Can this change in human biology help justify a matriarchy?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Sharad9
rupestrian
rupestrian

Can this change in human biology help justify a matriarchy?

Post by Sharad9 »

In my research I came across a culture that believed women were the ones to pass on their genes to offspring. Men however, didn't pass on their genes, but their spirit. The spirit was the seat of personality for the human being, and the place where attributes and characteristics precided. Good as well as bad characteristics like bravery, disloyalty, etc would be carried over from the man and combine with the womanswer genes to make a new life. Due to this setup, clans were matrilineal. People born into a clan remained there for life.

I actually have two questions. I would like to make this change a reality in biology instead of it being simply cultural for this world. Is there a way to do this "realistically" and make it sound plausible? The setting also has magic, but it is only accessible by women and some are stronger than others in it. Magic is also slow and intensive, and requires focus. Can these changes justify a matriarchal setting?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Re: Can this change in human biology help justify a matriarc

Post by k1234567890y »

uncertain

I have ever seen a novel-like creation which describes a society where there's a big gender imbalance, and it was made and was done by using a certain kind of medicine or something like that which kills all sperms(or cells) that has a Y chromosome, and it states that if they use the same mechanism but eliminates X chromosome instead they would yield no child, and as a result, almost everyone in the society is female.

Maybe you can have similar mechanisms for your society.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Magic used only by women? I suppose you could take a look at Strike Witches or something.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

I've already given my views on the magic and matriarchy.

Regarding the genes: if the "spirit" consists of characteristics inherited by the child from its parent, then it IS genetic, at least in any sense that matters [even if modern geneticists might call it something else for technical jargon reasons]. If the soul gene is noncorporeal and magical, that doesn't really change anything, does it? From an evolutionary point of view, it still acts like a gene.