You

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
atman
sinic
sinic

Re: You

Post by atman »

I hope that after a year and a half it's not too early to introduce myself [:)]

Date of birth: The late 80s
Interests: languages, Indo-European historical linguistics, football, history, archaeology, among others
Favourite music: rock (nacional and international), other Latino-American music, some metal, the Italian cantautori, some classical, some Balkan and Greek music, various things from other genres
Political orientation: Towards the left.
Religion: Catholic (but only some of the time)
Active Conlangs: Atlántiqa, as you know
Other hobbies: travelling, music, a little politics, reading worthwhile stuff
Where do you see yourself in ten years? ... ... [:S] [D;] :mrred: Over 35 [:'(] [:'(] [:'(]
Երկնէր երկին, երկնէր երկիր, երկնէր և ծովն ծիրանի.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Following Sangi39's example I decided to re-introduce myself.

Alias(es): TomHCinMI, TomHChappell, eldin raigmore, gregor_samsa_cockroach
Date of Birth: right after lunch, 6th February 1952 CE. (Well, that's what they tell me. Even though I was there at the time, I failed to consult a calendar.)
Marital Status: Divorced twice; but I also count myself as widowed since my daughter's mother (my second ex-wife) died early last year.
Education: ABD ("All But Dissertation") in Mathematics, MS in Mathematics, BA in General Sciences
Occupation: Disabled/retired/unemployed computer programmer (systems programmer and application maintenance programmer) and systems analyst.
Interests: Linguistics and conlanging and conculturing and con-worlding, science-fiction and fantasy, pop music (Top 40 etc.), now-older rock-and-roll (heavy metal, acid rock, etc.), science in general, mathematics, "computer science", ...
Favorite Music: pop music (Top 40 etc.), now-older rock-and-roll (heavy metal, acid rock, etc.), classical
Favourite TV: Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show"; 2nd favorite is Stephen Colbert's "/ðə koʟbɛɻ ɻipoɻ/". After that I search for SF.
Favourite Film: Hard to pick just one.
Favourite Books: Again, hard to pick just one.
Natlang Education: Elementary school: besides English, also (in order) Spanish, Tamil, maybe some Hindi; lexicon only, no grammar. High school: French. Graduate school; some German (reading only), some Russian (reading only), some Chinese (reading only). Fluency in none but English, unless you count French; I know it well enough that if I claim not to know it people think I'm lying, but not well enough that if I claim to know it people don't still think I'm lying.
Favourite Natlang: Hard to pick just one, really. Anything cool, I guess. Like a kid in a candy shop, whatever has a cool feature I'm thinking about right now is my current favorite. It probably changes monthly, maybe quarterly, maybe weekly.
Favourite Conlang: I don't know; one I can actually learn, I suppose.
Conlangs: Adpihi-Reptigan; Arpien; perhaps another so-far-unnamed one.
Edit: Moved the controversial answers into spoilers.
Spoiler:
Gender Sex: Male
Spoiler:
Sexuality: Used to be heterosexual. Now, I may be asexual, at least if you go by how often I've gotten laid in the last 10 years.
Spoiler:
Political Ideology: Constitutional conservative; "classical liberal", not those Tea-Party fuckwads. Also not one of those windsock&weathervane chameleonoid litmus-paper establishment Republicans who are in favor of "small government" only as long as they're in the minority. Also not one of those people perfectly happy to hold two contradictory opinions at the same time.
Spoiler:
Religion: Atheist since around 1977-1978, "out" atheist since September 11 2001.
Spoiler:
Where do you see yourself in ten years? I'll be seventy-two and my daughter will be twenty-eight. If I'm still alive I'll probably still have a dependent child for another couple of years. [whine] Also I'll have been living for around seven years on half the income I have now. So, "in dire straits" is probably the closest answer. [/whine]
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 26 Nov 2014 05:28, edited 2 times in total.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

eldin raigmore wrote: "out" atheist since September 11 2001.
[o.O]
Odd.....
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

I'm not going to presume why Eldin "came out" on that date (it's his decision to share the reason with us or not, if there is one) but it's not as weird as you may think: Many people (rightly or wrongly) blamed the disaster on the perpetrators' radical islamic beliefs, and a subset of this group extended the blame to religious beliefs in general. Because of this, some atheists in this group decided that it was time to become more vocal about their anti-religious sentiments.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

At the risk of starting a debate about September 11th that could only end terribly (and in another thread probably after it gets split from this one), I can't wrap my head around how people think that religion (in any normal sense of the word) had much of anything to do with that attack... it was a pack of very crazy, very extreme extremists who represent Islam about as well as the Phelps family represents mainstream Christianity.

Ahem. Sorry.
fivecountwings
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by fivecountwings »

While I entirely agree with you that I don't understand attacking all religions on account of one, you do know that one of the five pillars of Islam is that you are supposed to fight infidels. I believe it's called jihad.
ạ ẹ ị ọ ụ ʉ̣ ɨ ɨ̣
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

Micamo wrote:I'm not going to presume why Eldin "came out" on that date (it's his decision to share the reason with us or not, if there is one) but it's not as weird as you may think: Many people (rightly or wrongly) blamed the disaster on the perpetrators' radical islamic beliefs, and a subset of this group extended the blame to religious beliefs in general. Because of this, some atheists in this group decided that it was time to become more vocal about their anti-religious sentiments.
I have a vague recollection of THC saying something much to this effect about his reasons once on the ZBB... I even tried to recruit him for my atheistic jihad to destroy all believers, but somehow the discussion died down at that point. :roll:

fivecountwings wrote:While I entirely agree with you that I don't understand attacking all religions on account of one, you do know that one of the five pillars of Islam is that you are supposed to fight infidels. I believe it's called jihad.
Wikipedia wrote:The Five Pillars of Islam (arkān al-Islām أركان الإسلام; also arkān al-dīn أركان الدين "pillars of the religion") are five basic acts in Islam, considered mandatory by believers and are the foundation of Muslim life. They are summarized in the famous hadith of Gabriel.[1][2][3][4]

They make up Muslim life, prayer, concern for the needy, self purification and the pilgrimage. They are:

1. Shahadah: declaring there is no god except God, and Muhammad is God's Messenger
2. Salat: ritual prayer five times a day
3. Zakat: giving 2.5% of one’s savings to the poor and needy
4. Sawm: fasting and self-control during the blessed month of Ramadan
5. Hajj: pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in a lifetime[5][6] if he/she is able to[7]
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Even worse: the interpretation of the term "jihad", and which of its components are more primary, is up for debate. And 'fighting infidels' is obviously not as important as some would insist, considering that there are quite a few Muslims who mysteriously have no interest in fighting anything at all.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Xonen wrote:I have a vague recollection of THC saying something much to this effect about his reasons once on the ZBB... I even tried to recruit him for my atheistic jihad to destroy all believers, but somehow the discussion died down at that point. :roll:
I don't personally know of any atheists who "came out" specifically because of 9-11, but I do know of (and have had many pointless arguments with) several who are intolerant of the existence of religion, and say that they acquired this intolerance due to those events.

My shitty twitter
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Oh, God.
Have I accidentally hijacked this thread again, like happened with that "Abortion, Ideology, etc." subthread that (thankfully) got split?
I replied to Shemtov via P.M. exactly because I didn't want this to happen.
I will ask a mod to split all this "Religion, Atheism, and 9/11/01" stuff to its own thread, too.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

eldin raigmore wrote:Oh, God.
Have I accidentally hijacked this thread again, like happened with that "Abortion, Ideology, etc." subthread that (thankfully) got split?
I will ask a mod to split all this "Religion, Atheism, and 9/11/01" stuff to its own thread, too.
Yeah, eldin. You're positively toxic these days. [;)]
Spoiler:
But a very helpful, informative toxin! [:)]
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

Haven't I posted in this thread yet?

Date of birth: 24 years ago
Interests: Coffee. Hitting people with sticks. Plus other things too numerous to mention.
Favorite music: Whatever happens to be on.
Political ideology: Conservative. Scandinavian conservative, that is; on the American political spectrum I fall somewhere to the left of Mao Zedong.
Conlangs: Rireinutire.
Other hobbies: SF/F, heraldry, the Middle Ages.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? In the mirror, ten years older. Probably not wiser, though.
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

eldin raigmore wrote:Oh, God.
Have I accidentally hijacked this thread again
No, I'm pretty certain the way you made sure to mention an exact date there (despite such a thing being asked for, AFAICT, nowhere) was quite intentional... Now, if you're going to argue that you had no idea people would draw such conclusions from that or, you know, react when you post something controversial, I'll be forced to note that I shall regard that with some skepticism - but since I have no particular desire to continue this discussion any further, I'm going to suggest we just let it drop. [¬.¬]
I'd prefer we not have that discussion at all, to be honest. As noted by Micamo, these debates tend to be rather pointless, and they have a habit of generating bad blood between participants. Further, as mentioned before, this board is just not the place for religious debates.

(Also, at least I personally usually prefer to split threads only once the derailment has reached more than a few posts in length and shows no signs of stopping; if I were to split off every slight tangent we go on, we'd soon have dozens of itty bitty little threads nobody's posting in.)
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

prettydragoon wrote:Occupation: Clerical worker
Wow, that's really amazing! So what level of spells do you have access to?

My shitty twitter
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Looks like she may be dual classing... With a secondary branch as a Worker, so she's not as leveled as if she focused only on the one.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

eldin raigmore wrote: Have I accidentally hijacked this thread again,
Not the best choice of words.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I was under the impression Xonen put on his moderator hat and told us to let that line of conversation fade away into oblivion...
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

XXXVII wrote:Looks like she may be dual classing... With a secondary branch as a Worker, so she's not as leveled as if she focused only on the one.
Ouch, multiclassing cleric and expert is really suboptimal, try to get yourself respecced as a straight cleric and craft yourself a Wand of Guidance of the Avatar.

My shitty twitter
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Micamo wrote:
XXXVII wrote:Looks like she may be dual classing... With a secondary branch as a Worker, so she's not as leveled as if she focused only on the one.
Ouch, multiclassing cleric and expert is really suboptimal, try to get yourself respecced as a straight cleric and craft yourself a Wand of Guidance of the Avatar.
Odd, this exchange appears to be in English, but... [o.O]

Nigh may I sixteen feral cheese and punk harbor myself Randolph stick. [xD]
(though I hear that may be illegal in Texas)
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

That's the story of my life. I can never choose just one option. (What, never? Well, hardly ever.)
Micamo wrote:
Can't do straight cleric because reasons. How about bisexual cleric instead? Would that still help me level up, or would the delta XP be too small to be worth the effort?
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?