The CBB Conworld & Conculture Census

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

The CBB Conworld & Conculture Census

Post by elemtilas »

And in those days when Caesar was king at Reme, all the world was called to be accounted...

What's this all about:
Spoiler:
What:
This is the CBB Conculture Census, an enumeration and assessment of the invented cultures of the residents of the CBB. In structure, it parallels the CBB Conlang Census, but is designed to list our invented cultures and worlds!

Why:
A need for a listing or index of worldbuilders and the cultures they have made was expressed, and this resource hopes to fill that need by providing relevant information.

Who:
The Census is limited to works by the membership of the CBB, former or current.

Details:
The information given includes the name of the geopoet followed by succinct information about the world & cultures within it, including but not neccessarily limited to the setting’s name(s) and a short description of it, including its basic type, date of inception, relevant vital data. Lastly, links to relevant on or off line descriptions, web pages, stories, maps, images and the like are given. Links to CBB culture threads are certainly appropriate, as are links to Frath Wiki pages, links to outside / private websites, links to Amazon (et al), so we can buy a copy of your novel or book of short stories!

Individual entry listings are made for our major works, which are “presentable” worlds or cultures – those that are fairly well worked out. There is certainly no “upper limit” as regards a culture being worked out; but certainly a page or two of interesting information should suffice as a “lower limit” for a Census entry.

Most of us, however, have also got notebooks (real or metaphorical) full of notes & ideas for invented cultures: sketches, scraps, crazy ideas and artifacts. At your option, you may also choose to PM the Census Taker with a simple list of all your minor works and works in progress without any kind of description or links (unless all your scratch & scraplangs can be accessed via a single location).

How:
To include your cultures in the Census, simply send all relevant information to the Census Taker via PM. The Census Taker will make every effort to spell everything correctly and to format properly. It is the responsibility of the submitter to provide accurate information and to alert the Census Taker of changes that ought to be made later.

The Census Taker appreciates most of all citizens who make their applications correctly formatted and in septuplicate, written in chancery cuneiform upon imperial bureaucracy standard pott sized tablets. Thank you! All others will be subject to the Hazard of the Fourteen Squirrels (Crimes Against Bureaucracy Act (1866, amm. 1912))

Ahzoh
alynnidalar
  • Unnamed Dalar Conworld - an urban fantasy world; the central conceit is that it's modern day Earth, but with a humanoid-but-not-human species called the dalar living secretly alongside we humans. The dalar can manipulate a force called amati that allows them to do supernatural-appearing things. Most of the things I've written in this world actually fall in the spy thriller genre, and focus on a small group of dalar and humans "in the know" who work for the American government. My oldest conworld, dating all the way back to 2004.
    • CBB thread
    • Wiki (without much information as yet; most of my notes are kept privately in Google Drive)
  • Pocketworld - a traditional fantasy world with a big twist: the world is made up of small "chunks" or "pockets" of land separated by magical barriers. These chunks of land (which can vary from only a couple acres to dozens of miles) don't necessarily bear any resemblance to each other--a piece of high snowy peaks can sit next door to a chunk of arid desert. The world is a patchwork of these pieces, and it's had a major impact on culture and politics. There are four intelligent species: humans, iskene (tall blue spider-y people), hrata (very short hairy people), and wyverns (bipedal flying lizard people).
    • haven't done anything with this for awhile, so nothing much online. Again I have a lot of private notes in Google Drive that I may make public someday.
  • Tempestes - an unspecified time in the fuuuuture~, humanity colonized a water-covered planet called Tempestes. Then all contact with Earth was cut off because ???. A hundred years later, thousands of people are still living on the planet, living on huge city-ships, underwater domes, and fleets of submarines. The obvious genesis for a story here is to write about regaining contact with Earth, so I wrote a murder mystery instead.
    • like above, nothing substantial online

Andlat
Ànradh
an-tan
aquatiki
Axiem
  • Mto - In the beginning, were Ki and Pe, who had twelve children, engaged in temporary rivalries while also bound in love for one another. And then, one of them cheated...

BrawnerWilliam
  • Loros - The Land of a Thousand Nations

Chagen
Click
cntrational
Cockroach
  • Sorota - a Poloesque travelogue into an otherworld

Colonel Cathcart
conlangconstructor
cordoma
cybrxkhan
decem
  • Gaskarel - An Afternoon in Kacännussess

DesEsseintes
drunragarsh
Egerius
eldin_raigmore
  • Adiphi

elemtilas
  • The World: ca. 1985. An alternate reality and a faerie and something of an alternate history. I focus on the histories and cultures that take place on a planet called Gea, though there are several other planets in the system where kindreds of Daine and Teor live, while this star system exists within a universe knows as All That Is. "The World" therefore refers broadly to the whole faerie; but for all practical purposes, to events on Gea itself. It has some things in common with Tolkien's vision of Middle Earth, and while Tolkien has had his influence, the World has largely gone its own merry way. One friend, Ben, summed the World up this way: simply take the earth and make it a bit more delightful.
  • Tapeworld: 2016. A kind of moebian world of alternating stickiness and wanstickiness, a world twilit at best, a land of monsters & baleful folk inhabiting the Sticky Matrix. There is no escape from Nether-Nether Land via the Gates of the Teeth - the only Way Out is to travel down to the Core and back again.
  • Tubeworld: 2014. A bespoke world designed for a discerning and eccentric clientele.

The HMS Moort easily slid into a long spiral orbit around the curious and massive black tube. Seen briefly from the end on approach, Captain Aster could easily see the green-blue-brown of a world inside the tube. She knew that if it weren’t for the bright light of the false star illuminating the inner world, she’d be able to see stars in the distant opening of the tube, some fifty thousand miles away.

Investigations Officer Dale broke the silence: “What do you make of it, Cap?”

“I don’t know, Dale. Perhaps it's one of those crazy nine sided tube-worlds. You know, like the ones constructed by Mssrs Wonth & Lereyet of Bespoke Worlds. Bloody wonky things, mind, and each one inhabited by a load of loony-toons. Well, each one that hasn’t shredded itself yet!”...
  • Planet 14: 2013. A world of extremes: vast in size, minute in population.

There is the rather well known (well, rather well known to the exoanthropologists of the Bureau of Everythingness of the Ninth Ssthasat Star Empire anyway, in what we call MACS0647-JD) case of Planet 14 whizzing around star # 483agg91/f/rimwise. Their geologists say that the planet, indeed rather larger than Earth, has 423 tectonic plates (not all of them huge, mind) and 266 large land masses (continents) thereon. Now, what's strange about the place is there are only 166 sophonts inhabiting the planet, which the inhabitants aver is "stiflingly overcrowded"...

Firebird766
Foolster41
gach
  • Tenni - Myths and Beliefs

gestaltist
Glossaphile
gratbuddha
HoskhMatriarch
hubris_incalculable
Ilaeriu
  • Alyrica - On the Measurement of Time and Other Topics

Iparxi_Zoi
Itsuki Kohaku
Kei
k1234567890y
linguifex
loftyD
mbrsart
micamo
MIGUELbM
Mind
nmn
Omzinesý
Ossicone
paa pəpaa
Pe King
Pirka
prettydragoon
rajavlitra
ralph
Relic
Salmoneus
sangi39
Serena
Sew'Kyetuh
Shanhoia
Shemtov
silvercat
Sḿtuval
Solarius
Thaen
Thakowsaizmu
the-golem
ThisIsNotAUsername
  • Livizeh - Life on the planet of eternal day

Tralsend
vampireshark
vo1dwalk3r
WeepingElf
xijlwya
Xing
Yačay256
Yiuel
Zirojtan
Last edited by elemtilas on 30 May 2018 19:24, edited 14 times in total.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The CBB Conworld & Conculture Census

Post by Ahzoh »

Can't forget Vrkhazhian culture among others on the planet of Sed.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

alynnidalar
  • Unnamed dalar conworld - an urban fantasy world; the central conceit is that it's modern day Earth, but with a humanoid-but-not-human species called the dalar living secretly alongside we humans. The dalar can manipulate a force called amati that allows them to do supernatural-appearing things. Most of the things I've written in this world actually fall in the spy thriller genre, and focus on a small group of dalar and humans "in the know" who work for the American government. My oldest conworld, dating all the way back to 2004.
    • CBB thread
    • Wiki (without much information as yet; most of my notes are kept privately in Google Drive)
  • Pocketworld - a traditional fantasy world with a big twist: the world is made up of small "chunks" or "pockets" of land separated by magical barriers. These chunks of land (which can vary from only a couple acres to dozens of miles) don't necessarily bear any resemblance to each other--a piece of high snowy peaks can sit next door to a chunk of arid desert. The world is a patchwork of these pieces, and it's had a major impact on culture and politics. There are four intelligent species: humans, iskene (tall blue spider-y people), hrata (very short hairy people), and wyverns (bipedal flying lizard people).
    • haven't done anything with this for awhile, so nothing much online. Again I have a lot of private notes in Google Drive that I may make public someday.
  • Tempestes - an unspecified time in the fuuuuture~, humanity colonized a water-covered planet called Tempestes. Then all contact with Earth was cut off because ???. A hundred years later, thousands of people are still living on the planet, living on huge city-ships, underwater domes, and fleets of submarines. The obvious genesis for a story here is to write about regaining contact with Earth, so I wrote a murder mystery instead.
    • like above, nothing substantial online
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

I've combed the Archives all the back to the beginning of time and added descriptions of worlds and cultures that I thought were relatively substantive (for some definition of "substantive" anyway!)

For anyone who is newer here at CBB than about three to four years, I'd really urge you to take a look at some of the worlds dreamed up by folks who are no longer active here. Even some stuff by folks still active here, but for one reason or another don't seem to be worked on actively anymore or mentioned much. There's some really top rate stuff down there in the deep dark basements of this Forum!