Does anybody else get bored of conworlds easily?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Does anybody else get bored of conworlds easily?

Post by qwed117 »

elemtilas wrote:
gestaltist wrote:Yes! I get bored or dissatisfied way too easily. I often get discouraged to the point of not doing any creative work for months but I always come back to the "secret vice".
Good to see you back from your long wanderings, gestaltist!
[+1] [+1][+1][+1] [+1] [+1] [+1] [+1]
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

qwed117 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
gestaltist wrote:Yes! I get bored or dissatisfied way too easily. I often get discouraged to the point of not doing any creative work for months but I always come back to the "secret vice".
Good to see you back from your long wanderings, gestaltist!
[+1] [+1][+1][+1] [+1] [+1] [+1] [+1]
Thanks guys. I wouldn't say I'm back-back. My recent visit to the Louvre has rekindled my interest in conculturing, though. Will probably end in another unfinished and unpublished sketch...
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Now we know how it works: Say conworlding is bunk, gestaltist appears.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Egerius wrote:Now we know how it works: Say conworlding is bunk, gestaltist appears.
Conworlding is bunk
Conworlding is bunk
Conworlding is bunk
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Egerius wrote:Now we know how it works: Say conworlding is bunk, gestaltist appears.
Conworlding is bunk
Conworlding is bunk
Conworlding is bunk
It's not true at al... wait...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

gestaltist wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:
Conworlding is bunk
Conworlding is bunk
Conworlding is bunk
It's not true at al... wait...
Don't you have to look in a mirror in a darkish room while saying it?
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Everything I've ever written is canon, at least metaphorically. From when I was 3 yrs old to my early twenties, I mostly wrote about space. So e.g. the spaceships have become boats, the aliens have become animals, (I still have sentient/sapient animals) and cities of millions have become towns of thousands.

Some individual characters have become deities, others remain as people, and others do not appear at all (everything is canon but not everything is interesting enough to be worth mentioning).

My childhood conworld is still alive privately, but I never post about it here or elsewhere on in the internet, and have removed mentions even from frathwiki. It uses the same conlangs as my newer, smaller conworld, even though this is a logical paradox... My standards were much lower when I was younger.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Pabappa wrote: 20 Nov 2017 20:15 Everything I've ever written is canon, at least metaphorically. From when I was 3 yrs old to my early twenties, I mostly wrote about space. So e.g. the spaceships have become boats, the aliens have become animals, (I still have sentient/sapient animals) and cities of millions have become towns of thousands.

Some individual characters have become deities, others remain as people, and others do not appear at all (everything is canon but not everything is interesting enough to be worth mentioning).

My childhood conworld is still alive privately, but I never post about it here or elsewhere on in the internet, and have removed mentions even from frathwiki. It uses the same conlangs as my newer, smaller conworld, even though this is a logical paradox... My standards were much lower when I was younger.
Oo, someone with who I share the same yacht of extreme longevity of canon! Though for me it's probably about 7 or 8 and into the forseeable future. I've only rarely written anything set in Space; but I fully commiserate as regards old things becoming other things and ancient factoids remaining in place and the whole ancient inner world still being alive and active thing!!

I don't know if Lambuzhao or Lao Kou or some of the other, er, more seasoned geopoets have been working on one world the whole time or not. I think Sally Caves is probably the only other person I know who's been working within a single world for a span of decades.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I don't get bored, strictly speaking, but I do get bogged down a lot in stuff that I just don't understand, or have a limited ability to use certain tools to anywhere near a decent enough level to create anything that looks good and detailed (like rivers or altitude maps). I opted for creating a conworld from the ground up, so I started with tectonics, then moved on to atmospheric and oceanic currents, then on to climate, and that took a fair bit of reading because I actually don't have much experience dealing with those topics.

Obviously real-life has a way of coming in and ruining progress as well, so it just takes forever to get pretty minimal results.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
OliveAnne
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by OliveAnne »

I just started with one conworld and still very interested in and attached to it. I don't know if I ever get bored of it, but I think it could happen as you said. It really depends on your creativity to keep your conworld remain interesting.
Words are capable of making experience more vivid, and also of organizing it. They can scare us, and they can comfort us - Jonathan Safran Foer [tick]
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

elemtilas wrote: 21 Nov 2017 00:15 I don't know if Lambuzhao or Lao Kou or some of the other, er, more seasoned geopoets have been working on one world the whole time or not. I think Sally Caves is probably the only other person I know who's been working within a single world for a span of decades.
Depending on how exactly you count it, I've potentially been working on Mto in some fashion for about two decades now. The nature of the universe itself has changed on multiple times during then, and places have changed names and been shifted around. Characters have changed names, but there are several who can directly trace themselves back to then.

It's kind of a ship of Theseus problem, though. If I present a universe/story/characters, and then over time change each thing little by little, until everything's been replaced with something new, is it still the same conworld?
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Axiem wrote: 02 Dec 2017 18:37
elemtilas wrote: 21 Nov 2017 00:15 I don't know if Lambuzhao or Lao Kou or some of the other, er, more seasoned geopoets have been working on one world the whole time or not. I think Sally Caves is probably the only other person I know who's been working within a single world for a span of decades.
Depending on how exactly you count it, I've potentially been working on Mto in some fashion for about two decades now. The nature of the universe itself has changed on multiple times during then, and places have changed names and been shifted around. Characters have changed names, but there are several who can directly trace themselves back to then.

It's kind of a ship of Theseus problem, though. If I present a universe/story/characters, and then over time change each thing little by little, until everything's been replaced with something new, is it still the same conworld?
Yes it is! As I recall, Sally's world has evolved in nature, as has mine. Tolkien's as well. For that matter, the same is true of the cultures & histories of the primary world!
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam »

elemtilas wrote: 21 Nov 2017 00:15I don't know if Lambuzhao or Lao Kou or some of the other, er, more seasoned geopoets have been working on one world the whole time or not. I think Sally Caves is probably the only other person I know who's been working within a single world for a span of decades.
It's changed very considerably since I started it, but I've been working on my current world in some form or other for around twenty years now, and I don't envisage myself stopping anytime soon. There are still a handful of elements maintained pretty much unchanged from very early on, and others which have altered quite a bit but whose lineage can nevertheless be traced back to the very early days. The most recent form, which retains quite a bit from the version immediately previous, is now 11 years old. I dabble in other projects occasionally, but this one world is very definitely the major one for me: it's many times detailed than any others.
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

elemtilas wrote: 21 Nov 2017 00:15I don't know if Lambuzhao or Lao Kou or some of the other, er, more seasoned geopoets have been working on one world the whole time or not. I think Sally Caves is probably the only other person I know who's been working within a single world for a span of decades.

Who you talkin' about "seasoned", elmtilas?

Géarthtörs has always been a rather vague place (albeit whether or here)*, with neat streetcar designs and pubs under spanning welcoming trees. In that sense, it spans decades. However, the lang has always trumped my being able to speak it over setting. Some places have since gained placenames, but the general cultural outline remains an Oriental-Occidental smish-smash (and it wouldn't involve Hello Kitty). I'd rather try to speak it and see where it takes me. And it that sense, it has spanned.

*I believe Sally Caves' world has the luxury of fazing in and out of the Black Sea at will. Géarthtörs also exists here (in this kind of dimension), staked out in the Sea of Japan, but has a Zelig-ish presence on twentieth-century history.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
marvelous
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by marvelous »

I start far more conworlds than I ever work into any sort of detailed form. My most fleshed-out conworld to date, Hkad/Tes Las, is unusual in that I've been developing it for over a year. The frustrating part about getting a conworld down in a more detailed form is that sometimes I want to start over with a new world, and I try to, but it's frustrating or doesn't work out the way I hoped and i just go back to my usual one.
:heb: I have gained self-respect and left. :yid:
fruityloops
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fruityloops »

i'm not very good at keeping track with my worlds so at times i may jump back and forth to the world i like to talk about the most.
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

I used to have that problem; now I kinda have the opposite where I never feel like working on new stuff (even though it would be interesting) and would rather just go back and add details to Mesak and its world.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.