My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by teengirlsquad »

Use a latitude/longitude-based distance calculator, divide the result from 111, and subtract the result from 90. (BTW, I'm mostly curious about the climates in it.)

EDIT: OK, so here's my attempt to justify the existence of this thread: because I wanted a thread for my specific alternate world. If there's a thread where it could be merged into, then just merge this thread with it, I guess.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/ ... ad.368765/
http://www.worlddreambank.org/P/PLANETS.HTM
Last edited by teengirlsquad on 08 Dec 2017 12:48, edited 2 times in total.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: My alternate world, and a calculation to find which latitude you'd be in

Post by gestaltist »

teengirlsquad wrote: 05 Dec 2017 13:04bump
Bump what?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote: 05 Dec 2017 14:24
Bump what?
Perhaps this?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

elemtilas wrote: 05 Dec 2017 15:51
Bump what?
Perhaps this?
This thread, jeez.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

teengirlsquad wrote: 19 Nov 2017 12:06 [ img ] https :// i . imgur . com / Y3AMwFP . png [ /img ]

Use a latitude/longitude-based distance calculator, divide the result from 111, and subtract the result from 90. (BTW, I'm mostly curious about the climates in it.)
Your image is impressive, and I like it.
But I don't understand the rest of your Original Post.
In particular; what is your question?

Is your alternate world basically Earth tilted and given a different axis? And/or, shrunken or expanded?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

teengirlsquad wrote: 05 Dec 2017 16:00
elemtilas wrote: 05 Dec 2017 15:51
Bump what?
Perhaps this?
This thread, jeez.
Oh.

Really? Why? I mean, it's a picture of Earth. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I will be blunt: I really don't understand the point of the image or what you're getting at with it!

Lat/Lon won't be any different. Just looking at the distribution of vegetation, desert and icecap, it's apparent you've not altered the climactic zones any, which means you haven't actually altered the planet's orientation, tilt or anything else. Perhaps you were thinking, "I'll make a map of 90deg rotated Earth", but this is a rotated picture of ordinary unrotated Earth...

Now, 90 degree Rotated Earth is an interesting concept, and well worth your consideration as a project!
Kehgrehdid
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kehgrehdid »

Best coverage you're going to find for this type of question, even though the earth is 90 degrees from your rotation, with tongue in cheek humor to boot: https://what-if.xkcd.com/10/
"Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it."

I marvel that the hardest parts of my life (fear, mistakes, guilt, sin, doubt, failure) are of man, while what I crave most (rest, hope, love, peace, forgiveness) are of God.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Kehgrehdid wrote: 06 Dec 2017 02:11 Best coverage you're going to find for this type of question, even though the earth is 90 degrees from your rotation, with tongue in cheek humor to boot: https://what-if.xkcd.com/10/
Wow! Now that's a cool resource! I'll have to look at that more closely.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

teengirlsquad wrote: 06 Dec 2017 11:20 I was inspired by this: http://www.worlddreambank.org/P/PLANETS.HTM
Nice find! So, what have you come up with for your world?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

What can we say that Chris Wayan and/or Randall Munroe haven't said?
Is there something specific they (or one of them) have said that you don't understand and want one of us to explain or clarify?
Do you have a question neither of them has addressed?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

BTW, I've been told on alternatehistory.com that the monsoons in my alternate world are gonna be intense, because of how the continents are generally aligned, like, there are lots of large landmasses facing the water.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

teengirlsquad wrote: 09 Dec 2017 12:11 BTW, I've been told on alternatehistory.com that the monsoons in my alternate world are gonna be intense, because of how the continents are generally aligned, like, there are lots of large landmasses facing the water.
Interesting!

But it doesn't explain why *there*'s monsoons should be different in intensity than *here*'s monsoons.
It doesn't explain any other difference, either, except location (*there*'s will mostly be in or near their tropics; *here*'s are mostly in or near our tropics).

Because, *there* has the same landmasses and the same oceans (and probably many of the same, or at least similar, great lakes and inland seas) as *here* has.
Also AFAICT the same mountains and mountain-ranges and plains etc.

So *there* has the same amount of landmass facing the same amount of water as *here* has.

----------

If that isn't true, or that's not what you meant, could you please clarify?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

eldin raigmore wrote: 12 Dec 2017 17:16
teengirlsquad wrote: 09 Dec 2017 12:11 BTW, I've been told on alternatehistory.com that the monsoons in my alternate world are gonna be intense, because of how the continents are generally aligned, like, there are lots of large landmasses facing the water.
Interesting!

But it doesn't explain why *there*'s monsoons should be different in intensity than *here*'s monsoons.
It doesn't explain any other difference, either, except location (*there*'s will mostly be in or near their tropics; *here*'s are mostly in or near our tropics).

Because, *there* has the same landmasses and the same oceans (and probably many of the same, or at least similar, great lakes and inland seas) as *here* has.
Also AFAICT the same mountains and mountain-ranges and plains etc.

So *there* has the same amount of landmass facing the same amount of water as *here* has.

----------

If that isn't true, or that's not what you meant, could you please clarify?
OK, that person said that these places are gonna have strong typhoons. (Then again, this was from back when my alternate Earth was slightly different. Doesn't look too different, but put my other alternate Earth on one tab and this one on another tab, and you'll see both of them move.) Image
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

teengirlsquad wrote: 13 Dec 2017 11:50 OK, that person said that these places are gonna have strong typhoons.
"Typhoon" comes from the Chinese words for "giant wind". It basically means "hurricane in the Pacific or Indian Ocean".
"Monsoon" means "Really wet, really long-lasting, seasonal rainstorm". In the tropics, days and nights stay pretty much equal-in-length all year round, so there isn't a cool season vs a hot season; instead there's a wet season vs a dry season. "Monsoons" signal the start of the wet season.
([citation needed] for all of that. I could be wrong.)

teengirlsquad wrote: 13 Dec 2017 11:50 (Then again, this was from back when my alternate Earth was slightly different. Doesn't look too different, but put my other alternate Earth on one tab and this one on another tab, and you'll see both of them move.)
I could see only one of them, and it didn't move.
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

BTW, who else here has actually done the calculation I've talked about here?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

teengirlsquad wrote: 15 Dec 2017 14:25 BTW, who else here has actually done the calculation I've talked about here?
Personally, I wound up at 33.8378.
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

Could anybody here make some climatic guesses?