What sound changes are these? + recommendations

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

What sound changes are these? + recommendations

Post by holbuzvala »

So I've a story in a setting that's an island settled by Icelandic and Basque traders. They now speak a mixed language, and I've decided on some names for the characters:

1. Juseva from Basque 'Joseba'
2. Uskar from Icelandic 'Oscar'
3. Marya ['marja] from Basque 'Maria' [ma'ɾiːa]
4. Shimun ['ʃiːmun] from Basque 'Simon' [si'mon]
5. Imanulsson from Imanol + son
6. Kermandusir = Kerman + dottir

From these haphazardly invented sound changes, can you see any underlying rules? I'd like to find out if there are some in case I need to make new names.

P.S. please excuse my bad IPA vowels
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What sound changes are these? + recommendations

Post by qwed117 »

holbuzvala wrote:So I've a story in a setting that's an island settled by Icelandic and Basque traders. They now speak a mixed language, and I've decided on some names for the characters:

From these haphazardly invented sound changes, can you see any underlying rules? I'd like to find out if there are some in case I need to make new names.

Why not Imanulssun?
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

holbuzvala wrote:So I've a story in a setting that's an island settled by Icelandic and Basque traders. They now speak a mixed language, and I've decided on some names for the characters:

1) "Palatalisation" before /i(:)/ (with subsequent loss of /i(:)/ between a consonant and a vowel (may have occurred in stages)
2) Voiced plosives > voiced fricatives between vowels
3) Stress shift to initial syllables
4) Unstressed /o/ > /u/

The only two issues would be Imanulsson and Uskar which looking at it should be Imanulssun and Oskar, assuming /o/ > /u/ wasn't unconditional.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

@
I thought something along those lines.

Though, with the way I'm pronouncing the words (which I failed to indicate clearly), it would seem that stressed /o/ becomes /u/, which is interesting as with regards to Simon -> Shimun, it means the /o/->/u/ change occured before the stress shift.

Also, it seems all lone or geminate stops become fricatives, non?
1. Kermandottir -> Kermandusir; along with 2. Joseba -> Juseva; and NOT Oskar -> Usxar

@qwed117
I suppose, based on my first point above, because Imanulsson has the stress on the 'nul' syllable, then the 'son' suffix remains as unstressed /o/.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

holbuzvala wrote:@
I thought something along those lines.

Though, with the way I'm pronouncing the words (which I failed to indicate clearly), it would seem that stressed /o/ becomes /u/, which is interesting as with regards to Simon -> Shimun, it means the /o/->/u/ change occured before the stress shift.

Also, it seems all lone or geminate stops become fricatives, non?
1. Kermandottir -> Kermandusir; along with 2. Joseba -> Juseva; and NOT Oskar -> Usxar

@qwed117
I suppose, based on my first point above, because Imanulsson has the stress on the 'nul' syllable, then the 'son' suffix remains as unstressed /o/.
The tt > /s/ change could be part of a wider intevocalic fricativisation process, or it could be the result of palatalisation, e.g. [tʲ] > [tʃ] > [ts] > (with [ʃ] from [sʲ] remaining as post-alveolar which doesn't seem too unreasonable ).

[o] > could happen either before or after a stress shift, but since only appear in stressed syllables and [o] in unstressed syllables it might be that original /u/ and /o/ merged into each other differently depending on stress.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.