Dah Heocguwa Lutfare--You must learn Heocg!

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Chagen
runic
runic

Dah Heocguwa Lutfare--You must learn Heocg!

Post by Chagen »

So this is an idea I had banging around in my head for a while and I decided to finally get it going.

Unlike most threads here, I'm writing this as if it was actually being written by a Heocg person, to an Azen scholar who wishes to read Heocg's epics in their native language. However, I also wrote it so that you can skip all the fluff if you want. I'm trying not to drag on the flavor text too much, but it's fun to write as compared to a boring old grammar! I already have the Heocg thread for that.

Dah Heocguwa lutfare!--You must learn Heocg!

Welcome, students, to lessons in the language of epics, romance, drama, history, and adventure! On Thōselqat, they say that "Pazmat is what you learn to live by money, but Heocg is what you learn to live by passion". There's a good reason for that--the literary achievements of the Heocg are vast. It is us who wrote the world's first great epics--as they say here, Mionų sturoya yemut not, "The one which is first stands above all". We pioneered writing, and brought the power of the pen to the other countries on this planet. What we lack in military prowess, we sure make up for in literary prowess--what other country can say that it brought an attacking force's general to tears from poetry, and watched as he called off an invasion solely so such beautiful writing would not be destroyed and forgotten?

The Heocg epics, or Ghwoyibhu, are known to nearly everyone on Thōselqat, as they frequently pop up in the school system to be read in literature classes. But those are translations--and very translations can match the original. Take, for instance, the infamous line from Hacnas:

tǫ smut dau kruoraru meadirosar hukayo skarana salu dah lighatar snegau nǫppyegyu bak effṛyut qoðð reskuwa wų Warhlau bṛ?

And why should I look at you with even the slightest amount of respect when you cannot muster up enough strength to defeat even the pathetic weakling that is Warhlas?

Oh, the translation above captures SOME of the original passage, but it loses out so much. How can the translation capture how "smut" means not "why", but more "in regards to what (reason)", how "tǫ" is as much "and thus", or how "kruoraru" means "why MUST (I) look (at you)"?

Perhaps the translation "And thus, in regards to what (reason) must I see you with interest to myself using the smallest amount in regards to respect when you cannot summon enough strength for overcoming even the pathetic one who is Warhlas" would better capture the original, but as you can clearly see, it's pathetically stilted. Not to imply that Heocg is above any other language--no, after all a translation into Heocg of the Azenti epic Ani Mazzi Daccos Tol Benti Samjujja would lose much of the same feeling (though Writikų Writoyt certainly tried her best, and she must be commended on it)

Thus, it is required of the scholar, be they in Cryset, Chyffelb, Vzodyet, Pazmat, Azehar, Qeung, Sunago, Ngith, or any other place I have failed to mention, to learn the language of the Ghwoyibhu to fully appreciate them. Thankfully, the modern language has almost no differences--any Heocg off of the streets of Higcwaz could understand the above line with few difficulties.

Those from Azehar (such as you, presumably, dear reader) would also appreciate being able to understand the speech of the many Heocg immigrants in the country. We and the Azen are closely linked, though not genetically, and Heocg may be found all other the islands. The colloquial Azen lexicon features many words from Heocg, some as slang, some as full-on loanwords to the point where an Azen would be shocked to learn of their non-native orgin.

With that, let the lessons begin:

Note that it is assumed that the reader is already familiar with Heocg script (Sterbų). If you are not, it is highly suggested that you first begin by learning it. Suggestions for books on the subject are in the final chapter of this book. However, it should not be much of challenge, as the Azen use a modified version of it to write their language anyway.
Sounds:

To be able to read, first you must pronounce! While the epics are rarely read aloud today, being able to understand the unique sound of Heocg can be useful, and those wanting to speak with a native would find eliminating their accent to be useful (it is said, however, that the accent of a Azen man makes Heocg girls swoon, so you may find accent elimination to be detrimental, but never the less!)

Thankfully, not many aspects of Heocg pronunciation are hard, and for the Azen they will be even easier. We begin with the vowels.

Heocg vowels are as so:

/i u e o a iː uː eː oː aː/
<i u e o a į ų ę ǫ ą>

/ɛ æ y/
<eo ea y>

Unless the speech of the Azen, the Heocg does not worry about unusual vowel qualities as much. There are no unrounded back vowels, and only one unrounded front vowel. For the Azen tongue, the trickest parts of Heocg are the long vowels and /ɛ æ/. Long vowels must be held longer than their short ones, but maintain the same quality. It is easy to over-step and extend it for too long, but with practice it should be easy. /ɛ æ/ are trickier, but imagine /e/ but slightly lower and more "eh"-like, and /a/ but slightly higher. Capturing these nuances will be tricky, but as an Azen you are lucky in that there is almost always a Heocg nearby to practice.

Heocg vowels are ordered by height and frontness--thus the high front /i/ is first, while the low-front /a/ is final. Then the long vowels, in the same order.

Finally, the diphthongs--sequences of two vowels:

/uj ej oj aj ew aw/
<uy ey oy ay eu au>

These are not that difficult for the Azen tongue.

What WILL be difficult, however, is the fact that vowels can occur anywhere. Azenti, with it's unique restriction of rounded vowels after /j/ and unrounded ones after /h/, will prove difficult to overcome at first. One must take care to pronounce <yem> ("to be above") as [jem], not [jøm], as such a mistake will mark you as an Azen immediately. Likewise, <hytoy> ("much, many"), is [hytoj], NOT [hitoy]! It will take practice, but it is nothing impossible.

Finally, that most bizarre of vowels /ṛ/. Yes, a consonant, but a vowel. One of the most tricky parts of Heocg, this syllabic trill forms a vowel nucleus all by itself--gṛhom "cat", bhṛta "(I) fought", etc. It must be given a forceful trill, and do not add a vowel to ease pronunciation, for that sounds too much like <eor> or <er>, and not <ṛ>!

Now, the consonants of Heocg. They are ordered rather cleanly--by their place in the mouth, with labials first and uvulars last, and their degree of restriction (so approximants first, plosives last). First, the labial series:

/w m f p b bʰ/
<w m f p b bh>

All of these should be old hat except for /w/. Though the Azen write /v/ with the same letter in Sterbų, DO NOT pronounce it as /v/, unless you wish to be exposed as an Azen immediately. /w/ is a light approximant, much like your /u/ before vowels (do not believe me? Pronounce uas. and you will quickly see that it is pronounced [was] and not [uas]--we have borrowed your words with /w/ for /u/ frequently--Azenti Zuotys to Heocg Swotys). If it is needed, mentally turn <wV> into <uV> until you get the hand of it. Also remember that <ue ui> are [ue ui], NOT [uy uø]!

However, do not discard [v] yet. In Heocg, it shows up as a frequent allophone to both /w f/--for /w/, before consonants (but not after!) and at the end of a word--writ "to love, ew "to exceed, be better than", rowd "to have sex" are [vrit ev rovd]. For /f/, it is voiced between vowels and before voiced consonants--thus Stayfu "boy" must be [stajvu:].

Next, the dental series:

/r~ɾ~ɻ l n s~z θ~ð ts dz t d dʰ/
<r l n s ð c z t d dh>

The trickiest part is the fact that the fricatives of this set all undergo voicing at certain times. The conditions are indeed, though, the same as /f/ up there--all of Heocg's fricatives are neutral in regards to voicing, and simply assimilate to voiced consonants while also voicing between vowels.

Do not pronounce /dz/ as /z/, despite the fact that Azenti Sterbų borrowed its letter to write /z/!

<r> may be pronounced in any of the three ways put above, but pronunciation as a tap is a mark of Azenti-influenced dialects, while as an alveolar trill it makes one sound like they stepped out of a Ghwoyibhu.

Finally, /ts dz/ after /s/ create quite the tricky clusters: /sts zdz/. They are simplified to [ʃ ʒ]. In Azenti these are allophones of /si zi/, and thus will be slightly annoying at first, but nothing that cannot be handled with practice.

Next, the palatal series:

/j tʃ dʒ/
<y cg gc>

Yes, <y> is both /j/ and /y/. It is rarely ambiguous, however. In any case, the last two--the affricates--will trip up the Azen tongue, which views them as being /ts dz/, the most. In Azenti, these two are allophones of the sequences /tsi dzi/, once again some practice and they will come to you.

The velar series is next:

/ŋ x k g gʰ/
<ng h k g gh>

Unlike the previous series there is nothing here worth mentioning besides /x/ voicing like all fricatives before voiced consonants and inbetween vowels. However, it sometimes does not--such failure to voice is one of the markers of a speaker hailing from the western area of Heocg.

One final consonant remains--the uvular stop, /q/ <q>. This is the only uvular in the language. It must be pronounced like /k/, but further back in the mouth, almost till one is choking (though be careful when producing it!). It is not very common (going by how many words it shows up in), but it does show up in the common words qoðes "to think" and muqqas "woman".
A final note: gemination of consonants is phonemic. The letter is doubled (in digraphs the first letter only is doubled).

Stress in Heocg is much like Azenti stress: in disyllabic words, the first syllable is stressed, while in words of 3 syllables or more, the second-to-last syllables is stressed.

With that, you now have the sounds of Heocg. They should come with some practice--it is highly suggested to search out a Heocg and let them be a tutor.

An exercise: What is the pronunciation, in IPA, of this following sentence? Do not mark stress. All <r>'s are alveolar trills (as this is a sentence from an epic). The sentence is:

bharam stat writoys nayoy bṛ laghoyyų bak uffṛyut ratrirð Matṛbhosa?

The answer:
Spoiler:
bʰaram stat vritojs najoj br̩ lagʰojːuː bak ufːr̩jut ratrirθ matr̩bʰosa
The translation of said sentence, by the way, is "Might it be that my love for her is strong enough to overcome the soldiers of Matṛbhas?", though a more literal one might be "Might it be that my love in regards to that (woman) is stronger for the future overcoming the soldiers of Matṛbhas?"

/////

Next I will go over nouns, mainly in regards to case and class.

Please point out any typos I may have made. Some always slip through the cracks...
Last edited by Chagen on 30 Nov 2013 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Click
runic
runic

Re: Dah Heocguwa Lutfare--You must learn Heocg!

Post by Click »

Chagen wrote:Please point out any typos I may have made. Some always slip through the cracks...
You asked, you get it.
Chagen wrote:Finally, /ts dz/ after /s/ create quite the tricky clusters: /tst zdz/. They are simplified to [ʃ ʒ]. In Azenti these are allophones of /si zi/, and thus will be slightly annoying at first, but nothing that cannot be handled with practice.
I'm pretty sure /tst/ should be /sts/, and I'm going to try my hand at IPAifying the sentence tomorrow because I have to study algebraic fractions and also study for the next week's five exams.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Thank you for pointing out the typo. Fixed.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

2: Nouns (and basic verbal morphology):

Now that you know how to pronounce, we must continue quickly. This is where the first difficulties with Heocg will come, especially
for the Azen, but if you are reading this then you almost certainly expected that.

Take a look at these sentences, and especially at the words "Stayfų", meaning "boy", and "Ųðras", meaning "girl":

Stayfų ųðrau kru
The boy sees the girl

Ųðras stayfuwa kru
The girl sees the boy

You should quickly notice that the two words do not appear to be the same in each sentence. In Heocg, words are inflected for their
role--they have case inflections. Azenti, in contrast, shies from such "tainting" of its words, and prefers to instead mark relations with
particles:

Agni lasca ibi rafi

Lasca agni ibi rafi

Azenti is markedly simpler than Heocg in this respect--the particle "ibi" is all one needs to mark the direct object. In Heocg, however,
there is a myriad of ways to mark the direct object, or, more technically, the accusative case. All of the following nouns are accusative singulars--the inflection is separated with a hyphen:

stayf-uwa "boy"
ųðr-au "girl"
keðnu-ka "tree"
mealf-a "honor"
spotoy-a "sun"
gṛh-ama "cat"

And there is not just Accusative and Nominative--Heocg has 7 such cases: Nominative, Accusative, Dative, Possessive, Genitive,
Vocative, and Instrumental. Don't shy from such large words, though. Each case shall come to you.

However, the amount of inflections one must learn will be daunting at first. Heocg splits its nouns into 6 declensions, as seen above.
Each one has dedicated inflections that differ from the others (though some, such as the dative, share similarities across multiple
inflections), and each is declined in the Singular, Dual, and Plural. All told, there are 126 inflections --(7 cases x 3 numbers) x 6
classes--for you to learn.

Do not balk, however. Some cases are rarer than others, and most of them follow a sort of pattern. For instance, take a look at the
Instrumental Singulars of the nouns above:

stayf-uyo "with a boy"
ųðr-ayo "with agirl"
keðnu-yo "with a tree"
mealf-oy "with honor"
spotoy-o "with the sun"
gṛh-ewo "with a cat"

One can already see that almost of the inflections are some variant of -Vy(o).

Adjectives are declined just like nouns, but only distinguish 3/4 classes with one extremely small exception. There are no
articles--"ųðras" can mean either "the girl" or "a girl". If such a distinction is truly needed, then a demonstrative can be used (
ųðrar stas
--"that/the girl"), but this is highly marked and stilted; even the Ghwoyibhu shied from it usually.

For now, we will concern ourselves with the Nominative, Accusative, and Genitive cases, as well as the first two classes of nouns: -u
stems, and -as stems.

These two stem classes form some of the common nouns in Heocg. -u stems are named because their NOM.SG terminations in -ų
(except when a vowel is in front, at which point the NOM.SG is in -u, such as Nemiu "book"; Heocg frowns upon trimoraic combinations). The -as stems are named for NOM.SG in -as. Some such words:

Stayfų "boy"
Ųðras "girl"
Muqqas "woman"
Wreccas "human, person"
Wudhų "voice"
Sterbų "marking, writing, script (for a language)"

Almost all adjectives that are not participles are one of these two classes:

knaų "fast"
smanas "funny, entertaining, amusing"
argas "bad"
tṛyų "final"

The terminations, in all three numbers, for the nominative and accusative are like so:

-ų stems:
Spoiler:
NOM.SG: -ų/u
NOM.DU: -ǫ/-o
NOM.PL: -ibhu*

ACC.SG: -uwa
ACC.DU: -ǫw/-ow
ACC.PL: -ibhoy*

*:In nouns of -iu such as Nemiu, the *-ii- collapses to -į; thus Nemįbhu and Nemįbhoy, not *Nemiibhu *Nemiibhoy
-as stems:
Spoiler:
NOM.SG: -as
NOM.DU: -amṛt
NOM.PL: -aði

ACC.SG: -au
ACC.DU: -amṛta
ACC.PL: -aðoy
The accusative is used to mark the direct object of an action (the idea of a direct object is rather wide in Heocg--destinations and
sometimes locations may be marked with the accusative). It has no other uses besides that.

Verbs, at least of now, are not highly complex. They may be used in the bare dictionary form to form a simple present tense
statement, that usually has a progressive aspect to it ("Stayfų gem" means both "the boy is running" and "the boy runs"). DO NOT
feel free to use verbs in the past or future tense. Heocg has over TEN ways of doing such (though they are not hard to learn) and those will be gone over separately.

One thing is worth clarifying, however: some verbs will listed as having -(es) attached to them, such as kru(es) "to see". These verbs may be used with the -es suffix or not (thus one can say both "kru" and "krues", both meaning "(X) sees"). The reason for why will have to wait. In normal everyday speech the suffix almost never shows up unless the verb is hard to pronounce without it (such as the verb "wach(es)", meaning "to recieve"; "wach" alone would be the difficult [watsx]). For now, use those verbs without the -es prefix; however Ghwoyibhu use it almost completely without fail, I should warn.

Now we have everything we need for simple sentences. In most sentences, Heocg is SOV. However, thanks to its case marking, it can also be OSV, or VSO, or...you see what I mean. Most sentences are verb-final, however.

Ųðras stukkau gem The girl runs to the city
Rakscau stayfų wan The boy hates (his) name

However, sometimes we wish to clarify nouns with adjectives. We wish to speak of not just a "boy", but a "fast boy", or a "funny
boy". This will require a new case: the Genitive. It is, without fail, one of the most important cases in Heocg. This one case will take
you VERY far.

First, the endings. The Heocg Genitive is noted by its use of -r and -ṛ:

-ų stems:
Spoiler:
GEN.SG: -ur
GEN.DU: -or
GEN.PL: -ibhṛ
-as stems:
Spoiler:
GEN.SG: -ar
GEN.DU: -amṛ
GEN.PL: -irð
The basic purpose of the genitive is to mark one noun (more word in general, but that shall wait) as being modified by another word.
In Heocg, a huge amount of words require the genitive, but the most salient use is probably with adjectives. Adjectives do not agree
with their nouns in Heocg. Rather, the noun is inflected to the genitive, and the adjective is then inflected to whatever case the noun would be. For example, taking an example sentence from before:

Rakscau stayfų wan The boy hates (his) name

Say we wish to say "the boy hates (his) funny name". We would take "Rakscau" and inflect it to the GEN.SG "Rakscar". Then we
take the word for "funny" ("smanas"), place it after "Rakscar", and inflect to the accusative (as it is modifying an accusative noun):

Rakscar smanau stayfų wan The boy hates (his) funny name

Nouns may modify one another like this as well, though a bahuvrihi is usually preferred in this instance. Remember that the
adjectives never changes its class to agree with the noun--"fast boy" and "fast girl" are stayfur knaų and ųðrar knaų.
Thankfully, as said before, almost all adjectives are either -ų stems or -as stems.

Not just adjectives require the genitive. Many of Heocg's pronouns do as well. For instance, all demonstratives take them. For
example, using the word "wreccas" inflected to the genitive plural "wreccirð":

wreccirð staði "these people"
wreccirð naði "those people (near me)"
wreccirð yaði "those people (near you)"
wreccirð scaði "those people (away from both of us)"
wreccirð heofaði "some of the people"
wreccirð stųray "all of the people"
wreccirð oyyowa "any of the people"
wreccirð uraði "half of the people
wreccirð cruwibhu "most of the people"

This is not even close to being an extensive list. "stųray" and "oyyowa" there are NOM.PL's of words belonging to classes I have not
gone over yet.

To give an example of how frequent the Gentive is, take this passage, again from Hacnas. Every single genitive used is bolded:

"payanor sturaya ṛstayh sið tyhu kruahu lighitar sayas payantit. tǫ Warhlas ghakur turut noytyagyu praðayo"

The translation is "Burn all of them so that our strength will be made self-evident to them. Then Wahrlas will not be able to stand
truthfully for his people."

There is more to discuss, but that is for the next lesson. For now: Exercises.

Excercise 1: Translate these sentences into Heocg. Make all sentences SOV.

Some words

Stayfų "boy"
Ųðras "girl"
Muqqas "woman"
Wreccas "human, person"
Wudhų "voice"
Sterbų "marking, writing, script (for a language), (school) paper"
Macgas "moon"
Praðas "truth"
Ratras "soldier, warrior"
Stukkas "city"

knaų "fast"
smanas "funny, entertaining, amusing"
argas "bad"
tṛyų "final"
baðų "slow"
hacnas "happy"
reskų "pathetic"
meadas "small, cute"

Sentences:
Spoiler:
1. The girl loves the moon (to love = writ)

2. The soldier hears two voices (to hear = roð)

3. The moon shines over the city (to shine over =tṛwk)

4. The happy boy fucks the amusing girl (to fuck = wṛsk)

5. The final two people get tired (to get tired = modh)
Excercise 2: Translate these sentences from Heocg to English:
Spoiler:
1. Stayfǫ wreccaðoy budd (budd = to count)

2. Muqqar argas praðar tṛyuwa roð

3. Stayfų stayfur meadau wṛsk

4. Ųðraði sterbur reskuwa ghu (ghu = to write)
/////////

There's that, see you next time!
Plusquamperfekt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Plusquamperfekt »

1. The girl loves the moon (to love = writ)
Spoiler:
Ųðras macgau writ.
2. The soldier hears two voices (to hear = roð)
Spoiler:
Ratras wudhǫw roð.
3. The moon shines over the city (to shine over =tṛwk)
Spoiler:
Macgas stukkau tṛwk.
4. The happy boy fucks the amusing girl
Spoiler:
Stayfur hacnas ųðrar smanau wṛsk.
5. The final two people get tired.
Spoiler:
Wreccamṛ tṛyǫ modh.

It would be very helpful if you glossed your example sentences. Furthermore it would be nice to have all forms which you need to accomplish a task in one table (i.e. nominative, genitive and accusative of the u-class and the -as class in one table) ;)
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

All of those are correct!
It would be very helpful if you glossed your example sentences.
Ah, perhaps I will do that. My main source of how to do this is my Sanskrit book by Micheal Coulson (like me, he introduced only a few noun classes and cases at the beginning), and he glosses nothing except for when a sentence literally translated is an idiom.
Furthermore it would be nice to have all forms which you need to accomplish a task in one table (i.e. nominative, genitive and accusative of the u-class and the -as class in one table) ;)
Ah, yeah, I probably should do that. I'll make sure for the next lessons (which'll probably be over the NOM/ACC/GEN of some more noun classes, then after that I'll introduce some pronouns)
Ambrisio
greek
greek

Post by Ambrisio »

Spoiler:
1. Stayfǫ wreccaðoy budd (budd = to count)
The two boys count the people

2. Muqqar argas praðar tṛyuwa roð
The bad woman hear the final truth

3. Stayfų stayfur meadau wṛsk
The boy has sex with the cute boy

4. Ųðraði sterbur reskuwa ghu (ghu = to write)
The girls write a pathetic paper
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

All of those are correct!

Sorry for the lack of lessons guys, I've been scrambling to finish my coursework. Glad to see that my work is not wasted, but I'd make these even if no one else cared.
threecat
sinic
sinic

Post by threecat »

Excellent work. Just remember to finish up your lessons.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

The last post in this thread was over a year ago. I found the so-called "boring old grammar" thread (which I'll read sometime after posting this), and it looks like that was last updated around the same time. But even taking that into account, this looked cool so I decided to give it a shot.

Chagen, I'm guessing you might have gotten bored with Heocg and moved on to other languages, and that's fine; I understand completely. You don't have to answer any of these questions or respond at all if you don't want to. Actually, I think I'll keep the questions to myself for now. If you see this, and would be willing to answer/interested in answering at least some of the questions that came to me while reading this thread, post a reply of some sort and I'll ask them, but don't feel obliged to respond if you'd personally prefer to keep Heocg a project of the past for one reason or another. [:D]

Lesson 1:
Spoiler:
Bharam stat writoys nayoy bṛ laghoyyų bak uffṛyut ratrirð Matṛbhosa?
/bʰaram stat vritojs najoj br̩ lagʰojːuː bak ufːr̩jut ratrirθ matr̩bʰosa/
Lesson 2:
Spoiler:
Excercise 1: Translate these sentences into Heocg. Make all sentences SOV.

1. The girl loves the moon (to love = writ) Ųðras macgau writ.
2. The soldier hears two voices (to hear = roð) Ratras wudhǫw roð.
3. The moon shines over the city (to shine over =tṛwk) Macgas stukkau tṛwk.
4. The happy boy fucks the amusing girl (to fuck = wṛsk) Stayfur hacnas ųðrar smanau wṛsk.
5. The final two people get tired (to get tired = modh) Wreccamṛ tṛyǫ modh.

Excercise 2: Translate these sentences from Heocg to English:

1. Stayfǫ wreccaðoy budd (budd = to count) The two boys count the people.
2. Muqqar argas praðar tṛyuwa roð The bad woman hears the final truth.
3. Stayfų stayfur meadau wṛsk The boy fucks the cute boy.
4. Ųðraði sterbur reskuwa ghu (ghu = to write) The girls write a pathetic school paper.