(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Creyeditor »

I was born in 1993 and I feel a lot like I am a bit in between. I grew up in a rural area and I am not really digital native as much as my little brother is for example. On the other hand, my older friends grew up very differently regarding music and media culture.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I was born in 1988 and feel I am strongly a Millennial, possibly even with some GenZ traits because I interact with alot of people younger than me, some even in high school or just starting their college years. AFAIK, while the boundary for Millennials and Gen Z-ers is particularly fuzzy, people who are under 18 are DEFINITELY Gen Z in my eyes and people as old as 23 could be seen as such, or as a Millennial.

Though to answer the question about getting alcohol, I'm pretty sure any of my friends in high school that did drink got it from older siblings or their parents' liquor cabinets or the one who looked older went to night clubs. We didn't do artisanal alcohol then, even if later there was somewhat of a push for it.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Salmoneus wrote: 20 Aug 2018 23:12 Personally, I think that, sociologically, it makes more sense to divide between 'Generation Y' or, say, 'X 2.0' or whatever and 'Millennials' proper.
There are some people who are calling the early wave of the Millennials the Xennials, or Oregon Trail generation. That is, the people who had an analog childhood but a digital adolescence. (The term Millennial, for what its worth, was given to those who were coming of age at the turn of the millennium, not those born in the new millennium)

Yes, the labels are arbitrary and are broad brushes to paint entire populations...but there are definite trends I've noticed.

In particular, as an early Millennial, I find that when I talk to people even a couple years older than I am, there feels like this massive cultural gap in terms of how we view the world, technology, and so on. On the other hand, there feels like almost no cultural gap when I interact with people in their mid-20s now. We have the same sorts of complaints about our parents ("why are they calling instead of texting?"), understand the same jokes, and so on.

It's hard for me to completely dismiss the generation idea. Though, I think it's somewhat more localized; it would quite possibly cut differently in the UK based on cultural trends there, compared to the US.
When do the Millennials end?
On that note, though, when I interact with people in their teens, it's like they're in a completely different world. The exact same sorts of cultural gaps I feel with people a few years older than I am, I feel with teenagers, and the cutoff point seems like it's somewhere around 20 years old.

From my perspective, people in high school are undoubtedly a different generation from me, and in many ways have more in common with my kids than they do me, in terms of their expectations of the world.

Or, in a silly way:
- Millennials used Facebook back when it was limited to universities and high schools
- Gen Z's don't use Facebook because only old people use it, and as far as they know, everyone's always been on Facebook
- Gen X and older are the people sharing shitty memes and terrible politics on Facebook
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Axiem wrote: 21 Aug 2018 02:50
Salmoneus wrote: 20 Aug 2018 23:12 Personally, I think that, sociologically, it makes more sense to divide between 'Generation Y' or, say, 'X 2.0' or whatever and 'Millennials' proper.
There are some people who are calling the early wave of the Millennials the Xennials, or Oregon Trail generation. That is, the people who had an analog childhood but a digital adolescence. (The term Millennial, for what its worth, was given to those who were coming of age at the turn of the millennium, not those born in the new millennium)
Yes, but I think the general use of the term has shifted over time.

Yes, the labels are arbitrary and are broad brushes to paint entire populations...but there are definite trends I've noticed.

In particular, as an early Millennial, I find that when I talk to people even a couple years older than I am, there feels like this massive cultural gap in terms of how we view the world, technology, and so on. On the other hand, there feels like almost no cultural gap when I interact with people in their mid-20s now. We have the same sorts of complaints about our parents ("why are they calling instead of texting?"), understand the same jokes, and so on.
Whereas I've found a major gap talking to people just a couple of years younger than me. For instance, my friends and I, when arranging to meet somewhere, would use a combination of e-mails (at a distance) and then text messages (near to the place/time) (though admittedly whatsapp has been taking over both functions more recently); but one of my friends has a husband a few years younger and he and his friends would arrange everything, even down to the level of 'hi I'm here but I can't see you which table are you at?' through Facebook on their smartphones - I know it seems like a small thing, but it represents, I think, how social media shifted between the generations from "a way some of us keep up with people we don't see often" to "the central index of all parts of life". Similarly, that guy and his friends follow youtubers; whereas we just sometimes search for something on youtube and instinctively think that youtubers aren't real celebrities and should get a proper job. [That guy and his friends are also, incidentally, "politically" engaged online]

The 'same jokes' thing is a big issue for me, I think. The cultural, and particularly comedic, touchstones of my development are alien, or at least non-native, to 'true Millennials'. I mean, someone born in 1993 was 4 when classic Simpsons ended*. The comedic language I inherited from Gen-X - Blackadder, Drop the Dead Donkey, Yes Minister and Red Dwarf repeats, Deayton-era HIGNFY - is largely (except maybe blackadder, thanks to history teachers filling time on the last day of term) foreign to millennials, the language my peers were developing (which I never took to) of Shooting Stars and the Fast Show and the League of Gentlemen and so on is even more obscure, and even the American shows we started importing later - comedies like Friends and Frasier (though I never much liked Frasier) and above all the Simpsons, and comic dramas like Buffy and The West Wing - may be recognised but aren't part of their core vocabulary the way they were for us. Even the simpsons jokes they still reference, they often don't even know what they're referencing.

I mean, someone who's 21 today - they were born in 1997, so they never saw classic Simpsons live and even in the UK they probably didn't see repeats (other than by browsing through digital backwaters at 11 at night), and they were 6 when Buffy ended. The Red Dwarf revival that electrified my (admittedly geeky) peers with excitement? They were just born when VII disappointed, and were 2 for the catastrophe of VIII. But still only 15 when X began the second revival! They were just born or 1 year old at the time of Izzard's Glorious and Dressed to Kill. How can I hope to share a comedic language with this people? I mean gosh darnit, these people were 12 when the Wire was shown in the UK!

*in the UK, we got it later - 'real' Simpsons for me ran at 6pm daily on BBC2 from 1997 to 2006, the first 14 series, after which the show ceased to exist, other than a few repeats on C4.
It's hard for me to completely dismiss the generation idea. Though, I think it's somewhat more localized; it would quite possibly cut differently in the UK based on cultural trends there, compared to the US.
In the UK it's complicated. We did have our own eras, delayed - our 90s were basically the grimier, cooler, sleazier extension of the 80s, and the American 90s of Bill Clinton (/Tony Blair, our version) and optimism and the third way and all that only made it over here in 1997. But of course, technological changes happened here the same time as over there, and over the last couple of decades we've been synching up to US TV, from "never happen" through to "probably a five year delay for most things" right up to "airs the week after but everyone's watched online by then" and "wait, does the UK actually have its own TV anymore?".
Or, in a silly way:
- Millennials used Facebook back when it was limited to universities and high schools
Except no! MY (I think OUR?) generation used (or didn't use Facebook) back then. But from 2006, it was open to anyone 13 or over, so anyone born 1993 or later has always had Facebook-for-everyone.

I think my categorisation would be:
-pre-Boomers either haven't heard of Facebook or use it extensively
- Boomers claim not to have time to use Facebook, but when they do use Facebook, they tell people about it
- Generation X use Facebook, but only ironically
- "Xennials" mostly took enthusiastically to Facebook as a shiny new thing, but came to it during the universities-era when it was a replacement for FriendsReunited and MySpace, and still basically view it as a tool for keeping in touch and maybe a surrogate blog (Generation Y had blogs! And internet forums! And maybe even chatrooms!)
- Millennials have always had Facebook, and it's the core of their existence (though fashionable ones may be moving away from it to other social media platforms, often linked to their Facebook)
- Zs have Facebook to placate their parents, but it's not linked to their other social media accounts (which may also not be linked).
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Salmoneus wrote: 21 Aug 2018 13:14 Yes, but I think the general use of the term has shifted over time.
I mean, the number of people (generally Boomers) who basically just use it to mean "kids these days"...

(But I'm going with the definition that all the polling firms use, which is early-80's-to-mid-90's)
Whereas I've found a major gap talking to people just a couple of years younger than me. For instance, my friends and I, when arranging to meet somewhere, would use a combination of e-mails (at a distance) and then text messages (near to the place/time) (though admittedly whatsapp has been taking over both functions more recently); but one of my friends has a husband a few years younger and he and his friends would arrange everything, even down to the level of 'hi I'm here but I can't see you which table are you at?' through Facebook on their smartphones - I know it seems like a small thing, but it represents, I think, how social media shifted between the generations from "a way some of us keep up with people we don't see often" to "the central index of all parts of life". Similarly, that guy and his friends follow youtubers; whereas we just sometimes search for something on youtube and instinctively think that youtubers aren't real celebrities and should get a proper job. [That guy and his friends are also, incidentally, "politically" engaged online]
The gap you're describing is exactly the gap I have between myself (born in 1984) and people a few years older than me. I only use e-mail to interact with businesses and get newsletters; any actual discussion with friends happens over Signal, Facebook, or texting (depending on the person).

Also, I follow youtubers, and it's weird to me that people wouldn't. (Though I don't do it in Youtube itself, but rather through their Patreons and following them on social media to find out when they get new videos posted)
Blackadder, Drop the Dead Donkey, Yes Minister and Red Dwarf repeats, Deayton-era HIGNFY
The only one of those I'm even remotely familiar with is Red Dwarf, and I think I've maybe seen one episode once?
Except no! MY (I think OUR?) generation used (or didn't use Facebook) back then.
You keep sounding like a Gen Xer. I was on Facebook day 1 that it was available at my college, as were many of my friends. One of my friends from high school went to Harvard and is has a Facebook user ID in the 2-digits. Yes, it wasn't there when I was in high school or my first year or so of college, but it quickly became ubiquitous.
- Boomers claim not to have time to use Facebook, but when they do use Facebook, they tell people about it
I'm quite the opposite on this. All the Boomers on Facebook I know are the most active users and are the ones always posting stupid things.
a replacement for FriendsReunited and MySpace
I've never heard of the first one, and the second one was dead long before I touched a university campus.
- Millennials have always had Facebook, and it's the core of their existence
I don't see this as a differentiator between early-wave-Millennials and late-wave-Millennials. I know plenty of early-wave-Millennials who are always on Facebook and use it to organize their social lives, basically; and I know plenty of late-wave-Millennials who barely use it. It's more that all of us recognize its ubiquity and utility, but engage it in different ways for various reasons. But it's not like "how weird are those people for using this new-fangled thing! Back in my day..."; it's more like how we accept that different people watch sports in different amounts, but sports are still always there.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

It's 2018, and we still don't have a social media site that allows one to customise one's own font family, font size, font colour or even background picture. I'd be more interested otherwise.

Yes, I know that some sites had such features in the past, but it's about the here and now.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Reyzadren wrote: 22 Aug 2018 00:04 It's 2018, and we still don't have a social media site that allows one to customise one's own font family, font size, font colour or even background picture. I'd be more interested otherwise.

Yes, I know that some sites had such features in the past, but it's about the here and now.
oh god no, the boomers would use Papyrus and comic sans
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

Reyzadren wrote: 22 Aug 2018 00:04 It's 2018, and we still don't have a social media site that allows one to customise one's own font family, font size, font colour or even background picture. I'd be more interested otherwise.
When you work in the field of physical sciences, you tend to get the occasional crackpot spam from enthusiastic kitchen theoreticians explaining their personal go at a theory of everything in a selection of colourful fonts, in larger than default point size, short lines, and center alignment. It quickly becomes clear that a whimsical presentation at least doesn't do any good for getting your message across.

A well thought out uniform style that gets out of the way is king, and we should know it. After all, it's 2018.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

gach wrote: 22 Aug 2018 18:58
When you work in the field of physical sciences, you tend to get the occasional crackpot spam from enthusiastic kitchen theoreticians explaining their personal go at a theory of everything in a selection of colourful fonts, in larger than default point size, short lines, and center alignment. It quickly becomes clear that a whimsical presentation at least doesn't do any good for getting your message across.

A well thought out uniform style that gets out of the way is king, and we should know it. After all, it's 2018.
It's so funny that I can tell *exactly* what you're talking about.Timecube?
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

qwed117 wrote: 22 Aug 2018 22:49 It's so funny that I can tell *exactly* what you're talking about.Timecube?
Haven't actually received any of his, it's just that the same format is used by other people as well. Back in 2012 I received a long email from someone who claimed to have build a concise model of particle physics fully based on Euclidian 2D geometry, all presented with endless figures and center aligned text in a big mostly blue font.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

gach wrote: 22 Aug 2018 23:40
qwed117 wrote: 22 Aug 2018 22:49 It's so funny that I can tell *exactly* what you're talking about.Timecube?
Haven't actually received any of his, it's just that the same format is used by other people as well. Back in 2012 I received a long email from someone who claimed to have build a concise model of particle physics fully based on Euclidian 2D geometry, all presented with endless figures and center aligned text in a big mostly blue font.
Your failure to reproduce his conclusions can surely be blamed on your failure to employ the correct blue font.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Reyzadren wrote: 22 Aug 2018 00:04 It's 2018, and we still don't have a social media site that allows one to customise one's own font family, font size, font colour or even background picture. I'd be more interested otherwise
on a pc we can always set your applications to receive everything in your preferred font and size...
I tried with my conscrpts, difficult to read ... but the adapted size allows me to read without glasses despite my presbyopia (baby-boomer here) ...
this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by this_is_an_account »

So I used to be a Rupestrian, and now I'm a Hieroglophic. I'm guessing these levels are based on writing systems? What levels are there? How do you level up?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

this_is_an_account wrote: 24 Aug 2018 04:45 So I used to be a Rupestrian, and now I'm a Hieroglophic. I'm guessing these levels are based on writing systems? What levels are there? How do you level up?
The writing system-themed ranks are based on post count, so you "level up" after reaching a certain number of posts. I'm not sure what the milestones are, and I don't know how many of them there are.

Edit: I think the most up-to-date list can be found here.

However, there are also "closed" ranks that are awarded by Mods based on other achievements. For example, I am part of the "darkness" group. To qualify for that group, a user must "Post several detailed descriptions on the phonology of a conlang. This requires more than a simple phoneme inventory". If you go to your "User Control Panel", and look under "Usergroups", you should be able to find more information about the requirements for each of these closed ranks.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

shimobaatar wrote: 24 Aug 2018 08:06 However, there are also "closed" ranks that are awarded by Mods based on other achievements. For example, I am part of the "darkness" group. To qualify for that group, a user must "Post several detailed descriptions on the phonology of a conlang. This requires more than a simple phoneme inventory". If you go to your "User Control Panel", and look under "Usergroups", you should be able to find more information about the requirements for each of these closed ranks.
Very few of these seem to have been awarded in the last few years, as far as I can tell. I’m sure lots of people have qualified for ranks, but since hardly anyone knows or remembers they exist, they haven’t pursued them.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

DesEsseintes wrote: 24 Aug 2018 08:41
shimobaatar wrote: 24 Aug 2018 08:06 However, there are also "closed" ranks that are awarded by Mods based on other achievements. For example, I am part of the "darkness" group. To qualify for that group, a user must "Post several detailed descriptions on the phonology of a conlang. This requires more than a simple phoneme inventory". If you go to your "User Control Panel", and look under "Usergroups", you should be able to find more information about the requirements for each of these closed ranks.
Very few of these seem to have been awarded in the last few years, as far as I can tell. I’m sure lots of people have qualified for ranks, but since hardly anyone knows or remembers they exist, they haven’t pursued them.
I tried to get one of those for myself and somebody else (can't remember). The response I got from the mods was more or less "sure, when we get around to it". This was about 2-3 years ago... So I guess the closed ranks are as good as gone.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

gestaltist wrote: 24 Aug 2018 10:22
DesEsseintes wrote: 24 Aug 2018 08:41
I tried to get one of those for myself and somebody else (can't remember). The response I got from the mods was more or less "sure, when we get around to it". This was about 2-3 years ago... So I guess the closed ranks are as good as gone.
I got a few PMs from Adarain and Frislander last year about the closed ranks (like the Darkness group), but becoming a member of any closed group seems to involve the following actions:

1) Go to the "Usergroups" section of your User Control Panel:
2) Go into the particular usergroup you're interesting in joining
3) Contact one of the "leaders" of that usergroup (sometimes this is a moderator, sometimes not, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be made explicitly clear who the group leader actually is)
4) Hope the "leader" you've contacted does anything about it.

I think I told one of either Adarain or Frislander at the time that I'd never really paid attention to the rank/group system, even before being made a moderator, but obviously some people do.

I did ask whether moderators could change the ranks people are awarded ourselves, since we do have a separate thread in our own little subsection of the forum where rank nominations can be mentioned and discussed, but I never got a reply.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Thanks for the explanation sangi39. The problem is that the Usergroups section doesn't mention anywhere who the group leader is so I guess there's no way to do anything about it.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

gestaltist wrote: 25 Aug 2018 21:10 Thanks for the explanation sangi39. The problem is that the Usergroups section doesn't mention anywhere who the group leader is so I guess there's no way to do anything about it.
I swear it used to, once upon a time, or maybe I'm imagining things.

You could send out a PM to every member of the usergroup (since you can send a single PM to multiple users at the same time, it's just a case of adding recipients), and then hope the group leader replies.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

sangi39 wrote: 25 Aug 2018 21:50
gestaltist wrote: 25 Aug 2018 21:10 Thanks for the explanation sangi39. The problem is that the Usergroups section doesn't mention anywhere who the group leader is so I guess there's no way to do anything about it.
I swear it used to, once upon a time, or maybe I'm imagining things.

You could send out a PM to every member of the usergroup (since you can send a single PM to multiple users at the same time, it's just a case of adding recipients), and then hope the group leader replies.
This might be more a question for Aszev.

I know I've sent a couple PMs to mods regarding these ranks as well (once for myself and several times for others) but never heard back. The last time I took stock, I think I was eligible for something like eleven of these ranks. And I know very well that there are many others here who are similarly eligible for multiple ranks.