Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Tuyono »

I hope this is the right place to ask. Anyway, Is there a way to delete an old thread?
I made one for my conlang Źilaa Ruńu long ago, then realized it was far from ready for presenting. Then I didn't post anything and what little is there is mostly not relevant anymore (I'm still working on that project, just slowly).
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Tuyono wrote: 19 Oct 2018 23:46 I hope this is the right place to ask. Anyway, Is there a way to delete an old thread?
I made one for my conlang Źilaa Ruńu long ago, then realized it was far from ready for presenting. Then I didn't post anything and what little is there is mostly not relevant anymore (I'm still working on that project, just slowly).
IIRC, the only way to delete a full thread is for a Mod to do it (I'm not sure, but I'd assume deleting the first post doesn't work). If you want it deleted then we can, I think, but we tend to just leave them there. If it's a dead thread, then it's a dead thread, just start a new one when you have something more "complete" to present, or use your original thread and say everything above it is outdated [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Though if you really do want to get rid of the thread, Tuyono, it helps that you're the only commenter in it. You should be able to delete the posts in reverse order.
Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono »

sangi39 wrote: 20 Oct 2018 01:03
Tuyono wrote: 19 Oct 2018 23:46 I hope this is the right place to ask. Anyway, Is there a way to delete an old thread?
IIRC, the only way to delete a full thread is for a Mod to do it (I'm not sure, but I'd assume deleting the first post doesn't work). If you want it deleted then we can, I think, but we tend to just leave them there. If it's a dead thread, then it's a dead thread, just start a new one when you have something more "complete" to present, or use your original thread and say everything above it is outdated [:)]
OK thanks! I guess I'll just leave it.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to write this but I found no better place.

I would like to ask Aszev and the mods if it would be a big trouble to install a phpBB plugin that allows you to "like" posts.

We are a forum where people show off their work and nothing is as discouraging as receiving no feedback whatsoever. However, you often have nothing to say about a thread other than "I like this" - so you just say nothing. As a result, a given thread may be enjoyed by several people but have no comments whatsoever. Being able to press "like" to show your support and enjoyment would go a long way toward encouraging more content on the forum. I used to participate in a forum that did have that functionality, and it worked really well.
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

I thought about this as well recently so I would welcome the addition of such a feature, too.
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

For whatever it's worth, I believe this has been brought up at least once before.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

shimobaatar wrote: 23 Feb 2019 12:02 For whatever it's worth, I believe this has been brought up at least once before.
And I even participated in the discussion which I completely forgot. Thanks for linking this. The mods didn't even deign that thread with a comment so I guess that's that.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote: 23 Feb 2019 18:15
shimobaatar wrote: 23 Feb 2019 12:02 For whatever it's worth, I believe this has been brought up at least once before.
And I even participated in the discussion which I completely forgot. Thanks for linking this. The mods didn't even deign that thread with a comment so I guess that's that.
I'd forgotten about that too!

I don't think I've changed my opinion about it either. I'd much rather have actual feedback or discussion or questions about whatever I post than a numeric up/down vote system.

Ah, but then we come back to the old problem (of which I am guilty!) of not always or consistently replying to others' efforts. Pretty discouraging, actually.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

elemtilas wrote: 23 Feb 2019 23:14 Ah, but then we come back to the old problem (of which I am guilty!) of not always or consistently replying to others' efforts. Pretty discouraging, actually.
My point exactly. The ratio of likes to actual posts was always like 5:1 on the other forum. I'm sure a lot of threads here would've been continued for longer if those people knew someone was following along.
Last edited by gestaltist on 24 Feb 2019 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I’d like a like button. I’d like to like things.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

A like button could be useful, but no dislike button. That would just spread discord.

A like button is a good way to show that you've read and appreciated someone's post without having to make a token response. Otherwise it may look like you've ignored the post.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 24 Feb 2019 19:16 A like button could be useful, but no dislike button. That would just spread discord.

A like button is a good way to show that you've read and appreciated someone's post without having to make a token response. Otherwise it may look like you've ignored the post.
I went to “like” the above post, then realized I don’t have a “like” button yet ...
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote: 24 Feb 2019 16:45
elemtilas wrote: 23 Feb 2019 23:14 Ah, but then we come back to the old problem (of which I am guilty!) of not always or consistently replying to others' efforts. Pretty discouraging, actually.
My point exactly. The ratio of likes to actual posts was always like 5:1 on the other forum. I'm sure a lot of threads here would've been continued for longer if those people knew someone was following along.
Good point that. Perhaps a like button would be better than nothing.
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

I personally don't care for like buttons as I feel like it gives an unnecessary level of competition to make a "good thread" rather than to just have genuine human conversation. However, if there were to be a like button, there definitely should NOT be a dislike button. Dislike buttons are probably one of the most toxic and unconstructive forms of criticism ever devised by man. It also leads to people getting disliked not because they said something dislikeable, but because people don't like them.

I think that the best way to show someone you "like" their thread or post is to create a post saying what about it and why you liked it. This, along with constructive criticism and asking questions is a far better system than simply hitting a button. Its also more in line with what a forum is for: discussion.
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I think Aszev would have to do the work on that one, but I'm sort of 50/50 on a "like" button as a feature.

On the one hand, I prefer actual feedback (what someone liked, where someone thought things could have been better, and the like), so a "like" button could lead to a decrease in actual comments (maybe).

On the other hand, as others have said, being able to see that someone has read and then "liked" your post, especially in your own thread, can be a good sign, even if nothing's actually being said. I know at least a few times we've had newer members ask about lack of feedback, to be told that sometimes we don't comment precisely because there's nothing more we can add to the topic other than "looks good" (I know at least some of my own topics don't get much more than that, if anything at all).

I think I'd be happy with one, but if we did get it, I'd really like to see people still writing out full posts in response as well. Seeing that someone has "liked" your stuff doesn't tell you why they hit that button.

And, yeah, no "dislike" option (unless we really, really have to, maybe because the Board can't be set up to just have a "like" button).
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Corphishy wrote: 05 Mar 2019 00:52 I personally don't care for like buttons as I feel like it gives an unnecessary level of competition to make a "good thread" rather than to just have genuine human conversation. However, if there were to be a like button, there definitely should NOT be a dislike button. Dislike buttons are probably one of the most toxic and unconstructive forms of criticism ever devised by man. It also leads to people getting disliked not because they said something dislikeable, but because people don't like them.
A good point, though I daresay folks hereabouts are not so juvenile in that direction. Ironically, I don't think a like button only would result in "likes" simply because people like the person.

Me still not convinced of their utility, though gestaltist did make a good point.
I think that the best way to show someone you "like" their thread or post is to create a post saying what about it and why you liked it. This, along with constructive criticism and asking questions is a far better system than simply hitting a button. Its also more in line with what a forum is for: discussion.
This I agree with, though mirror the recent exchange in this thread: yes this is ideal, and yes we often express intention to offer actual comment; the reality is very, very many substantive posts simply go unresponded to.

Am beginning to think either way is a lose-lose situation. While "likes" serve as a temporary endorphin generator, the reality is they don't actually tell a poster anything. The thing that is most meaningful for any of us, whether in the language or culture forums, is discussion & question. And that's something that doesn't happen with great frequency in my experience.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

sangi39 wrote: 05 Mar 2019 02:44 I think Aszev would have to do the work on that one, but I'm sort of 50/50 on a "like" button as a feature.
I actually PMed him a while back to bring this thread to his attention but he still didn't open the PM. Either he's flooded with messages or not around much. I'm not holding my breath for any changes.
elemtilas wrote: 05 Mar 2019 03:01 The thing that is most meaningful for any of us, whether in the language or culture forums, is discussion & question. And that's something that doesn't happen with great frequency in my experience.
This is an issue in all conlanging and conworlding communities I've seen. People are way more keen to share their creations than to spend the time required to get to know what others have created. I find it a pity since reading others' ideas is the best way to expand your own vision but I'm not naive enough to think I can fight against human nature and win.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

gestaltist wrote: 05 Mar 2019 20:33
sangi39 wrote: 05 Mar 2019 02:44 I think Aszev would have to do the work on that one, but I'm sort of 50/50 on a "like" button as a feature.
I actually PMed him a while back to bring this thread to his attention but he still didn't open the PM. Either he's flooded with messages or not around much. I'm not holding my breath for any changes.
Sorry about that! I do check in regularly, but I'll sometimes skip logging in, thus not seeing PMs.

I do like the idea of a like function. The issue is that it's not a built-in feature of phpbb, meaning that we first have to find a suitable addon for it (not necessarily a major issue) and then hope that it's being updated as newer versions of phpbb are released. It's primarily the latter which I see as problematic. We've had addons on the forum in the past that we just had to get rid of due to them not being updated along with the board. But I'll try to find some time to look into it! In any case, I apologize for the lack of communication on my part.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

When I make an attempt to respond to someone using their own conlang as my means of discourse, imagine that as me smashing my own version of the big red "Like Button" . [:P]