
Jim blushes. "Thanks. Yes, I get lots of girl fans, and the occasional boy -- I'm bisexual. But your reruthio-playing can't be that bad. What's a reruthio, anyway? Is that like a guitar?"
"What does 'bisexual' mean? And yes, my reruthio playing is all that bad! I can play the flute okay---" He reaches over to the debris from his rucksack on the other table and fishes out a short length of wood "---this is a siryethseyethwario; a flute like we make. It is made after the kind of flute played by the Teyor. I like it because of the extra holes, and you can play more notes. Our native flute has only six holes, arranged so that you can only play in certain modes."
Jim laughs. "Oh, no", says Jim. "We don't actually put music on pants. We put them on electronic circles called CD's, or occasionally LP's, that are made out of the same substance as the pants I'm wearing here. Vinyl. But most music is in digital format now -- what we call music like my iPod's music."
"Hihi! I think you will get along fine with Argenzu! He has magic boxes of all kinds!"
Jim's left eyebrow quirks. Then he figures out Nico's misunderstanding. "Last name? Oh, no, we don't change people's names after death. Not in America at least. They do that in a country called Australia though. Ever heard of the musician George Rrurrambu? He changed his name after death." Then it hits Jim: of course Nico hadn't heard of George Rrurrambu. "When we say 'last name' in my language, we mean surname. So Dzwonkowski is Stan's surname. And yeah, he's alive and young."
"Oh I see! I misunderstood! Among us, it is usual for a close loved one to give a last name to someone who has died, and she will usually be referred to in that way by friends and family alike. So, a surname is like a clan name?"
Jim continues. "Polish means he comes from a country called Poland. He's an American too, but he's of Polish descent. One thing you've got to understand about Americans, is there's no 'race' called American. We Americans have ancestors from all over the planet. There are English-Americans, and Scottish-Americans, and Polish-Americans, and German-Americans, and Mexican-Americans, and Jewish-Americans, and Irish-Americans, and Italian-Americans, and African-Americans, and Arab-Americans, and Jamaican-Americans, and Chinese-Americans, and Japanese-Americans, and Korean-Americans, and Hawaiians, and Laotian-Americans, and Filipino-Americans, and even Hmong and Mien and Lahu Americans. There are also some tribes that were here before the rest of the world discovered America, like the Navajo and the Cherokee, but most Americans don't belong to one of these tribes."
Nico seems thoughtful: "These Meriquun seem to all be mestizos!"
My name at birth was James Samuel Wordsworth; Wordsworth is an English surname. But I legally changed my name to Jim Musiclover after I became a star. So anyway, Stan Dzwonkowski is the lead singer of a band called Sulfur Pie. They do really edgy, angry music."
"Wordsworth is also a fine name for a bard and wordsmith!"
Jim grins. "Oh, no, I don't describe myself a bard. I'm a musician, and specifically a lead singer and guitarist. I was just saying that I expected bards to be passing through this tavern here. We had bards many centuries ago; they were in a world a lot like this. Except everyone was human. No one had wings. We called it the 'Middle Ages', or 'medieval' times. Then there was the Renaissance, when we had writers like William Shakespeare, who wrote a bunch of plays about kings losing their crowns and getting slain and committing suicide. There were bards then, too, I think. Now we just basically have musicians like me who do tours. A tour is when a musicians visits many different venues and plays their songs."
"Mm. Kings seem to be particularly good at losing their crowns! Many tales I've heard about kings losing crowns and other kings finding them again. And you must trúly be a bard --- our bards also wander the land singing their songs for different folk! We are not so different on that score!"
"Gem?", Jim asks. "You mean 'Jim'? Jim is short for James. James is the old French pronunciation of the Latin form of the Hebrew name Jacob. Jacob, or Yaakov, means 'taken by the heel'. My parents named me James, but I always went by Jim. When I became a star, I made Jim my legal first name the same time I changed my last name -- my surname -- from Wordsworth to Musiclover."
Nico tries the other forms of the name: "Zhaymes. Zhayaquuv. I think I like Gem best! We always have long names, but usually go by a much shorter facename, like 'Nico'!"
"Africa is a continent", said Jim. "The people who live in Africa or have ancestors from Africa have dark skin and fuzzy hair and brown eyes and full lips and broad noses. We call them 'Black' people. I'm a 'White' person, by contrast, with light skin and freckles and blue eyes and think lips and a straight nose." Pink? Punk. "Oh no," Jim says. "Pink is a color. Like red, only lighter. It's considered a girly color. Punk's not the same as pink. If punk music had a color, it would be black, or maybe black or red. Maybe green -- back in the nineties there was a punk band called Green Day. I've had green days before -- they're awesome. A green day is when you spend the whole day high on marijuana!"
"Yes, you are one of the blaqmên. In Auntimoany, many of them are blaowmên, very dark black-blue of skin with white hair and blue eyes. Others are blaqmên and still others are suuartmên and their skin is the black of deepest night and it's said they come from across the wide and deep Sea. Our kin in that land they call blanckmên, because their skin is the white of snow."

"It is funny: in that land, the suuartmên don't like being called blaqe, because that word means "white"; yet the word people use to name the color of their skins is blaqe, because it also means "darkest black"!
"Oh", says Jim. "I never knew anyone who played the flute. I've seen it when people are performing classical music, though. So your music seems traditional. We sing about the beauty of girls a lot. But I've never heard a song about the growth of apples. Sometimes I'll sing myself to sleep, or when I'm shopping. I sing mostly at my concerts and when I'm recording music, though. Recording music means putting it onto vinyl, or onto digital downloads."
"I still don't understand how your music is placed on the cloth of your pants..."
"Yeah, I sometimes see music too", Jim says. "You synaesthetic by any chance? Or are all your people synaesthetic? But yeah, the music genres definitely have colors to me. When I hear hip-hop, for instance, it sounds red, while pop is just pink. Everyone seems to agree that kuro is black though, since it was named after the Japanese word for 'black'."
"When we hear music or stories, it is like being enfolded within: it becomes part of us. Like, one time some of the Elder Kindred came to visit our little town in the Westmarche. There is nearby one of their shrines and they lodged with our family for a while. A great storytelling was to be done that night and our visitors agreed that they would like to experience it. So, Enca and I first took our guests & entertained them for a while in the bath house. They enjoyed the heated and cooled waters and rejoiced to watch the little ones playing and splashing about. After that, rather than mess about with towels and so forth, we just headed on out to the gardens outside the bath house and let ourselves dry off in the warmth of the Sun. We Daine as a rule wear very little clothing — a raka, a kind of tinted or decorated cloth wrapped around the waist generally does for everyone — and so getting dressed after the bath and after preening each others’ feathers is no complicated affair.

After getting dressed, we all went over to the house of maranderi — here folks can choose a nice mendika design and have it expertly applied to the body. I had her place a nice vine of leaurallayeiu on my right arm. Enca chose a sunburst on her left breast. We liked to see one of our Teyor guests choose some wave-patterns running up his left forearm! This particular day we kept it simple — it is entirely possible for a Daine to while away many hours in the house of maranderi! Anyway, sure our guests were hungry after spending the morning cleaning up and so forth, and now that we were all beautifully arrayed and decorated, we turned our minds to something to eat!

We then headed over to our family’s manse to take our luncheon there — today we sampled a lovely oliphant barbecue, meat smoked for three days and rubbed with just the right combination of sweet and spicy — nnmang! Yummy, as we Daine say! The barbecue meat was wrapped up in a flat bread and served with a kind of salted chips made from various tubers. This was followed by a salad of greens straight from the garden, garnished with a kind of peppery-flavoured flower petal. And that followed by a honey and cream cheese confection for afters.

Luncheon is a rather light meal, but we’ll eat rather more later when the shinanntannima, the story crafter, begins her work. I understand the experience will be spectacular! But first, perhaps we should rest a bit in the shade of the garden? Here as the Sun rides high and begins her downward course is a good time for talk, our guests can tell us stories and news from far countries and the lands they have passed through; we can tell them about the doings and goings here in Westmarche. After a while we might take a nap and wake refreshed — for we shall be awake well into the early morning hours under the wheeling stars when once the shinanntannima begins to weave her enchantments over everyone!

At last, as the Lady Sun began her last downward journey, we gathered up a couple rugs and our basket of snacks and cutlery kits and went down to a hollow dell just outside town and find a spot to sit on the gentle grassy slope. As other folks began to gather, we saw them setting out their blankets and hides and rugs and baskets; and the little kids were running all over the place; and young, er, “friends” started making eyes at each other. Soon enough, though, the storytelling begins...

First up was a bit of a rare treat for our guests: a board singer. Although we Daine have long known how to write with inks on vellum and rice & bark papers, it is a particular invention of folk in this region to write by carving syllabics into planks of wood. The signs look a lot like the vine and leaf patterns tinted onto our arms by the maranderi girls. The board singer brings her basket of singing boards down to the place where the story tellers sit and arranged them before her in the correct order. She closes her eyes and the crowd hushes — she picks up the first plank and caresses it with her fingers, tells the story written upon it. Ah, a history of ancient days — a story of Enca and Nico! Our namesakes; the first Daine to cross the Canash river and settle near the lands of the Elder Kindred! Always a crowd pleaser, those two! Hihi!

Her story done, another fellow takes her place. He tells a story of the Great War to the accompaniment of a harp. Some of the older folks around us recall those dark days and they eagerly listen to the retellings of ancient valour; and we can see not a few elbows prodding the sides of neighbours with a quiet “oo, in that battle yester-I fights; how well it now-I recalls!”

But the Lady Sun bids her last farewell to the shining stars and now comes the principal story teller of the night, and long will be her work ere we all go home! A tiny girl sits down upon the rug placed on the grass for the storytellers to sit — she can’t be more than four and a half feet tall, not including the thickly braided black hair piled on top of her head! The weight of many centuries rest upon her shoulders, and though this weight can be seen in her eyes, she appears no older and no less beautiful than a young girl in her thirtieth year. Ah, I see she’s wearing a plain yellow robe draped over her left shoulder and this means she is a monk, and monks it is said may live for many lifetimes of Daine...there is no knowing how many ages of the world she may have walked these lands! Her gift is that of enchantment — and if there were any Men among us, we should be worried on their account because the gift of enchantment is perilous for them to experience. Their minds are so easily led astray! But the Elder Kindred are well prepared for this kind of story and perhaps have travelled hither in part to experience this one night of endless story. She begins the fantasy ...

And before we know what has happened, she has cast her net over us all and has enthralled us within the very essence of narrativity. No one can withstand this kind of magic, unless he be truly deaf, for her voice is music and her words are power!

And then we awake as if from an agelong dream! And yet we know that we have not slept since our nap yesternoon. The Sun’s first light blushes the eastern sky behind us; a curious kind of cold mist is breaking up and drifting away above the hollow dell of the tale weavers; the enchantress is nowhere to be found.

She may have disappeared without a trace, but everyone is happy to have experienced her spell! How many lives did we live and adventures did we undergo this night!? And how many lands both wonderful and awesome did we travel through; and did we not leave this world and travel to other worlds beyond the confines of Sky and Overheaven? Everyone who heard the story weaving knows deep in their bones that they were truly there, living those lives, and loving and even fighting; travelling to those other worlds and even dying there; and yet we also know that where we were in all those ages was the land of story and the us that went into those lands was another us, an inner us. For her words are power and the visions that she conjured and placed before our eyes have entered them and become part of that inner us.

I suppose this is why such stories are not meant for Men; perhaps they can not comprehend that distinction and become confused. But anyway! Our guests seem satisfied with the experience; and now as the Lady Sun rises and presides over another day of All That Is, we’ll get us all home again to our family’s manse and find out what we have to break our fast; for all that adventuring in other worlds was surely hungry work!"
Jim's eyes widen with fascination. "So you people cannibalize yourselves with other creatures? Coooooool! Sounds like something I'd watch in scary movies. Do you know what a movie is? That's something where we sit in front of a screen, and watch recordings of people and sometimes animals or aliens moving around and talking. Movies used to be only in black, white and grey, with no sound. Then they added talking and music and sound effects to movies. Then they added full color. And then they made movies 3D! I'll have to tell you about virtual reality sometime, it's even better than movies!"
Nico thinks for a minute, then smacks the back of his right hand into his left palm, smiling excitedly: "Yes! Yes, um...our cousins told us about this. It's a new thaumology there in Auntimoany, but Men are all crazy over it. They call it a skenekuklodrome, and it's this theatre where a fellow plays upon a harmonestricon and Men watch this kind of shadow play of moving pictures thrown up on the wall. Frankly I don't understand the attraction of it. Men swear the shadow play looks just like people and beasts moving realistically on the wall. But our boy cousins only complained the whole show was nothing but quickly shuffled but ever so slightly different pictures -- there was really nothing moving at all! Our girl cousins all complained that the pictures ought to have been painted in colours. Our boy cousins all said: see, now you understand us better! Some of our boy cousins also complained that they didn't know how to read the Mannish runes the dialogue was written in. But then, the girls said well, you should have learned the runes when we tried to teach you! And anyway, the dialogue was shallow and cliched. Whatever that means! I think if I ever travelled to Auntimoany, I would probably want to see a picture being moved, even if the picture doesn't really move at all. I suppose it's one of those things you have to do when you visit a big city like that!"
Jim continues. "Boys becoming girls? So are they transgender, or just intersex? We have some people on Earth who aren't gender-binary. They use pronouns like "xe", though most of them just go by 'they'. Or like you combine 'derí' and 'dene' into 'dení' and 'dere', we can combine the male 'his' and the female 'her' into 'hir'. 'His' and 'her' are possessives in English, like 'my' and 'your'."
Nico stares at Jim absolutely uncomprehendingly. "Um. Huh? What are those things? Gender-binary??"
"Antimony?", Jim asks. "You mean like the poisonous chemical element?"
"Auntimoany is one of the great kingdoms of Men in the East. We call that land by its ancient name, Onutumun. I'm sure there are many poisons there, though!"
They had a kind of spectacles with frames you could rotate that would allow you darken the lenses at midday and even look into the face of the Sun, or you could turn them the other way and see passably in the dark. I can see well enough at night, they didn't do me much good!
"Sound like sunglasses", said Jim. "A lot of us rock stars and pop stars wear them. So thaumology is like what we call technology?"
"Heh. I've heard that some Daine musicians working in Auntimoany also wear these kinds of sun-spectacles, even at night! Or when they are inside playing their music. And, no technology and thaumology are different: the one is like using all mechanical elements to make an engine of some kind; the other is using mechanical elements and dwimmery --- that is, um, matsiq --- together to make an engine."
"Imps? As in demons? Or goblins? You have those? We just use machines to do that. Now, I'd like to listen to one of these poetry boxes! Is Teyor another species?"
"No, imps are not demons or Hotai. They are a kind of naturally dwimmiferous folk. Men use them in all kinds of devices. They have a farspeaking box where you talk into a brass can and the imps inside strike copper wires with little hammers. And at the other end of the wire, other imps listen to what the wire is singing and then repeat the message in a clear voice. They say it's just like hearing someone talk up close, only they're really very far away! They have another kind of box with imps in that can act like a library: the imps have memorised certain books of lore and wisdom and natural history and they can recite any portion of the book. There are other kinds of boxes that have imps in that can recite the current weather or the time or remember important things."

"Only problem is, imps don't like being imprisoned for too long, so they have to be replaced from time to time. And that can be a bit expensive!"

"We don't have any of those kinds of engines. The only magic box I have like that is one that has a crystal on it that lets you see a tiny map of where you're travelling. I don't think there are any imps inside it --- I never hear any cussing or incessant complaining like you do with imps in the other kinds of boxes. I'd show it you, but I think it stopped working when we crashed. Before the crash, it showed where we were flying over the lands to the west of our town, just over the river. But now the crystal is just grey, like a thick fog. I can't see anything through it."
Jim is lost. "Is 'djuus' juice, like what you get from fruits? The sugar-and-water part, I mean? And what's quarmaya? Brontoreedes? Is that like a brontosaurus or a brontothere?"
Nico giggles: "Djuus is, um, a kind of force? It pushes things. If you have a luciferescent orb, you can attach it to a bat tree with salamanders in it and they orb will glow with a soft light. And you can read or see anything in the room just like you would with a brace of candles or oil lamps."

"A quarmaya is a kind of motivator. They are made from clay and baked and when given the right dwimmery they are able to move. We will mount them into the framework of an airship and attach them to the crankshaft of the fans. When the quarmaya is activated, his arms will turn the shaft and the fan. The faster he goes, the faster our bird flies!"

"It is the same principle for the brontoreede --- only that is a large waggon that goes along the rails of the caravanway. Very large quarmaya are used there to turn the wheels and move the waggon train along. Some trains will have maybe a score of waggons in tow --- even a mighty oliphant can not draw so many waggons behind him!"

"You know of brontotheres? Great beasts of war. Our Great Queen keeps several herds of the great beasts in the cavalry. Most of them are at work down south away in the wars against the Warlords. They are quite majestic beasts, but terrible to face if you are a warrior or hunter!"
"Sounds like alchemy to me", said Jim. "Or maybe magic. You don't happen to have a chemia book with you, do you? Never heard of palesilver."
"All Enca's books are still at home. She has a book of chemia. You don't have palesilver? It is like silver, but very light. I saw a trader had a belt made of plates of the stuff. The whole belt couldn't have weighed more than a third a stoneweight. Very light, and all the little rings on it merrily jingling! I should have liked a belt of that stuff, but his price was surely too dear! I guess it must be very rare."
"Helium is an element we put into balloons. There's a whole lot of it in Earth's sun, as well as in other stars. It makes things float upward because it's so light. Oxygen? That's something we breathe. It's in the air! Hydrogen is in water. Every molecule of water has two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. Hydrogen is the lightest and most stable element there is. I remember learning in lyceum that hydrogen had one proton, which meant its 'atomic number' was one. Now they have elements like newtonium and landauvium, though, with over 120 protons packed into a single atom! And neon is this really cool element! It's a gas that people can put into tubes to make really bright, flashy signs. They put these signs on stores."
(Nico might actually like the reddy glow of a neon sign...) "I know that there is some kind of air that lifts up the great balloon airships. I have never heard of tomick numbers or protons, though. What's a tom?"
"A skin changer?", asks Jim. "That phrase makes my skin crawl. Is that like a shapeshifter? Where you can transform into other species?"
"Yep! I've heard that there are some kinds of Men who can do this very well. Some Daine can do this, too. It's no easy dwimmery to master!"
"Sounds like hang-gliding", says Jim. "We do it, except with machines instead of birds. And they don't have imps inside. Enca, Nico, would you mind if I went, um . . . bird-gliding with you two sometime?"
Nico laughed at the thought of Enca allowing the two of them to jump off the side of her airship and glide like a bird! "Sure! If we don't fall to our deaths, Enca will surely kill us for trying!"
"Oh, until the eleventies our leaders were mostly men", says Jim. "Now they have more women in office. But yeah, that sounds like boys and girls on Earth, though. The boys are better at understanding machines. Not I, though, I understand how guitars and microphones and amps work at that's about it. I don't play the video games that other boys enjoy. They just bore me. And here we have a sport called football that boys are more likely than girls to understand how to play. Football bores me too, and I don't even understand the rules." Jim laughs at Nico's description of stories. "Yeah, the girls like romance novels. In fact, my girlfriend Kate liked to go to romantic movies."
"I don't think a boy would ever be queen among Daine. We just aren't made for it! In Westmarche, the Great Queen is our leader, and she and her counsellors rule over the whole land. And the lesser Queens rule over their own queenholdings. But their authority doesn't extend to the lands between: the woodlands and waste places between holdings. Those are outlands. Along the borders of Westmarche especially, but also among the outlands, there are sheriffs that roam those places, watching for signs of invaders or pestilence or rampaging beasts. Most sheriffs are boys, and the captains of the sheriffs are always boys. When the Greatqueen sends an army out to fight off an invasion, the herzog that leads them is also always a boy."
"So that's what you're seeing!", said Jim. "Among humans, color vision has nothing to do with gender, except boys are more likely than girls to be color-blind. Color-blindness is when people can't tell red from green, or see everything in black, white and grey. It's only small minority of humans who are like that, though. I can see all the colors out of my right eye -- except ultraviolet and infrared. I need to put on special glasses to see ultraviolet light. Gea? Sometimes we call Earth 'Gaia'. Are you talking about my planet, by any chance?"
"What is a planet? It could be you are from a far country in Gea, but I think we would have had some tidings of such strange and wonderful places as Meriquunland and Yinglisland!"
Jim explains his own vision. "People with two eyes have a left and a right eye that combine to see things with depth, everything in front of you. Seeing in stereo, they say. Since I have only one eye, I can't see in stereo. I often miss the depth of a flight of stairs, for instance. One day I was at a concert in this big public building, right? And I have to climb down some stairs. I had been smoking marijuana, and I didn't see the depth with my one eye. So I just . . . fell down the stairs."
"Huy! That sounds dangerous! What if you were climbing on a high place! Would you not be able to see that you are far from the ground below?"

"And what is this marrywanna you keep talking about? You say you smoke it? Is it like pipeweed? We have smoking houses where folks go sometimes to take in the vapors of some kind of pipeweed or other. Some kinds are just pleasant aromas, other make us giddy."
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

((Are my characters really that boring to you all that you'll go for several rounds without waiting for me to get a post in? I don't even know how to begin breaking into that conversation now, or even if it's welcome. :c ))
"I'm glad you saw nothing big in there! So, it is salty water you use!? I've heard our healers speak of Tea of Sunrise Waters, which they say comes from the Sea." Her finger wanders up again to the space behind her fang: "I always thought that was strange. It makes no sense, right? Is not water the same everywhere? Of course, we've only heard of the Sea in the old tales, and perhaps the water in other lands is different from ours, but if spring water and river water are sweet, then surely it stands to reason that the seas they flow into must also be sweet and not salt!
"No, the sea is far too salty for this," Risatri says as Netza runs off. It shouldn't take him too long to come back. What bar wouldn't have salt and water? "It's that way because river water picks up salt and other stuff as it flows down to it, but then the salts have nowhere to go once they reach the ocean. So it just gets saltier and saltier as time goes by. If I were to use sea water, it would cause substantial irritation of the area just from the salt alone. Also, animals live and die in the ocean- the water there is filthy. My primary employer was a sailor once- he has plenty of tales about the sores and ulcers he and the others would get just from scraping barnacles at dock."
Enca is startled by the whack of the strap: "Is he very young for the strap to be so employed? It is true that boys often require more force of will, and sometimes of hand or wing, to correct them when they go all wayward! --- And I know my Nico has had his share of thumps and tugs on his ears! --- But your Netza does not seem to me to be a Manchild, in the way that Gem is."
"He's not that young, only nineteen," Risatri explains, between gaps in the chatter between Jim, Enca, Nico, and the beast-man over yonder. Such a vocal people- however do they manage to understand things without slowing down and taking them one at a time? It's not her place to judge how strange foreign folk talk, however, so she's not going to say anything about it. "He knows how he is supposed to act, in theory. But if he insists on not listening and being obnoxious then discipline is called for. Especially when he's off on a rant like that."
"You're right, they sound inhuman to me", says Jim. "You have any records of those old languages left? In America, we almost lost the Hawaiian language that way! Teachers in Hawaii would beat kids who were speaking Hawaiian instead of English in class. Sometimes it's boring having ancestors from England. That means I don't have my own ethnic language, instead of just the English language that almost all Americans can speak."
"They're as human as you and me- Netza's just being rude." The boy really never was one for subtlety. Risatri hoped to cure him of that before his training was finished. "They left us a few scraps spoken. Mostly names, but a few words stuck around in everyday use. There's some inscriptions still left, mostly on the old terraces, but hardly anyone can read them. There's a woman I know who's part of a group of linguists trying to revive the old languages based on those, but it's slow going and the funding was just pulled in favor of most recent emergency."
Jim covers his mouth with his hand. "Is -- is he your slave?", Jim asks Risatri. "And are you Muisin?"
Risatri gives Jim an annoyed look. "What? No, Netza literally just explained this. He's an indentured servant under a standard apprentice contract, not a slave. He works for me for five years and he comes out of it a doctor. And why do you think I'm Muisin? There's bad blood between us and them, there isn't a noble House in Naqil that would hire me if I was from there."