Weird Dream Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Re: Weird Dream Thread

Post by GrandPiano »

Runomso wrote:To be honest, all dreams I had were weird. There is no "normal" one among them.
[+1]

My dreams actually seem to have been getting more normal over time, but they still don't usually go anywhere near "normal".
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I had a weird dream concerning my idiolect when speaking English.

I sit in the same room in which I have Spoken English, with a bunch of other people.

The lecturer enters, but she isn't the lecturer I have S.E. with, but rather Osgood from Doctor Who.

After some time, she tells me: "You have a weird pronunciation. Really, I thought you all would speak with an American accent, but yours is different - British, but still somewhat unfamiliar."

I tell her that "I use an old version of Received Pronunciation, sometimes switching to an American Mid-Atlantic accent. The 40s and 50s are long over, but I still speak more or less that way - like the Doctor portrayed by Patrick Troughton or Franklin Delano Roosvelt."

She nods and I tell her to "take a look at the Doctor Who serial The War Games from 1969; the tapped /r/ in 'very' and 'terrible' is a, sometimes rare, part of my largely British idiolect".

The lecturer writes something down and leaves the brown piece of paper on the table as she goes to the next student.

I quickly take a look at her notes that read 'Doctor' Troughton, Wargames 1969 - conservative BBC-English, which I quickly correct to Doctor Who: Patrick Troughton [...] - sometimes vaccilating to US Mid-Atlantic pronunciation.

Then I wake up.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Wow.
[O.O]
I only wish I could have had those kinds of conversations with my profs. I studied dialectology/phonetics mostly through a Spanish lens.
No Patrick Troughton there. [:(]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Nodded off on the metro just now and had a dream. I don't remember what it was about but the punch line as I woke up was: "So I'm gonna run up to that girl, tell her I use the drachma, and watch her jaw drop!"

It might be relevant to mention that I'm not Greek, nor do I have any ties with Greece.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I had a weird dream two days ago that I was trapped in some place that similar to what I described about the Veil, and I, along with a bunch of random people and an infant (though I somehow knew them all) were being chased by some sort of 17-foot tall creature that looks like a combination of Pyramid Head (without the mask) and a skinhead neo-nazi (mostly it was the combat boots and shaved hair)...

Yea it didn't go well, cause for some reason we hid beside a metal bleachers/stand-thing and just one stomp by the guy and everyone, but me and a few other people, were instantly impaled by the vertical-supports of the bleachers. Then I was fatally shot by the 17-foot giant and slumped to the corner of the wall while he brutally murdered the other survivors and the infant.

Then I find myself laying flat horizontally along with a bunch of corpses, in the same bleachers are.
Then I woke up.

Such a creature inspired me for a chase chase for my video-game and I call him "Nefiri", which has no meaning.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I had an interesting dream today. Well, I remember a colored, dithered, but sufficiently high resolution picture to see a nicely done map of Europe - even the borders were drawn correctly.
Sardinia, Corsica and Italy were predominantly blue, the Iberian peninsula was green, France went from yellow (in the south) to orange (in the north). Germany was red, Romania was purple.
I don't remember anything else, but I think this could have something to do with my conworld, or rather, the data left on the probes, saved in an Amiga-compatible format (as one of multiple formats).
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

Once I had a dream that I ate gingerbread and vomited. That's all I remember.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I had a dream that involved Aang from "Avatar: The Last Airbender". He had been about to receive an award, like an Oscar, when the following incident disqualified him. He was in a modern-looking city, and he was in a car. The car pulled up the curb where there was a space marked off in bright orange and pink paint, and he got out. For some reason, he felt like he was going to cry, so he did a gesture that was supposed to stop him from crying: He pressed his right thumb, pointing downward, just above the bridge of his nose while pinching his nose with his left hand. However, it turned out the gesture also triggered magic and he accidentally summoned the spirit of his grandmother. The police chased him down the street and then up an adjacent one, finally cornering him. The dream ended like a movie scene, with my field of view zooming in on Aang's face as the officers moved in. A voice-over by him could be heard, though I don't remember what he said.
Sglod
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Sglod »

I dreamt I ate a sausage roll. Then, I ate a battered fish and washed it all down with a mug of cold tea. It was a good dream.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Good Lord, yummy~! [:P]

I wish I had dreams like that, instead of dumb ones arguing with my ex-wife/current girlfriend/former girlfriend(s) ****, or of me teaching out-of-the-box ideas for lessons to my students.
...oh, and the occasional Dr. Who inspired romp with daleks or cybermen or silurians. [:P]

**** what I meant here is that, in the dream, I argue with one ex-girlfriend per dream, rather than the whole gaggle of them all at once. Hmmm.... I wunder if there's a way to express that in some sort of grammatical number??? Singultive? Hecastive?? Suggestions??? :wat:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

DesEsseintes wrote:Nodded off on the metro just now and had a dream. I don't remember what it was about but the punch line as I woke up was: "So I'm gonna run up to that girl, tell her I use the drachma, and watch her jaw drop!"

It might be relevant to mention that I'm not Greek, nor do I have any ties with Greece.

And just where/how are you using that drachma, to make the girl's jaw drop, pray tell‽‽‽
[o.O]
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Lambuzhao wrote:**** what I meant here is that, in the dream, I argue with one ex-girlfriend per dream, rather than the whole gaggle of them all at once. Hmmm.... I wunder if there's a way to express that in some sort of grammatical number??? Singultive? Hecastive?? Suggestions??? :wat:
I guess it's just distributive. For each dream there is one girlfriend.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Hmm, I had two dreams last night that I remember. One was about the web series RWBY; I'd gotten to see the first episode of the upcoming fourth season. Don't have a clue what happened, all I remember was being disappointed because every one of my predictions about the first episode were 100% wrong!

The other was about the ConWorkShop collaborative conworld Sahar... I also don't recall exactly what happened, but someone had made a map of each country's sphere of influence, and somehow one of my countries (Tuanmali) ended up being super-important on a totally different continent (on Baredina, for some reason, around Central Ekuosia and Tabiqa). Given that Tuanmali is isolationist and not very powerful, this confused me, both in and out of the dream!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote:Good Lord, yummy~! [:P]

I wish I had dreams like that, instead of dumb ones arguing with my ex-wife/current girlfriend/former girlfriend(s) ****, or of me teaching out-of-the-box ideas for lessons to my students.
...oh, and the occasional Dr. Who inspired romp with daleks or cybermen or silurians. [:P]

**** what I meant here is that, in the dream, I argue with one ex-girlfriend per dream, rather than the whole gaggle of them all at once. Hmmm.... I wunder if there's a way to express that in some sort of grammatical number??? Singultive? Hecastive?? Suggestions??? :wat:
Perhaps the odietamative or gregatimate would be suitable to the most unenviable task at hand! Mind you, the odietamative can be used whether said GFs or periuxiorals assault you singulatively or severally. Or even serially. The gregatimate is best used when the whole gaggle assail your dreams en masse.
Sglod
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Sglod »

Last night, I dreamt there was a lion in the house. My dad was winding it up like he does with the dog so it started to get agitated. I ran up to my room, slamming the door behind he and leaving my dad for dead in the living room. I'm such a good person... [:S]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

The following cannot be just a dream. It felt way too real...
Somehow I landed on a large asteroid which housed a fairly large group of humans.
The asteroid oribted a star, had a suitable atmosphere and farmland.
The people living on that asteroid had a technology level comparable to the late Middle Ages or the Renaissance.

The higher officials (and some educated laymen) understood and actively used Present-Day English, so I could interact with them easily.
Everyone else spoke a language that strongly reminded me of Old Icelandic!
Naturally, I asked the local farmer to spell some word out, so I could write them down (I used a mixture of Old Icelandic, West Saxon and, sometimes, today's English).
Later, I found myself in the office of an official, which was filled with books and considerably more modern technology (i.e. the most generic Windows 95 setup ever) on the desk.

As I was talking with the official, he wanted to shredd a picture of J. S. Bach (which, on closer inspection, contained binary data). I asked "What the fuck are you doing?! Why do you destroy valuable data about Earth and advanced technology?"
He replied that they were "leading simple and virtuous lives, and it should stay like this.
And not all data would be destroyed, for example mathematics... and physics."

The man explained that his ancestors made Earth uninhabitable and had to spread across space.
This colony was struck by a catastrophy leading to a new Dark Ages.
I felt that such a catastrophy would happen again soon, and suggested that they should move to a nearby moon, which was much larger and much safer.

Then I woke up.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Well, here's my dream.

So I woke up, and I was at my school*, we were just about to leave, and I had been sleeping at my desk the entire period. As I leave the class, I see a few of my friends stay in there, so I ask then why. My teacher* tells me that is for the science competition, that I the smartest kid in the class, forgot to get forms for. D'oh! Anyways, so I walk down the hallway* to get to my bus, but I notice that some of the buses have left. I climb onto the one that I think is mine. I see no one that I know, and ask the bus driver, "is this bus 2*". She says "no". I ask her if bus 2 has already left. "Yes". Then I ask what bus, number it is. "4". " Good, we have the exact same route. I'll tell you where to drop me off". So I sit down in a seat that has 4 people in it. Another person comes up and complains that their partner wants the entire 2-seats, and sits next to me* so we drive, and soon we are on a street parallel to my street, and suddenly the two streets intersect,* and I see my house. I tell her to drop me off there at my house. As she drops me off, I start walking to house, I think "Wait a minute, don't I have break right now?* What the heck was that?" Followed by "I guess I'll find out when I wake up"... and there, I'm awake.

*The fact that I'm not in my high school, I'm in the middle school, I don't know who the heck that teacher was, all of the people in the hallway don't exist, that hallway doesn't exist either, that I'm bus number 8, and have never been bus 2, bus 4 has a unique route, like all the other buses, and the apparent distortion of dimensions don't concern me quite a much as the fact that I should've been at home
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I dreamt that I was browsing Wikipedia, reading about thylacines. The thing that didn't add up to reality was, that the classifications of the conservation status were reversed (decreasing from left to right, not the other way around) and the conservation status was “near threatened”.
Seeing this, I was really happy, and I figured out that the thylacines must either have been successfully cloned by the masses, or that they survived in the Tasmanian jungle until the present day (which some people still believe).

Then I woke up.

Checking Wikipedia in a state of wake returned a listing of the Tasmanian wolf as ‘extinct’, of course. [:(]
I guess I really want one.

April 29, 2016:

I dreamt that I was browsing the CBB, and I noticed that quite a few threads were locked because of spam or trolling (no kitchen ads, but things like "Wat u be dooin' here, yo. U all be stoopid.")

As far as I remember, only English threads were affected, and even my Tales of Rodentèrra-thread was affected, and I was really, really angry.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I took a nap a little while ago, and I dreamed about the Powerpuff Girls. I don't remember much though except for one scene that they weren't involved in. My dad was Professor Utonium and it was late at night. He was trying to coax the Mayor, who was Angela Merkel, into eating dinner. She was deathly afraid of eating because she didn't want to accidentally show favoritism for the food. So my dad finally got her to eat a single meatball, and she said that that "only" took two hours.

Merkel spoke with this stereotypical German accent, so I'm guessing she was less the actual person and more Kate McKinnon's impression of her.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Dormouse559 wrote:I took a nap a little while ago, and I dreamed about the Powerpuff Girls. I don't remember much though except for one scene that they weren't involved in. My dad was Professor Utonium and it was late at night. He was trying to coax the Mayor, who was Angela Merkel, into eating dinner. She was deathly afraid of eating because she didn't want to accidentally show favoritism for the food. So my dad finally got her to eat a single meatball, and she said that that "only" took two hours.

Merkel spoke with this stereotypical German accent, so I'm guessing she was less the actual person and more Kate McKinnon's impression of her.
That's what you get for eating spicy meatballs before going to bed [xP]

Was the Mayor's secretary there? Did Professor Utonium put some kind of medicine/chemical in the meatballs that he was trying to make Mayor Merkel (great name for a character, btw) munch down?