Star Wars Universe Discussion [Split Topic]

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Thakowsaizmu
puremetal
puremetal

Re: Star Wars Universe Discussion [Split Topic]

Post by Thakowsaizmu » Wed 24 Sep 2014, 08:51

When it comes to Episodes VII, VIII, IX etc etc remember that Lucas sold everything to Disney. So he can still say he didn't want to do them, haha.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 24 Sep 2014, 21:05

Smart, but also a dweeb.

Doesn't want the flack if they go south like the prequels.

Still has his fingers in the pie as "creative consultant", if they do well.
He just can't get off that fence. (Could he be impaled on it?)

I am not a fan of "Rebels". The animation looks in between videogamey + The Backyardigans/Tiny Planets.

I do not like how they highhjacked some of McQuarrie's concepts and used them, most notably
Zeb, which is obviously the pre-proto-wookie,
http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 6ecbd2.jpg

but wearing the pants that Lucas eschewed for Chewbacca.
Don't even get me started.

[}:D]
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Re: Technology in conworlds

Post by Lambuzhao » Wed 24 Sep 2014, 21:12

XXXVII wrote:
Micamo wrote:
XXXVII wrote:Also *adjusts glasses* a Jedi is not faster than light. He is, instead, faster than the human wielding the gun and is possessed of a sixth sense to know where and when the shots will strike before they are fired thus he places his lightsaber in the way. Were a Jedi faster than light, he'd be unbeatable since he could simply kill an entire army before you could even see him.
***NERD WARNING***

Actually in the Expanded Universe things get really silly: Sufficiently powerful Jedi can use The Force to do whatever the writer of the current story wants them to be able to do, up to and including blowing up planets with a thought. I'm far from an expert in the EU, but I wouldn't be surprised if "Force Teleport" were a power a Jedi actually had at some point.
Good point... While I don't believe it to be canon, Galen Marek (the protagonist of the Force Unleashed games) force pulled a Star Destroyer out of orbit!
One of my favoritely laughable moments in all of SW was in the cartoon series, when, during the Siege of Coruscant, Yoda smashes two Droid Carrier ships together with a clap of his hands.
I think you can hear Mace Windu in the background saying, "Now that's the Force, muthaf@#ker!"
[}:D]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 04 May 2015, 16:56

Since it's now Star Wars Day (May the Fourth be with you), I thought I'd resurrect this thread to push this:

May 4th: Episode IV and Episode V
May 5th: Episode II and Episode III
May 6th: Episode VI and optional Episode I

Watching all 6 films in one day can really only be done if you actually have that time spare, with all 6 films in the OT and PT taking around about 13-14 hours to watch without any breaks at all. Spacing it over 3 days only requires that around about 5 hours per day be spent watching Star Wars, allowing the viewer to a) go to work and b) recharge (a 13 hour film marathon is pretty difficult).

The order, as some may have noticed, conforms to the Machete Order, which places Episode II and Episode III between V and VI as a sort of flashback to explain how Darth Vader, now revealed to be Luke Skywalker's father, rather than the man who murdered his father, came to be a follower of the Dark Side of the Force, concluding the entire trilogy with Episode VI. Episode I is considered largely irrelevant, so it's tacked onto the end as an optional film to explain how Anakin, Padme and Obi-Wan.

I've tended to push the Machete Order over the last 4 years as the best way to watch the Star Wars films for new viewers, rather than just choosing between OT then PT vs. PT then OT, which, kind of, doesn't work out all that well. You lose the big reveal in Episode V and, sadly, the Darth Vader of Episode III kind of takes away any sense of fear you should have of him as a character. The attempt to tell his story takes away the idea that he should actually be one of the main antagonists of the OT. The Machete Order, on the other hand, maintains the reveal while making Darth Vader a more sympathetic character just before Episode VI, which I think is when you need it most.

Spreading it over 3 days also attempts to take care of a disagreement over whether it should be "revenge of the fifth" or "revenge of the sixth", as a kind of Dark Side equivalent to "may the fourth be with you". It doesn't work perfectly, but means either day can be used and it still falls into a larger Star Wars dedicated period.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 04 May 2015, 20:37

Wow! I have never heard of the 'Machete Order'. I cannot even begin to partake of any sort of zealous viewing of the SW flicks; I am so busy with schoolwork.

But that's a very interesting suggestion to put episodes II and III in between Empire and Return. Me gusta!
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » Tue 05 May 2015, 08:36

sangi39 wrote:Watching all 6 films in one day can really only be done if you actually have that time spare, with all 6 films in the OT and PT taking around about 13-14 hours to watch without any breaks at all.
See, this is where nychthemeron is a good thing. Watching the movies over a dag might be problematic, but works just fine over a døgn (24 hours, day and night). c; And if the movies take 14 hours you've got 10 hours of break time to divide across them!

I actually did this with some people relatively "recently" (like 2-3 years ago) (and recently before that, all the Harry Potter movies, including most of the others going to the store for like two hours where I had time for myself to watch some of the first movie again in Icelandic dub since it was on the DVD and I was curious).

We started early in the morning and ended almost the next morning. Needless to say, I fell asleep at the end (I'm not very interested in the movies anyway), but some pushed through it.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 05 May 2015, 20:21

My son and I watched A New Hope. Our collective favorite is Star Wars: Ice Monster Snow (my son was 4 when he gave that name to Empire, and it has stuck). But, we enjoyed the scope of it all, the still-incredible opening scene of those spase ships cavorting over a blazing world. Droids and Jawas frisking about in the sands.
Gonk Droids - W00T!

PLZ don't tell anybody at work that I watched the Force Awakens trailers on my Promethean Board after classes at work. Just awesome SW largeness- [;)]

Y'know, they need to have a water-world in these next movies. Like.... a real one, where water-related stuff happens. I was summarily disappointed with Kamino, and
the Gungan-type stuff could have been done on some other planet.
Mon Calamari, don't fail me now! [Or, heck, that crazy gloopy moon in the Pana System from the cartoon-short of the forbidden Xmas Special, or the planet Drexel from one of the early SW Marvel Comics (Doomworld?)].
cntrational
roman
roman

Post by cntrational » Sun 17 May 2015, 23:23

http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/canon.html

An amusing article that describes the Star Wars universe using only information from the first movie, and nothing else.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Mon 18 May 2015, 20:18

Wow! For a few seconds, it was 1977 for me and I was much, much younger.
Thank you very much, cntrational! [:D]

Some parts very funny, some parts bloody ironic.
One funny thing: from just Star Wars alone, would ever have guessed that Darth would've gone on to be Mr. Bigstuff Number 2 (under the Emperor). Sure, he was a "dark lord of the Sith". But he seemed to play the big, heavy 'Lurch' to the more in control Grand Moff Tarkin.
Spoiler:
I hope the remnant-Empire does not feel the need to rally behind another Sith in The Force Awakens. But, oh yeah, there's that scene in the second trailer where Kylo Ren ignites his sabre among some new-fangled stormtroopers.
The whole sibling twins retcon just put such a bad taste in the collective mouth of what had the makings of a pretty interesting Love Triangle. *sigh*

Plus, I always thought that they didn't want droids in the cantina b/c they could be doing espionage.
There were all these characters that did not want to be 'seen'. Those creatures might well regard droids as walking recording equipment for bounty hunters, flim-flammed clients, enemy bosses, the Empire, etc. It made perfect sense to me that they would not be wanted in such an 'establishment' as the Mos Eisley Cantina. Prolly also the reason for why there were no jukeboxes or other video-equipment.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye to have been the low-budget sequel (?!?).

Just a fun romp.

Thanks again!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Mon 18 May 2015, 22:49

Lambuzhao wrote:
Spoiler:
I hope the remnant-Empire does not feel the need to rally behind another Sith in The Force Awakens. But, oh yeah, there's that scene in the second trailer where Kylo Ren ignites his sabre among some new-fangled stormtroopers.
Spoiler:
I'm thinking that there might have been a splitting of factions, so that you have one (set of) faction(s) that simply attempts to maintain the structure of the Empire at a regional level, while one another, possibly developing around a Sith cult that originally centred around Sidious and Vader, holds control in some other region.

For the purposes of the story that might be told in Episode VII, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sith faction wins out, but I wonder how like the Sith of the Empire they might be like, considering the Rule of Two (leaving no real successor to either Sidious as the Master or Vader as the Apprentice) and with the Jedi are more less just starting up again. It might be a lot more disorganised than it was during the late Republic and the Empire, which some people have pointed out as a possible explanation for Kylo Ren's lightsaber being so "buzzy".

Sith vs. Jedi is pretty much going to be a part of Star Wars regardless of what's going on, but it'll be interesting to see how the Sith have changed in the thirty years following the Battle of Endor [:)]
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 19 May 2015, 09:26

Spoiler:
I'm thinking that there might have been a splitting of factions, so that you have one (set of) faction(s) that simply attempts to maintain the structure of the Empire at a regional level, while one another, possibly developing around a Sith cult that originally centred around Sidious and Vader, holds control in some other region.
Although, ironically, none of the folks who were at the meeting in SW ver. 4.0 who heard this would be around to actually act upon it, but it reminds me of Vader's line "The power of this battle station is insignificant next to the power of the Force".
Spoiler:
Some sadist Imperials may side with advanced tech and eschew Force-Users as dangerous crack-pots, while other sadomasochist Imperials, it seems, may recognize that (the Dark Side of) the Force is really the 'superior weapon'. It will be interesting to see how this plays out (intelligently, intelligently with fan-service, dumb fan service, stoopidly, etc) in the coming episodes.

Meesa soooooooo bomb-bad excited! Whooopeeeeeeeeeee!
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » Tue 19 May 2015, 10:13

Isn't this thread inherently spoilerous? Why not just write things without the spoiler tag? :p
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Tue 19 May 2015, 11:02

I felt exactly the same way. Silly, right?

[:S]

Much better out in the light of day!

[xP]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 19 May 2015, 11:17

Prinsessa wrote:Isn't this thread inherently spoilerous? Why not just write things without the spoiler tag? :p
Is it? I mean, specifics, sure, but Star Wars has been around long enough and pervaded popular culture through constant referencing, that I know a fair few people who've managed to never see Star Wars but know roughly what happens (Family Guy certainly helped with that in recent years).

On the other hand, discussing the up-coming sequel trilogy, I guess you're right. We're not spoiling anything, merely speculating based on trailers and interviews. Until Episode VII comes out, we're not really spoiling anything at all [:)]
Lambuzhao wrote:
Spoiler:
Although, ironically, none of the folks who were at the meeting in SW ver. 4.0 who heard this would be around to actually act upon it, but it reminds me of Vader's line "The power of this battle station is insignificant next to the power of the Force".
I think I missed something here...
Lambuzhao wrote:
Spoiler:
Some sadist Imperials may side with advanced tech and eschew Force-Users as dangerous crack-pots, while other sadomasochist Imperials, it seems, may recognize that (the Dark Side of) the Force is really the 'superior weapon'. It will be interesting to see how this plays out (intelligently, intelligently with fan-service, dumb fan service, stoopidly, etc) in the coming episodes.

Meesa soooooooo bomb-bad excited! Whooopeeeeeeeeeee!
Well you did have Han Solo talking about "hokey religions and ancient weapons" and Admiral Motti's words:

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebel's hidden fort…"

It's clear that just 19 years after Order 66 was carried out, even with a now obvious Sith presence in the Empire (and clear evidence that the Force can have real-world physical effects), that the idea of the Force has faded away somewhat. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a large portion of the younger elite in the Empire simply didn't believe in it at all, dismissing it as rumour.

What you might have, given the Rule of Two, is a group of Force users within the Empire attempting to learn the ways of the Sith, unofficially, delving into the past of the Jedi and the Sith, in order to, in their eyes, strengthen the Empire. If any of these people survived into Episode VII, I wouldn't be at all surprised that they managed to either out-compete, destroy or even merge with other post-Imperial factions.
Just one time.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa » Tue 19 May 2015, 14:11

Sounds like you interpreted my message as the total opposite of what I said/asked? :c

I was saying it seemed unnecessary to use spoiler tags in a thread like this, not asking you to add more of them. :c
sangi39

Post by sangi39 » Tue 19 May 2015, 15:18

Prinsessa wrote:Sounds like you interpreted my message as the total opposite of what I said/asked? :c

I was saying it seemed unnecessary to use spoiler tags in a thread like this, not asking you to add more of them. :c
I just kept the ones already used when quoting Lambuzhao. I'll break up something I'm quoting or only refer to a specific section, but after that, I won't touch what's been written, text colour, italicisation, boldness, underlining, spoiler tags, etc. It just feels so wrong [:P]
Just one time.
Lambuzhao
earth
earth

Post by Lambuzhao » Thu 21 May 2015, 02:55

Okay. Enough with the foxes in soxes in boxes, already.

One fan-service that comes to me every so often when I watch the prequels:

Lucas does/did/will have done a one-off of Ewan MacGregor re-enacting the lightsaber duel on the Death Star.
Much more leap-frogging & acrobatics, possibly Duel of the Fates: A New Hope Force Theme remix playing in background.

Instead of Kenobi waiting for Darth to slice into him, he leaps over Vader (a la Anakin in Revenge of the Sith) to distract him from the others' escape to the Falcon. Vader cannot resist (heck, it's useless!) the opportunity to slice Kenobi cap a pie like a Cinco de Mayo Piñata, and then, *Poof*, adios Obi Wan.

Way, way, way over the top silly & iconoclastic, even for George Lucas' reimprovementisational flare, right?

I know, I know, you do not mess with that iconic set-piece of amusical, stolid samurai brandishing
and one-liner-salvoing - Ne touchez pas La Bataille de Darthy et Obi!
http://jhack.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... r-duel.jpg

P.S. : I do not really follow Rebels, but I utterly enjoy the proto-McQuarriesque look of Darth Vader, and the repurposed McQuarrie concept snow-trooper helmets. Visually enjoyable! [:D]

I guess the bigwigs at Disney could not resist putting spandex hotpants on the mauve proto-concept Chewbacca knock-off (Zeb?) - not enjoyable ~ [:S]
cntrational
roman
roman

Post by cntrational » Fri 29 May 2015, 19:53

The thing is, how would they forget about the force that fast? Unless literally every adult died, there has to be a large population that was there during the time of the Jedi; did no adult tell Han about the pre-Empire days?

It's evident that the original intention in episode 4 was to have the Empire and Vader be much older, and this was messed up by the whole thing about Vader being Luke's father.
Xonen

Post by Xonen » Fri 29 May 2015, 20:21

cntrational wrote:It's evident that the original intention in episode 4 was to have the Empire and Vader be much older, and this was messed up by the whole thing about Vader being Luke's father.
That, or the original intention was that both the Jedi and the Sith had been sort of secretive and few in number for a long time, instead of a bunch of midi-chlorian-infested dudes holding official positions in the government.