Täqicj, the land of the Hajás

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Täqicj, the land of the Hajás

Post by Alessio »

History
=======
Täqicj (/tεxitʃ/; HHD: Taqic, JAP: 敵地 Tekichi), officially the Hajás People's Republic of Täqicj (Hajás Sjendeqr Lug Täqicj) is a sovereign state and parliamentary republic located in the middle of the Donu continent.
The State has been founded by displacing the first Earthling civilization to inhabit the country, namely the Japanese Empire, which had been secretly founding missions to the galaxy of Andromeda right after losing WWII. The Japanese had called the land 敵地 Tekichi, translatable to "Enemy territory", because at the time they got there the land, until then called Hajáslug /hajaːslug/, was inhabited by the native population of the Hajás.
The Japanese had succeeded in conquerring most major cities in the land, and renamed them in their own language; the capital itself, previously called Gel, saw its name changed to Heike (平家) in memory of the Taira family, descending from the Japanese emperor Kammu and whose present day members guided the conquerring of Hajáslug. "Heike" is indeed the on'yomi reading of the 平家 kanjis, meaning "Taira family".
In 1267 (Barrer year), with the Great Hajás Revolution, emperor Akihito's emissary and Täqicj's all-powerful leader Tanaka Yamashita (山下田中) was overthrown by a military coup d'etat, guided by general Méds Lesjígã, who proclaimed himself President of the Hajás People's Republic of Täqicj. The choice to keep the state's name, although slightly changed, was made mainly because international documents were universally listing it as such, and a major name change would have caused inconsistencies; however, the official name includes both words "Hajás" and "lug", which is often seen as a way to secretly "hide" the original name of the country within the current denomination.
The capital itself retained its name, phonetically respelled as Héke, until Hetrent the 1st, 1268 (New Year's Day), when it was officially changed to Hégel to hide yet another reference to the pre-Japanese State while keeping the city's name as close as possible to the one people had become accustomed with.
After the reinstatement of the Hajás republic, the Japanese were banished from the land. Most of them returned to Earth, while some found hospitality in the nearby lands of Orgrail and Nox Hí. Yamashita, the previous leader of the Japanese state, was killed during the revolution, some say by Lesjígã himself.

Language
========
While the Japanese had imposed their language over the native population, it never gained any importance within the country's boundaries. People kept communicating in the Hajás language, and even official documents were written in that language, since otherwise the State's population wouldn't even understand them. Japanese was only used in international relationships, alongside the lingua franca of the Back Hemisphere, Hecathver.
Hajás is spoken natively by 87% of the population, with only 5% speaking primarily Japanese and the remaining 8% being divided among other languages spoken in the Donu continent, particularly Hecathver (4%), Hintrenian (2%) and Orgrailti (about 2%).

Economy
=======
Despite being a young country, Täqicj has an important position in the world economy, thanks to having retained all its facilities from both the original Hajás and the Japanese state. The leading sector is the tertiary, and particularly tourism, with more than 10 million people coming to visit the country every year.
Today, Täqicj has a population of about 15 million people, whose average age is 38.8 years (1270 census data). The capital, Hégel, has a population of about 1 million 200 thousand people; the second biggest city is Desjernim, located in the north-western peninsula of Ujzúk, with 800 thousand people. Cüzẽlã, the most populous city in the south, has about 480,000 inhabitants. All three are by the sea, with Hégel wrapping itself around a small bay where 8 small islands, the Ëträjädebr, complete the city's landscape.
On one such island, specifically on Jädebört, we can see the spectacular Castle of Hégel, easily the best known and most visited of all the attractions of Täqicj with 10,000 visitors weekly. The Oceanographic Museum of Desjernim is getting more and more visitors each year, but it still can't beat the Historic Museum of Xüväjze, a medium-sized city in the north, where most of the relics from the civilizations that came before the Hajás are collected and showed to the public.

Territory
=========
The territory of Täqicj is mainly represented by an island shaped like a lowercase "t", with the capital, Hégel, being located at the point where where the two lines cross; more precisely, seen on the map where the crossing point is actually a square, it's at the south-east corner of such square, on the Bëlsinér sea. Täqicj is mainly flat, with some mountains in the center in the Owusrúl, Saxat and Júvöllú regions and in the south across Ãned, Los and Briqjä. The highest mountain is Sér Jómtorok, with its 415 rooms (about 800 meters). Täqicj has also many islands, among which the biggest, accounting for about 5% of the State's territory, is Cefí, spread between the regions of Saxat and Los.

Religion
========
The classical Hajás religion, called Pïrserjäk ("Faith in God"), is monotheistic and believes in a God that, according to the religion, has manifested himself multiple times in the past. One such time would have been during the Great Famine of 958, where the same tall, long-bearded man was allegiantly seen at the same time in multiple cities spread across Täqicj. The man would hand a fistful of seeds to whomever he encountered, and it is said that such seeds would produce crops that gave ten times as much flour as regular wheat.
During all other appearances, the Long-Bearded Man would always give out something; however, he would never speak or even write, suggesting that he didn't know the language of the Hajás. Because of this, believers say, a holy book was never written, as its words would be untrue on account of God not having pronounced them.
About 80% of the population of Täqicj call themselves believers in the religion of Pïrserjäk. 12% follow the Comet religion, the most widespread across the world of Barrer, believing that the atmosphere of Barrer was brought by God by means of a magical comet and that it protects them from evil intruders; this religion lost a lot of followers in Täqicj when the Japanese arrived, as they were considered evil intruders and, as such, the atmosphere should have kept them out according to the religion. About 6% believe in the religions brought by the Japanese, particularly shintoism (4%) and buddhism (about 2%). Only 2% of the State's population is atheist.

The end! This is my first time posting about a conworld here, so I really hope you like my work!
As a child, when I started the Hecath project, I would sometimes acknowledge the existance of foreign lands in the continent of Do Not Enter (later renamed Donu), among which Tahici [ta'çitʃi]~[ta'citʃi]. The name sounded Japanese at the time, so I imagined they would speak Japanese there. Then many years later, when I created the Hajás language, I decided that it would have been a good suit for that unknown land, and invented the story about the Japanese for consistency. Since I invented the language last year, I imagined they would have overthrown the Japanese not long ago, somewhere around 2013. All the Japanese names are back-formations - the Hajás words came first - so some of them probably don't have the meaning I think they have. "Tekichi" meaning "enemy land" was major luck, as well as "Heike" having an imperial family-related meaning. If you spot any mistake in my Japanese, please let me know so I can try to fix it without changing the Hajás established words.
Last edited by Alessio on 27 Nov 2017 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
OliveAnne
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Täqicj, the land of the Hajás

Post by OliveAnne »

Wow...impressive. I really like your work and the way you presented history, language and religion. Keep on good work mates!
Words are capable of making experience more vivid, and also of organizing it. They can scare us, and they can comfort us - Jonathan Safran Foer [tick]