Are you a systemizer or an empathizer?

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Are you a systemizer or an empathizer?

Post by Khemehekis » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 20:38

Simon Baron-Cohen is known for his theory of the male vs. female brains -- systemizing vs. empathizing. Female brains tend to understand other people intuitively, while male brains are good at things like working with machines. He even devised tests for systemizing and empathizing. Today I took a test at http://personality-testing.info/tests/EQSQ.php which combined the two tests. The majority of males are S or extreme S, the majority of females E or extreme E, with about a third of people being balanced.

After I took the test, these were my results:
You are done! Here are your scores:

Your Empathizing Quotient is 32. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 17. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for analysing and exploring a system".

References:
Simon Baron-Cohen (2003). "The Essential Difference". New York: Basic Books.
Simon Baron-Cohen and Sally Wheelwright (2004). "The Empathy Quotient: An Investigation of Adults with Asperger Syndrome or High Functioning Autism, and Normal Sex Differences". Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Vol. 34(2), 162-175.

Both were lower than average, but my empathizing score was almost twice as high as my systemizing score!

Perhaps this was why I said, "I'm not like other boys" when I was in elementary school and found the girls more relatable than the boys, by and large. I wouldn't call myself an empathetic person, but a lot of the systemizing tendencies mentioned in the quiz sounded completely alien to me. I mean, there are really people who think about the aerodynamics when they're taking a flight on an airplane?!?

Check out the test and take it yourselves -- share the answers you get!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 57,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Xonen

Re: Are you a systemizer or an empathizer?

Post by Xonen » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 21:18

Your Empathizing Quotient is 22. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately".
I suppose that's fair, but hey, I try.
Your Systemizing Quotient is 28. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for analysing and exploring a system".
Well fuck you too, Baron-Cohen (2003). Is this because I just used "disagree" as my default answer to statements that had no personal relevance to me whatsoever? [:S]
Allekanger
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Allekanger » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 21:33

Your Empathizing Quotient is 35. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately. You know how to treat people with care and sensitivity".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 33. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an average ability for analysing and exploring a system".
Cool.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 21:49

Your Empathizing Quotient is 8. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 14. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for analysing and exploring a system".
I'm just socially awkward.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Click
darkness
darkness

Post by Click » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 21:51

I took this test thrice in a row and my emphatising quotient apparently varies between 43 and 57, while the other one varies from 22 to 37.

Interesting, considering that I can’t really feel comfortable when talking people. I guess I pick up many cues (and I can’t really ignore anything) so I can’t relax and enjoy the moment. [:S]
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 22:19

I don't trust the accuracy of this test...
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Click
darkness
darkness

Post by Click » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 22:22

Nor I do, but I like my results so I don’t really feel like complaining.
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 22:26

Ahzoh wrote:I don't trust the accuracy of this test...
Why don't you? Did it make you an empathizer or something?
♂♥♂♀

Xonen

Post by Xonen » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 22:28

Click wrote:I took this test thrice in a row and my emphatising quotient apparently varies between 43 and 57, while the other one varies from 22 to 37.
Yeah, I took it again as well, this time attempting to use a few more "strongly" answers - and while my empathy score only jumped to 28, the systemizing went all the way up to 43. I'm beginning to suspect this test isn't actually very useful. [:D]

Although my main reason for suspecting that is that a lot of the questions seem way too specific or just plain weird. No, I don't "often" have trouble choosing what to eat at restaurants, because I only "often" go to like two different ones and have a regular dish I always eat there. Nor do people often tell me that I'm an insensitive jerk or whatever, but for all I know, that might be just because you don't say stuff like that to someone's face, jackass. :roll: And a lot of the systemizing questions could have used a "probably more than most people, but not literally always" option.
Ahzoh
korean
korean

Post by Ahzoh » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 23:24

Khemehekis wrote:
I didn't take the test. It's just all your (plural) results are suspicious. Also, because what Xonen said.
Image Ӯсцӣ (Onschen) [ CWS ]
Image Šat Vṛḵažaẇ (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
thetha
darkness
darkness

Post by thetha » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 23:28

Your Empathizing Quotient is 46. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately. You know how to treat people with care and sensitivity".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 14. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for analysing and exploring a system".

whatevs, I empathize better than that
Khemehekis
mayan
mayan

Post by Khemehekis » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 23:33

Ahzoh wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:
I didn't take the test. It's just all your (plural) results are suspicious. Also, because what Xonen said.
You said everyone's results were suspicious, so what's suspicious about my own results? I'm not really surprised that I'm not a systemizer . . .
♂♥♂♀

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo » Tue 02 Sep 2014, 01:11

Xonen wrote:Yeah, I took it again as well, this time attempting to use a few more "strongly" answers - and while my empathy score only jumped to 28, the systemizing went all the way up to 43. I'm beginning to suspect this test isn't actually very useful. [:D]
Personality tests are pretty much all sorcery anyway; And not the cool kind where you sacrifice a goat to summon a demon to do your bidding, but the lame kind where you burn smelly incense, flip some cards over, do some chanting, and then say something so vague that you can interpret it to match any set of facts. It's best not to take them too seriously. But hey, I'll participate too:
Your Empathizing Quotient is 36. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately. You know how to treat people with care and sensitivity".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 53. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an above average ability for analysing and exploring a system".
My pronouns are <xie> [ʒiː] / <xer> [ʒɚ]

My shitty twitter
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 02 Sep 2014, 01:25

I only took the test once, but I got this:
Your Empathizing Quotient is 11. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately".
Your Systemizing Quotient is 31. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for analysing and exploring a system"
If I was interested in how furniture and houses were made and actually ever bought a camera/phone/technology then I can only assume that score of 31 would jump up, but the fact that they don't interest me, and I've bought one mobile phone and zero cameras in the last 25 years (note, I'm 25), the result is unsurprisingly low.

Like Xonen, the questions about what other people thought of me were difficult to answer. Barring the people I interact with at work and my brother and mum, there are only 3 people that I actually talk to more than once a month (when I was unemployed down in Bedfordshire you could even drop my brother and mum down to talking to them twice a month at best). So, is the low number of people coming to me with their problems a result of a) my lack of ability to empathise, b) their lack of problems or c) the low number of people I actually know?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen » Tue 02 Sep 2014, 02:30

Baron-Cohen, via the Almighty Internet wrote:Your Empathizing Quotient is 46. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately. You know how to treat people with care and sensitivity".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 41. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an average ability for analysing and exploring a system".
Eh, whatever. Maybe I should have used more strongly agrees. I think there should be some neutral options.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ
DesEsseintes
cleardarkness
cleardarkness

Post by DesEsseintes » Tue 02 Sep 2014, 05:48

Your Empathizing Quotient is 53. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately. You know how to treat people with care and sensitivity".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 41. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have an average ability for analysing and exploring a system".
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Tue 02 Sep 2014, 12:48

sangi39 wrote:If I was interested in how furniture and houses were made and actually ever bought a camera/phone/technology then I can only assume that score of 31 would jump up, but the fact that they don't interest me, and I've bought one mobile phone and zero cameras in the last 25 years (note, I'm 25), the result is unsurprisingly low.
Indeed. What makes this especially weird is that supposedly "[t]he theory developed out of Baron-Cohen's work with autism where he hypothesized that the autism spectrum is an expression of extreme systemizing". Yet the test apparently gives you a lower score on systemizing if your interests are too restricted - while having extremely restricted interests is one of the most typical symptoms of autism. :wat:
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Creyeditor » Tue 02 Sep 2014, 23:05

So what am I if I'm not patient enough to finish the test? [xP]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Tue 02 Sep 2014, 23:52

Creyeditor wrote:So what am I if I'm not patient enough to finish the test? [xP]
Smarter than the rest of us? [:D]
Ear of the Sphinx
metal
metal

Post by Ear of the Sphinx » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 00:54

Or maybe the premise of the test is just based on sexist prejudices?

I got:
Your Empathizing Quotient is 26. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for understanding how other people feel and responding appropriately".

Your Systemizing Quotient is 20. Baron-Cohen (2003) suggests that this means "you have a lower than average ability for analysing and exploring a system".
I should have got a low EQ and a high SQ.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.