Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
gach
MVP
MVP

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by gach »

Eh, it's probably most like updating your monitor to a 50% wider one. For a few days it'll look odd but afterwards you won't even look back.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

gach wrote: 11 Nov 2017 00:14 Eh, it's probably most like updating your monitor to a 50% wider one. For a few days it'll look odd but afterwards you won't even look back.
That's pretty much my thinking. It'll take some time to get used to it, but the same thing happened when the New CBB became a thing (IIRC, the Old CBB had a different design and layout as well).

At least the colour scheme has been kept more or less the same, blues, grey and white, so that's pretty nice, just have to get used to the different ratios and hues [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Oh my. This is just, wow. I go off to a formal with a friend at Catz and I come back and I find... this.

I'm not really sure if I prefer it tbh. I mean I get that the old one was definitely antiquated and in need of updating, but this? I guess I'll get used to it but gosh what a shock.
Auvon
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Auvon »

My main gripe is the lack of ability to use the desktop site on mobile on this forum style.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

g

o

n

e
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

My initial impression is "blaaaagh!" However, that'll likely change as I get used to it. I am most definitely not a fan of the Active Thread link needing two clicks to get to now, though.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

EWWEWWEWWEWWEWWEWWEWWEWWEWWEWWEWW

I liked the sectioning in the previous CBB (the mediaeval CBB? Middle CBB?). This does away with it for the worse imo.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

The spoiler buttons won't work:
Spoiler:
These don't do anything when you click on show.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Oh bugger, this terrible design has caught up with me again. It seems to be spreading through the internet, returning us all to 'things that looked cool twenty years ago'...

I can only assume it was originally intended for small children? Kind of looks like if the teletubbies had become webdesigners.

[no offence!]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Ahzoh wrote: 11 Nov 2017 02:08 The spoiler buttons won't work:
Spoiler:
These don't do anything when you click on show.
Indeed that seems to be the case
Spoiler:
Indeed that seems to be the case
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Should I go back to sleep and see if this just turns out to be a bad dream? [:P]

On a more constructive note, preliminary browsing seems to indicate that [ code ]-tables do not display properly in the mobile version. It may just be that I haven’t figured them out but a lot of content seems to be simply cut out as it doesn’t fit on the screen.
Edit: Ah, there’s a scrolling function, but I’m not appeased.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

DesEsseintes wrote: 11 Nov 2017 04:03 Should I go back to sleep and see if this just turns out to be a bad dream? [:P]
I know my pillow beckons.

Man, snooze - you lose.

I'm not categorically opposed to change, but why? What prompted this? What is to be gained/lost? And why weren't paisleys involved? [B)]

What's the point of a "Contact" feature if everyone, reasonably, leaves it blank?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

The forum was updated from a very old version of phpbb to the latest version.

Because the old version was so old, the theme was no longer compatible with the new version.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

I think with some adjustments, it could look pretty good. What I think are the immediate issues are that the spoilers don't work, and it's blindingly bright. We need a dark theme that we can swap to from the user control panel.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

OTʜᴇB wrote: 11 Nov 2017 14:52 I think with some adjustments, it could look pretty good. What I think are the immediate issues are that the spoilers don't work, and it's blindingly bright. We need a dark theme that we can swap to from the user control panel.
We're looking at the spoiler function—it should be back soon enough!

As for the brightness, I'm wondering if this isn't just a question of habit, or perhaps what site you've just been looking at just before? The current background color for forum posts isn't brighter than say, Facebook or Wikipedia.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Aszev wrote: 11 Nov 2017 16:35As for the brightness, I'm wondering if this isn't just a question of habit, or perhaps what site you've just been looking at just before? The current background color for forum posts isn't brighter than say, Facebook or Wikipedia.
It's a combination of that and a dislike for the bright themes. I always have Discord open on my left monitor and that's nice and dark. Facebook and Wikipedia are both still pretty bright though. Besides, even if it wasn't blinding, dark themes look so much nicer anyway, and having the option to switch to one would be really cool.
Edit: I also like the new thing where you get a notification if you're quoted (unless that's been here from the start and I managed to turn it off ages ago when I joined)
Edit: The Edit boxes haven't been re-styled yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how they look once everything's nice and polished!
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

OTʜᴇB wrote: 11 Nov 2017 14:52 I think with some adjustments, it could look pretty good. What I think are the immediate issues are that the spoilers don't work, and it's blindingly bright. We need a dark theme that we can swap to from the user control panel.
Yes, it's way to bright or the characters are too thin.

Could there be a butten that would give

Code: Select all

[quote][/quote]
in reverse:

[/quote][quote]
?

This would make it easier to answer to a quoted text.

[quote]
Text
Text
[/quote]
What is now (inserting a quote-element):

[quote]
Text
[quote][/quote]
Text
[/quote]
=> You have to reverse the tags by yourself.

What schould be (inserting a reverse quote-element):

[quote]
Text
[/quote][quote]
Text
[/quote]
That results more easily in:

[quote]
Text
[/quote]

Answer

[quote]
Text
[/quote]
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

That's actually a super good suggestion!

What I do now is sort of a workaround in which I delete all but the first quote tag, and then select the blocks i want to refer to and just re-quote them. I still have to manually add the end quote on the first one though.
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

It'd be nice if there was some kind of theme selector now that we've updated.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

As much as I wouldn't want the mods and everything to be flooded with questions and suggestions and feedback and everything, I imagine they were prepared in part for it considering the severity of the changes made, so I'll put all the feedback I can see in this thread so far in a nice list for them to read:
  • The whites are very bright [Ahzoh, OTʜᴇB, Tanni]
  • It's now harder to use this site on a mobile device [Auvon]
  • The "Active Thread" link now requires more clicks to access [Thrice Xandvii]
  • The sectioning from the previous CBB was better than the current setup [qwed117]
  • Spoilers don't work. None of the content can be viewed [Ahzoh]
  • The "Contact" button seems unnecessary [Lao Kou]
  • A Dark theme option would be well-received [OTʜᴇB]
  • Edit boxes in posts are yet to be re-styled [OTʜᴇB]
  • There is a need for a button that will print tags for a quote in reverse order [Tanni]
  • A theme selector would be nice [opipik]
Edit: I've just noticed that the bar at the top loses the rounded corners when it sticks to the top of the screen. Now everyone can see it [}:D]