The Language of Lortho and the World of Dhamashi

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

The Language of Lortho and the World of Dhamashi

Post by bbbourq »

Lortho ['loɾ.tʰo]

Setting

Dhamashi, a circumbinary planet with two natural satellites, is a world with three major continents: Mashonu, Lamona, and Kashti. The people, or Kalanune, who speak Lortho are a simple people who live on Lamona. Lortho's script represents roots which always gives a sense of being grounded. The people are very close to nature and in nature is where they see nadina (life force, universal conscience).
Spoiler:
Etymology of Lortho

Lortho is from the combination of Lor, the deity which the Kalanune believe created life and the universe, and -tho, the archaic inalienable form for the genitive case. Over time this has become a noun and can take suffixes.
  • e.g.
    konphar-imu kalanu-ne lortho-me
    speak-3FPL.PRS person.F-PL lortho-ACC
    The people speak Lortho.
Great Mountain

Malhi Dharakhi (Great Mountain) is the place where Lor is said to reside. It is the tallest mountain on Lamona and is located in the coastal mountain range on the west side of the continent.

DISCLAIMER: This is a work in progress. There is much to be discovered and I will post progress here in this topic. Thank you for reading and showing interest! A special thank you to @elemtilas
and @Lambuzhao for your words of encouragement.
Last edited by bbbourq on 24 Dec 2017 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Itlani Jim
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: The Language of Lortho and the World of Dhamashi

Post by Itlani Jim »

Loving Lortho! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see more.

Tsiasuk
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Itlani Jim wrote:Loving Lortho! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see more.

Tsiasuk
Thanks, Jim! 'Tis good to see you on here. Your work in Itlani is astonishing!

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Itlani Jim
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Itlani Jim »

bbbourq wrote:
Itlani Jim wrote:Loving Lortho! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see more.

Tsiasuk
Thanks, Jim! 'Tis good to see you on here. Your work in Itlani is astonishing!
As the Itlani say:

"Tendayisú pevlushunú korunifyaren!" (Small waves make big oceans!)

In other words, little by little, a day at a time, so goes the work.

Tsiasuk
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Fauna on Lamona
The fauna of Lamona is quite diverse; however little is known at this time other than a few animals. Two of the known apex predators are described below.

Toshani

Introduction

The toshani is one of the most well-known and most feared of the large predatory animals. It lives within the rocks and boulders at the base of the mountains at the edge of the Great Desert, Molhadhi Pashinalo (lit: Ocean of Sand). Sightings of the toshani are rare and few who have had the unfortunate encounter of this animal have lived to tell about it.

Description

The toshani is a six-legged, diurnal reptile which resembles something you would expect to see if a Spinosaurus and a Mosasaurus had offspring, just a little smaller. The largest animal described was approximately 30 to 40 feet in length (a system of measurement has yet to be created). The head is nearly a quarter of its body length. Its teeth are knife-shaped to tear through flesh and bone with ease and has the crushing power equal or greater than that of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. With its six legs, it is very agile and can climb up, down, and around rocks at astonishing speed. Its legs are sprawled, much like that of a crocodile giving it the ability to stay low to the terrain. Its outer skin is scaly and armored and has a pattern of red, orange, and tan pastel colors giving it the perfect camouflage for the rocky terrain.

Badu

Introduction

The badu is another predatory creature which lives within the deep forest of the central part of Lamona. The badu is a pack animal and has similar behavior we see in wolves.

Description

The badu is a hoofed, diurnal, predatory animal that resembles something you would expect to see if a warthog and a wolf had offspring. The badu is about the same size as a bull moose and its legs are similar in length. It has short fur and the colors are very dark which makes it easy to mistake it for wet stone in the dense forest. The legs are black and the body is a charcoal grey. The badu has a black mane, similar to what you see on a mustang stallion. Since it has hooves, the badu must rely on its pack to help hunt and kill their prey. In other words, if you see one badu, chances are there are about five to ten more in the area, depending on the needs of the pack. Its teeth and jaws have developed a similar structure to a wolf; however, the mandibular fangs are long, protruding from the top lip making its snarl quite ferocious. Its tail is short in comparison to its body length; however still long enough to provide balance when needed.

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Flora on Lamona
Kansapune (Trees)

Introduction

The trees are as diverse as Earth. As I discover more, this post will be updated with that new information.

Neilanu
plural neilanune

The neilanu is a large evergreen tree which grows to approximately 65 to 100 ft (20 - 30 m) tall and has a circumference of about 40 ft (12.7 ft in diameter). The tree is dioecious, meaning that there are male and female trees. The leaves are long needles that reach lengths of up to 12 in which gives the tree a likeness to a weeping willow. The bark is medium rough and is a dark brown and grey color. The trees are very old, the oldest reaching the age of approximately 3,000 Earth years.

The trunks of the neilanu exhibit extensive deformations due to weather, animals, and growth. Many trees have multiple burls giving the illusion of faces in the moonlit night. These "faces" are believed to be those of the ancestors and therefore the trees have deep cultural significance to the kalanune.
Last edited by bbbourq on 08 Sep 2018 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Kansapune (Trees)
Neilanu (Continued)

For the kalanune, it is extremely important that these trees are protected and respected. Since they embody the physical representations of their ancestors, any malicious act against these revered organisms is taboo and punishable by banishment to the toshani territory at the base of the mountains. There is no record of anyone surviving this punishment, therefore the kalanune view this punishment as certain death.

Any member of the kalanune can visit these trees (read: their ancestors); however, before they are able to do so they must endure a vetting process that convinces the Guardians1 that the visit is genuine and in good faith.

1 This still remains to be explained further.

Avis Noctis
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Avis Noctis »

Any linguistic variation or is this just a lingua franca of sorts?

Cool world!
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness"
-Aristotle
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Avis Noctis wrote:Any linguistic variation or is this just a lingua franca of sorts?
Right now it is the only language that I have for this world at the moment and that is because this specific part of the world is coming to me from Lortho as it develops. I want to create other languages as well, but for now it is the lingua franca for this continent until I get some more creative juices flowing to either make sister languages or start completely unrelated languages on the other continents.
Cool world!
Thank you very much!

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

So, as Dhamashi develops, I have been thinking about other cultures that might coexist on this world and one came to me. The language is called Dhakhsh [ðæxʃ] and the people who speak it call themselves Lœsheq [ˈlø.ʃəq]. They live on the continent Shardhelikh [ˈʃær.ðə.ˌlɯx] which is the continent Kashti in Lortho. Here is the phonology:

Consonants:

Code: Select all

Plosive             /p b t d k g q ɢ ʔ/
Nasal               /m n ɲ ŋ/
Trill               /r/
Fricative           /f v θ ð s z ʃ ʒ x ʁ h/
Approximant         /j/
Lateral Approximant /l/
Affricate           /t͡ʃ d͡ʒ/
Vowels:

Close     /i ɯ u/
Close-Mid /e ø o/
Mid       /ə/
Near-Open /æ/
Open      /ɒ/
I have started a page in Linguifex to document the progress as I discover more about the language and the culture of its people.

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

For Lexember the 12th, I decided to publish a short story in my conlang Lortho. I came up with this story which is in the beginning stages of some sort of folklore. Here is the story (cross-posted from ZBB Lexember thread):

The Unlucky Fox

Romanization:
shadar lharane dasat dharakhinat harlikhi nuphi.
khabalikhi nuphi dalhotamekhon dhaharlikha halhadar a.
kilikhikhi ikhi molha kansapume.
harlikha dirdhalama lidalhota mokansapoina.
khar khesikhi nuphi kansapume denalikhu kansapu lukhothume hana tushadikhu khashume nuphinalo.
tharikhu bonhan monu saurammu thasame nuphinalo.

IPA:
ˈʃɑ.dɑɾ lhɑ.ˈɾɑ.nɛ ˈdɑ.sɑt dʰɑ.ˈɾɑ.kʰi.nɑt ˈhɑɾ.li.kʰi ˈnu.pʰi
kʰɑ.ˈbɑl.ikʰ.i ˈnu.pʰi dɑl.ˈho.tɑ.mɛ.kʰon dʰɑ.ˈhɑɾ.li.kʰɑ ˈhɑl.hɑ.dɑɾ ɑ
ki.ˈli.kʰi.kʰi ˈi.kʰi ˈmol.hɑ kɑn.ˈsɑ.pu.mɛ
ˈhɑɾ.li.kʰɑ diɾ.dʰɑ.ˈlɑ.mɑ li.dɑl.ˈho.tɑ mo.kɑn.ˈsɑ.pɔɪ.nɑ. kʰɑɾ ˈkʰɛ.si.kʰi ˈnu.pʰi kɑn.ˈsɑ.pu.mɛ dɛ
ˈnɑ.li.kʰu kɑn.ˈsɑ.pu lu.ˈkʰo.tʰu.mɛ ˈhɑ.nɑ tu.ˈʃɑ.di.kʰu ˈkʰɑ.ʃu.mɛ ˈnu.pʰi.nɑlo
ˈtʰɑ.ɾi.kʰu ˈbon.hɑn ˈmo.nu saʊ.ˈɾɑm.mu ˈtʰɑ.sɑ.mɛ ˈnu.pʰi.nɑ.lo

Gloss and Translation:

shadar  lhara-ne dasat      dharakhi  -nat harl-ikh-i    nuphi
ago.ADV year -PL beyond.ADV mountain.M-ABL be  -PST-3MSG fox.M
Once upon a time, there was the fox

khabal-ikh-i    nuphi dalhota-me -khon dha-harl-ikh-a    halhadar a
search-PST-3MSG fox.M food.N -ACC-but  NEG-be  -PST-3NSG much.ADJ PN.3NSG
The fox searched for food, but there was not much of it

kilikh-ikh-i    ikhi molha  kansapu-me
see   -PST-3MSG one  huge-N tree.N -ACC
It saw a huge tree

harl-ikh-a    dir     -dhalam-a li          -dalhota mo   -kansapo-ina
be  -PST-3NSG SUPERL  -good  -N PN.POSS.3MSG-food.N  that -tree.F -SUBL
Its favorite food was in that tree

khar khes   -ikh-i    nuphi kansapu-me  denal-ikh-u    kansapu lu          -khothu-me  hana tushad-ikh-u    khashu-me  nuphi-nalo
when scratch-PST-3MSG fox.M tree.F -ACC close-PST-3FSG tree.F  PN.POSS.3FSG-wall.F-ACC and  bury  -PST-3FSG head.F-ACC fox.M-GEN
When the fox scratched the tree, the tree closed its wall (here it means bark) and buried (trapped) the fox's head

thar-ikh-u    bonhan mon  -u saurammu thasa -me  nuphi-nalo
eat -PST-3FSG twenty other-F animal.F head.N-ACC fox.M-GEN
Twenty other animals ate the fox's body

I know this story is quite morbid and has the unexpected twist; however, this explains why calling someone a "fox" is a derogatory term. Besides, I only have just under 400 words, so this is quite the accomplishment for me.

The term "fox" is loosely applied here since it is the closest animal we on Earth have that looks remotely like the nuphi

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Fauna on Lamona
(Continuation)

Nuphi

Introduction

The nuphi (IPA: [ˈnu.pʰi]) is a carnivorous animal that lives in the forest (kansaptha). It primarily hunts and feasts on mole-like creatures that live underground near the roots of trees. It is a solitary animal and is often quite skittish, leaving the existence of the creature to the imagination.

Description

The nuphi is a mammal that most closely resembles the now extinct gymnure, Deinogalerix. It is a carnivore and it primarily digs at the roots of trees to get at its meal. The nuphi can grow to the approximate size of a full-grown German Shepherd. The nuphi is a formidable animal and can be quite dangerous to the kalanune if it feels threatened; however, due to its solitary life the kalanune rarely see this animal in person. There is an amusing set-back: because of its voracious appetite to these mole-like creatures, there have been nuphi carcasses found at the base of the neilanu trees. This is due to the immense focus and complete disregard to their surroundings once it finds its most wanted food at the base of these trees. One of the defense mechanisms of the neilanu is to quickly close its bark and roots on the intruder, many times trapping only its head, leaving the rest of the body exposed to the elements and other animals. Often the nuphi starves to death and attracts scavengers and insects to devour the remnants; however, it has been known to be eaten alive by other opportunistic carnivores, especially during times of food scarcity due to times of drought or other weather phenomena. Because of this occurrence, to call someone a "nuphi" is considered derogatory as it points out a person's misfortune.

Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Did you know? Lortho is so far my favourite conlang from another conlanger, amongst many others that I have seen over the years.

In fact, it is even featured on my Frathwiki userpage. Cheers~ [:D]
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Reyzadren wrote: 21 Dec 2017 00:04 Did you know? Lortho is so far my favourite conlang from another conlanger, amongst many others that I have seen over the years.

In fact, it is even featured on my Frathwiki userpage. Cheers~ [:D]
Wow! I have no idea how much visibility Lortho has been getting, but this is quite humbling! I am currently going through your Griuskant Language Examination (GLE) text book. Pretty awesome idea to do something like that and it gives me some ideas of how to present Lortho in other mediums outside of a wiki environment. Thank you for sharing and thanks for the kind words.

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

A Glimpse into the Discovery of Lortho

I look at the development of Lortho and the culture surrounding it as a discovery. My view is that each word created is another step to cracking the code and the ultimate full translation of Lortho's lexicon and cultural significance.

Case and point: I discovered the neilanu trees and described that they tend to have many burls. At the time, I did not understand whence these burls developed; however, after discovering the nuphi, I inadvertently also discovered a defense mechanism of this old tree. The tree closes its bark on an intruder which, in this case, was the nuphi. Then it dawned on me: the burls are caused by whichever animal had the misfortune of succumbing to this rather abrupt demise. Therefore, the burls have some sort of resemblance to faces of animals or, as the kalanune see it: their ancestors.

ETA: Now this leads to another investigation: how many kalanune have been trapped in these trees and why?

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Lamona
  • Fauna (continued)
    1. Makashi
      1. Introduction

The makashi [mɑ.ˈkɑ.ʃi] is a nocturnal serpent which lives in the deserts of Lamona. It hides in the sand and is an opportunistic hunter, much like a spider.
      2. Description

The makashi most closely resembles the look and locomotion of a sidewinder rattlesnake. It grows no longer than about 5 ft long and has a long, slender snout. It hides in the sand during the day to avoid the heat. At night, the makashi positions its snout to the edge of the sand from which a long tongue with tiny tentacles darts out and ensnares unsuspecting prey and then darts back down into its mouth to devour the animal. Its main food source is insects.

The makashi has two different defense mechanisms which work in tandem with each other:
        • Escape. When threatened or too close for comfort, the makashi violently shakes its body out of its sandy camouflage and moves just like a sidewinder until it feels far enough and buries itself in the sand again.
        • Sting. The tail has a ring of quills, which look similar to the quills of a porcupine. It whips its tail out towards the danger as it shakes itself out of the sand, ejecting a few quills at a time often striking the face of the predator. The quills are coated with a venom that causes intense pain immediately upon impact and gives the makashi enough time to escape while the predator stops dead in its tracks. The venom is not deadly, but due to the immense pain it causes the makashi has few natural enemies.

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Lamona
  • Fauna (continued)
    1. Daileri
      1. Introduction:

The daileri [daɪ.ˈlɛ.ɾi] is a newly discovered predator which lives in the forests on the mountainside. It most closely resembles a big cat with a few differences. (data is being collected)

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Lamona
  • Fauna
    1. Kumi
      1. Introduction

The kumi is the very animal that the nuphi is so addicted to. The kumi enjoy a symbiotic relationship with the neilanu. This animal is about the size of a small rat and has the look of a star-nosed mole.
      2. Description

The kumi is a mammal; however it lays eggs vs live young. It builds its home by burrowing near the base of the nailanu tree thereby nearly guaranteeing its safety. It is a nocturnal creature feasting on primarily the fruits of the neilanu and occasionally insects. Contrary to what one might think, the tentacles around its nose have two functions. First, they serve as tactile organs to "see." This allows it to ascertain whether it can fit in a tight spot and know that it can get out. Second, they are indeed tentacles in the conventional sense where it uses them to grab and guide food to its mouth. This unique adaptation has given it a unique defense: it can stay hidden in a small enclosure without moving for long periods of time and uses its tentacles to prey on insects that come across its path in the meantime. This is, in a sense, similar to how coral feed.

Another unique feature of this small animal is that it, like the octopus and squid, has a beak at the center of its mouth. This is to crack open the hard shells of the neilanu fruit, thus the symbiosis between the two organisms: The neilanu provides food for the kumi, and the kumi helps to sow the seeds of the neilanu.

This beak is also the last line of defense for the kumi. When threatened, it spreads it tentacle exposing its beak and making it look quite formidable with its 25 tentacle splayed out in a star form. If this does not work and the predator makes an attempt to eat the kumi, it latches on to the snout of the unsuspecting predator inflicting immense pain by biting whatever is in its beak's path.

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Lortho's Writing System

Below are four images showing my progress for the writing system used in Lortho. The first was created on 26 February 2017, the second on 9 June 2017, the third on 23 July 2017, and the fourth was created on 29 April 2018. I used guiding lines for the third and fourth samples. The first and fourth images both contain spelling errors; however, I wrote through them so that the text would stay clean and you would be able to see how Lortho looks in a longer text. Not only do these display improvement/progress in the writing, but also the size of the lexicon.

Edited to add spoilers:
26 February 2017 (spelling errors):
Spoiler:
9 June 2017:
Spoiler:
23 July 2017:
Spoiler:
29 April 2018 (spelling errors):
Spoiler:
Last edited by bbbourq on 02 May 2018 23:47, edited 3 times in total.

bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

This is the syllable nnau which represents the vibration of the universe; the sound which connects one to all things. This symbol can be compared to the Sanskrit syllable om.

Last edited by bbbourq on 02 May 2018 23:52, edited 1 time in total.