Language practice thread

A forum dedicated to the studying of natural languages and for discussions in languages other than English.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Language practice thread

Post by Lambuzhao »

Egerius wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:¿Por qué no te gustas los préstamos?
Why don't you like loanwords?
Sindon ealle frencisce þá ƿord þe ne lícigað mec, and þær ƿæron ealde ƿord ƿé næbbað ná már.
It is all those French words that do not please me, and there were old words we don't have no more...
Ic sóþlice æfestig nú hwíle big eom.
I'm really jealous right about now.
[>:D]

Ic [<3] ealdengliscan sprǽċe!
:mrgreen:
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Lambuzhao wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:¿Cómo puedo intentar no estar cansado? :wat:
How can I try to not be tired?
¡Puje! ¡Puje!
Push! Push!
注意括约肌
Attention aux sphincters.
Mind the sphincters.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

:grc:

ἢ σφῖγξον ἢ μὴ σφίγξῃς· οὐκ ἔνι πεῖρα ἔνεμα.
[ε: sphi:ŋ.ksõn ε: mε: sphi:ŋ.ksε:js | u:k ẽ.ni ẽ.nẽ.ma]
CNJ sphinct<AOR.IMPTV>2SG CNJ PROHIB sphinct<AOR.SBJV>2SG | NEG exist<PRS>3SG {attempt.F.NOM.SG} clyster.NOM.SG
Sphinct or sphinct not; there is no easy way out.

Σφίγγειν ἢ μὴ σφίγγειν· τοῦτό ἐστι τὸ ἐρώτημα.
[ sphi:ŋ.gε:n ε: mε: sphi:ŋ.gε:n| tu:.to e.sti to e.ro:.tε:.ma]
To sphinct or not to sphinct: that is the question.

I think I just gave Koine a colonoscopy (!)
[o.O]
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Egerius wrote:Sindon ealle frencisce þá ƿord þe ne lícigað mec, and þær ƿæron ealde ƿord ƿé næbbað ná már.
It is all those French words that do not please me, and there were old words we don't have no more...
Les mots français me rendent heureux.
The French words make me happy.
[:D]

Aussi, c'est seulement à cause du vocabulaire français/latin partagé que je peux lire même un peu d'allemand.
And also, it's only because of the shared French/Latin vocabulary that I can read even a little German.

Le côté germanique de l'anglais est trop bizarre.
English's Germanic side is too weird.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Lambuzhao wrote:I think I just gave Koine a colonoscopy (!) [o.O]
Elle devrait fermer les yeux et penser à Μύκονος.
It should close its eyes and think of Mykonos.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

shimobaatar wrote:¿Por qué no te gustas gustan los préstamos?
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Kichwa changu kimejaa fikira na mawazo, lakini nimechoka sana kiasi kwamba ninaumwa na macho yangu.
I've got a head full of thoughts and ideas, but I'm so tired that my eyes hurt.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Egerius wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:¿Por qué no te gustas los préstamos?
Sindon ealle frencisce þá ƿord þe ne lícigað mec, and þær ƿæron ealde ƿord ƿé næbbað ná már.
¿Por qué no te gustan las palabras franceses? La muerte de algunas palabras es una parte natural de la evolución de un idioma.
Why don't you like French words? The death of certain words is a natural part of a language's evolution.

Lambuzhao wrote: sin embargo el contexto justo después de tu acotación se simulaba como yo reclamaba de tu pedida.
but the context right after your quote could have made it look like I was complaining about your request.

Basta decir que de veras no me quejaba con nada, pero, de todas maneras, lo dejaba de una interpretación variable.
Suffice to say that I really wasn't, but I left it open anyway.

Era injusto de una manera. Lo siento por la ambigüedad sintáctica. Simplemente no lo podía resistir.
That was kind of unfair. Sorry for the syntactial duplicity. I just could not resist.
[:$]
ああ、すみません。分かりませんでした。 [>_<]
Ā, sumimasen. Wakarimasen deshita.
Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't get that.

GrandPiano wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:¿Por qué no te gustas gustan los préstamos?
Claro. Por lo menos, fue un error de ortografía y no un error de gramática. Entonces, fue un error de ortografía que se pareció a un error de gramática.
Of course. At least it was a typo and not a grammar mistake. Well, it was a typo that looked like a grammar mistake.

Imralu wrote:Kichwa changu kimejaa fikira na mawazo, lakini nimechoka sana kiasi kwamba ninaumwa na macho yangu.
I've got a head full of thoughts and ideas, but I'm so tired that my eyes hurt.
Puedo identificarme.
I can relate.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

shimobaatar wrote:ああ、すみません。分かりませんでした。 [>_<]
あなたの日本語はとても丁寧だ。ここで原形をお互いに用いるの?
Anata no nihongo wa totemo tēnē da. Koko de genkē wo otagai ni mochīru no?
Your Japanese is very polite. Wouldn't we use the dictionary form with each other here?
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

All4Ɇn wrote:
Your Japanese is very polite. Wouldn't we use the dictionary form with each other here?
また一方で、人によって考えが違うかもしれませんが、All4Ɇnさんの言い方は馴れ馴れしいように思う人もいるかなー?「あなた」と言っててくれるなんて... [>_<]
On the other hand, whilst people's opinions on this may vary, there might be those who find All4Ɇn's way of speaking overly familiar. Saying things like "you" and whatnot...
Spoiler:
I actually don't mind either way, and I think foreigners learning Japanese worry about the use of teineigo too much. On the other hand, I've also been told by Japanese friends that some people find it inappropriate for foreigners not to use teineigo, and that it grates when they fail to.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

DesEsseintes wrote:Saying things like "you" and whatnot...
J'ai passé quelque temps en envisageant si j'aurais dû utiliser anata dans cette phrase. En fin de compte, j'ai décidé à le utiliser.
I spent awhile thinking about whether or not I should have used anata in that sentence. In the end I decided to use it.

Sogar als ich in Japan war, habe ich nicht gewusst, wenn ich jede Form benutzen sollen habe. Ganz schweigen von der Verwendung von watashi, boku, usw.
Even when I was in Japan I wasn't sure when I should have used each form. Not to mention the usage of watashi, boku, etc.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

All4Ɇn wrote:J'ai passé quelque temps en envisageant à me demander si j'aurais dû utiliser anata dans cette phrase. En fin de compte, j'ai décidé à de l'utiliser.
I spent awhile thinking about whether or not I should have used anata in that sentence. In the end I decided to use it.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Dormouse559 wrote:j'ai décidé à de
[>_<] Je pense que je me suis confondu avec être décidé.
I think I got confused with être décidé.
Dormouse559 wrote:de l'utiliser.
Je suis pas sûr pourquoi je me suis débarrassé de l'. Je l'ai tapé quand je l'ai posté la première fois. :wat: Je suppose que je pensais trop à la phrase.
I'm not sure why I dropped the l'. I typed it when I first posted it. I guess I was just overthinking it.
Sglod
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Sglod »

J'envie bien à mon frère et ma sœur. Mon frère est en vacances en Espagne et ma sœur travaille temporairement en Malte. Moi, par contre, je n'ai jamais quitté l'île de la Grande-Bretagne... [:'(]

I'm jealous of my brother and sister. My brother's on holiday in Spain and my sister's working temporarily in Malta. I, on the other hand, have never left the island of Great Britain...
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

All4Ɇn wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm just going to give my thoughts on this in English to save myself time. For one thing, we used the -masu forms nearly all of the time, so I'm much more used to speaking like that. Additionally, I don't know any of you very well. We've never met. That, and I tend to feel more comfortable speaking politely unless I'm around close friends, and I guess this extends to the internet and to other languages.

DesEsseintes wrote:
Spoiler:
I actually don't mind either way, and I think foreigners learning Japanese worry about the use of teineigo too much. On the other hand, I've also been told by Japanese friends that some people find it inappropriate for foreigners not to use teineigo, and that it grates when they fail to.
Spoiler:
Do they expect foreigners to be subservient, or are they just used to hearing foreigners talk that way since it seems like foreigners are taught to speak politely in Japanese before taught how to speak more neutrally or casually?

これはナンセンスだよ。
Kore wa nansensu da yo!
This is nonsense!

Aさん:お腹が痛いです。
A-san: Onaka ga itai desu.
A: My stomach hurts.

Bさん:どうしたんですか。
B-san: Dōshitan desu ka?
B: What happened?

Aさん:背が高いんです。
A-san: Se ga takain desu.
A: I'm tall.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Inaeleweka kwangu. Mara nyingi ninaumwa tumbo kwa sababu ya urefu wangu. Vidole pia huniuma kwa sababu ya ndevu zangu nyekundu.
Makes sense to me. My stomach often hurts because of my height. My fingers ache too because of my red beard.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

:que: :per:

¡runasimipi rimarisun!
<Quechua>LOC delcare<FUT>1PL

¡Hablemos en quechua!
Let's talk in Quechua!

http://aldianews.com/es/articles/local/ ... ioma/49665
¡W00T!
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Ole wangu, sijui Kikechwa na sasa hivi sina ubongo wa kutosha kwa kujifunza.
Alas, I don't know Quechua and right at the moment I don't have enough brain to learn it.

Ninatumaini kwamba ujifunze lugha hiyo kiasi cha uweze kushiriki katika mialiko ya tafsiri ili niweze kuona vifungo ulivyoandika.
I hope you learn this language enough to be able to take part in translation challenges so that I can see the sentences you write.
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

shimobaatar wrote: ナンセ
nansensu
nonsense
我很喜欢那。
Wǒ hěn xǐhuān nà.

[ʊ̯ɔ˨˩ xən˨˦ ɕi˨˩xʊ̯ən˥ na˥˩]
1SG very like DEM.DIST
I really like that.

[Somehow feels wrong.]
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Iyionaku wrote:
shimobaatar wrote: ナンセ
nansensu
nonsense
我很喜欢那。
Wǒ hěn xǐhuān nà.

[ʊ̯ɔ˨˩ xən˨˦ ɕi˨˩xʊ̯ən˥ na˥˩]
1SG very like DEM.DIST
I really like that.

[Somehow feels wrong.]
¡Creo que es muy divertido! [:D]
I think it's very funny!

Pero "ナンセ" es "nanse". "ナンセンス" es "nansensu".
However, "ナンセ" is "nanse". "ナンセンス" is "nansensu".