Jokes

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Re: Jokes

Post by thetha »

Weird that someone who apparently knows every majority language in Europe wouldn't understand a French pun that's already been explained to them.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

wouldn't the knowledge of all languages and the lack of understanding of puns be quite easily explained by the same reason
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

[ɾ]

I'd tap that.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

There's apparently a Arizona Diamondbacks fan site called "Inside the 'Zona"

this is funny, as [zo.na] is Hebrew for "whore".
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

i dont get whats funny about that

i get the pun

but not the humour in it
DrGeoffStandish
banned

Post by DrGeoffStandish »

Prinsessa wrote:wouldn't the knowledge of all languages and the lack of understanding of puns be quite easily explained by the same reason

"An ant is smarter than an encyclopedia." (Unknown, could be me)
Prinsessa wrote:i dont get whats funny about that

i get the pun

but not the humour in it
I see the humour in it, but that's maybe because it requires a certain level of testosterone? [}:D]

(And being brought up in Sweden doesn't help either, we have a very conservative and neomoralistic prostitution law since 1999 where freedom of enterprise isn't respected. Many, if not most, swedes seem to have become brainwashed to think that this law is reasonable rather than antihumanistic.)
Last edited by DrGeoffStandish on 08 Mar 2015 14:13, edited 3 times in total.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Prinsessa wrote:i dont get whats funny about that

i get the pun

but not the humour in it
How is it not humorous that a sports site unwittingly named themselves "Inside the Whore," AND that their mascot is a snake?!

I don't think you have to be a dude to get the funny-factor.

Also, Geoff, do you think you could maybe have a few more GIFs in your post?
DrGeoffStandish
banned

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Also, Geoff, do you think you could maybe have a few more GIFs in your post?
Yes, I need more distractive gifs. But it takes seconds to find them and I don't have seconds to waste.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

well i mean people kind of seemingly dont have to put any actual point or punchline into a "joke" if there's somehow sex or genitalia involved in it (like when people laugh about something looking remotely like a genitalia (and how difficult is that, really, considering how easily they can be expressed symbolically with pretty much no more than a couple of simple lines))? like if there's something inherently amusing in that sort of stuff? :( i dont get it. its like... stating facts and having people laugh about it for no other reason than that the fact is related to this kinda stuff. i need punchlines!
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

It's not funny to me because it's about sex and/or genitalia per se, it's funny imagining people vehemently posting smack talk and mascot shenanigans, and stats/scores on a site about a sports team who have no idea their site is called "Inside the Whore"!

And it's not really a joke so much as a mildly amusing situation.

Also, I can't help but wonder how it is that you've let your inner child die enough to not think sex/fart/dick jokes are funny. Is no part of your inner-teenager still around? While I will freely admit that they can get tiresome after a fashion (see also: "thats what she said"), they're always gonna be at least a little funny. Being immature is fun! (Plus I work with teens, so... Yeah.)
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 08 Mar 2015 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

I can act pretty immature and silly. But that kind of stuff just makes me cringe. I think my childishness is... even more childish, I suppose. Pre-teenager. Pre-sex.
DrGeoffStandish
banned

Prinsessa wrote:like if there's something inherently amusing in that sort of stuff? :( i dont get it.
I get it, it's genetically hard coded in us to laugh about genitalia and body fluids. And slapsticks.

(They had garden hoses in the 1920's?!) If that makes you smile, simple genitalia and body fluid jokes should also make you smile. Otherwise the society has probably brainwashed you ("You can't joke about prostitutes.", "One plus one is one.".).
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I think the particular joke sucks because there is nothing related to the punchline to lead into it.
It's entirely random...
It would be funnier if there was an Israeli team called "Inside the 'Zona" (and there was an Arizona, Israel)...
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

DrGeoffStandish wrote:
Prinsessa wrote:like if there's something inherently amusing in that sort of stuff? :( i dont get it.
I get it, it's genetically hard coded in us to laugh about genitalia and body fluids. And slapsticks.

(They had garden hoses in the 1920's?!) If that makes you smile, simple genitalia and body fluid jokes should also make you smile. Otherwise the society has probably brainwashed you ("You can't joke about prostitutes.", "One plus one is one.".).
Didn't laugh. Might find it cute?
DrGeoffStandish
banned

Prinsessa wrote:Didn't laugh.
Might explain things. :wat:
Prinsessa wrote:Might find it cute?
Definitely! Maybe something to use for a fixed shooter game à la Space Invaders, "José the Hosekeeper"?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Shemtov wrote:There's apparently a Arizona Diamondbacks fan site called "Inside the 'Zona"
"In the zone" and "inside the zone" are American idioms, used in but not limited to sports-talk; the Diamondbacks' fansite made a pun by replace "zone" with "'Zona" (i.e. "Arizona").

The cross-linguistic pun --as [zo.na] is Hebrew for "whore" -- will be funny only to a person who speaks Hebrew better than American English. Probably only to someone who speaks idiomatic and colloquial Hebrew very well, and doesn't speak American English at the idiomatic and colloquial level proficiently at all.
(Not to say they won't be a whiz at UK English, Australian English, etc.; or at formal English, scientific and technical English, commercial and marketing English, etc.; or get by colloquially in several subjects but not most of them.)

I seem to recall that we like cross-linguistic puns on this thread*. "Liking it" and "laughing at it" might be different things.

*(e.g. the French and German "Mother Goose Rhymes".)
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Shemtov wrote:There's apparently a Arizona Diamondbacks fan site called "Inside the 'Zona"
The cross-linguistic pun --as [zo.na] is Hebrew for "whore" -- will be funny only to a person who speaks Hebrew better than American English. Probably only to someone who speaks idiomatic and colloquial Hebrew very well, and doesn't speak American English at the idiomatic and colloquial level proficiently at all.
I dunno. I don't speak a lick of Hebrew and I found it vaguely grin-worthy given that Shemtov explained it to us. As such, it has the ring of one of those Eskimo-snow-wordsesque articles about cross-linguistic advertising gaffes which rear their head from time to time (one of which I found with no effort at all here). Of course, as Ahzoh points out, it'd have more punch if we were told that they were aiming the site at Israelis to get them more engaged in American baseball or something (and have even more bang (somebody stop me, I'm on fire) if it were pitched as "getting the schlongs (Yiddish via German "Schlange", "snake" -- diamondbacks, get it?) into the 'Zona (Hebrew)"). But little matter. I doubt this little morsel was meant to survive the dissection of an international language forum.
"Liking it" and "laughing at it" might be different things.
Indeed. There's a rather extensive range between a minute puff of air out one nostril and needing a full-on corset to keep your innards in. YRMV
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Lao Kou wrote:... (one of which I found with no effort at all here). ...
'HSBC, the world's local bank... except for tax purposes, then find us in Switzerland.' ;)
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

Which Earth composer is the most popular on Klingon?

baH!
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
Birdlang
greek
greek

Post by Birdlang »

DrGeoffStandish wrote:

Was that just a dog spraying a cop with a water hose. Imagine the dog bites on the hose and gets water intoxication and dies. That would be slapstick too, but FUNNIER! MWAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA and then a cat comes up to the dog and explodes into a million li'l pieces.