You

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: You

Post by elemtilas »

Dormouse559 wrote:
Egerius wrote:
Parlox wrote:Other hobbies: […] calligraphy.
Now we're four.
The calligraphers are taking over! Just when I thought it was safe to print.
Perhaps if we offer them all our gall ink they're leave us in peace!

Or at least show us some lovely lettercraft!
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Well, I'm going through the trouble of making a computer font out of the textura hand used in the Hatton gospels and the proto-gothic hand used in the Textus Roffensis.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Hmmm. I can't remember the last time I updated this, and I have no idea what I put in. This will either be identical or completely different to the last one...

Alias(es): OTheB or some variation such as 0TheB or of course OTʜᴇB
Date of birth: Summer, 2000
Interests: Too many - most to do with computers or maths.
Favourite music: It varies. I'll like pretty much anything if I find it musically interesting. Most of it is classical, but I like my funk too.
Political ideology: Somewhere a bit to the left I think? I'm not really sure. I've created my own set of philosophies and morals over time and there is no group I can fit into.
Conlangs: Inyi (failed first conlang), about 5 failed loglangs, engelangs, and philosolangs, Dijo (isolating a priori that didn't do too badly), Language 8 (current project that is basically Dijo with a new phonology and improved grammar).
Other hobbies: Too many - most to do with computers or maths.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? In some kind of employment with a degree in something. Maybe in another country, but I make languages much better than I learn them.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Coveny
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Coveny »

Hello

Alias(es): Cov
Date of birth: Feb 29 1972
Interests: Debating, reading, watching TV/Movies, changing the world, and apparently conlangs now
Favorite music: almost anything
Political ideology: Everyone deserves food, shelter, and clothing
Conlangs: None yet
Other hobbies: Gaming
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Semi-retired

New to the ConLang thing, but I find it interesting as a possibility for IAL. I'm not happy with the languages that I've seen thus far so I've decided to go down the rabbit hole that is this jargon heavy highly detailed road of phonetics. I would love to chat with someone knowledgeable of international phonetics.

From what I have read I found Morneau's phonetic alphabet and I'm looking to get it translated into the current form of the IPA. http://www.rickmor.x10.mx/phonology.html is a link to the article and here is a link to alphabet I'm looking to get converted to the current IPA - http://www.rickmor.x10.mx/segmental_phonemes.png

Also has anyone else attempted to replicate Morneau's work to find common phonetic sounds across major languages?

Thanks,
Mark
ForDebating.com is coming in February. A debating website that I hope to populate with intelligent critical debator. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating

Feature comparison chart
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome, Coveny!
Hominid
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Hominid »

OK, I'll do this.

Alias(es): Hominid
Interests: History, politics, linguistics, many other things
Favorite music: I like most music. What I listen to varies wildly based on my mood.
Political ideology: Left
Conlangs: Haven't really made any serious ones.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Who knows?
Rum_Ham
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Rum_Ham »

Alias(es): Rum Ham, MSPaint2001
Date of birth: '96
Interests: Linguistics (shockingly), music, really ancient history, cooking, writing on occasion
Favorite music: Oh boy. If it starts with the word "progressive," there's a pretty good chance I'll like it. My favorite band in the world is Riverside, recently beating out Pink Floyd, though I also love Porcupine Tree (mostly their later stuff), Steven Wilson, Lunatic Soul, most of Opeth, Dream Theater, and of course Led Zeppelin. Beyond that, I've recently discovered how great the morin khuur and hurdy-gurdy are, and I can also appreciate earlier Metallica, Pearl Jam, Yes, Genesis, Black Sabbath, and probably some others I'm forgetting. I can and will talk about Pink Floyd or Riverside for hours if given a reason to.
Political ideology: Some kind of left, but I see where the right is coming from.
Conlangs: Currently just Hala, but I plan to make some daughter languages out of it. I'm also thinking of starting an entirely unrelated one pretty soon.
Other hobbies: Writing, video games, making music (I was in some classes for it last year, and I loved them to death. Some of what I made isn't even terrible). I love watching Ancient Aliens for both the interesting archaeology and ridiculous alien explanations.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Ideally, working at a game company in a place where it snows, and with a job that won't make me hate myself. I want to make things new, original, and that can help people in some way, and I figure I might as well use the game design degree I'm working toward to do that. My dream job is playing keyboards in Riverside, though I'd need to get way better, the current keyboardist would have to leave the band, and Hell would have to freeze over first.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board!
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Post by CarsonDaConlanger »

Alias(es): Carson, CarsonDaConlanger, Kellsbells(on CWS)
Date of birth:2000(super convenient to find my age, just minus one for most of the year.)
Interests: Conlanging(suprise suprise), theatre(acting and design), debate/forensics(not solving crimes)
Favorite music: Rock/Metal is probably on top, but I listen to literally anything.
Political ideology: Centrist, leans kinda left
Conlangs: Way too many unfinished projects
Other hobbies: Listening to music a lot(my dad calls my earbuds my 2nd umbilical cord), wrestling, playing video games
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Just out of college working as either a tech operator for a theatre or a set design/construction guy.
He/they bisexual weeb
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Nice to meet you Carson! (Your username is pretty cool [:D] ) We are of similar age, and I'm glad to see more high-schoolers into conlanging. It's a very underrated hobby, I think [;)]
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

KaiTheHomoSapien, thanks, and nice to meet you too! Yeah, I haven't met another Conlanger in my school lol. How'd you get into it? I have kinda always wanted to do it, but only started doing things other than relexs of English over the summer.
He/they bisexual weeb
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

I don't know anyone at school who's into it either, only online. I first got interested when I started studying Latin. I became fascinated with the language, all those declensions and conjugations made me want to create something of my own like that. My earliest conlang experiments were rudimentary romlangs and Latin re-lexes. I've since branched out :)
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Yeah, my first kinda big project(s) was an English relex with English phonemes and Romance phonotactics. Grammar was all the same as English lol. How do non conlanger peers react to conlanging? I have one friend who constantly asks if I can speak whatever conlang I am on.
He/they bisexual weeb
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

CarsonDaConlanger wrote: 22 Mar 2018 03:04 Yeah, my first kinda big project(s) was an English relex with English phonemes and Romance phonotactics. Grammar was all the same as English lol. How do non conlanger peers react to conlanging? I have one friend who constantly asks if I can speak whatever conlang I am on.
I'll be honest that most of my friends don't even know about my conlanging. I've only occasionally mentioned it, and to my disappointment, most of them haven't shown much interest beyond brief polite comment. A few of my sharper peers have asked more about it and I've prepared a few stock phrases that I can recite to impress [:D] Even though the long answer would be that my conlang is not developed enough to just start speaking in it... [xD]
tinzin
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by tinzin »

Alias(es): Solar Rose, The Sun (plural collective, active members here are Lynn and Fenic. expect most posts to be made by Lynn)
Date of birth: a few billion years ago, roughly
Interests: linguistics, science, worldbuilding, queer webcomics
Favorite music: very broad variety of things but we like stuff that evokes strong emotion, e.g. sadness, fear, empowerment, headbanging
Political ideology: ancom-adjacent
Conlangs: Lynn has way too many conlangs; currently only actively working on two, Tulose (autonym dojumo) and Teneru (autonym tëneru), both for the fantasy-ish conworld that Lynn and Fenic are working on together.
Other hobbies: (Fenic: visual art, gamedev, playing games) (Lynn: music production, sound design)
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the CBB, tinzin!
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Welcome, tinzin!

kiwikami wrote: 02 Jul 2012 04:58 Alias(es): Sam, Tobias, various online pseudonyms typically involving eggs.
Date of birth: A couple of decades and change ago, in mid-November.
Interests: Linguistics (morphology and phonology - most recently, also sign language prosody), psychology, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. Also in possession of far too much useless knowledge about the Voyager Golden Records and Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, for whatever reason.
Favorite music: Mostly folk and folk rock, "steampunk music" for all that you can call it a coherent genre, dark cabaret, show tunes, and trailer/epic music.
Political ideology: Left-leaning in many - possibly most - respects.
Religion: I could be called an agnostic deist.
Conlangs: Numerous. Most recently, Alál (currently in its fourth year of existence, I do believe) and Ngäliv Ëra.
Other hobbies: Scuba diving, sailing, programming (predominantly in Python and Inform 7), longsword dance, traditional animation, video editing, reading cheesy science fiction, etc.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Going on adventures somewhere, with a published book and a cat [2018 update: have successfully obtained a cat]. Having a "Dr." in front of my name. Getting involved in first contact somehow.
This was last updated four years ago, so here's how things stand in 2018.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
samsam
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by samsam »

{I deleted it because it's outdated}
Last edited by samsam on 05 Apr 2019 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Welcome samsam!
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
samsam
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic