Köppen Climates

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Davush
greek
greek

Köppen Climates

Post by Davush »

Hello,

I have been working on a world map for the last while (which means I have barely done any conlanging), and I somehow got sucked into working out the climate zones for the world. This was both an enjoyable and frustrating learning process but I think the results are worth it.

That said, there are a few areas which I'm not 100% sure of. I realise a lot will be 'toss a coin' situations but it would be great to hear input from people who are knowledgable about climates. I have had this as a WIP thread on cartographersguild for quite a while, so people who frequent that forum might have already seen this.

The part which I am most unsure of is the far eastern subcontinent. On the Eastern coast there is a high Andes-style mountain range, and on the western side there is a moderate plateau. I imagined the northern half would be temperate and wet as the westerlies are dominant, so the east coast mountains don't affect it too much. I don't think the plateau/moderate mountain range to the west would block the winds (at 1000-2000m elevation). The centre would probably be drier but there is probably enough moisture in the surrounding here to prevent a full blown desert. Perhaps I should extend the steppe?

I have also attached what I think the winds would look like in January and July. Feel free to tell me if any areas look completely wrong, or if you think any parts need changing! The climate zones use the Wiki Köppen colour scheme.

Thanks.

Climates (just linking to cartographersguild because image quite large):
https://www.cartographersguild.com/atta ... 1501406303

Jan winds:
https://www.cartographersguild.com/atta ... 1501581268

July winds:
https://www.cartographersguild.com/atta ... 1501581279
sangi39

Re: Köppen Climates

Post by sangi39 »

Since you're on the Cartographers' Guild, have you come across users like Pixie, Azelor, Davoush? From what I can remember, their work on climates was pretty in-depth and they can be very helpful as well (Pixie and Azelor, I think, both started threads deal with building conworlds from the ground up, including climate).
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

sangi39 wrote:Since you're on the Cartographers' Guild, have you come across users like Pixie, Azelor, Davoush? From what I can remember, their work on climates was pretty in-depth and they can be very helpful as well (Pixie and Azelor, I think, both started threads deal with building conworlds from the ground up, including climate).
(Emphasis mine.)

//Looks at OP.

I get the feeling Davush and Davoush may have run into each other before. [:P]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

shimobaatar wrote:
sangi39 wrote:Since you're on the Cartographers' Guild, have you come across users like Pixie, Azelor, Davoush? From what I can remember, their work on climates was pretty in-depth and they can be very helpful as well (Pixie and Azelor, I think, both started threads deal with building conworlds from the ground up, including climate).
(Emphasis mine.)

//Looks at OP.

You know what? One day I'll actually think about people's usernames and stop assuming that it's all a big coincidence [:P]
Just one time.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

sangi39 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
(Emphasis mine.)

//Looks at OP.

You know what? One day I'll actually think about people's usernames and stop assuming that it's all a big coincidence [:P]
Haha, you never know, it certainly could just be a coincidence.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

shimobaatar wrote:
sangi39 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
(Emphasis mine.)

//Looks at OP.

Haha, you never know, it certainly could just be a coincidence.
Possibly. If not then I think my advice came down to "sorry I can't help, but if you're looking for some advice, you yourself are a pretty good source of help" [:P]

Sal had some good tips and lent a helping hand when I was working on Yantas as well.
Just one time.
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush »

Davush and Davoush are indeed the same person... [:D]

Pixie and Azelor on cartographers guild have given excellent advice and have been very kind in sharing their knowledge as well as some other members. I just thought since the world started really as a home for conlangs it might be nice to start a thread here and see if there are any second opinions. [:)]

I think I actually browsed through the Yantas thread a while back - it seemed great!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Davush wrote:Davush and Davoush are indeed the same person... [:D]
Ah, awesome! [:D]

Davush wrote:Pixie and Azelor on cartographers guild have given excellent advice and have been very kind in sharing their knowledge as well as some other members. I just thought since the world started really as a home for conlangs it might be nice to start a thread here and see if there are any second opinions. [:)]
Glad to see they're still handing out the helpful hints [:)]

I think that's a fair reason to start a thread. Unfortunately I can't, as I said, offer much advice regarding your specific queries, but I always enjoy this level of world-building.

Davush wrote:I think I actually browsed through the Yantas thread a while back - it seemed great!
I'm still technically working on it, but progress has slowed dramatically over the last year or so. I don't want to work on anything else, with all of my conworlding and conlanging going into Yantas, but there's not much going on at the moment.
Just one time.
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush »

Thanks Sangi93. If nobody else chimes in, I'll just assume my reasoning for the climate zones is semi-plausible at least!

I am the same with my own world, I go through bursts of working on it, sometimes I don't touch it for months. It was only this last while I tried to put some effort into figuring out the climates.