Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by DesEsseintes »

How do you type zero-width space on an iPhone I should google it shouldn’t I??
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

DesEsseintes wrote: 24 Nov 2017 08:40 How do you type zero-width space on an iPhone I should google it shouldn’t I??
Wikipedia > copy > paste
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Just copy and paste from my post...I used two of them (only really needed one).
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Code: Select all

I use the code handle for when I need to write things like [s]. It treats everything inside as plain text.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

sangi39 wrote: 24 Nov 2017 01:18
Shemtov wrote: 24 Nov 2017 01:12 I can't post about phonetic [ s ] without those ungodly spaces, because otherwise, the board's code takes it as a strikeout. Given the heavy Linguistics leanings of this board, can Aszev do anything? If not can he complain to phpBB, because this is a big problem?
I noticed the same thing when I going through the my "Languages of Yantas" thread. I knew it could happen with [ i ], [ u ] and [ b ] before the update, but has [ s ] only become an issue since the update?
No, the strikethrough code has been there for several years! (Not unlike many other issues that have been "discovered" after the update.. [:P] )

I agree it's kinda dumb on a language forum to not be able to use square brackets without them triggering style changes. I believe it would be possible to change them, so that bold instead was [bold][/bold] and so on. But then the formatting code would be more annoying (read: longer) to type, for those that do that. I don't know what would be preferable overall. Input?
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

One could use two letter codes for that, but that doesn't fix it 100% of the time. [it], [ul], and [bd], maybe?
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I like the zero-width space idea.

I sometimes use pipe symbols inside the brackets, like [|b|]. I prefer the zero-width idea, but at least with pipes theyre easier to type on a mobile phone. I got the idea from the ZBB, where there was once a tradition of just using the pipe symbol by itself, and I think using curly braces { } for the angle-brackets. Or it mightve been the other way around. Either one works, but it can be confusing if the reader isnt aware beforehand of the nonstandard notation, so I definitely like the zero-width space idea.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Aszev wrote: 24 Nov 2017 19:35
sangi39 wrote: 24 Nov 2017 01:18
Shemtov wrote: 24 Nov 2017 01:12 I can't post about phonetic [ s ] without those ungodly spaces, because otherwise, the board's code takes it as a strikeout. Given the heavy Linguistics leanings of this board, can Aszev do anything? If not can he complain to phpBB, because this is a big problem?
I noticed the same thing when I going through the my "Languages of Yantas" thread. I knew it could happen with [ i ], [ u ] and [ b ] before the update, but has [ s ] only become an issue since the update?
No, the strikethrough code has been there for several years! (Not unlike many other issues that have been "discovered" after the update.. [:P] )

I agree it's kinda dumb on a language forum to not be able to use square brackets without them triggering style changes. I believe it would be possible to change them, so that bold instead was [bold][/bold] and so on. But then the formatting code would be more annoying (read: longer) to type, for those that do that. I don't know what would be preferable overall. Input?
A workaround is use a code block, that way you don't end up with spaces.

Code: Select all

[s], [i], [u], [b]
A more interesting alternative, and perhaps rather more glossopoetic in nature, is to simply create invented languages without those four offending sounds!
Pabappa
greek
greek

Tables

Post by Pabappa »

Is it still possible to use a table in BBCode, or any other way? The link in the tutorial post is not working now so I dont know what was once there. I made viewtopic.php?f=6&t=960&p=269020#p269020 <--- this post earlier and it's a mess because I couldnt get the board to parse the table code, even when I took out all of the newlines as proposed on the phpBB developer forum.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

The forum doesn't support table tags. You can make a table in another program, like Excel, and post a screenshot of it; or you can make a table in a code block, a process I described here.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Dormouse559 wrote: 28 Nov 2017 03:03 The forum doesn't support table tags. You can make a table in another program, like Excel, and post a screenshot of it; or you can make a table in a code block, a process I described here.
OK thanks. I can use screenshots. Still, to the answer the person in that thread, phpBB *does* support tables, and there is a thread here from 2013 with a link showing how to put tables in posts, which unfortunately doesnt load anymore. However maybe that method was not phpBB.

viewtopic.php?p=251095#p132306 <--- Xonen's post from 2013.

Thanks again. My only recommendation is for someone to post somewhere in that thread a clarification about tables so that other people new to the forum wont get confused like I did.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Pabappa wrote: 28 Nov 2017 04:57OK thanks. I can use screenshots. Still, to the answer the person in that thread, phpBB *does* support tables, and there is a thread here from 2013 with a link showing how to put tables in posts, which unfortunately doesnt load anymore. However maybe that method was not phpBB.

viewtopic.php?p=251095#p132306 <--- Xonen's post from 2013.
That post was explaining the screenshot method. The tip-off is the (now out-of-date) advice on Dropbox image hosting.

While phpBB does support table tags, the CBB in particular does not. Why that is, though, is above my pay grade.

Pabappa wrote:Thanks again. My only recommendation is for someone to post somewhere in that thread a clarification about tables so that other people new to the forum wont get confused like I did.
Will look into restoring the tutorial. We had a good gig going until Dropbox stopped hosting images.
Vlürch
greek
greek

Post by Vlürch »

Aszev wrote:I agree it's kinda dumb on a language forum to not be able to use square brackets without them triggering style changes. I believe it would be possible to change them, so that bold instead was [bold][/bold] and so on. But then the formatting code would be more annoying (read: longer) to type, for those that do that. I don't know what would be preferable overall. Input?
I'd prefer to be able to just type the letter inside brackets without it messing up the entire post, since it's much faster and is probably used more often than bold or italics or strikethroughs and whatnot. Using a zero-width space or any other workaround would work if they were commonly used, but they're not, so someone having to explain to everyone every time they italicise or bold a post because they didn't know that it gets messed up like that would take time and most people would probably forget how it was avoided in the first place or that it even has to be avoided...
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I often use boldface, italics and underlined text. Especially italics.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Vlürch wrote: 29 Nov 2017 12:33
Aszev wrote:I agree it's kinda dumb on a language forum to not be able to use square brackets without them triggering style changes. I believe it would be possible to change them, so that bold instead was [bold][/bold] and so on. But then the formatting code would be more annoying (read: longer) to type, for those that do that. I don't know what would be preferable overall. Input?
I'd prefer to be able to just type the letter inside brackets without it messing up the entire post, since it's much faster and is probably used more often than bold or italics or strikethroughs and whatnot. Using a zero-width space or any other workaround would work if they were commonly used, but they're not, so someone having to explain to everyone every time they italicise or bold a post because they didn't know that it gets messed up like that would take time and most people would probably forget how it was avoided in the first place or that it even has to be avoided...
The issue here is that the forum technology and the use of encoding with square brackets pre-dates this particular architecture being used as a "language forum." The forum had no idea people would want to use such rarely used characters for an actual purpose so just being mad that it works that way is silly. It's like writing a letter to IPA asking them to change the square bracket because it conflicts with coding.

To me, changing the coding here is the best method. I would think most folks use the buttons to invoke the BBCode, so if we could alter the words used to invoke formatting, then we would all but eliminate the issue except for those (like me on occasion) that just type out the formatting codes because that way I don't have to hit the button... especially on mobile. There isn't a perfect answer, or at least I don't think there is. I'd be ticked if we just tossed out all the formatting in order to not have an issue when we need to refer to 4 specific phonemes. At present, we can just add a space, or wrap a bracket in a color code and fix the issue. It isn't perfect, and it does bare explaining to newbs on the forum, but that's what we've got.
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I was reading through the general information thread in this subforum and noticed that the image under the "How Do I Add a Fancy Table to My Post?" post is broken; trying to open it in a new window, it looks like it used to be hosted on Dropbox but can no longer be found.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

Can we support https? It's not really a good idea to make people enter passwords through http, to begin with.
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Is anyone else having problems staying logged in? Recently on my laptop I keep getting logged out of this site sometimes immediately after logging in
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

All4Ɇn wrote: 27 Jun 2018 10:55 Is anyone else having problems staying logged in? Recently on my laptop I keep getting logged out of this site sometimes immediately after logging in
Was phrigging happening to me alot on ZBB, agschully.
FTW
:mrred:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

kiwikami wrote: 21 Jan 2018 23:51 I was reading through the general information thread in this subforum and noticed that the image under the "How Do I Add a Fancy Table to My Post?" post is broken; trying to open it in a new window, it looks like it used to be hosted on Dropbox but can no longer be found.

Well, thank goodness ur Interrobang still works!
[;)]