Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by elemtilas »

Pāṇini wrote:Hi, I'm Pāṇini and I've been lurking on this board for a very long time—I decided to get an account. I love linguistics and writing systems and I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.
Bet you'e got a thing or two to say about Sanskrit grammar. . .
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Pāṇini wrote:Hi, I'm Pāṇini and I've been lurking on this board for a very long time—I decided to get an account. I love linguistics and writing systems and I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.
I can't wait!

Do you have a particular fondness for Indo-Aryan? I don't think we've seen any such conlangs ever.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Maybe they just really enjoy diacritics as well as yummy toasted sandwiches?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Maybe they just really enjoy diacritics as well as yummy toasted sandwiches?
Mmmm...toasted sandwiches!

Pan Pāṇini's panini press pressed paninis in Pāṇini's pan.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Frislander wrote:
I can't wait!

Do you have a particular fondness for Indo-Aryan? I don't think we've seen any such conlangs ever.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ‽‽‽

[o.O]

Prepare to see two or more examples from CBBers:

elemtilas has Talarian, or Tenxwwar Haryuça, an awesome oldie-but-goodie.
Ear of the Sphinx has worked on Indika.
Shemtov has Nerian, along the Graeco-Armeno-Aryan Clade.
✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫ has created Milani, which is not too distant cousin to Aseca's Aloha & Levasca.
I believe that they have collaborated on some Indo-Aryan inspired conworlding and conlanging, but damned if I recall properly what or how that went. [:'(] [:S]
Artaxes has Skurdúškos, of which he has admitted to have some definite satem-leanings

Even Yours Humbly's :con: Rozwi has a few Indo-Aryan tendencies, and its writing-system (images phucqued by Photophuckit :mrred: [}:(] [¬.¬] ) is based on a cursive running-hand version of Persian Cuneiform glyphs.

And there are at least two more Indo-Aryan/satem- … :con: folks who, banjanx me, I've plum forgotten.
[:$] [:$] [:$]

Well, there it is.
Last edited by Lambuzhao on 17 Sep 2017 01:13, edited 3 times in total.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

If you disagree, maybe provide some examples?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

shimobaatar wrote:If you disagree, maybe provide some examples?
I know Shemtov's made one. I know Chagen has beautiful Pazmat, and Iyionaku has Paatherye. Maybe Frislander was using a "royal we"?
Last edited by qwed117 on 17 Sep 2017 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I assumed Frislander was talking about a posteriori Indo-Aryan conlangs.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

shimobaatar wrote:I assumed Frislander was talking about a posteriori Indo-Aryan conlangs.
And indeed I was.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

qwed117 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:If you disagree, maybe provide some examples?
I know Shemtov's [url=http://www.cbbforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3341]made[/url one. I know Chagen has beautiful Pazmat, and Iyionaku has Paatherye. Maybe Frislander was using a "royal we"?
Uff! Pazmat of COURSE! and Paatherye !!!

Oy, the embarassment!
[:$] [:$] [:$] [:x]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote:elemtilas has Talarian, or Tenxwwar Haryuça, an awesome oldie-but-goodie.
Well, Indo-Anatolian actually. With some Indo-Aryan adstrate influence.

In-world it's Oriental Neo-Puntic and rather predates the Central Neo-Puntic that will eventually give rise to Sandho-Aryan and thus to the Sandhic languages and the modern Hellado-Sandhic and Judeo-Hellado-Sandhic dialects.
Lamche
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Lamche »

So, I've already introduced myself, but since I haven't been active here for some years, I am going to do it again!

I am from Italy and my family is from Wenzhou in China. My native language is Italian and my Chinese is work in progress. I also speak the Wenzhou dialect which is famous in China for being unintelligible to all other Chinese dialects. I like a posteriori languages and since I am a kind-of a beginner, I only make conlangs related to natlangs I speak. I have made a romlang, but I don't consider it interesting enough to be shared on the internet. :mrgreen: On the other hand I will soon open an introduction thread for Tekian, this Chinese based conlang I am working on.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome back!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Welcome! Is Tekian a true Sinitic language derived from Middle Chinese or earlier or is it not based off of a historical derivation per se?
Lamche
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Lamche »

Is Tekian a true Sinitic language derived from Middle Chinese or earlier or is it not based off of a historical derivation per se?
It split from Chinese sometime between 2000 BCE and 1000 BCE.
I did use this reconstruction of old Chinese, but I made Tekian split earlier and put some sound distinction that are not present in Old Chinese. For example the numerals 1 and 7 don't rhyme in Old Tekian.
The main reason why I made it split earlier was that Tekian has SOV word order, and I thought it was unlikely for a SVO language like Old Chinese to evolve into a SOV language, while on the other Chinese is likely to descend from a SOV language.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Lamche wrote:
Is Tekian a true Sinitic language derived from Middle Chinese or earlier or is it not based off of a historical derivation per se?
It split from Chinese sometime between 2000 BCE and 1000 BCE.
I did use this reconstruction of old Chinese, but I made Tekian split earlier and put some sound distinction that are not present in Old Chinese. For example the numerals 1 and 7 don't rhyme in Old Tekian.
The main reason why I made it split earlier was that Tekian has SOV word order, and I thought it was unlikely for a SVO language like Old Chinese to evolve into a SOV language, while on the other Chinese is likely to descend from a SOV language.
Sounds fascinating!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Maybe they just really enjoy diacritics as well as yummy toasted sandwiches?
Or maybe they really like chimps?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav »

Hello, I'm Zekoslav.

I've been interested in languages (both conlangs and natlangs - I actually study linguistics [;)] ) for a long time, but only recently I managed to come up with something worth sharing.

Usually I make a posteriori languages, because I can't for the love of all that is holy ever decide how I want to name something. I've learned a lot about natlangs that way: I remember I had an idea to make a more conservative cousin of French, only to discover I had accidentally recreated old Occitan. [:D]
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who occasionally frequents the CBB.

- Guide to Slavic accentuation
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Zekoslav wrote: 18 Nov 2017 14:10 Hello, I'm Zekoslav.

I've been interested in languages (both conlangs and natlangs - I actually study linguistics [;)] ) for a long time, but only recently I managed to come up with something worth sharing.

Usually I make a posteriori languages, because I can't for the love of all that is holy ever decide how I want to name something. I've learned a lot about natlangs that way: I remember I had an idea to make a more conservative cousin of French, only to discover I had accidentally recreated old Occitan. [:D]
Welcome! We look forward to hearing more about your journey into all things linguistical!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Oh good, I like interesting a-posteriori stuff, particularly non-Indo-European things (although I'd be very happy with interesting takes on Indo-Iranian actually, we don't see many of those!). I look forward to seeing you grow and develop as a conlanger.