Language practice thread

A forum dedicated to the studying of natural languages and for discussions in languages other than English.
Clio
sinic
sinic

Re: Language practice thread

Post by Clio »

Sobre o imperfeito: (Não sou um falante nativo do espanhol, mas eu interpreto um deles na televisão.) O imperfeito é uma maravilha do sistema espanhol de tempo, mas eu posso compreender os problemas que vocês têm. O uso como «used to» é muito comum, mas «used to» não é totalmente suficiente--o imperfeito também indica uma descrição no passado, um estado mental duradouro e outras informações relevantes sobre o passado. «Cuando era jovén, me gustaba nadar», por exemplo. A propósito, Thrice Xandviii, você tem que escrever um agudo sobre o «a» penúltimo das formas de «nosotros»: trabajábamos &c.
About the imperfect: (I am not a native Spanish speaker, but I play one on TV.) The imperfect is a wonder of the Spanish tense system, but I can understand the problems you have. The use as "used to" is very common, but "used to" isn't totally sufficient--the imperfect also indicates a description in the past, a long-lasting mental state, and other basic information about the past. "When I was young, I liked to swim," for example (not quite "When I used to be young, I used to like to swim"). By the way, Thrice Xandvii, you need to write an acute accent on the penultimate "a" of the "nosotros" forms: trabajábamos &c.

Sobre "tampoco": Essa palavra existe sem dúvida em espanhol (vejam bem estas frases famosas de Salvador Dalí, «Picasso es pintor. Yo también. Picasso es español. Yo también. Picasso es comunista. Yo tampoco.»). Mas me surpreende que «tampouco» não exista em português--eu tenho notado isto.
About "tampoco": This word certainly exists in Spanish (note this famous saying by Salvador Dalí, "Picasso is a painter. Me too. Picasso is Spanish. Me too. Picasso is a communist. Me neither.") But I'm surprised that "tampouco" doesn't exist in Portuguese--I've made a note of this.

@Squall: É que meu português é compreensível? Por favor, corrija meus erros!
@Squall: Is my Portuguese comprehensible? Please correct my errors!
Last edited by Clio on 20 Apr 2015 03:38, edited 2 times in total.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

shimobaatar wrote:Sé que se la usa en palabras como "pingüino" y "nicaragüense", pero necesité buscar una palabra española para "distinguish", y Wiktionary me dio "distinguir", sin una diéresis. Pero definitivamente sabes mejor que yo, y absolutamente no estoy seguro si "distinguir" o "distingüir" es correcto. [:S]
I know that you use it in words like "pingüino" and "nicaragüense", but I needed to look up a Spanish word for "distinguish", and Wiktionary gave me "distinguir", without an umlaut/diaeresis/trema. But you definitely know better than I do, and I'm not sure at all whether "distinguir" or "distingüir" is correct.
La <u> en «distinguir» no se pronuncia, se utiliza aquí sólo para preservar la <g> dura y no se halla en la primera persona (distingo) ni en las formas subjuntivas (distinga, distingas...). Pues no se necesita ninguna diéresis en este caso.
The <u> in "distinguir" is not pronounced, is used here only to keep the hard <g>, and is not found in the first person (distingo) or in the subjunctive forms (distinga, distingas...). So you don't need any dieresis in this instance.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Clio wrote:Sobre o imperfeito: (Não sou um falante nativo do espanhol, mas eu interpreto um deles na televisão.) O imperfeito é uma maravilha do sistema espanhol de tempo, mas eu posso compreender os problemas que vocês têm. O uso como "used to" é muito comum, mas "used to" não é totalmente suficiente--o imperfeito também indica uma descrição no passado, um estado mental duradouro e outras informações relevantes sobre o passado. "Cuando era jovén, me gustaba nadar," por exemplo. A propósito, Thrice Xandviii, você tem que escrever um agudo sobre o "a" penúltimo das formas de "nosotros": trabajábamos &c.
About the imperfect: (I am not a native Spanish speaker, but I play one on TV.) The imperfect is a wonder of the Spanish tense system, but I can understand the problems you have. The use as "used to" is very common, but "used to" isn't totally sufficient--the imperfect also indicates a description in the past, a long-lasting mental state, and other basic information about the past. "When I was young, I liked to swim," for example (not quite "When I used to be young, I used to like to swim"). By the way, Thrice Xandvii, you need to write an acute accent on the penultimate "a" of the "nosotros" forms: trabajábamos &c.

Sobre "tampoco": Essa palavra existe sem dúvida em espanhol (vejam bem estas frases famosas de Salvador Dalí, "Picasso es pintor. Yo también. Picasso es español. Yo también. Picasso es comunista. Yo tampoco."). Mas me surpreende que "tampouco" não exista em português--eu tenho notado isto.
About "tampoco": This word certainly exists in Spanish (note this famous saying by Salvador Dalí, "Picasso is a painter. Me too. Picasso is Spanish. Me too. Picasso is a communist. Me neither.") But I'm surprised that "tampouco" doesn't exist in Portuguese--I've made a note of this.

'Tampouco'がある、ポルトガル語では、しゃべっていたら聞こえないけど。古典文学を読めば一部のを見つけると思う。
'Tampouco' exists in Portuguese, but you won't hear it in a conversation. If you read classical literature i think you'll find some.

Clio wrote:@Squall: É que Meu português é compreensível? Por favor, corrija meus erros!
@Squall: Is my Portuguese comprehensible? Please correct my errors!
Squallじゃないけど、僕もブラジル人だ。その文は唯一の変なのだ。この'É que'は不必要だ。
Not Squall, but i'm also Brazilian. This phrase is the only weird one. That 'É que' is unnecessary.

Clioのポルトガル語は、自然になれる、でも完璧に理解できる。
As for your Portuguese, it could be more natural, but it is perfectly comprehensible.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Sḿtuval wrote:Pienso que <ll> [d͡ʒ~ʒ] es yeísmo. A veces oigo personas que dicen /ʒ~ʝ/ y /j/ como fueran lo mismo.
I think <ll> [d͡ʒ~ʒ] is yeísmo. Sometimes I hear people who say /ʒ~ʝ/ and /j/ as if they were the same.
Sí, estoy bastante seguro que es yeísmo. También oigo personas a veces que no distinguen entre /ʒ~ʝ/ y /j/
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's yeísmo. I also hear people sometimes who don't distinguish between /ʒ~ʝ/ and /j/.

日本語は全然話せない。
Nihongo wa zenzen hanasenai.
I can't speak Japanese at all.

Das ist offenbar nicht die komplette Wahrheit, aber ich hoffe, dass ihr versteht, was ich gemeint habe.
That's obviously not entirely the truth, but I hope you understand what I meant.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

一个中国本地人*告诉我因为“试”和“是”都的发音一样,所以要说“试试”,不说“试”,可是这个网站有用“试”的例句。可以不可以用“试”?
A native Chinese person* told me that because "试" and "是" are pronounced the same, you have to say "试试" instead of "试", but this website has example sentences that use "试". Can I use "试"?

*中文怎么说“native speaker”?
*How do you say "native speaker" in Chinese?
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

Héltu virkilega að þetta gamla spjallborð gæti tekist á við kínverska stafa í tengli? [;)]
Did you really think that these old boards would be able to handle Chinese characters in a link?
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

GrandPiano wrote:一个中国本地人*告诉我因为“试”和“是”都的发音一样,所以要说“试试”,不说“试”,可是这个网站有用“试”的例句。可以不可以用“试”?
A native Chinese person* told me that because "试" and "是" are pronounced the same, you have to say "试试" instead of "试", but this website has example sentences that use "试". Can I use "试"?
取决语境吧。
Depends on context.

那些例句中只有两句以‘试’字为动词。
Of those example sentences, only two use "试" as a verb.

1. 她在试一件外衣。
She's trying on a coat.
Spoiler:
Has the progressive 在 in it, so can't misinterpret 是 here.
2. 试从不同的角度来看这件事。
Try looking at the affair from a different angle.
Spoiler:
This one feels a little more context-bound to me on the spoken level, but it should be okay. If there's any question of it being misinterpreted, one can always stick a 着 in there and remove all doubt:

从不同的角度来看这件事。

So the short answer is: yes, you can do it in certain contexts. But as you native informant suggests, it's better to hedge your bets with something like 试着,试试,or 试图.
*中文怎么说“native speaker”?
*How do you say "native speaker" in Chinese?
以汉语为母语的人
native Chinese speaker

以英语为母语的人
native English speaker
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

Lao Kou wrote:以汉语为母语的人
native Chinese speaker

以英语为母语的人
native English speaker
Tomé un minuto para ver la diferencia.
It took me a minute to see the difference.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

yerli İngilizce konuşmacı çünkü ... haha
Because you are a native English speaker...haha
g

o

n

e
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I don't want to discourage you, but there are a few mistakes her based on too-literal translation.
loglorn wrote:ポルトガル語にも'Tampouco'があるけど、会話ではないけど。古典文学を読めばときどき出てくると思う。
'Tampouco' exists in Portuguese, but you won't hear it in a conversation. If you read classical literature i think you'll find some.
Keep "in Portuguese" within the clause
with ある, location is marked with に, not で
聞こえる means "be heard" in the sense of "be audible"
I added 書 so that it means actual texts, not just the idea of literature in general
一部 means "some" in the sense of one piece or part of a larger whole, not in the sense of several or a few, so it doesn't fit here.
loglorn wrote:Squallじゃないけど、僕もブラジル人だ。この文章だけがおかしい。この'É que'は要らない
Not Squall, but i'm also Brazilian. This phrase is the only weird one. That 'É que' is unnecessary.

Clioのポルトガル語は、自然だけど、完璧に理解できる。
As for your Portuguese, it could be more natural, but it is perfectly comprehensible.
唯一 is a little too extreme here. Like "the one and only" or "the sole"
"it could be more natural" is a pretty English turn of phrase. I have changed it a bit. 完璧に理解できる is a bit weird, but I don't think it's wrong exactly, so I've left it. Something like 問題なく instead of 完璧に might be better.

Don't forget that conjunctions go on the end of a preceding clause.

I hope these corrections will help you and not disappoint you.
Last edited by clawgrip on 21 Apr 2015 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

Í þræði eins og þessum finnst mér ekkert annað rétt en að hjálpa. Ekkert slæmt í því.
In a thread like this one I don't think anything but helping is the right thing to do. That's not a bad thing.
Last edited by Prinsessa on 21 Apr 2015 13:40, edited 2 times in total.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Lao Kou wrote:以汉语为母语的人
native Chinese speaker

以英语为母语的人
native English speaker
また「为」が現れてきた。中国語が全く分からない人の刺青みたいな感じだ。なんだけど本物の漢字だ。
"为" makes another appearance. It looks like what someone who doesn't know any Chinese gets as a tattoo. Except it is a real Chinese character.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Prinsessa wrote:Í þræði eins og þessum finnst mér ekkert annað rétt en að hjálpa. Ekkert slæmt í því.
In a thread like this one I don't think anything but helping is the right thing to do. That's not a bad thing.
我同意。
I agree.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

clawgrip wrote:また「为」が現れてきた。中国語が全く分からない人の刺青みたいな感じだ。なんだけど本物の漢字だ。
"为" makes another appearance. It looks like what someone who doesn't know any Chinese gets as a tattoo. Except it is a real Chinese character.
討厭的小「为」字! [>:D]
Horrid little ""!

我昨晚沒時間把簡體改成繁體。
I didn't have time last night to change simplified over to traditional.

以漢語為母語的人
native Chinese speaker

以英語為母語的人
native English speaker

那好多了! [:)]
There, much better.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Runomso
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Runomso »

食べるりんごを。 食べる犬を。
(I) eat (an) apple. (I) eat (a) dog. [O.O]

Ahora quiero comer pero tengo hambre.
Now I want to eat because I'm hungry.
native: German
know good: English
learning: Spanish
interested in: Japanese

My conlang: Ukiku
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

El orden de las palabras en japonés es generalmente sujeto-objeto-verbo.
Word order in Japanese is generally subject-object-verb.

Ich würde deine zwei Sätze so sagen:
I'd say your two sentences like this:

りんごを食べる。 犬を食べる。
Ringo o taberu. Inu o taberu.
I eat an apple. I eat a dog.

Diese Sätze sind wahrscheinlich noch falsch, oder mindestens klingen sie künstlich, weil sie so einfach sind, und vielleicht auch weil ich kein grammatikalisches Thema benutzt habe.
These sentences are probably still wrong, or they at least sound artificial, since they're so simple, and maybe also because I didn't use grammatical topic.

Espero que unas otras personas pueden ayudarnos.
I hope that some other people can help us.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
kilenc
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kilenc »

Runomso wrote:食べるりんごを。 食べる犬を。
(I) eat (an) apple. (I) eat (a) dog. [O.O]

Ahora quiero comer pero tengo hambre.
no hablo japonés y por eso no puedo darte mi opinión de la frase. pero, puedo aconsejarte acerca de la de español: quieres "porque," no "pero," porque "pero" significa "but" y "porque" significa "because."

i don't speak spanish so i can't give you my opinion on the sentence. but, i can give you advice about the spanish frase: you want "porque," not "pero," because "pero" means "but" & "porque" means "because"
eventually ill work out a good conlang :)
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

りんごを食べる。 犬を食べる。
Ringo o taberu. Inu o taberu.
I eat an apple. I eat a dog.
These have a chance of being right, considering just how pro-drop Japanese is.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

Hljómar eins og japönskuna sem ég hef heyrt.
Se kuulostaa japanilta jota mä olen kuullut.
Sounds like the Japanese I've heard.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Runomso wrote:Ahora quiero comer pero tengo hambre.
Pourquoi tu as faim?
Why are you hungry?

Moi je n'ai pas faim, alors je ne vais rien manger.
I'm not hungry, so I'm not going to eat anything.

Tu as trouvé quelque chose à manger?
Did you find something to eat?