(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Axiem »

elemtilas wrote: 30 Aug 2018 01:34 the deepest jungles of Brasil
It's worth noting that the original formulation of generational theory was explicitly to describe American generations.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by this_is_an_account »

How does one make one of those code things with the green monospace font?
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

this_is_an_account wrote: 04 Sep 2018 21:56 How does one make one of those code things with the green monospace font?
The way to do it is type something up in Notepad using a monospace font (like Courier New). Then copy the text from Notepad into the "code" brackets (press the button to the right of the "quote" button in the text editor).
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 04 Sep 2018 22:15
this_is_an_account wrote: 04 Sep 2018 21:56 How does one make one of those code things with the green monospace font?
The way to do it is type something up in Notepad using a monospace font (like Courier New). Then copy the text from Notepad into the "code" brackets (press the button to the right of the "quote" button in the text editor).
This, pretty much. Just one thing: Notepad isn't a necessity; you can use the text editor of your choice, as long as you've got a monospace font.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Yeah, I guess I never tried it with a different editor. I will say that I've never gotten it to work on Mac, no matter what editor I use. Only seems to work with Windows for me.
this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by this_is_an_account »

Dormouse559 wrote: 04 Sep 2018 22:59
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 04 Sep 2018 22:15
This, pretty much. Just one thing: Notepad isn't a necessity; you can use the text editor of your choice, as long as you've got a monospace font.

Code: Select all

Testing
With
W o r d

Testing
With
Just
T y p i n g
Looks like just typing it in here works fine
Edit: Wait nvm I misunderstood you
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 04 Sep 2018 23:14 Yeah, I guess I never tried it with a different editor. I will say that I've never gotten it to work on Mac, no matter what editor I use. Only seems to work with Windows for me.
Hmm, I've written all my code tables in Mac Pages, and they've always worked fine for me.

this_is_an_account wrote: 05 Sep 2018 02:13 Looks like just typing it in here works fine
Edit: Wait nvm I misunderstood you
Ah, yeah. I should have said "word processor", not "text editor".
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Dormouse559 wrote: 05 Sep 2018 15:51 Hmm, I've written all my code tables in Mac Pages, and they've always worked fine for me.
Really? Well I just tried again. Here's Pages:

CASE		SINGULAR		DUAL			PLURAL
NOM		léhēn			léhenē		léhenes
GEN		lhnés			lhnéyaus		lhnān
And with Notepad on Windows:

CASE	SINGULAR	DUAL		PLURAL
NOM	léhen		léhenē		léhenes
GEN	lhnés		lhnéyaus	lhnān
Both using Courier New Size 12. Never works quite right on the Mac for me [:(] It's a 2017 13" MacBook Pro. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 05 Sep 2018 18:00 Really? Well I just tried again. Here's Pages:
[…]
Both using Courier New Size 12. Never works quite right on the Mac for me [:(] It's a 2017 13" MacBook Pro. Not sure if that makes a difference.
I see the issue. You're using tabs, which will vary from program to program. Spaces are more universal because they will always be the same width as a character.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Cool thanks [:D]

Test with TextEditor:

CASE     SINGULAR    DUAL      PLURAL
NOM      léhēn       léhenē    léhenes
GEN      lhnés       lhnéyaus  lhnān
Yay. I honestly much prefer to use Mac, so it always bugs me when something works better on Windows than on Mac.
fruityloops
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fruityloops »

I don't know if this belongs here but I wanna ask, in my world, the main races are mainly humanoid arthropods of different kinds and a few of them can produce silk. what impact would this have on society?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

fruityloops wrote: 18 Sep 2018 20:21 I don't know if this belongs here but I wanna ask, in my world, the main races are mainly humanoid arthropods of different kinds and a few of them can produce silk. what impact would this have on society?
Well, you mentioned the obvious in your world's thread: slavery. What the nature of this slavery ends up being, will I think be an interesting bit of research for you. I.e., how might an insectoid-like humanoid-like culture approach that as a means of engaging in economic development.

Otherwise, like with human culture, silk would simply provide yet another material from which to craft articles made from cloth. If they're like Men, they will discover that cloth has practical value in the form of clothing. If they're like the Daine, they'll discover that cloth has amazing decorative properties that far outweigh any mere utilitarian considerations.

Silk, being the domain of silk producing people, they may come to the realisation that their cloth is, generally speaking, quite rare. And thus other people will pay dearly for it. And thus set themselves up as a mercantile empire: sole producers, weavers and crafters of silk articles. This could lead other, non-silk producing peoples to try and steal away silk-moth people to enslave them and thus set themselves up in competition.

A question to consider: since silk is a natural production of these people's bodies, would they consider it kind of icky to wear a silk garment (in the way a human might feel kind of viscerally adverse to wearing gloves made from human skin or a scarf made from hair stolen from other people?
fruityloops
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by fruityloops »

elemtilas wrote: 18 Sep 2018 21:52
fruityloops wrote: 18 Sep 2018 20:21 I don't know if this belongs here but I wanna ask, in my world, the main races are mainly humanoid arthropods of different kinds and a few of them can produce silk. what impact would this have on society?
Well, you mentioned the obvious in your world's thread: slavery. What the nature of this slavery ends up being, will I think be an interesting bit of research for you. I.e., how might an insectoid-like humanoid-like culture approach that as a means of engaging in economic development.

Otherwise, like with human culture, silk would simply provide yet another material from which to craft articles made from cloth. If they're like Men, they will discover that cloth has practical value in the form of clothing. If they're like the Daine, they'll discover that cloth has amazing decorative properties that far outweigh any mere utilitarian considerations.

Silk, being the domain of silk producing people, they may come to the realisation that their cloth is, generally speaking, quite rare. And thus other people will pay dearly for it. And thus set themselves up as a mercantile empire: sole producers, weavers and crafters of silk articles. This could lead other, non-silk producing peoples to try and steal away silk-moth people to enslave them and thus set themselves up in competition.

A question to consider: since silk is a natural production of these people's bodies, would they consider it kind of icky to wear a silk garment (in the way a human might feel kind of viscerally adverse to wearing gloves made from human skin or a scarf made from hair stolen from other people?

my moths prefer to wear silk from other races than their own. they find it rude to wear your slik.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

fruityloops wrote: 18 Sep 2018 23:17my moths prefer to wear silk from other races than their own. they find it rude to wear your slik.
Which makes perfect sense. Who wears shoes made of human leather?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

WeepingElf wrote: 22 Sep 2018 18:51
fruityloops wrote: 18 Sep 2018 23:17my moths prefer to wear silk from other races than their own. they find it rude to wear your slik.
And it's not as if anyone puts another person's hair on their head … Wait.

But seriously, aren't human-hair wigs a better analog for silk than human skin?
egency
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by egency »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 05 Sep 2018 20:21 Yay. I honestly much prefer to use Mac, so it always bugs me when something works better on Windows than on Mac.
The issue isn't actually the Mac at all, it's the tabs. Coders fight holy wars over tabs all the time because the size of a tab is dependent on a value called the "tab stop" (this is a hold-over from typewriters where there was a literal stop mechanism for tabs). What happens though is that nobody seem to agree on how big a tab stop really is. It's fairly common to make it equal to eight spaces, some people prefer four, I personally use two. This means that if you insert a single tab it can create anything from two to eight spaces and thus if you try to align text using tabs... Yeah, holy wars ensue.

This becomes even more problematic with proportional fonts since now a "space" isn't a fixed size either (nor is anything else for that matter), so all possibility of aligning anything has been messed up.

So if you want consistent aligning (ignoring the issue of proportional fonts) use spaces and avoid tabs. This is pretty much the best one can get without a huge amount of trouble to create custom solutions.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Dormouse559 wrote: 22 Sep 2018 19:13
And it's not as if anyone puts another person's hair on their head … Wait.

But seriously, aren't human-hair wigs a better analog for silk than human skin?
True; but AFAIK the process of obtaining silk kills the larva in the cocoon, while human hair can be harvested without harming the person on whose head it grows.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

WeepingElf wrote: 22 Sep 2018 23:53True; but AFAIK the process of obtaining silk kills the larva in the cocoon, while human hair can be harvested without harming the person on whose head it grows.
Also true, for real silk worms. But if that's also the case of fruityloops' arthropods, it seems their tolerance for killing is higher than I've assumed; fruityloops hasn't mentioned it as a factor in views of the silk.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Well, Dr. John Osborne, for one.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Dormouse559 wrote: 23 Sep 2018 00:03
WeepingElf wrote: 22 Sep 2018 23:53True; but AFAIK the process of obtaining silk kills the larva in the cocoon, while human hair can be harvested without harming the person on whose head it grows.
Also true, for real silk worms. But if that's also the case of fruityloops' arthropods, it seems their tolerance for killing is higher than I've assumed; fruityloops hasn't mentioned it as a factor in views of the silk.
Well, Mothfolk in question apparently have no problem "... wear(ing) silk from other races than their own. they find it rude to wear your slik."