Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
horizont
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by horizont »

Hello, I am horizot. Nice meeting you guys:) Look forward to some awesome discussions:)
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Welcome!
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Good welcome to thee, o new arrival! I look forward to seeing you blossom in our illustrious and well-informed company!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the CBB, horizont!
Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono »

Hi Everyone! I'm Tuyono.
I originally just wanted some consistent names for my vague fantasy setting. Then I realized it was more interesting than my ever-stuck story ideas! As it turned out, my writer's block doesn't really block me from conlanging.
See you all around [:)]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Tuyono wrote:Hi Everyone! I'm Tuyono.
I originally just wanted some consistent names for my vague fantasy setting. Then I realized it was more interesting than my ever-stuck story ideas! As it turned out, my writer's block doesn't really block me from conlanging.
That's how I began conlanging as well. [:)] Welcome to the CBB.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Welcome! I like your username. [:)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

To all July and August arrivals: Welcome!

(Not meaning to snub June and May and earlier; I think I already welcomed them, but if I didn't, I meant to.)
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board!
Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono »

Welcome! I like your username. [:)]
Thank you!
esoanem
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by esoanem »

Hey all, I came here via tumblr where I think I'm mutuals with some(?) of you.

Anyway, I'm a physicist by degree and hoping to get on a grad course soon; until then I'm procrastinating applying with linguistics and conlanging.
My pronouns are they/them/their

:gbr: native | :esp: advanced | :deu: intermediate | :fra: intermediate | :rus: basic | :ell: lapsed | :navi: lapsed | :con: making a bunch
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the CBB, esoanem!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

esoanem wrote:Hey all, I came here via tumblr where I think I'm mutuals with some(?) of you.

Anyway, I'm a physicist by degree and hoping to get on a grad course soon; until then I'm procrastinating applying with linguistics and conlanging.
I don't know how I missed you earlier, but great to see you here esoanem!
calylac
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by calylac »

Hey! I've actually already posted elsewhere, asking some questions in the conlang forum, but I guess I should probably introduce myself here too - or perhaps re-introduce, since I actually used to post here under a different account a few years ago, but I wanted to start afresh since my conlang has undergone a certain degree of revision since then. You'll be hearing about it soon!

I'm a recent Masters graduate and now a full-time professional translator; I started conlanging (with extreme air quotes because it was mostly just very basic coding) back when I was like... 10, maybe? Before I was actually interested in languages and linguistics themselves, anyway, oddly. Since then I've actually learnt how things work, and for about 7 years I've been working on-and-off on my biggest conlang project which keeps undergoing total revisions and overhauls to the point that it now looks nothing like it did when it started. Bizarrely, it's only spoken by a very small minority in my conworld (an indigenous group with a population of around 50-80,000 which does not play a major role in any stories currently planned set in the world), so I'm not sure why it of all the languages in the world has had the most attention from me, but hey!

Might also post some stuff about the world some time, too. Never really been able to discuss that much with people, so it'll be nice to show it off to like-minded individuals.

That was a longer intro post than I had intended, oops. Hi!
1: :gbr: 2: :fra: 3: :nld: 4: :ita:
Learning: :swe: :ell: :rou: Get by in: :esp: :deu:
Zuteräq/Zutan
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome, calylac! I look forward to seeing more about your work in the future.
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

To esoanem and calylac: Greetings!

Esoanem, conlanging is an excellent method of procrastination. Good choice. [:D]
Calylac, I look forward to learning about both your language and its world! Seven years is some serious dedication to a conlang, even on-and-off. (I know a good few folks here have stuck with a project for that long, but I tend to flit between [a more pleasant way of saying "abandon"] them a couple times a year, with exceptions.)
Last edited by kiwikami on 13 Sep 2017 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

calylac wrote:Might also post some stuff about the world some time, too. Never really been able to discuss that much with people, so it'll be nice to show it off to like-minded individuals.

That was a longer intro post than I had intended, oops. Hi!
Or shorter than some might have hoped!

Anyway, please do post about your world as well. There are a number of folks here who would be very interested in hearing about it and talking shop!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

@calylac: That is a highly intriguing introductory post!
[+1] to elemtilas's post; I'm another who wants to hear about that conlang and its con-community of con-speakers.
Pāṇini
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Pāṇini »

Hi, I'm Pāṇini and I've been lurking on this board for a very long time—I decided to get an account. I love linguistics and writing systems and I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.
天含青海道。城頭月千里。
/tʰiæn ɣɑm tsʰieŋ.hɑ́i dʱɑ́u ‖ ʑʱeŋ dʱəu ᵑgyæɾ tsʰiæn lí/
The sky swallows the road to Kokonor. On the Great Wall, a thousand miles of moonlight.
—/lí ɣɑ̀/ (李賀), tr. A. C. Graham
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Pāṇini wrote:Hi, I'm Pāṇini and I've been lurking on this board for a very long time—I decided to get an account. I love linguistics and writing systems and I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.
Welcome to the CBB!