Official Waxworld Thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Re: Official Waxworld Thread

Post by alynnidalar »

What kind of timescales does this occur at?

By which I mean, if some folks were living on one of these islands that breaks off and falls, would they have advance warning? Does this process take months, years, decades, etc., or mere minutes/seconds?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

alynnidalar wrote:What kind of timescales does this occur at?
By which I mean, if some folks were living on one of these islands that breaks off and falls, would they have advance warning? Does this process take months, years, decades, etc., or mere minutes/seconds?
Judging by RL Terran humans; it could take decades or centuries, and still the inhabitants might leave themselves only weeks or days to prepare.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

alynnidalar wrote:What kind of timescales does this occur at?

In the case of uplift, the uplift itself can take centuries or millenia to be fully realized. The uplift might be as little as 20 feet, occuring over only a day or so. Generally, when the uplift is over 50 feet, it happens over centuries. The uplift becomes visible after a year or so, because eventually the island is visibly lifted up. The only way to figure out if the island breaks off and falls is to determine whether the spire is at an angle, or if the spire is "too small" for the island cap. It's not easy to do that, so often, evacuations occur.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Really tiny update that really shouldn't be here. The working name for the planet is Cerantium, and the name of the star system is ρ-Aliphi, a butchering of the Greek aleiphar ἄλειφᾰρ "fat". At least the verb was aleipho, giving me an excuse as to why I'm butchering it. [:P]
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

qwed117 wrote:Really tiny update that really shouldn't be here. The working name for the planet is Cerantium, and the name of the star system is ρ-Aliphi, a butchering of the Greek aleiphar ἄλειφᾰρ "fat". At least the verb was aleipho, giving me an excuse as to why I'm butchering it. [:P]
(Wasted a second looking for the "like" button before remembering this isn't Facebook.)
So, @qwed: [B)] [+1] [tick]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Does Aliphi (or Alifar, as the old wayfarers of the Galactic Padishah Empire called it) have a moon or two?

For some reason, I get the image that moonlets periodically bud off from Aliphi, orbit for some time (absorbing intergalactic dustbunnies and lint, catching meteorites, etc) , and then fall back into Aliphi. Kind of like a Lava-Lamp, but on a spherical/globular, planet-sized scale.

I claim two of such globulet-moons be called Parafeen, and another Saevum.

What a world, what a world... :!:
[+1]

Wow! I just learned from Wiktionary that :lat: saevum is an alternate form of sebum. ¡¿Saevitia?! [O.o]
Also, Germanic *sapo ( :eng: soap, :fra: savon ) is also quite possibly related.
Maybe soaps could help clean up some of your problems. [O.O] :mrgreen:
Or froth up some new ones. :roll:
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

eldin raigmore wrote:
qwed117 wrote:Really tiny update that really shouldn't be here. The working name for the planet is Cerantium, and the name of the star system is ρ-Aliphi, a butchering of the Greek aleiphar ἄλειφᾰρ "fat". At least the verb was aleipho, giving me an excuse as to why I'm butchering it. [:P]
(Wasted a second looking for the "like" button before remembering this isn't Facebook.)
So, @qwed: [B)] [+1] [tick]
[+1]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Little Geology (Terminology) post here:

First thing to note, there are two major ocean "layers": the abyssohalic and the pelagic layer. The two are divided by an extreme halocline, where the salt concentration rapidly increases to 100 g/kg. At this point the water is significantly different; it is saturated with salts and strange hydrocarbons; it has a temperature lower than -10°C, and the pressure is comparable to 12 times that of the Mariana Trench. The water exists in a weird state in between solid and liquid, freezing and thawing over seconds. The shade is a small portion of water hidden under platforms that tends to be decently rich in sealife

There are 4 different major types of wax structures, called pipes. Spikes and spires are wax projections that don't break the halocline. Towers are wax projections that break the halocline but do not break the surface. Platforms are wax projections that break the surface, and develop a mushroom-like shape and buttresses are smaller wax projections around the base of a tower or a platform that provide support but do not have an independent termination

There are 3 different types of clusters. Fields are clusters of over 5 close pipes. Twins, triplets and quadruplets are clusters of 2, 3 or 4 pipes that are closely related. Smaller buttresses are generally ignored when considering this. Solitaires or solitaries or lone pipes are, as their name suggests pipes not found in the vicinity of another pipe

There are 3 different categorization of pipe chambers. There are magmatic chambers, which are generally small chambers that tend to result in the formation of lone towers and spikes. Magmatic pulses are differentiated by their different convection currents that tend to spread out heat over a large portion of area. They tend to form fields and other larger clusters of pipes. Magmatic plumes are the largest and form large clusters of plumes and towers. Their convection tends to be less than the other 2, and they cool with less interaction with the surface. Be careful to note that for the most part, while the mantle forms the majority of the magma in these pipe chambers, mantle tends to never reach the surface of the crust, much less form any part of the rising pipes. Those are generally made of heated crust, although rarely, mantle forms a part of it, usually where one plume has risen over a dead chamber..
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad