Anybody remember Bluestar?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Avis Noctis
rupestrian
rupestrian

Anybody remember Bluestar?

Post by Avis Noctis »

The cosmic ocean orbiting a blue star? What happened with that? Where's the wiki?
We should bring it back to life because I think the creator forgot about it...
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness"
-Aristotle
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Anybody remember Bluestar?

Post by Micamo »

You mean this?

It's alright I guess. Just grab the ideas you like, put an interesting spin on them, and poach them.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Veris
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Veris »

What's that, a year later? Wow, coincidentally I log onto this board almost exactly a year after this topic and stumble across it.

So yeah, I'm the Bluestar guy. First off, it's awesome and cool that you remembered and liked my conworld. Second, please do not add anything I've posted on these boards to any wiki, or anything or anywhere else. My conworlds are not open-source. Obviously, concepts and ideas aren't copyrightable (though wholesale stealing them would be intellectually and creatively dishonest and dull), but all the proper names I came up with are. Which brings me to...

Third, I haven't forgotten about it -- in fact, I'm writing a fantasy series set in that world, just like I always planned to! I'm actually in preliminary talks for a deal. Which means JUST slightly more than diddly squat, with how the publishing world works, but still. Exciting.

I actually logged on to PM the mods and ask them to scrub that topic from the face of the internet. My agent is worried about potential copyright problems and is having me delete my copyrighted stuff from any websites I don't personally own. I dunno, though. You own the copyright to the stuff you create by virtue of having created it, so I don't think it's exactly necessary.

Honestly, my only concern is that when I posted on these boards seven years ago I was a 19 year old college know-it-all douchebag and made an ass of myself on several occassions. I literally said I was a "game design genius" before I had ever designed or made a single video game. Yeesh.

Announcement for anyone and everyone reading this who might possibly know who I am, either now or in the possib-future where I've successfully published one or more Bluestar books: I am appropriately ashamed of my college kid douchebaggery, and renounce every arrogant or jerky thing I said on these boards. And apologies to anyone I attacked or annoyed. God, my posting history is embarassing -_-
á (0225); í (0237); ú (0250); é (0233); ó (0243)
Á (0193); Í (0205); Ú (0218); É (0201); Ó (0211)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Veris wrote:I actually logged on to PM the mods and ask them to scrub that topic from the face of the internet. My agent is worried about potential copyright problems and is having me delete my copyrighted stuff from any websites I don't personally own. I dunno, though. You own the copyright to the stuff you create by virtue of having created it, so I don't think it's exactly necessary.
I think it might have been Sal who had something to say about this, but I think it was in relation to another user. IIRC, he suggested that it's down to the publishing company as to how they react to online material relating to your work prior to them publishing. For example, some publishing companies might refuse to publish entirely on the basis of prior online source material while others will only refuse to publish if you upload excerpts of the final work (or drafts that are as close as) to the internet.

And since it's online, if you're putting stuff up online under an alias (in this case, a username that isn't your name), then it might be expected that publishing companies would wish to see evidence, regardless, that that is in fact you posting that stuff online and not someone else (since they might be potentially be sued for aiding in the distribution of "stolen" materials).
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Trewdub
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Trewdub »

@Veris

Wow, how cool! I'm also creating a world that somewhat breaks the conventions of worldbuilding (which seemed to be one of your points?), the reason I got back on this forum (I haven't used my other account in ages, so I forgot the password). If you're not able to, please don't, but could you give us a rough idea of when your book is set to release?

It's good to know you're still alive, btw [xD]