Metal Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
sangi39

Re: Metal Thread

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote:
Only five days ago, I wrote:Merry anniversary of the birth of our lord and savior, everyone!
Spoiler:
And now he's been killed by death. Damn. A moment of loudness for Lemmy. [:(]
That's what surprised me the most about this. He'd been all over my Facebook feed for a couple of days of Christmas because of his 70th birthday, and now the band is saying he'd been diagnosed with cancer just two days later. I can't say I was a fan of Motörhead, but with Ace of Spades being a damn good song and their influence on Metal as a genre in general, whether directly or indirectly, this came as a pretty big shock. I honestly thought, when I saw people from the UK at basically 2am talking about him, were just continuing the celebrations, but reading further, it was... well it was not what I was expecting.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Nordman has been for a while one of my favorite non-metal groups, so imagine my surprise when I found a metal cover of one of there songs (though somehow it's slower then the original):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9h7j6BLUdc
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

This might raise some ire, but as an EDM fan, I can't help but feel that Dubstep is to EDM as Metal is to Rock and other forms of guitar-based music. Both Metal and Dubstep are genres intentionally made to be "heavier" and "darker" compared to their related genres. Both are often criticized as being a bunch of "incoherent noise" by those who don't listen to them. They both have distinct instruments that are an acquired taste: screaming vocals for Metal, intense wobble bass for Dubstep. Hell, "filthy/dirty" is basically the dubstep equivalent to "heavy/brutal" in Metal. Both also have related genres that achieved popularity and were considered not "true": Nu-Metal for Metal, and Brostep for Dubstep. Britain plays a heavy role in both of their beginnings.

Granted the two occupy vastly different musical subcultures, but I found this funny. Ironic that the two subcultures hate each other.

///////////

On /r/metal I heard someone say that Melodeath isn't "real metal" (he called it "-core-less Metalcore", which makes...zero sense). At this point I have no clue what the fuck "real" metal is, as its definition appears to change every five minutes.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Ironic that the two subcultures hate each other. 
...and yet Metalstep exists.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Urgh...
Just one time.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

sangi39 wrote:Urgh...
You don't like metalstep?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Ahzoh wrote:
You don't like metalstep?
Not particularly, but my "urgh" was aimed at the post before yours.
Just one time.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

[shouldn't have lost it like that]
Last edited by Chagen on 05 Jan 2016 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Chagen wrote:
[snip]
I think the response may have been to the petty inter-group fighting over trivialities that you described in your post, not your analysis of different genres. So not really directed at you at all.

And even if it was, that's one hell of a reaction to "urgh". Try to remember what board you're on.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Sorry.

I am basically...falling apart right now in my personal life and feel awful right now.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I actually missed all of this, but at the same time, I should really apologise for "urgh" anyway. It was a fairly ambiguous response. It wasn't clear who it was aimed at, not to which point specifically it was aimed at. If that upset Chagen, then fair enough, Chagen can be upset. I wasn't clear, so that's at least partly my fault.

As for what my "urgh" was actually aimed at, Xonen's right in that it wasn't aimed at your analysis of different genres, however, it wasn't really aimed at the in-fighting either. In-fighting sucks, and it is an issue in Metal (and in other genres, I assume).

My "urgh" was aimed at the fact that maybe half of Chagen's posts in this thread seem to characterise Metalheads as argumentative, elitist idiots who fight with everyone and everything going, and the fact that it's not the first post Chagen's made of that nature. Fair enough, negative experiences create negative impressions, but these kinds of posts get a little tiring.

I'll admit that's a sucky thing to say at the very least, but at the end of the day, that's just how I feel. I feel like I'm being lumped in with a bunch of people I don't like or agree with and that's not a great way to feel.
Just one time.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

If the shoe don't fit, then why take it personally if someone rants about it? At least I don't feel like I'm being lumped together with anyone here.

Also, there is an element of elitism in some metal circles, and I even recognize some of myself in that - albeit mostly my younger self. And that, I think, is the key issue here: youth subcultures in general seem to have a tendency towards pretty intense factionalism and conflict-seeking. IME, most people grow out of it by about 25.

Not that adults don't have subcultures based on hatred, of course, but those tend to focus on important stuff. Like, you know, religion, sexuality and skin color. [¬.¬]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote:If the shoe don't fit, then why take it personally if someone rants about it? At least I don't feel like I'm being lumped together with anyone here.

Also, there is an element of elitism in some metal circles, and I even recognize some of myself in that - albeit mostly my younger self. And that, I think, is the key issue here: youth subcultures in general seem to have a tendency towards pretty intense factionalism and conflict-seeking. IME, most people grow out of it by about 25.

Not that adults don't have subcultures based on hatred, of course, but those tend to focus on important stuff. Like, you know, religion, sexuality and skin color. [¬.¬]
Oh, I'm definitely not denying that there's a degree of elitism with metal circles. I think I mentioned fairly early on the this thread that the Rock/Metal society at my university was basically taken over by Black Metal "purists" who wouldn't play anything other than Black Metal, would only arrange events where that kind of music would be played and only that kind of music and more or less excluded any body else. It sucked, and I never joined because of it.

I'm pretty sure that I've also mentioned earlier in this thread, that, as you've pointed out, most people do tend to grow out of it...

Actually, no. We've basically been over this before back on like page 4 over a year ago...
Just one time.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

sangi39 wrote:Actually, no. We've basically been over this before back on like page 4 over a year ago...
So it seems; I'd mostly forgotten about that, actually. Still, I see nothing worth getting personally offended about.

In any case, though, it might indeed be time to bury this particular horse carcass. Anyone who starts dissing music for not being "real" metal (or blues or jazz or mbaqanga or whatever) is probably not worth listening to, and even less worth ranting about on an unrelated board.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote:
sangi39 wrote:Actually, no. We've basically been over this before back on like page 4 over a year ago...
So it seems; I'd mostly forgotten about that, actually. Still, I see nothing worth getting personally offended about.

In any case, though, it might indeed be time to bury this particular horse carcass. Anyone who starts dissing music for not being "real" metal (or blues or jazz or mbaqanga or whatever) is probably not worth listening to, and even less worth ranting about on an unrelated board.
Agreed. If someone judges you on the basis of whether you listen to "real" metal, or "real" anything and makes you feel excluded or bad for having the tastes you have, then they're really not worth your time. As my (kind of) girlfriend said last night "Listen to stuff because you like it, not because of its genre", regardless of what anyone might think.
Just one time.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

On a more fun note, I've received my ticket to go see Týr play in York next month, and I've just ordered my tickets to go see Korpiklaani play in Leeds in April. If Týr calls York Jorvik that night, I will be immensely happy.

I'm actually a little nervous about going to see Týr. I'm going to see them on my own in a venue I've never been too. I've seen bands on my own before (Chimaira and Lamb of God) but they were at a venue I went to frequently (Corporation in Sheffield). Still really excited though.

Korpiklaani, though, I'm going with someone else. I'm not sure they know the venue or not, but at least I won't be going there alone, so the nerves are minimal there.

And at the end of the day, that's two bands that I've wanted to see for years, and I can finally go and see them. So happy! [:D]
Just one time.
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Okay, so not exactly metal, but close enough for today (also, I'm a sucker for kick-ass bass lines no matter the genre). Bad time to be a rock legend with a birthday. [:(]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Xonen wrote:Okay, so not exactly metal, but close enough for today (also, I'm a sucker for kick-ass bass lines no matter the genre). Bad time to be a rock legend with a birthday. [:(]
Given the recent death of Lemmy (I know a few people who were had the day off to watch his funeral) I'd say it's pretty appropriate. A few metal artists on Facebook have shared the news as well, Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil, for one, so he definitely has a following within typically metal circles as well.

And yeah, the birthday followed by death thing was pretty scary, happening twice. Since bad things happen in threes, Eddie Van Halen could be next.
Just one time.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments ... ts/cyw44vv

/r/metal showing off once against how Metal's fanbase is the most insufferable music fanbase in the entire fucking world
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Chagen wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments ... ts/cyw44vv

/r/metal showing off once against how Metal's fanbase is the most insufferable music fanbase in the entire fucking world
What the hell, man? I was just trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here. [>_<] But apparently you do mean to make insulting generalizations about metal fans, and even after you've been specifically asked to stop (not to mention despite the fact that insulting generalizations about groups of people are against board rules in general). So thanks for proving me wrong, I guess.

And BTW, /r/metal ≠ "Metal's fanbase". For fuck's sake. :roll: