(C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: (C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by qwed117 »

LinguoFranco wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
LinguoFranco wrote:I need some guidance with worldbuilding. I've been developing a conlang for awhile low and finally decided that it was time to create a conculture to speak it, but I'm always stumped when it comes to worldbuilding.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5618
The culture I have in mind is tribal and animistic or maybe an Bronze or Iron Age civilization.
Good places to start.
For the main region of focus, it will either be an isthmus that is similar to Panama in climate and geography or a world with only lakes instead of oceans. How would these places affect the development of culture?
I can't imagine a lake world would be very pleasant --- oceans drive the weather and climate systems. Probably such a world would be relatively arid and possibly dying. That could be interesting in and of itself, though I'm not sure if that's where you want to head!

Well, I was thinking the lake world would be arid, but could support some plants and animals. Since the world would be arid, there could be oases and maybe some rivers as the centers of agriculture and settlements.
It's not just aridity that matters. The tectonic motion of the earth is dependent on water. As a result there is no tectonics on your planet, just vulcanism like Venus. The feedback systems that control our world's climate over the last billion years would not be present on this planet. If there isn't enough water, another problem arises as well: carbon doesn't leave the atmosphere. Water chemically erodes many compounds through acids. For example, carbon dioxide dissolves in water to form carbonic acid, a weak acid. This erodes the silicate compounds which turn into silica, bicarbonate and free calcium, which living creatures like foramniferans, and coral use to make their shells (CaCO3 calcium carbonate). If there isn't enough water, CO2 accumulates in the atmosphere and you get Venus.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

qwed117 wrote:
LinguoFranco wrote:Well, I was thinking the lake world would be arid, but could support some plants and animals. Since the world would be arid, there could be oases and maybe some rivers as the centers of agriculture and settlements.
It's not just aridity that matters. The tectonic motion of the earth is dependent on water. As a result there is no tectonics on your planet, just vulcanism like Venus. The feedback systems that control our world's climate over the last billion years would not be present on this planet. If there isn't enough water, another problem arises as well: carbon doesn't leave the atmosphere. Water chemically erodes many compounds through acids. For example, carbon dioxide dissolves in water to form carbonic acid, a weak acid. This erodes the silicate compounds which turn into silica, bicarbonate and free calcium, which living creatures like foramniferans, and coral use to make their shells (CaCO3 calcium carbonate). If there isn't enough water, CO2 accumulates in the atmosphere and you get Venus.
Perhaps there's still underground water? LinguoFranco does speak of rivers and lakes and oases. Perhaps there's sufficient for tectonics? But, from an invented culture perspective, whatever the planet will end up being like (Mars or Venus), cultures wading through the middle of such changes will be interesting.
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

elemtilas wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
LinguoFranco wrote:Well, I was thinking the lake world would be arid, but could support some plants and animals. Since the world would be arid, there could be oases and maybe some rivers as the centers of agriculture and settlements.
Perhaps there's still underground water? LinguoFranco does speak of rivers and lakes and oases. Perhaps there's sufficient for tectonics? But, from an invented culture perspective, whatever the planet will end up being like (Mars or Venus), cultures wading through the middle of such changes will be interesting.
I've always had a fascination with arid settings, and I want an earthlike planet that isn't just a rip off of earth, or perhaps it would be a desert planet. One of the problems mentioned with desert has planets is that they would not be able to support a sustainable atmosphere unless the had large bodies of water in the past that dried up or something like that. The desert world I was working on never hand much when it came to bodies of water, so I explained that there were geysers on the planet that shot water up into the atmosphere and over time thar gradually created a breathable atmosphere.

I think a similar thing could happen on this lake world.

EDIT: I'm using "lake" loosely here. It's more of the opposite scenario going on here than on Earth. The world is mostly land with seas that are completely surrounded by land.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

What do you think would be a good umbrella term for flying foxes (floxes) flying squirrels (fluirrrels)?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Creyeditor wrote:What do you think would be a good umbrella term for flying foxes (floxes) flying squirrels (fluirrrels)?
Dinner.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Creyeditor wrote:What do you think would be a good umbrella term for flying foxes (floxes) flying squirrels (fluirrrels)?
Floxles?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Gliding mammals appears to be the real-world umbrella term for flying squirrels and similar animals (e.g. sugar gliders).
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

Flurries
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

sangi39 wrote:
Floxles?
Glidderns?
Glidewights?
Wingimals?
Floatwingers?
Wingfloaters?
Skinwingers?
Flyin' Fruit'n'Nutkins?
Pterocheires?
Glistracheires?
Velivolucres?

*** This is a very contrived categorization. Kind of like "pachyderms". [:S]
Still...
Pellivolucres
Glistraderms
siglaþliugands
siglaþlauhteis
fillaþlauhteis
крилоплавучні
New Chocolatey flyin' fruit'n'nutkins (now with Aspartame~!)
etc...
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Thank you all for your answers [:)]
Skinwingers might be a good real word umbrella term. The thing is I was looking for a translation of a certain Mamambam term that I have to term to translate a quote from a song that I really like. It is supposed to be an idiom in my conworld, expressing basically thing's like 'It is like it is, you can't change it', but also 'don't live with you head in the clouds'. Here is the English translation:

Every animal is living on the ground except the flishes and the skinwingers*.

*insert term here

It would sound weird if there were three groups of animals not living on the ground. Also there are no flying birds in my conworld. Only neotenic Hoatzins, penguins and flightless rails.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Could a moon have a visible ring around it?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Ahzoh wrote:Could a moon have a visible ring around it?
Yes, but it would be extremely faint.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

qwed117 wrote:
Yes, but it would be extremely faint.
So people wouldn't be able to see it from Earth distance?
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Does this video help?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Greatly.

How would these three moons affect the tides and such of the planet Sedu?
Here is diagram: http://i.imgur.com/3Oaoj9W.png
Other information:
Radius in RE (km)
Sedu = 1 (6371)
Shurdi = 0.342 (2178.882)
Nnukhi = 0.288 (1834.848)
Uzzoti = 0.121 (770.891)

Distance in RE (km)
Sedu = 0 (0)
Shurdi = 59.8 (380985.8)
Nnukhi = 73.1 (465972.3)
Uzzoti = 21.9 (139524.9)

Density in g/cm3
Sedu = 5.49
Shurdi = 3.18
Nnukhi = 1.43
Uzzoti = 1.65
Last edited by Ahzoh on 27 Feb 2017 23:09, edited 3 times in total.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

a moon, sure.

Earth's Moon...not sure...maybe the moon could have moon/asteroids in the Trojan Points.
(I think our Moon is too close to have a stable ring)
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Keenir wrote:
a moon, sure.

Earth's Moon...not sure...maybe the moon could have moon/asteroids in the Trojan Points.
(I think our Moon is too close to have a stable ring)
If it's close enough to be tide-locked it probably is too close for rings.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Rhea is a tidally-locked moon and it has rings.

Anyways, what about this moon set-up?
Ahzoh wrote:How would these three moons affect the tides and such of the planet Sedu?
Here is diagram: http://i.imgur.com/3Oaoj9W.png
Other information:
Radius in RE (km)
Sedu = 1 (6371)
Shurdi = 0.342 (2178.882)
Nnukhi = 0.288 (1834.848)
Uzzoti = 0.121 (770.891)

Distance in RE (km)
Sedu = 0 (0)
Shurdi = 59.8 (380985.8)
Nnukhi = 73.1 (465972.3)
Uzzoti = 21.9 (139524.9)

Density in g/cm3
Sedu = 5.49
Shurdi = 3.18
Nnukhi = 1.43
Uzzoti = 1.65
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

When conworlding, where would plateaus form?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

LinguoFranco wrote:When conworlding, where would plateaus form?
Almost anywhere, depending on tectonics, due to them being caused by the upwelling or swelling of volcanoes, but also this:
Spoiler: