Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by Ossicone »

so I'll put all the feedback I can see in this thread so far in a nice list for them to read:
Guys you're gonna have to start paying me if you want those sorts of changes. [xD]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

I have a couple of tabs open to interesting posts that still show the previous CBB iteration.
OTʜᴇB wrote: 11 Nov 2017 19:11
  • The whites are very bright [Ahzoh, OTʜᴇB, Tanni]
  • The letters are thinner [Someone?]
Actually, the colour scheme is almost the same. The white is the same, the greyblue of the bar is the same, the grey of the background is now much lighter. That may be making the white appear brighter?
The font appears to be identical, and the letters are no thinner now than before as near as I can tell.

I'll add the following:
  • The buttons and bars are now all 2D in appearance. Like Salmoneus said, like something straight out of 20 years ago. The previous iteration's buttons had gradations of shading and depth that gave the appearance of 3D. The buttons now lack colour.
Re Ossicone's cry for reasonable pay, I think the CBB Benevolent Society for Underpaid Moderators could arrange for a modest income adjustment (to be paid in Zimbabwean dollars) as a token of the Highest Esteem and Gratitude!
Last edited by elemtilas on 11 Nov 2017 20:10, edited 4 times in total.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Hm. The button for moving to the next page in a thread is now a much smaller hit target than it used to be. That's a little annoying.

I can't say that I'm all that fond of this design, though I also wasn't exactly all that fond of the previous design, either. So, my opinion in that matter is pretty moot :shrug:
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

The buttons appearing 2D and minimal is what’s in right now. Look at iOS for a parallel example. It used to have “3D” buttons with detailed shading and coloring, but it’s much more simplistic and minimal now (compare iOS 6 vs. iOS 7). So while it may appear dated, it’s actually quite modern and what’s in vogue in terms of software and web design. I’m sure it will be out soon enough. Styles go in cycles. Just like how brass faucets are back in… [xD]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

If this kind of minimalism is "in-style", then I'm a member of a society with poor tastes.
Well, a dark theme would be nice.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

I was in a bit of a shock as well, when I saw the new design for the first time. I'll need to get used to it as well, but I actually like it so far. It's very simple and modern. While I do think a theme selector would be nice just to have the option to choose from different style, I don't think it's necessary to implement - especially if no one is being paid for it. [:P]

My only complain - yes, I do have one as well [}:D] - would be, that it is very empty. At least on my computer because my screen is very wide in my opinion. Here is an example. The sections' names and the last post display are about ~ 40cm/16" apart.
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

Flat 2D themes have been in fashion for some time now but for once it's a fashion that I can fully get behind (writing as someone who's been using flat themes on my computers for several years). I think that they remove a lot of the visual clutter that a generous use of shading and glossy icons can introduce.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gach wrote: 11 Nov 2017 20:50 Flat 2D themes have been in fashion for some time now but for once it's a fashion that I can fully get behind (writing as someone who's been using flat themes on my computers for several years). I think that they remove a lot of the visual clutter that a generous use of shading and glossy icons can introduce.
Myeh. I'm with Ahzoh on this one. 2D themes are so passé, even when the seem to be so top.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Wow, that's quite a change... I hope you find a better forum skin, TBH.

Also: where's my link to "read unread posts"? It was my primary way of interacting with the forum.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

If I'm honest I kinda like the change to the 2D, maybe I just haven't been on the internet long enough but for me the 3D designs are the less appealing ones, though I will agree there's changes I'd make even to this.

Like for example I'm not sure the new style really goes with the old font and smilies, was there an option to pick something which is closer to those while still being up to date?

Also good to see you're still active by the way Ossicone!
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I don't know if it's something to do with the new setup, but I was thinking of changing my username (and had over on the ZBB), but found that function is disabled here. At least through the user page. Nothing big if it was never allowed or if I have to go through someone to get it ok'ed, but if that was an option before the update, I hope that'll be fixed soon too.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Also the the in-post hyperlinks are now totally the wrong colour when marked "already visited", this new grey is too much like the colour of the background which is just so unhelpful, I suggest changing it to say purple perhaps.
Last edited by Frislander on 12 Nov 2017 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

LinguistCat wrote: 11 Nov 2017 22:32 I don't know if it's something to do with the new setup, but I was thinking of changing my username (and had over on the ZBB), but found that function is disabled here. At least through the user page. Nothing big if it was never allowed or if I have to go through someone to get it ok'ed, but if that was an option before the update, I hope that'll be fixed soon too.
See here.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Xonen wrote: 11 Nov 2017 23:25 See here.
thanks [:D]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

gestaltist wrote: 11 Nov 2017 21:21 Wow, that's quite a change... I hope you find a better forum skin, TBH.

Also: where's my link to "read unread posts"? It was my primary way of interacting with the forum.
Click the 3 lines in the upper left. It's in the menu that drops down.

I am not a fan of the extra click either since it makes it just a little harder to find.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

in other hand, your post, new post, unread post, unanswered post, and active topic (my favorite) is accessible without going back to the beginning of the page...
(some silver lining...)
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

> Updated to the newer phpBB forum version
> Still no [font] and [centre]

...How do y'all live here without some style? :/ [B)]
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

I could kvetch, but I'm near brain-dead from grade entry.
So I'll be thankful.

BTW, Can we pay in compliments?

Thanks to the one whose ossicles are the shiniest & polishedmost in all Giraffanite, Giraffidae, & amongst/betwixt all their wondrous Climacoceratid hornsby kith and kin.

[thumbs up]
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Aszev wrote: 11 Nov 2017 16:35 The current background color for forum posts isn't brighter than say, Facebook or Wikipedia.
With all due respect, FB has that dark blue theme at the top, as opposed to the sky-blue the current CBB has, which works better contrast-wise. Also, all posters to your wall are in blue, allowing for more contrast, plus FB users are more likely to post images then CBB posters.Wiki has the heading size commonly used throughout the site, and has constant links and pictures, again, adding more contrast. I don't think the problem is the brightness, but the lack of contrast strains the eyes.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien