Mto

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Re: Mto

Post by Axiem »

Keenir wrote: 17 Apr 2018 04:58 wouldn't the put-upon wife make an offering to a deity who could either stop her husband's actions (one way or another) or get her somewhere better? (yes, i know, some people want to stay in such relationships, thinking its the only love they'd get/deserve/etc, so a snap or clap might suffice)
If there's actually an abusive element, then that's something different. I'm talking about the sorts of things that happen in the normal ebb and flow of a relationship.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Keenir wrote: 17 Apr 2018 04:59 *shrugs* some people (like me) would make such warding offerings just to be on the safe side...no matter what she or her priests say.
What if it had the opposite effect, and actually made you more of a target for mischief? :D

I don't, in general, see her as particularly malicious, though. Trolling, perhaps, or the occasional come-uppance. But actively mean? Nah, that's not her style.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Axiem wrote: 17 Apr 2018 05:04
Keenir wrote: 17 Apr 2018 04:59 *shrugs* some people (like me) would make such warding offerings just to be on the safe side...no matter what she or her priests say.
What if it had the opposite effect, and actually made you more of a target for mischief? :D

I don't, in general, see her as particularly malicious, though.
but thats what you just described. (if i ask someone to stop throwing paper airplanes at me, and they keep throwing paper airplanes at me...that may be humorous to Her and to others standing around me (were they making the offerings to get me targetted? i'd be wondering)...but not to me.

heck, I'd start making inquiries into who in the Pantheon could either reign her in or oppose her.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Keenir wrote: 17 Apr 2018 07:25 that may be humorous to Her
Based on the context given, that scenario isn't one that she'd find funny, so the point is moot.

Clearly, I need to re-tool how I describe her, along with how I discuss how the deities interact with people, etc.

It's on my list, though right now I'm much more concerned with calendar-building, because that's the point that's much more immediately pressing to figure out for the story I'm more or less writing at the moment.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Axiem wrote: 17 Apr 2018 15:27
Keenir wrote: 17 Apr 2018 07:25 that may be humorous to Her
Based on the context given, that scenario isn't one that she'd find funny, so the point is moot.

Clearly, I need to re-tool how I describe her, along with how I discuss how the deities interact with people, etc.
I suppose my point was that, even if the goddess of joking came down and said "don't worry, I'm not going to play a joke on you"...how do I know she's not joking when she says that? (and by extension, the same principle for any other god?)
It's on my list, though right now I'm much more concerned with calendar-building, because that's the point that's much more immediately pressing to figure out for the story I'm more or less writing at the moment.
i wish you all the best.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Keenir wrote: 19 Apr 2018 05:14 I suppose my point was that, even if the goddess of joking came down and said "don't worry, I'm not going to play a joke on you"...how do I know she's not joking when she says that? (and by extension, the same principle for any other god?)
That's part of what I need to re-tool and hammer out and explain better ;)

That is, one of the things I've been contemplating is like, okay, Anadiel is pretty tightly tied to Entleis and is involved in statecraft at a high level. Let's say Entleis goes to war with someone; her followers are going to be like "hey Anadiel, can you please strike the leader of our enemies dead? Here's looooooots of offerings!" And in regards to what the deities are capable of, killing someone is definitely on the list—so what stops Anadiel from actually going and killing the opposing leader, or that really annoying general? (And, to your point, should that general suddenly get a heart attack for unrelated reasons, what's to stop everyone from blaming Anadiel?)

These are things I still need to work out better; I'm not satisfied with what I have yet.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

This is one of the things that's handled by the deities-playing-Civilization idea, for what it's worth. Implicit is that each deity can only really affect things within the bounds of their nation and among their followers; things like disputed boundaries would be subject to particular rules on the deity's side (that basically come down to "you can't interfere here')

A thing I am contemplating is actually removing the ability for the deities to interact with or affect the physical reality (except, perhaps, for "consuming" offerings). Instead, all they can do is basically talk to people and/or do grand displays of illusion. It limits their influence more into advisory roles, though it doesn't quite solve the divination problem (of "oh Anadiel, tell me my enemy's troop positions and movements!" sorts). And then, what becomes of angels—are they bound by the same rules?

All things I have to consider.

Meanwhile, I'm coming much closer on doing astronomical stuff for calendar-building. Now, I just need to decide when my astronomical data epoch begins.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

I have been doing a decent amount of behind-the-scenes work, just nothing to really post here at the moment. Though in the CBB Discord, I've spent a decent amount of time talking about stuff and obsessing over particulars.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Axiem wrote: 19 Apr 2018 20:34 This is one of the things that's handled by the deities-playing-Civilization idea, for what it's worth. Implicit is that each deity can only really affect things within the bounds of their nation and among their followers; things like disputed boundaries would be subject to particular rules on the deity's side (that basically come down to "you can't interfere here')

A thing I am contemplating is actually removing the ability for the deities to interact with or affect the physical reality (except, perhaps, for "consuming" offerings). Instead, all they can do is basically talk to people and/or do grand displays of illusion. It limits their influence more into advisory roles, though it doesn't quite solve the divination problem (of "oh Anadiel, tell me my enemy's troop positions and movements!" sorts). And then, what becomes of angels—are they bound by the same rules?

All things I have to consider.

Meanwhile, I'm coming much closer on doing astronomical stuff for calendar-building. Now, I just need to decide when my astronomical data epoch begins.
If you're serious about the "deities-playing-Civilization" idea, you could make it so that a god's influence extends in a radius from the nearest temple/place of worship. The way cities have a sphere of influence in Civ.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Axiem wrote: 18 Aug 2018 02:40
Reyzadren wrote: 17 Aug 2018 23:23 Next question: Inaccessible or hard-to-reach places in your conworld?
There's an island in the middle of the Eastern Ocean (for which I still need a better name) that's a perfect square, with sheer stone sides that go straight up a good hundred or two hundred feet. The stone itself is enchanted enough to make it nigh impossible to climb, and it doesn't seem to be wearing away. In general knowledge, no one really knows what's up there; it's just kind of a mystery.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

I've been working—on-again-off-again—on actually doing Mto's world map.

Ultimately my goal with this is to:
- End up with a reasonably topographic map of the world
- Figure out a climate map
- Figure out the various nations and map their current political borders

Which leads to a bunch of other things, but first the map.

I realize there's a "sample size of one" problem with all sorts of "is this plausible/realistic" questions. Ultimately, what I'm interested in is whether or not something is distinctly implausible, so it can be changed.

What I have so far is building up the major plates and their interactions, and a very rough sort-of sketch of landforms. By no means are any of these final coastlines; instead, it's just rough ideas of where land is going to be and roughly what it's shaped like. While I know some topography sorts of things in my mind, I don't have them particularly marked yet.

You can find the whole suite of maps up here. Here is also just the basic equirectangular map with plates numbered:

The subduction zones are between 7 and 8, and then everything running into 10.

While I'm open to any and all feedback (I would love it, in fact), I'm currently most interested in if there's anything glaringly unrealistic or wrong about my plates, their movements/interactions, and the rough landmasses that are resulting.

I'm also looking ahead and thinking about climate; I have ideas of what sorts of climate the various places will have, but I can't help but wonder if I'll end up with any surprises.

I also need to stop wallowing in indecision and fix problems with the map and finally move forward instead of constantly re-thinking things. Posting here is a step in that direction hopefully :D