Maliter - Infodump and AMA

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: Maliter - Infodump and AMA

Post by gestaltist »

Firebird766 wrote:How unusual is the lack of islands? And could any new islands go anywhere, or is there a place where they're more likely to end up?
Look at any coastal map and you'll see it's quite unusual.
Sevly
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Sevly »

Chiming in to say that this is a supercool world and magic system. More more more!
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

Onaq

Onaq is that continent south of Aspe, the one split in half by the mountain range known as the Qellas mountains. It's decently hot, mostly wet on the west side and mostly dry on the east side, and supports a wide variety of plants and animals which I have mostly stolen from South America.

Notable geographic and magical bits are the following:
The Qellas mountains - they're tall, they're extensive, and they have two major passes. The passes will be given names at some point. The northern pass is just south of the border between Palthes and Kyskin, and is considered to be the harder of the two to traverse. The southern pass is in the southmost eighth of the mountains and is the easier of the two to traverse. Both have been heavily altered- roads added, terraces built, watchtowers cut into the mountains. Naqil has a major city on the western side of the both passes, though the southern one is larger and wealthier.

The Rip - Located in southwest Muisa, this is a hole in the world formed long ago as a result of a vast magical battle, and subsequently kept open by the sheer amount of magic present in Maliter. This particular hole leads to the world that the meat farmers came from, and surrounding it is the largest known community of theirs in Maliter.

The Tear - Another hole in the world, this one much more recently formed and sitting in a disputed region claimed by both Muisa and Naqil, though currently in Naqil's hands. On the other side is a world much like our own except with Weird Magitech Stuff. This other world has been trying to introduce modern mores and generally useful things like germ theory, but Naqil is notoriously xenophobic so it isn't working well.

More to come as I think of them.

Onaq contains several countries which actually have stuff decided about them, imagine that. Plus some who don't, including those whose existence is more or less a blob on a map labeled "someone probably lives here."

Kyskin is a country with a significant lack-of-rain problem thanks to being right in the rain shadow of the Qellas mountains, and in more recent times a much more significant lack-of-food problem thanks to a particularly virulent strain of maize blight. It will be getting its own writeup.

Naqil is the country I've developed the most. It runs mostly along the Qellas mountains, with some lowlands areas sticking out into land more traditionally claimed by Muisa, Kyskin, and the unnamed country-possibly-countries to the south of Muisa. It will be getting its own writeup.

Nitch is a peninsula attached to the northern tip of Naqil. It's covered in crocodiles. It will also be getting its own writeup, albeit a puny one since I haven't developed it as much as Naqil and Kyskin.

Palthes lies north of Kyskin and is more or less mentioned once total in any of my stories, as a former destination of escaped slaves trying to get out of Naqil, before the authorities caught on and came down on the freedom trail like the wrath of an angry god. It does not get its own writeup because I just don't have enough on them to justify one.

Muisa is Naqil's western neighbor and hated enemy, mostly because a few hundred years back Muisa conquered the shit out of the loose alliance of tribes that would later become Naqil. It may or may not be getting its own writeup. For now, just know that it's abolitionist, has some serious bad blood going on with Naqil, and has been countering Naqil's war magic using a specialized breed of dog called a magehound, that has the ability to interfere with spells in a given area.