Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Dormouse559

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by Dormouse559 »

Hello, I'm Dormouse, and I've been conlanging for about four years. I have a romlang, Selvesco, that I'm concentrating most of my efforts on. I also have an a priori conlang that I'm trying to overhaul, but the process seems pretty daunting to me, even if the conlang is still rather young. [:S]

My native language is English, and I'm learning French. French has given me a passive understanding of other Romance languages, and conlanging has given me bits and pieces of knowledge about still other languages.
sqéxe
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sqéxe »

Hæ, Ég heiti Phil. Ég er frá Tasmania (í Australia) og ég bý í Kanada. Ég er 25 ár.

Bad Icelandic, but eh. I thought I´d introduce myself. Bless bless! ^^
Fluent: :eng:
Conversational: :iku: :dan: :isl: :esp: :fra: :kor:, Kalaallisut.
Classes: Secwepectísm
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Hello new people!
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

Welcome all!
Tmt97
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tmt97 »

Hi I'm tmt. I know English(obviously), and I am in the slow and painful process of learning mandarin. I in the process of failing to create a priori conlang. [:S] I stumbled across this forum and decided to join, so far everyone has been very helpful. I think I am here to stay! [:D]
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

你好Tmt97!你怎么样?
Sangfroidish
greek
greek

Post by Sangfroidish »

Zùlte aich lau! Denne sùs Sangfroidyçh aich aich, çes denne lùs sùs Sang lau aich*. I've been working on my first real conlang (currently named Soramentish, but that, like much of its grammar, is liable to change completely at the drop of a hat) for about a year or so now, and an accompanying conworld for a similar length of time, though with far less progress. I somehow encountered this forum a while ago through methods I don't recall, and after extensive lurking of the conlangs board decided I may as well sign up, since the worst that could happen would be my conlang acquiring some much-needed development.

My native language is English, as I am from the land where it was invented, and though I am a filthy monoglot I have studied German and French for four and five years respectively. Currently I'm attempting to slowly regain any modicum of proficiency in either after letting my skills rust for several years.

I don't believe I'm interesting enough to pad this out much further, so see you around I suppose.

*"Hello! My name is Sangfroidish, but you may call me Sang"; literally, "I greet you! I name me using Sangfroidish, but you may name me using Sang".
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Hello Sangfroidish!
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

Welcome!
PTSnoop
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by PTSnoop »

Hi everyone! I'm PTSnoop.

I was a moderately active conlanger (and a lurker on the ZBB) around 2005-2008ish, after which I went to uni and suddenly had a lot less free time. Now, having graduated and got a job, I've been prodded into getting langing again.

I'm a native-English-speaking mostly-monoglot, with a little bit of French and German.

And I'll generally be around on the IRC channel 9am-5pm GMT+1, although I've got my irc client on a dedicated-server so it looks like I'm around all the rest of the time as well.

See you around!
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Welcome (back) [:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Cacafire
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Cacafire »

Hello, my name is Cacafire, which is the name of an ascii-art demo program that comes bundled with the aalib library. The aalib library itself is still an official Slackware linux package, for which I extend my heartfelt thanks to Patrick Volkerding. Mr. Volkerding has developed an outstanding Linux distribution, and I am pleased that Slackware operates the way that it does: Stable as a rock. :)

Now then, I speak Spanish somewhat semi-fluently. My german is even more primitive, and I often make up words on the spot, such as 'Geigenshaefte', when I can not think of the right term. I also am interested in learning Japanese, both so that I can make my way around Kyoto without too much difficulty, and so that I can listen to Miku Hatsune and friends.

Of course, I also would like to create my own conlanguage. Hopefully, I will be able to indulge in the irredeemably shameful act of getting 100 people to speak it, if for no other reason than the fact that I am a horrible person with an overinflated ego. Also, I've always wanted to be the editor of an online conlang newspaper, ratings be damned! Haha.

At the current moment, I don't really have much of a conlang to showcase. Nevertheless, I am avidly interested in the conlangs you men and women have and are working on. It might be a good learning experience, and I might be able to avoid some of the more common blunders, at least.

Thank you very much for having me, Cbb. I am glad to be here. :)
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Hello and welcome [:)]
Cacafire wrote:Of course, I also would like to create my own conlanguage. Hopefully, I will be able to indulge in the irredeemably shameful act of getting 100 people to speak it, if for no other reason than the fact that I am a horrible person with an overinflated ego. Also, I've always wanted to be the editor of an online conlang newspaper, ratings be damned! Haha.
Good luck with that
Fanael
sinic
sinic

Post by Fanael »

Cacafire wrote:Hello, my name is Cacafire, which is the name of an ascii-art demo program that comes bundled with the aalib library.
It's actually not a part of aalib, but of libcaca, which is basically aalib improved.
Cacafire
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Cacafire »

Ah! Yes. You are correct, Fanael.
SalsburySteak
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by SalsburySteak »

Hello!

I call myself SalsburySteak, but a lot of people tend to shorten it to just Steak, so if that suits you better, go ahead.

I've been studying French for two years, and Spanish for one, so I'm not really that great with either. I've had a bit of Latin, too, and a few months ago I picked up Japanese again after leaving it out to dry for several years. Picked up a book on Ancient Greek recently and I've been paddling about in the shallows of those waters. Honestly, though, one of these days I really want to learn Arabic. Got a certain fascination with Semitic languages, I guess.

I had a very brief tenure on Zompist last fall-ish, but due to a frankly disturbing amount of encroaching real-life stuff and a general personal sense that I had no idea what I was doing I kinda dropped out of it. But now summer's here, finally, and that means much more free time, and in the past six months or so I have accrued a decent amount of linguistic knowledge.

Got a couple langs in the works -- one's called Tiwahelubakesukeni (or since that's ridiculously unwieldy, just Tiwasukeni), which started out as an experiment in musical language; and still is, but I kind of neglected that part, so now it's more of an experiment in crazy levels of agglutination, as well as trigger alignment. Some of the words, verbs especially, are getting wicked long with all the affixes and everything, and to be perfectly honest I am loving that. It's pretty well developed grammatically at this point, but insofar as lexicon or the "phonology" goes it's fairly lacking.

My other big project at the moment is Ṣanzaḥwya, which isn't really an experiment in anything yet, except for maybe consonant roots (I've done them before, but it was different), but once I reach a modicum of completion on it grammatically I plan on deriving it into a few daughter languages, which I haven't yet attempted to do. It's quite well developed phonologically, though I more or less have squat lexicon-wise.

I feel like I've gone on about myself for far too long now, and I have to go to work in a minute, so... See y'all around.
[tick]: :eng: | [:)]: :fra: | [:|]: :esp: :jpn: | [:(]: :lat: | :con:: Tiwasukeni, Ṣanzaḥwya
Looking to learn at some point: :ara: :cym:
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Hello, SalsburySteak. Can I call you lsbu for short?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Welcome, Pantokrator of the Tiwahelubakesukeni!

Hail, Shaper and Preserver of all things Ṣanzaḥwya,

and Proud Wearer of the Tetragrammaton that is LSBU.

[:D]
Ilocar
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Ilocar »

I go by Ilocar. I got into conlanging for world-building purposes, and world-building for my writing, although, when I stare at the pages and pages of world I've written and my one incomplete novel hanging around 70,000 words, I wonder if it might be the other way around. I really began conlanging when I discovered the Zompist's tutorial. I'm currently working on restructuring and rebuilding all of the languages of my world (sadly even the ones that were actually complete :'( ) and so I'm starting with the oldest language in my world Rhûnido, aptly dubbed in its own words "old language," "ancient language" or "sacred language" its mostly spoken by up-tight self-important pricks, so the intensely self-aggrandizing nature of the name is, I think, apt. so unless I say otherwise, thats what all them crazy weird characters are all about. I love conlanging for its own sake, artlangs all the way! and I'm sad I have no one to talk to, I found this board and was like: "this is amazing" so here I am, sorry if that was a bit much.
Rhûnido, my conlang :)
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Hi Ilocar, welcome!