Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by alynnidalar »

Welcome! I'd love to hear more about your conworld (and others would too, I'm sure) if you mosey over to the Conworlds & Concultures board.
Hawksbill
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Hawksbill »

Hi, I'm Hawksbill! I made this account a while ago but was too shy to post anything. But now I'm running kind of low on motivation for building my languages, so I thought sharing and bouncing ideas off of other folks here might help. That and it's really fun to read about the languages other people have created.

I started making conlangs by making a small collection of them with a friend: Shapālwa, Bazzí, and Tuelï (and a couple more that never moved past being just concepts). I've scrapped most of those and am in the process of making a new set of languages for a somewhat different conworld, one of which is remade Shapālwa (the oldest and dearest one), plus ʻAyohu and Zheomic (tentative name). As you can tell, I like to make them in sets - I'm hoping to get as far as being able to put in loanwords and make daughter languages and pidgins, though that's a bit ambitious. There's also Commonsong, which is a kind of for-fun language based on the concept of making something that birds might speak: it has no sounds that require lips, and lots of tones. It's a mess right now though because I'm in over my head with the tones!

I'm hoping to eventually make a webcomic set in my conworld, but with the amount I like to worldbuild, it'll probably take me a while.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Hawksbill wrote:Hi, I'm Hawksbill! I made this account a while ago but was too shy to post anything. But now I'm running kind of low on motivation for building my languages, so I thought sharing and bouncing ideas off of other folks here might help. That and it's really fun to read about the languages other people have created.

I'm hoping to eventually make a webcomic set in my conworld, but with the amount I like to worldbuild, it'll probably take me a while.
Welcome!

Tell us about your world as well as your languages!
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Hello! My name is Brian. I live in Los Angeles. I am a polyglot, calligrapher, and conlanger. I have joined quite a few conlanging (or glossopoeist, if you prefer) communities and I am consistently astounded by the volume of linguistic knowledge that pours out. I speak five languages (of which I used to teach one) and I have learned more about linguistics in a short period than I have in my lifetime. I have been humbled and now understand that there is a lot about linguistics that I truly do not know. That being said, I am a novice conlanger and it was only recently in the last six months that I became serious about developing my language.

My Conlang

My conlang is called Lortho [loɾtʰo]. It started as a prop for a friend’s board game in the spring of 2003, but I put it on the shelf. Now that I am committed to developing Lortho I currently have a basic lexicon, basic grammar, and three tenses. I also have created an original alphabet that is comprised of 21 letters (of which one is a vowel) and diacritics for vowels. Click here to see the alphabet.

I will also post a reply in You for more personal information.

I hope I will be able to not only learn from you, but also offer my own insights.

Happy conlanging!
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

bbbourq wrote:Hello! My name is Brian. I live in Los Angeles. I am a polyglot, calligrapher, and conlanger. I have joined quite a few conlanging (or glossopoeist, if you prefer) communities and I am consistently astounded by the volume of linguistic knowledge that pours out. I speak five languages (of which I used to teach one) and I have learned more about linguistics in a short period than I have in my lifetime. I have been humbled and now understand that there is a lot about linguistics that I truly do not know. That being said, I am a novice conlanger and it was only recently in the last six months that I became serious about developing my language.
Huy! Another glossopoet joins the fray!
My Conlang

My conlang is called Lortho [loɾtʰo]. It started as a prop for a friend’s board game in the spring of 2003, but I put it on the shelf. Now that I am committed to developing Lortho I currently have a basic lexicon, basic grammar, and three tenses. I also have created an original alphabet that is comprised of 21 letters (of which one is a vowel) and diacritics for vowels. Click here to see the alphabet.
Welcome!

This is a good place for teaching what you know and learning what you don't. Please feel free to make threads for your language and any associated cultures that may go with them!

I like the writing system, too. Aesthetic. Plus vocalic nasals --- gotta love it!
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

bbbourq wrote:Hello! My name is Brian. I live in Los Angeles. I am a polyglot, calligrapher, and conlanger.
Oh, a fellow practitioner of calligraphy!
Hello!
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

Egerius wrote: Oh, a fellow practitioner of calligraphy!
Hello!
Well hello! I love it and it is quite therapeutic for me. 'Tis nice to meet a fellow calligrapher.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
kinkinkijkin
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by kinkinkijkin »

Hello, I am Émilie-Renée, I am from Canada, I like beverages and racing, but also conlang and worldbuild. In fact, I recently started designing racing tracks in my conworld, and have started making them for Assetto Corsa (a high-end racing sim, if you haven't heard of it).

Currently, though, my conlangs don't exactly have enough words for naming the tracks with... I have had to come up with words on the spot, even though I haven't touched my conlang's dictionary in a couple months.

I also used to professionally do multiple things in game dev but some brain health issues progressed to the point of not being able to work regularly enough to have a job anymore, and they will only get worse with time, so I'm rendered permanently disabled. On the upside, I have lots of time for conworlding and simracing.

EDIT: read back in the thread and I guess I should put some details about my world and lang.

Derets/Deret is the language spoken in the sovereign state of Deret in my unnamed conworld. Drivers and other forms of professional travelers are revered. The primary religion in Deret reveres a multi-dimensional traveller who brings science and food (most notably chocolate) from our world.

The people consider chocolate to be a holy food, eaten in privilege after performing well or on ceremonial days, or daily by people who consider themselves very important or talented (which is not found to be an issue to most people in the world, unless they are not actually important; understanding your own importance and talent is considered to be a very good thing, and being humble is considered rude).

The traveler comes once every 30 of the world's years (23.4 of our years), and as of the latest coming introduced the world of computers as it was in 2007 to the intakers of knowledge, though the computers in the conworld had progressed on their own in a different direction much further by chance (though, high-powered central computing wasn't even considered and blew the minds of the computer scientists).

Related to race tracks, it is common to name places "[thing] of [holy thing]". Currently I have tracks called Cokla að Kövyf [ço.'klɑ ɑð 'kø.vɪf] (lit. Chocolate the Hilly Racing-Track, less literally "The Track of Chocolate") and Kiovaagac að Tesyvyf [kjo.'va.ʝɑç ɑð 'te.sɪ.vɪf] (lit. Kiovaagac (great tree at the meeting place with the interdimensional traveler) the Flat Racing-Track, less literally "The Track of Kiovaagac").
Yoshimaster96
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Yoshimaster96 »

Hey, I'm new xD
gufferdk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by gufferdk »

Hello. I'm Gufferdk.

I'm from Western Jutland, Denmark.

I speak Standard Danish natively and English fluently. I have ok proficiency in my local Danish dialect (Nord)hardsysselsk (which like all the other Danish dialects is being replaced by the standard). I have some proficiency in German and I'm currently learning Spanish. I would like to learn a non-IE language at some point in the future, likely either a Cree dialect, Swahili, Quechua, Finnish, one of the Sámi languages or an Inuit one.

I have one main conlang, Xwlàbijè (/xʷla˩pɨ˥jə˩/), which is a priori and set in a currently not very well developed conworld. It primarily draws inspiration from a bunch of languages from northern North America. It is quite synthetic and heavily suffixing. It is not extremely well developed. I might do a post on it one of these days. I also have a few snips of ideas for other langs that might be turned into full blown projects or might be scrapped. The conworld is supposed to be earth-like and not include magic or similar, though I might throw in a little bit of magic and/or "magical" creatures. It will not become a high fantasy world with powerful mages, dragons and multiple sapient races though.

I have been interested in conlanging for quite a while and I feel like I have a good grasp on a wide variety of linguistic topics, aquired primarily by hanging around on the ZBB, WALS, Wikipedia, the /r/conglangs unofficial discord and actual textbooks I downloaded off the internet. One thing I would like to learn more about specifically is diachronics. I have both Trask's and Campbell's Historical Linguistics as PDFs but I have been putting off reading them.

I am a nerd in general and have over the years aquired knowledge on a bunch of different topics that I though were interesting, based on my shifting interests. Currently I also have passing interests in indicator boulders, knots, and amateur radio, that might turn out to be things I keep on being interested in for years or might be completely uninteresting to me in a few months.

I have an autism spectrum disorder and have had problems with depression but I'm recieving quilified help.

So, hi. Hope you don't have a tradition of eating newcomers [:D]
Warning: Anything I post may be ninja-edited up to half an hour after posting.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gufferdk wrote:So, hi. Hope you don't have a tradition of eating newcomers [:D]
Greetings to you, and all the other recent newcomers! Please feel free to jump right in to any thread that looks to be of interest to you. Also, you might consider starting up threads for your invented language(s) and culture(s).

No, newcomers aren't eaten here.

Not until they're fairly well cooked, anyway.
[:)]
Sinasiinacinna
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Sinasiinacinna »

Hi everyone! I'm Wy (I'm a girl, by the way)... I've stumbled across these forums before and finally decided to sign up. I'm a little nervous about it because I do not know a whole lot about linguistics and it shows a bit in my languages, but people here seem fairly kind and accepting of newcomers so I'm going to give it go. ~.^
I'm in high school and am fairly new to conlanging; I started 3 years ago in middle school with my first language Numikujo. I've learned the basics since then and I hope to improve while I'm here!
Today's edited conlangs: Nga1-ngi5, Yasunishu, Ć'ENĦAŊWA
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Sinasiinacinna wrote:Hi everyone! I'm Wy (I'm a girl, by the way)... I've stumbled across these forums before and finally decided to sign up. I'm a little nervous about it because I do not know a whole lot about linguistics and it shows a bit in my languages, but people here seem fairly kind and accepting of newcomers so I'm going to give it go. ~.^
I'm in high school and am fairly new to conlanging; I started 3 years ago in middle school with my first language Numikujo. I've learned the basics since then and I hope to improve while I'm here!
No worries. Everyone here started out with an invented language that more or less sucked horribly!

Wy, just dive right on in! Show-and-Tell is over in the Conlangs forum, and I'm sure we all hope to see some of the results of your hard work over there!
Jachna
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Jachna »

Eyyo everyone

My name is Jack, I'm 16 years old and I live in Sweden. I somehow randomly stumbled upon this site and it didn't take much to convince me to make an account (I would've done it sooner if I had known this site existed). I have started making my own language, although it doesn't have anything substancial yet since I just started a few days ago, and school takes up most of my time.

I can speak swedish and english, but I could probably also hold a conversation in german with a lot of patience. I also learn french in school, but I hardly "speak" it. [:)]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

gufferdk wrote:Hello. I'm Gufferdk.
Sorry I haven't caught onto this earlier, but welcome here! Hope you enjoy this board as much as the ZBB!
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Hello, I'm Teagan, aka vampyre_smiles on the zbb, or bloodb4roses on what was conworlds.info and which currently needs something renewed. I migrated over here since the cwbb seems to close down each year and hasn't been particularly active for a long time. For now I'll probably just look around a bit, though I might post some quick questions in the next week or so.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

doomie wrote:Hello, I'm Teagan, aka vampyre_smiles on the zbb, or bloodb4roses on what was conworlds.info and which currently needs something renewed. I migrated over here since the cwbb seems to close down each year and hasn't been particularly active for a long time. For now I'll probably just look around a bit, though I might post some quick questions in the next week or so.
Welcome to the cbb!
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

doomie wrote:Hello, I'm Teagan, aka vampyre_smiles on the zbb, or bloodb4roses on what was conworlds.info and which currently needs something renewed. I migrated over here since the cwbb seems to close down each year and hasn't been particularly active for a long time. For now I'll probably just look around a bit, though I might post some quick questions in the next week or so.
Welcome indeed! I recognise you from CWBB
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Hi all. I've new here but been on at ZBB for a while. Just thought I'd join the party here too! Looking forward to being part of CBB [:)]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

spanick wrote:Hi all. I've new here but been on at ZBB for a while. Just thought I'd join the party here too! Looking forward to being part of CBB [:)]
No Pickles for You!