Is conlanging sexually transmitted...

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
lsd
greek
greek

Is conlanging sexually transmitted...

Post by lsd »

What do you think of second-generation esperantists ...

What do children, whose parents were fans of Star Trek the original series, and who love the latest serie, think about klingon ...

Do you think you can transmit your conlang to your children...
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Is conlanging sexually transmitted...

Post by Lao Kou »

lsd wrote:What do you think of second-generation esperantists ...

What do children, whose parents were fans of Star Trek the original series, and who love the latest series, think about klingon ...

Do you think you can transmit your conlang to your children...
It'd be weird, ego-centric parenting. Esperanto... there's a welcoming community out there and supposedly 2G native speakers. Klingon? less so (and do you want to be beholden to the crumbs Mark Okrand dispenses yearly for vocab?).
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

It would have to be a special scenario, indeed.

While my son is interested in languages (French, Spanish, decoding words written in Greek alphabet), he does not demonstrate the Tasmanian Devil/PACMANish voracity for natlangs, writing systems, exploring cultures and then glossopoesis/cosmopoesis that I did at his age. Then again, he is not as exposed to as many extended family and family friends of different cultures as I was, or if he was, the contacts were more casual & one time only, versus repeated exposures over time.

I am sure some children would regard the :con: of their 'rents as a 'heritage language' of sorts: some will take to it, others may get the bug and make their own, still others will be of the opinion 'yeah, that's something my folks do, but not me'.

As with heritage natlangs. And so many other things.

I also wonder how many conlangers divulge their :con: to another loved one, and their amt of success.
I did with a former girlfriend who was used to my eccentricities, and took it in like not much else, od ihme uŋzoržewiriθ eidwo.

The one that got away… :roll:
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Yeah, I think conlanging is sexually transmitted. I only started conlanging after failing to use protection. [xD]
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Project Limestone and Ałýýla were unplanned "happy accidents".
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

@ clawgrip:

So... are they old enough now to realize this?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

DesEsseintes wrote:Yeah, I think conlanging is sexually transmitted. I only started conlanging after failing to use protection. [xD]
Whoa, talk about the agglutinative sneeze without a hankie. :roll:
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

DesEsseintes wrote:Yeah, I think conlanging is sexually transmitted.
Nah, conlanging is a bug that infests your brain. A related species of those is the conworlding-bug. I host both.
DesEsseintes wrote:failing to use protection
DON'T EVER!
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

The disturbing amount of conlangers below age 16...
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Any child of mine will be at least tri-lingual if her mother has anything to say about the matter, so what's one more?
Still, languages are learned, not inherited genetically, so I don't think it's useful to consider them sexually transmitted as it might lead one to seriously misunderstand the phrase 'oral intercourse' if nothing else.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Lambuzhao wrote:It would have to be a special scenario, indeed.

While my son is interested in languages (French, Spanish, decoding words written in Greek alphabet), he does not demonstrate the Tasmanian Devil/PACMANish voracity for natlangs, writing systems, exploring cultures and then glossopoesis/cosmopoesis that I did at his age. Then again, he is not as exposed to as many extended family and family friends of different cultures as I was, or if he was, the contacts were more casual & one time only, versus repeated exposures over time.

I am sure some children would regard the :con: of their 'rents as a 'heritage language' of sorts: some will take to it, others may get the bug and make their own, still others will be of the opinion 'yeah, that's something my folks do, but not me'.

As with heritage natlangs. And so many other things.

I also wonder how many conlangers divulge their :con: to another loved one, and their amt of success.
I did with a former girlfriend who was used to my eccentricities, and took it in like not much else, od ihme uŋzoržewiriθ eidwo.

The one that got away… :roll:
I began my entire linguistic journey not but three years ago, it may just be a matter of the right circumstances.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

clawgrip wrote:Project Limestone and Ałýýla were unplanned "happy accidents".
Limestone is legitimate, but yeah, Ałýýla is a bit of a bastard. [:S]
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Ànradh wrote:Any child of mine will be at least tri-lingual if her mother has anything to say about the matter, so what's one more?
Hah, good luck. Easier said than done. Just bilingual is hard enough.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Often children have something to say... which is not what you want...
However, we will note the rise in power of bio-linguistics, which correlate languages and genes...
Even if one speaks most often of L1...
Except to do an Armond Speers experience...
GamerGeek
sinic
sinic

Post by GamerGeek »

clawgrip wrote:
Ànradh wrote:Any child of mine will be at least tri-lingual if her mother has anything to say about the matter, so what's one more?
Anglophone.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

lsd wrote:Often children have something to say... which is not what you want...
However, we will note the rise in power of bio-linguistics, which correlate languages and genes...
Even if one speaks most often of L1...
Except to do an Armond Speers experience...
What in the world are you talking about, dude? Children need not only significant exposure to all the languages you want them to learn, enough to absorb the grammar and vocabulary passively, but also enough situations that force them to use those languages (i.e. they can't get away with using the other language(s)).
GamerGeek wrote:
clawgrip wrote:
Anglophone.
Care to elaborate? There's really no way for me to respond to this. Is it an insult? What do you want to say to me? My children both speak Japanese better than they do English, and I'm doing my best to get them to speak English as well. The problem is that they know I can understand them when they speak Japanese, and I really can't just ignore them whenever they speak it. So I need to find other ways to encourage them to speak it without making them feel like speaking English is a chore. But yes, English is my first language, if that's what you're trying to say.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

"situations that force them to use" is realized only in L1 or in L2 country... for conlang as in Armond experiment, failure happens generally...
IMO, genes and language are correlled for L1 language, in conlang I doubt any transmition possible "by genes" (by parents if you want...)
And weltanschauung of a child is often in this case underestimated... Dressage is not enough...
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

And about your anglophonia... English is invasive and elswhere invaded in the world english seems to be taught...
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Have you read that correlation between tone language and microcephaly genes...
http://www.pnas.org/content/104/26/10944
Who made a tonal conlang...
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble following your train of thought. I was talking about the practical difficulties of raising a multilingual child, not the potential correlation between allele frequencies and linguistic tone.

I'm not even sure if we agree with each other or disagree. Let's agree.