Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by gestaltist »

WeepingElf wrote:Hallo, I am new here, but many here probably already know me from the ZBB. My real name is Jörg Rhiemeier, I live in Germany, am 46 years old, and my main conlang is Old Albic.
Welcome. I do remember you and your conlang. :)
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

WeepingElf wrote:Hallo, I am new here, but many here probably already know me from the ZBB. My real name is Jörg Rhiemeier, I live in Germany, am 46 years old, and my main conlang is Old Albic.
Yeah, you're back [:)] You are like a legend to me, I actually read a lot of your stuff.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
nykeron
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by nykeron »

Hello!

Call me Nykeron, which means "the destiny writer" in my main conlang: Lymdia.

I used to be active in conlang and linguistics fora but I had to stop when I enrolled in my bachelor in Arabic and ancient Greek Linguistics. I am now studying at the INALCO, Paris, majoring in Arabic linguistics, sociolinguistics and dialectology (focusing on Mediatic Levantine Middle Arabic).

I am a Lumbaard/Lombard native speaker (Swiss version) but I also speak Italian (the official language in my region), French (I've been studying in French since I was 8), English, plus a little of German, Modern Greek, Romanche and Spanish.

I have two main conlangs: Lymdia (the main language of the Enesdianya group, with its sister tongues: Kreyondia and Thaerondia, which I am currently working on) and Aelvick, which was a teenage tryout and I actually don't like anymore.
Lymdia is a strong agglutinant language which a strong tense-aspectual based verbal system. Aelvick was, on the other hand, inspired by germanic languages, mainly English.
Other than Lymdia's sister languages, I am working on a language called Ashanda which is supposed to be distantly related to Lymdia but which is also fairly inspired by semitic languages.

well, if you have any question, just ask.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Welcome to the board, Nykeron [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Vlürch
greek
greek

Post by Vlürch »

I'm bad at introductions, but basically, I'm a 21-year-old Finnish guy and I spend my time doing all kinds of "pointless" things like conlanging, making music, writing, etc. and I'm also incredibly socially awkward with anxiety to the point where I only leave the house about once a month. I still live with my mum, and we live off of welfare because we're poor (by Finnish standards, probably middle class in American standards?) and stuff. People often tell me I'm an asshole, that my sense of humour is politically incorrect and offensive, that I should stop my evil ways of cultural appropriation and a lot of other things that I don't take seriously, but I hope that won't be a problem here. Besides linguistics, I also like history, geography, religion, mythology, music*, films** and, honestly, I like pretty much everything except some things.
*(some of my favourite bands/artists in no particular order are Dir en grey, Deathspell Omega, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Havoc Unit, Lykathea Aflame, Nile, Unexpect, Purity Ring, Gnaw Their Tongues, Spawn of Possession, Kanye West, Funeral Mist, Pensées Nocturnes, Dmitri Shostakovich, Behemoth, Putridity, Angels of Light, Ill Bill, Rammstein, Psyopus, Secret Chiefs 3, Gnaw, Akiko Yano, Swans, Hemophiliac, Sanam Abdolazimzadeh, Ariana Grande)
** (a few of my favourite movies of all time are Creep (2004), My Girlfriend is a Cyborg, Hellraiser, The Fourth Kind, The Possession, Borat, The Interview, Tokyo Gore Police, Mongol)

Anyway, conlangs. I haven't really done any that are usable, but well, maybe one day I'll succeed at that, along with learning some actual languages; right now I'm trying to learn Mongolian, Kazakh and other Turkic languages, Russian and other Slavic languages... I don't speak anything except Finnish and English, understand a little Japanese, Romance and Germanic languages, although I read a lot about all kinds of languages from around the world mostly online and sometimes memorise a handful of words in some of the most "useless" languages out there, along with randomly getting into the most random languages and then forgetting that they even exist. It's one of my big dreams to make the most ridiculous conlang ever to have been made and for it to somehow become the first language of some village in the middle of nowhere and see how it would evolve. I know it's impossible, but hey, we all have dreams, and it's not my only dream.

So... am I welcome here? [:D]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Vlürch wrote:So... am I welcome here? [:D]
Of course!
It's one of my big dreams to make the most ridiculous conlang ever to have been made and for it to somehow become the first language of some village in the middle of nowhere and see how it would evolve.
Ah, the Ithkuilsdraumr!

Well, not far from it, anyway!
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

Vlürch wrote:So... am I welcome here? [:D]

"Hurraa!"

(Yes, of course.)
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
lurkjay
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by lurkjay »

Hello, I’m Jay and I’ve been lurking on various conlanging forums for a few years now. (I also lurk on ##cbb. Lurking is very much my thing, really.) I’m thirty-ish, dorky, and never get anything done, least of all my con-things. As of writing this, I’ve been Janko’d two three times.

I’d say I’m mainly interested in conworlding rather than -langing. While I get the appeal of building elaborate systems that might be taken for something real even by knowledgeable people, I have no particular interest in languages per se, detached from their speakers and cultures. If I ever managed to create one, it would basically be a naming language for a piece of fiction. As one might assume, I do like maps; however my true love is writing systems (pretty scripties!), arguably the most accessible way of conveying an alien setting. (Accessible to both the audience and the author; I guess most people here have cobbled together some kind of cipher alphabet in their childhood.)

There are a few real-life languages I’d like to learn, but due to abovementioned never-get-anything-done-itis I probably never will. My sister OTOH seems to be determined to speak enough languages to make up for the entire family:-D
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Welcome, Jay! So you like scripts, eh? I, too, am a lover of written languages.

May I just say that I am so glad *someone* else has their avatar set to match the width of the little banner above it AND added a 1 pixel border to boot! Your level of OCD must equal or exceed my own.

(Seriously, every avatar set to 100 or 110 actually grates at me a bit.)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Welcome, Jay! So you like scripts, eh? I, too, am a lover of written languages.

May I just say that I am so glad *someone* else has their avatar set to match the width of the little banner above it AND added a 1 pixel border to boot! Your level of OCD must equal or exceed my own.

(Seriously, every avatar set to 100 or 110 actually grates at me a bit.)
I would set it to match, if I knew how! I was just happy to get the image to show up at all!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

lurkjay wrote:I’d say I’m mainly interested in conworlding rather than -langing.
While I've certainly worked on a number of conlangs, the exploring of the otherworld is far more interesting to me than the language aspect. And of course maps! Can't have a proper piece of otherworldly fiction without a map. Or better, an atlas full!

Hopefully you'll share some your work on the cultural and historical aspects of your world(s) sometime!
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

elemtilas wrote:I would set it to match, if I knew how! I was just happy to get the image to show up at all!
Your particular image might be a tough one without some cropping since it isn't square. However, if you don't mind a bit of a crop, and I had the source image at hand, I could see what I could do for ya.

Perhaps, a simple bit of centering would do?

Merely go to [User Control Panel] → [Profile] →
Edit: . Then, assuming you've downloaded the above image, click the check box to delete the current image, and upload the file. After that's done, change the dimensions on that same page to 102 x 102 and you should have the same image, but centered in the avatar space.

Otherwise, my offer of cropping and such of a larger version of the image stands as well.
lurkjay
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by lurkjay »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:May I just say that I am so glad *someone* else has their avatar set to match the width of the little banner above it AND added a 1 pixel border to boot! Your level of OCD must equal or exceed my own.
Ahaha, fantastic:-D
elemtilas wrote:I would set it to match, if I knew how! I was just happy to get the image to show up at all!
Here you go! 102 pixel wide GIF with a black border:

I found the image on FrathWiki, cut the avatar part, rotated it slightly so that the border would look more even, and touched up the sides. If you want it at full size, I have the file saved.
Edit: Oh damn, I just realized the avatars must be square here. brb
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Unfortunately, that one is too tall to work as an avatar. [:'(]

Something like this, perhaps?

I kept the border purple to match the original more, and am pleased that more details come through... but it isn't ideal.
lurkjay
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by lurkjay »

Well that was awkward.

So let’s make it even more awkward by one-upping Thrice. THE GREAT CBB AVATAR-OFF! *cackles*

Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Well, if there's a winner... Let it be you, that one looks awesome!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Well, if there's a winner... Let it be you, that one looks awesome!
More better? More OCD compliant? :mrgreen: Thanks much lurkjay!!!

One of these days, I'll have to find a new one, though. I've been here about a year now, and perhaps time for a bit of a change...
Gnostalgic
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Gnostalgic »

Hello, you can call me Gnostalgic. Its become a sort of pen name when it comes to conlanging. Im currently reviving an old conlang of mine, with elements of agglutination and isolating verb conjugation. As well, im constantly creating and revising conlangs for my girlfriend's video games.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Gnostalgic wrote:Hello, you can call me Gnostalgic. ...
Interesting, eye-catching name. [:)]
"Having to do with pain resulting from knowledge"? [:(]
Interesting intro, too! [:)]

Looking forward to hearing more from you.
chridd
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by chridd »

*comes out of hiding* ...hi, I guess?
I've been lurking here for a while, might want to post something at some point, figured I probably should register.
I've made some conlangs that I work on sometimes, when I feel like it...
(and no my avatar is not the same width as the banner... it's one that I've been using on other sites for a while, though. It's nearly the same height, though.)
~ chri d. d. /ʧɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · My conlangs · Searchable Index Diachronica