(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by gestaltist »

Parlox wrote:How come i can't figure out how to create an account on the ZBB? Whenever i type markrose@zompist.com, it leads back to the zompist home page.
This is Zompist's personal email address. You have to write an email to him asking to validate your account.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

The sig I've been using on the ZBB consists mostly of

It's a dynamic image that refreshes every time the page is loaded to show one of five different short sample sentences in Poswa (not Pabappa). Would that sig be considered too distracting here? No one said anything afaik on the ZBB, but I get how it stands out may make it seem like attention seeking behavior.

For what it's worth, the bandwidth of the image is tiny ... it's just ~900 bytes, and it's hosted remotely.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Pabappa wrote: 25 Nov 2017 05:16 The sig I've been using on the ZBB consists mostly of

It's a dynamic image that refreshes every time the page is loaded to show one of five different short sample sentences in Poswa (not Pabappa). Would that sig be considered too distracting here? No one said anything afaik on the ZBB, but I get how it stands out may make it seem like attention seeking behavior.

For what it's worth, the bandwidth of the image is tiny ... it's just ~900 bytes, and it's hosted remotely.
The light red is a little garish for my taste, but no, the sig is in no way distracting to me.

The better question is: how did you make it??
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Looks like just a bit of coding (to make the php file) and a few image files is all it takes.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

OK thanks, if nobody else objects I'll put the image into my sig in a few days or so, probably with a mint-green color scheme instead of pink and purple.

The code is here:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

<?php
makeImageF("$q","Eurosti.TTF");

function makeImageF($text, $font="Eurosti.TTF", $W=550, $H=44, $A=0, $X=6, $Y=20, $fsize=12, $color=array(0x80,0x00,0x40), 
$bgcolor=array(0xFF,0xCD,0xE6)){

$numberone = "Vepis? Papopivapi wapebabom, pa?";
   $numbertwo = "Sazza, lasiafatas bafom.";
   $numberthree = "Šipaši! Bumabi!";
   $numberfour = "Papuprevis, puffi.";
   $numberfive = "Lilalupa wapapetam pallwaba.";

$numbersix = "Why? Because I grow tulips?";
 $numberseven = "Today is veterans' day.";
 $numbereight = "Hurry! Swim against the current!";
 $numbernine = "I blushed when I saw your insulting gift.";
 $numberten = "Butterflies to freedom fly.";

$a=array($numberone,$numbertwo,$numberthree,$numberfour,$numberfive);

$keykey = array_rand(array_keys($a)); 

$text = $a[array_rand($a)];

$text = $a[$keykey];

$bbb = array($numbersix,$numberseven,$numbereight,$numbernine,$numberten);
     $bext = $bbb[$keykey];

$im = @imagecreate($W, $H)
        or die("Cannot Initialize new GD image stream");

$tolor = array(0x00,0x00,0x40);

$background_color = imagecolorallocate($im, $bgcolor[0], $bgcolor[1], $bgcolor[2]);        //RGB color background.
    $text_color = imagecolorallocate($im, $color[0], $color[1], $color[2]);            //RGB color text.

$text_tolor = imagecolorallocate($im, $tolor[0], $color[1], $color[2]);     

imagettftext($im, $fsize, $A, 6, 20, $text_color, $font, $text);
     imagettftext($im, $fsize, $A, 6, 36, $text_tolor, $font, $bext);

header("Content-type: image/png");               
    return imagepng($im);
}

?>

Im sure there's a better way to do it ... Im a novice programmer at best, and PHP isnt my language ... but it works, and the bandwidth used is so tiny that Im not really worried about efficiency. I'd like to eventually make something more elaborate, perhaps a dynamically generated weather report, for which I'd need to learn at least a little bit more code so I could figure out how to position images inside other images and alongside text.

edit: got the weather thing started ... images & text together requires a whole different approach, apparently ... and I wont load it up until i can show something other than just random numbers and static images. right now at http://pabappa.com/pics/weather7.php if anyone's curious, though.
Last edited by Pabappa on 30 Nov 2017 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

We don't have a Random Sound-Changes Thread. Wouldn't we like one?
We have a Random Phoneme-Inventory Thread; and we have a Sound Change Game Thread.

Also: We don't have a Hangeulization Thread. Wouldn't we like one?
We do have a Romanization Game Thread, and a Cyrillicization Game Thread.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

eldin raigmore wrote: 30 Nov 2017 19:33 We don't have a Random Sound-Changes Thread. Wouldn't we like one?
We have a Random Phoneme-Inventory Thread; and we have a Sound Change Game Thread.
Are you saying you're going to make one?
eldin raigmore wrote: 30 Nov 2017 19:33 Also: We don't have a Hangeulization Thread. Wouldn't we like one?
We do have a Romanization Game Thread, and a Cyrillicization Game Thread.
We have this thread.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

eldin raigmore wrote: 30 Nov 2017 19:33 We don't have a Random Sound-Changes Thread. Wouldn't we like one?
We have a Random Phoneme-Inventory Thread; and we have a Sound Change Game Thread.[...]
I would post random sound change ideas in the thread you called "Random Phoneme-Inventory Thread", because I understand its title more like "random phonology ideas".
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

shimobaatar wrote: 30 Nov 2017 21:52Are you saying you're going to make one?
No; I was only looking for one.

shimobaatar wrote: 30 Nov 2017 21:52
eldin raigmore wrote: 30 Nov 2017 19:33Also: We don't have a Hangeulization Thread. Wouldn't we like one?
We have this thread.
Thanks!

Creyeditor wrote: 01 Dec 2017 12:51I would post random sound change ideas in the thread you called "Random Phoneme-Inventory Thread", because I understand its title more like "random phonology ideas".
Thanks!

----------

Where would be the best place to go, to learn about how sound-changes work, and which ones are most likely, and so on?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Questions about favorite words (or sayings) of children at various ages.
This will be asked in English, but I assume readers will know of some other natlang examples.

Before I was a father, I thought a two-year-old's favorite word was "NO!";
and a three-year-old's favorite word was "MINE!";
and a five-year-old's favorite word was "Why?" (Or "How come?" or "What for?" or other quasi-synonyms);
and a tween-ager's favorite utterance was "It's not fair!".

However, at a certain age -- single digits, but older than five, but I don't remember exactly when --
it seems my daughter's favorite assertion was "I don't need no help!".

(1) Anyone have an idea at what age a typical child says "I don't need no help" (or the equivalent) notably often?
(2) Are there parallel remarks that are the favorites of children speaking other languages?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Is there any scientific evidence that those are children's "favorite words" at certain ages? To me, those just sound like stereotypes.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

My five-year-old doesn't actually ask "why" questions very often, but she does ask a lot of questions. Often repetitious. Often things she could answer for herself if she just shut up and listened to what was going on five seconds earlier. But not very often starting with "why". She also likes shouting "it's not fair!" when my spouse or I discipline her for (what we consider to be) very reasonable reasons.

Likewise, I don't recall a "mine" phase for either of my children who have been (/are) three, or a "no" phase for my children who have been two.

Meanwhile, my three-year old has since he was two frequently insisted on doing things "by self", however much longer it takes.

So I have no idea where those stereotypes even come from. It sounds like something said by someone who's never had kids.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Eldin isn't asserting that any of those phrases are always, or have to be, said by children at the listed (or any specific) ages per se, but is instead attempting to give some setting information for discussing some early repetitive phrasing of children based on anecdotal or "old-wive's tail"-type information.

As such, I don't really recall my brother having any catch phrases like those when he was in the single-digit and over age brackets. I mean, I remember things I said to him (I'm 12 years older than him) but I don't really remember any particular phases like are described above. I'd have to talk to my mother to get info on myself or my brother since I really don't recall.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

shimobaatar wrote: 09 Jan 2018 00:24Is there any scientific evidence that those are children's "favorite words" at certain ages?
I don't know of any.
shimobaatar wrote: 09 Jan 2018 00:24To me, those just sound like stereotypes.
I'm sure the details are just stereotypes. But I think it may be that these are among the favorite phrases of many children at certain stages of development -- whatever the actual ages should be.
That said, my OP shows that, as far as my own experience with the two children I helped raise (my god-daughter and my daughter), I found other oft-used phrases a little more common than these "stereotypical" ones.

Axiem wrote: 09 Jan 2018 02:22My five-year-old doesn't actually ask "why" questions very often, but she does ask a lot of questions. Often repetitious. Often things she could answer for herself if she just shut up and listened to what was going on five seconds earlier. But not very often starting with "why".
I've heard/read it theorized that kids' favorite follow-up question is likely to be the one that, in their experience, gets the longest response from the adult -- or from adults in general, maybe. This theory says that the kids are still learning speech, and want to elicit a lot of input.
Axiem wrote: 09 Jan 2018 02:22She also likes shouting "it's not fair!" when my spouse or I discipline her for (what we consider to be) very reasonable reasons.
I'm pretty sure "Not fair!" doesn't have to wait until double-digits. It just seems that from second-hand accounts, it comes to the fore of some folks' offsprings' utterance corpus, around the ages of ten to fifteen, or something like that. I don't recall it happening with my own daughter, though.
Axiem wrote: 09 Jan 2018 02:22Likewise, I don't recall a "mine" phase for either of my children who have been (/are) three,
My daughter was 17 when her mom died; it was then that she started (in effect) saying "mine" a lot.
Axiem wrote: 09 Jan 2018 02:22or a "no" phase for my children who have been two.
When my goddaughter was about two, she became very insistent on getting things done her way, and very upset when adults didn't understand what she wanted. I think it was more about the frustration of failing to communicate than anything else.
Axiem wrote: 09 Jan 2018 02:22Meanwhile, my three-year old has since he was two frequently insisted on doing things "by self", however much longer it takes.
Like my daughter! But a different age.
Axiem wrote: 09 Jan 2018 02:22So I have no idea where those stereotypes even come from. It sounds like something said by someone who's never had kids.
I don't know where they come from, either. Also, I found my experience with child-raising varied from those stereotypes (if that's what they are) somewhat.

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 09 Jan 2018 08:58I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Eldin isn't asserting that any of those phrases are always, or have to be, said by children at the listed (or any specific) ages per se, but is instead attempting to give some setting information for discussing some early repetitive phrasing of children based on anecdotal or "old-wive's tale"-type information.
That's right.
Thrice Xandvii wrote: 09 Jan 2018 08:58As such, I don't really recall my brother having any catch phrases like those when he was in the single-digit and over age brackets. I mean, I remember things I said to him (I'm 12 years older than him) but I don't really remember any particular phases like are described above. I'd have to talk to my mother to get info on myself or my brother since I really don't recall.
Every child I've ever known well enough, has had several catchphrases, different ones at different ages.
(Except I don't remember me ever having any. But my siblings might remember some!)
Kids' catch-phrases don't usually make much sense, IME.
I think the old-wives'-tale sort of sums up favorites of many children. Any particular child's personal favorite might not be that.
I also think the ages given are probably stand-ins for something more accurate but less precise.

Anyway: Are there others? Has anyone else heard or read anything else? Are there near-equivalents in any other languages?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote: 08 Jan 2018 23:48
However, at a certain age -- single digits, but older than five, but I don't remember exactly when --
it seems my daughter's favorite assertion was "I don't need no help!".

(1) Anyone have an idea at what age a typical child says "I don't need no help" (or the equivalent) notably often?
(2) Are there parallel remarks that are the favorites of children speaking other languages?
No clue what age exactly.

But you remind me of a common trope in Spanish language commercials I have seen both in :per: and :usa:,

in which there's a young child (maybe 4-5 yrs old) who is supposed to demonstrate the ease of use of the product in question.
They will say something assertive like

La próxima vez lo hago solit@
DEF.F.SG next.F time.SG 3SG.M.OBJ do<PRS.1SG> alone.DIM.M/F
Next time I do it by myself

Yo lo hago solit@
1SG.SUB 3SG.M.OBJ do<PRS.1SG> alone.DIM.M/F
I'll do it by myself

One phrase my son loved to use in his 'inquiry stage' (4~6 yrs)was "Let's do X and see what happens".
He was a real scientist. An aggressive researcher, if you will. Do the detriment of snails, pillbugs, millipedes, spiders, wasps, bees and other creepy crawlies around the yard.
Surprsingly, not too many dinged noggins nor scraped knees.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

When I was very very young (maybe even earlier than 2) if I fell, I'd say "Nothing!" before getting up. My mom speculated that she kept asking me if anything was wrong so I got it into my head to say "nothing!" before she could ask to save time. Not sure if that logic holds but it's as good a guess for what was going on as any I have myself. I remember doing it because I think I kept it up til I was about 5 and I have some pretty strong memories still from that time, I just fell a lot less as time went on.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Lambuzhao wrote: 21 Jan 2018 15:18 One phrase my son loved to use in his 'inquiry stage' (4~6 yrs)was "Let's do X and see what happens".
He was a real scientist. An aggressive researcher, if you will. Do the detriment of snails, pillbugs, millipedes, spiders, wasps, bees and other creepy crawlies around the yard.
Surprsingly, not too many dinged noggins nor scraped knees.
[:)] [B)] [+1] [tick] Good for him!

My father used to say "All children are poets and philosophers and scientists.".
(I think it was Pinker? Could have been someone else.) who said: "All children are anthropologists, and the society they're studying is their family."?

Also; Thanks, LinguistCat!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Which is the correct English noun : —— “Tremendosity” Or “tremendousness”?
And why?
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

eldin raigmore wrote: 28 Mar 2018 20:09 Which is the correct English noun : —— “Tremendosity” Or “tremendousness”?
And why?
New Oxford American Dictionary says "tremendousness."
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Dezinaa wrote: 29 Mar 2018 01:44
eldin raigmore wrote: 28 Mar 2018 20:09 Which is the correct English noun : —— “Tremendosity” Or “tremendousness”?
And why?
New Oxford American Dictionary says "tremendousness."
Thanks!
Any idea why tremendosity is not a well formed word?