The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Angen
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by Angen »

A slender creature with shimmery purple skin, bright blue eyes and pointed ears walks into the room. Nervously, she twirls a strand of pink hair around her sixth finger and straightens her simple blue robe. With a sudden burst of confidence, she strides through the room and sits down at a table. "Hello. I am Althen, a Qruewuwth from the planet Kalea."
GamerGeek
sinic
sinic

Post by GamerGeek »

Now, an ordinary human comes in
Hi. My name's Xon. I'm Scaffan.
Angen
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Angen »

GamerGeek wrote:Now, an ordinary human comes in
Hi. My name's Xon. I'm Scaffan.
Hello, nice to meet you. What a strange name Xon is. And what is a Scaffan?
GamerGeek
sinic
sinic

Post by GamerGeek »

Angen wrote:Hello, nice to meet you. What a strange name Xon is. And what is a Scaffan?
Why, we are the kinder of the great scientist Skaffa/Scaffa!
Remember: this is my fictional character speaking; not me [:)]
Last edited by GamerGeek on 31 May 2017 00:20, edited 2 times in total.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Jácove points to the two newcomers. Argenzu grabs his camera and quickly makes some shaky footage while drinking some apple juice.
Somehow, he kicks his Earnowe cloak towards the person with the blue cloak.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
GamerGeek
sinic
sinic

Post by GamerGeek »

Egerius wrote:Jácove points to the two newcomers. Argenzu grabs his camera and quickly makes some shaky footage while drinking some apple juice.
What do you happen to be doing with that... box?
Last edited by GamerGeek on 31 May 2017 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
Angen
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Angen »

GamerGeek wrote:Why, we are the kinder of the great scientist Skaffa/Scaffa!
Ah, I see. We have scientists here too, but most of them are Proulk, not Qruewuwth like me.
Egerius wrote:Jácove points to the two newcomers. Argenzu grabs his camera and quickly makes some shaky footage while drinking some apple juice.
Hello. What is that device you have? It looks like a Transmitter. And what is that strange liquid you are drinking?
GamerGeek
sinic
sinic

Post by GamerGeek »

Angen wrote:And what is that strange liquid you are drinking?
It appears to be the juice of an apple's fruit. But here, it could be anything.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

GamerGeek wrote:
What do you happen to be doing with that... box? your camera?
Not mine, his.
Jácove points at Argenzu with his hand. “I'm Jácove, nice to meet you.”
Argenzu quickly grabs his cloak, which is blue inside: “Oh, I am so sorry, an awkward itch made me kick. My name is Argenzu.”
Angen wrote:Hello. What is that device you have? It looks like a Transmitter. And what is that strange liquid you are drinking?
“Jácove is holding my digital camera”, Argenzu says while taking another sip from his bottle, “and I'm indeed drinking apple juice.”
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova »

The door opens, and a cloaked figure swiftly enters and sits at the nearest available table, silently nodding at all the faces that looked up to greet them. Upon sitting down, the figure removes their cloak, revealing the pale face of a young woman, made paler by the frost that accumulated in her black eyebrows. She feels her chapped lips with her fingers, and with her wrist, gently rubs her nose so as to ensure it did not go numb while travelling in the unforgiving coldness of the Ces'em mountains.

From a purse hanging near her hip, she grabs a small flask, which she uncorks a takes a loud gulp from. The high alcohol content of the drink causes her to cough and clear her throat, before putting back the container in its pocket and looking up at the visitors of the inn, nearly empty at that time of the day.
"Excuse me" she shyly begins, "I was headed to an inn , which I was told, is definitely worth the visit. Did I, by any chance, step into the right door?"
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Evynova wrote:The door opens, and a cloaked figure swiftly enters and sits at the nearest available table, silently nodding at all the faces that looked up to greet them. Upon sitting down, the figure removes their cloak, revealing the pale face of a young woman, made paler by the frost that accumulated in her black eyebrows. She feels her chapped lips with her fingers, and with her wrist, gently rubs her nose so as to ensure it did not go numb while travelling in the unforgiving coldness of the Ces'em mountains.

From a purse hanging near her hip, she grabs a small flask, which she uncorks a takes a loud gulp from. The high alcohol content of the drink causes her to cough and clear her throat, before putting back the container in its pocket and looking up at the visitors of the inn, nearly empty at that time of the day.
"Excuse me" she shyly begins, "I was headed to an inn , which I was told, is definitely worth the visit. Did I, by any chance, step into the right door?"
A figure leans slightly forward from the gloom of one of the darkened alcoves. It is hooded and heavily cloaked in grey and dull brown; neither hands nor feet are visible, and only the pale glint of reflected eyes peers from the mass of hat and hood it wears over its head and face. A gravelly voice replies to the newcomer. "Child, that depends on what you're looking for!"

Though rough, the voice is not unkindly. It's the voice of one who has sought for too many places worth the visit and has often come away having seen too much.

As the pale girl coughs on her drink, the figure chuckles and speaks again:
"You might try asking for a better drink from the Man behind the counter. I'm sure they have something here that won't choke you!"

Something hidden under the massive oaken table shifts its position and sighs comfortably.
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova »

She acquiesces, greeting the figure with a nod. "Nirh" she utters, with a voice still raspy from the coughing, "my name is Nirh." She stands up and silently walks up the barkeeper. Her flask, where half of an opaque, dark brown liquid is missing, bams on the hard wood of the counter. "I suppose you do not know much about K'anerhtónian drinks, but do you have something that would at least help keep me warm?"

She walks away, flask in one hand, bottle in the other. To her great surprise, the barkeeper did in fact have what she was looking for: K'anerhtónian alcohol, a mixture of fruits and cereals, fermented for a few months, characterised by a strong taste (and a lingering after-taste), and a high alcohol content. Though the liquid in the bottle followed a similar recipe to that of the flask, the former looked clearer, healthier, almost as an invitation to be opened and drunk, one savoury sip at a time.

Nirh approaches the cloaked figure, opens the bottle and pours the brownish liquid into two small wooden cups, one of which she hands to the man.

"Where I come from, travellers don't go anywhere without a flask of this" she says, sending a brief look towards the bottle so as to point it. "It is a big part of our culture. But we only drink in specific occasions. When we find shelter from the cold, when family comes over, when someone marries." She sits at the table. "Or, we may offer it as a gift."
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Evynova wrote:She acquiesces, greeting the figure with a nod. "Nirh" she utters, with a voice still raspy from the coughing, "my name is Nirh." She stands up and silently walks up the barkeeper. Her flask, where half of an opaque, dark brown liquid is missing, bams on the hard wood of the counter. "I suppose you do not know much about K'anerhtónian drinks, but do you have something that would at least help keep me warm?"

She walks away, flask in one hand, bottle in the other. To her great surprise, the barkeeper did in fact have what she was looking for: K'anerhtónian alcohol, a mixture of fruits and cereals, fermented for a few months, characterised by a strong taste (and a lingering after-taste), and a high alcohol content. Though the liquid in the bottle followed a similar recipe to that of the flask, the former looked clearer, healthier, almost as an invitation to be opened and drunk, one savoury sip at a time.

Nirh approaches the cloaked figure, opens the bottle and pours the brownish liquid into two small wooden cups, one of which she hands to the man.

"Where I come from, travellers don't go anywhere without a flask of this" she says, sending a brief look towards the bottle so as to point it. "It is a big part of our culture. But we only drink in specific occasions. When we find shelter from the cold, when family comes over, when someone marries." She sits at the table. "Or, we may offer it as a gift."
The hooded head inclines a little, allowing for a quick glance at the pale reflexions of the person's eyes. It removes the well worn & creased gloves from its hands, the entirely businesslike bronze studs clank sharply on the oaken table. The hands and forearms revealed are slim but obviously strong. The skin is a pale gray but calloused; the nails are bitten short and tinted variously with purple and red berry juice. Odd scars line and dot either arm, particularly two fairly recent circular ones on the right arm. The left had reaches out towards one of the wooden cups while the right pulls the dull coloured scarf away from the mouth a little. Not quite enough to get a look at the face!

*sniffsniff!*

The figure tips back the cup and swallows.

"Aowchh! That is nasty!"

The empty cup clacks back down on the table while the figure turns its attention to a stained leather satchel on the bench beside it. Various articles clank and clack together, until at last something is drawn from the shadowy depths.

"Here try this!"

The pale hand has a strangely shapen pottery bottle in it, some kind of grotesque face is carved onto the side along with curious runes and raised dots. When the bottle is shaken, the liquid within sounds thick & heavy.

"To be sure, this is every bit as horrid as yours!"

A dark, sludgy black fluid glugs from the bottle. Nirh can't be certain, but it's entirely possible something is still living in the primordial ooze.

"We call it xharquš. Good medicine! Don't mind the bits."

The grey hand pushes the little cup back towards Nirh, the movement of which barely disturbs the inky surface of the drink.

The figure's husky voice is belied by a certain gracefulness of movement.

"Rashan. That's me! Are you a Man? You don't have wings..."
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova »

"Nasty?!" Nirh says to herself in a whisper, offended by the stranger's reaction, but not really surprised. After all, even the K'anerhtóh sometimes struggle to find pleasure in consuming some of the foods and drinks that they make. Yet, despite knowing from experience foreign foods always seem alien and inaccessible, and that most tastes, even the finest, are acquired, she cannot help but to feel personally attacked by the sudden and violent reaction of her new acquaintance to a drink that, back in her homeland, usually celebrates positive events. Nevertheless, she quickly composes herself and makes sure not to let her surprise appear, so as not to offend the man herself.

Rashan. That was his name. She repeats it out loud, several times, slowly, and then progressively faster.
"Raaashaan. Rashan." She nods. "Thank you, Rashan" she says, as her small hand grabs onto the cup. She stares into the dark, slimey substance, which hardly moves as she shakes the recipient.

She looks back at him.
"If I am a Man? I assume you mean 'human'; then yes. And you are...?" As she observes Rashan, she notices the markings on his arms and wonders what else lies hidden beneath the shield of clothes that he wears. After pushing the small cup to the side of the table, she takes out a roll of parchment and a bottle of a dark red ink, in which she dips a worn-out, dull-looking quill. She quickly writes what seems to be a list, next to a drawing of what Rashan notices to be a sketch of him. He can however not make out the alphabet; and even if he could, he does not speak the language in which his description is written. Without a word, she rolls back the parchment and shoves all of her equipment in her pouch.

Nirh places the cup in front of her again, and sighs deeply. She has a long moment of hesitation, but acknowledging that refusing a present is impolite, and desirous to make a good impression on her acquaintance, she finally convinces herself to drink despite a reluctancy that she tries to conceal as best she can; but her disgust becomes apparent as she swallows the liquid in one quick gulp, bottoms up. She cringes, and gags, and shivers while she struggles to keep the nausea-inducing substance in her stomach. "Kínárówhe mer k'ac? What on earth is that? You will not convince me that people casually drink this stuff!"
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Evynova wrote:"Nasty?!" Nirh says to herself in a whisper, offended by the stranger's reaction, but not really surprised. After all, even the K'anerhtóh sometimes struggle to find pleasure in consuming some of the foods and drinks that they make. Yet, despite knowing from experience foreign foods always seem alien and inaccessible, and that most tastes, even the finest, are acquired, she cannot help but to feel personally attacked by the sudden and violent reaction of her new acquaintance to a drink that, back in her homeland, usually celebrates positive events. Nevertheless, she quickly composes herself and makes sure not to let her surprise appear, so as not to offend the man herself.

Rashan. That was his name. She repeats it out loud, several times, slowly, and then progressively faster.
"Raaashaan. Rashan." She nods. "Thank you, Rashan" she says, as her small hand grabs onto the cup. She stares into the dark, slimey substance, which hardly moves as she shakes the recipient.
The wrappings around the face move slightly --- perhaps the figure is smiling?
She looks back at him. "If I am a Man? I assume you mean 'human'; then yes. And you are...?" As she observes Rashan, she notices the markings on his arms and wonders what else lies hidden beneath the shield of clothes that he wears. After pushing the small cup to the side of the table, she takes out a roll of parchment and a bottle of a dark red ink, in which she dips a worn-out, dull-looking quill. She quickly writes what seems to be a list, next to a drawing of what Rashan notices to be a sketch of him. He can however not make out the alphabet; and even if he could, he does not speak the language in which his description is written. Without a word, she rolls back the parchment and shoves all of her equipment in her pouch.
"Coal-dwimmery. Da used to regale us kids with his stories about this place. Only he said the folk here were great rat-folk. Always making coal-dwimmery pictures on bits of hide or bark.

"I honestly never thought I'd end up in this place!"

The figure sits silently for a moment, considering perhaps whether or not to trust this Nirh. "Yumanz are not generally to be trusted: that everyone knows!" Rahsan begins. "But I think perhaps you may be different. This place, I think, brings people who may be trusted.

"So! I will trust you. I am ... not really the child of Ma and Da. I'm a foundling. A mutt is what I am. A little bit of everything, they say. Heh! And not a few folks have said I got the worst of all of them!"

The figure began to shift about, wriggling out of the heavy layers of cloaks. The muffled voice, its harshness slightly softened, rose from the depths of the decorated cloth: "Just turn away if you think I'm that ugly. It's alright! I don't mind, really: everyone does."

"I'm a hunter of Yarrows & goblins and Elves and any other kind of ruffian or scallywag as needs shifting or knifing. See: I came of age maybe last year? Been wandering about the lands since. No one to bother me that way, except when they need my help." Rashan shows Nirh the fang-sun pendant which marks those who have hunted alone and are now of age: it's a decorated leather and wood rondel with fangs of several beasts set into it like the rays of the sun. The necklaces of teeth rattle and clack as Rashan moves. "Heh! I'm pretty good at what I do! See! Yarrow fangs, Elf incisors, Werepig tusks. Mannish teeth, too!"

Rashan is a tall, skinny, light grey skinned person. Age is indeterminate, but probably not very old. The dark red hair at either side of the head is shorn very short, leaving only a shaggy & thick strip along the middle of the head long. The longer red hair is accompanied by much longer black hair-like feathers that Rashan can fan out, seemingly unconsciously. The ears are long and pointed and quite mismatched. The face is long and narrow, having a snout somewhere between that of a wolf and a baboon; tiny braids of long wiry black hair dangle from the space in front of the ears. The slightly upturned nose sports a gold ring on the left side; both ears have an assortment of tiny gold and silver rings as well. Rashan's smile is crooked and full of large fangs, not unlike those dangling from the necklaces! The teeth are generally crooked and they clack a good deal when Rashan talks. Thick black eyebrows reside above the unevenly slanted eyes, one dark brown, the other dark blue. The whole effect gives Rashan the look of one whose head is constantly listing to port, even when, in fact, the head is being held straight, or even tilted the other way. On a different body & face, the freckles and patches of paler skin might be considered fetching.

The long face is complimented by a long neck the nape of which sports a thick mane of tangled hair; long & thin torso as well as long, thin arms. The sides of the forearms have short bristles of stiff, dark red hair. Silver bangles adorn the upper arms. Behind all & now revealed by the cast off cloaks, a pair of large wings. Most of the feathers are the horrible shade of dull black one might find on a great carrion bird. The monotony is broken only be a few scant splashes of blood red feathers.

The shoulders are uneven; chest, arms and shoulders show evidence of bony prominences gotten from healed fractures. Scars and miscellaneous bumps are in evidence all over: some are obviously the price of a life fighting powerful enemies; others are clearly intentionally made fractures and scars. Some bad folks have really strange senses of what constitutes fun!

Rashan shrugged, lifting wings as well as arms:
"See? Told you! Ma always said I was her beautiful daughter, but, well, what's a mother supposed to say to her strange foundling?"

Rashan laughs again: she never willingly showed anyone her face since leaving home. Not anyone she wasn't about to fight or hunt down, anyway!
Nirh places the cup in front of her again, and sighs deeply. She has a long moment of hesitation, but acknowledging that refusing a present is impolite, and desirous to make a good impression on her acquaintance, she finally convinces herself to drink despite a reluctancy that she tries to conceal as best she can; but her disgust becomes apparent as she swallows the liquid in one quick gulp, bottoms up. She cringes, and gags, and shivers while she struggles to keep the nausea-inducing substance in her stomach. "Kínárówhe mer k'ac? What on earth is that? You will not convince me that people casually drink this stuff!"
"Hah! Told you it was nasty! Anyway, I hardly ever drink the stuff, it's just that horrible. It's better slathered on fresh cuts and aching bones, don't ya know! Here, friend, you keep that bottle. I've got another anyway."

Rashan turns back to the leather sack on the bench, rummaging around inside. Something yawns under the table and shifts about. At last a sheaf of tatty bark paper and some "coals" --- thin sticks of a charcoal like substance cased in twine-bound wood --- are dropped unceremoniously on the table. She shuffles through the sheaf, scattering random (but passable) drawings of beasts and leaves and birds and people to the side. She smoothes out a piece of paper, takes up a crayon in her left hand, twining her fingers about it rather oddly, cocks her head to get a good look at Nirh. Then, tongue sticking out with utmost concentration, begins to draw her companion.

"Whew! I don't know how to make word-pictures like you do, but..." she adds a kind of symbol at the top of the paper "...there, to me, that means Nirh."

Satisfied with the effort, Rashan turns the paper to show Nirh, then leans back, absently scratches her head. She draws her long lanky legs up from under the table and rests her chin on one knee. The long garment wrapped around her waist is almost a brocade, very heavily embroidered with vines and leaves and hunting scenes and fruits of many kinds.
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

An elven man with surprisingly long hair for his species- almost down to his shoulders- opens the door, takes one look inside, and starts swearing.

“Of course there would be another place like this,” he grumbles, glancing around at some of the more unusual patrons of the Inn. “The other bar wasn’t weird enough?” He makes his way to the bar, ears flicking and tail swishing in slight agitation, and sits down. “I’ll have a coffee. Spiced,” he orders. Better not have alcohol here- it tended to make him even less diplomatic than he usually was, and he didn’t recognize any of these people. Best not to start an incident with another nation, especially not one he wasn’t sure the strength of.
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

((Wow, rough crowd.))
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote: 07 Mar 2019 20:11 ((Wow, rough crowd.))
((I thought the place was shut down!))
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

elemtilas wrote: 08 Mar 2019 00:56 ((I thought the place was shut down!))
((I haven’t heard anything like that. I mean yeah, it had been dormant for quite a while, but I figured that was just people losing steam for their thread of conversation

ETA: Or, in my case, having Life Stuff happen. Sorry about losing our convo))
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote: 08 Mar 2019 01:50
elemtilas wrote: 08 Mar 2019 00:56 ((I thought the place was shut down!))
((I haven’t heard anything like that. I mean yeah, it had been dormant for quite a while, but I figured that was just people losing steam for their thread of conversation

ETA: Or, in my case, having Life Stuff happen. Sorry about losing our convo))
((Yeah, dormant. No worries about losing the thread (the one with Risatri and Enca & Nico). I was actually quite enjoying it, truth be told! ))