The CBB

Discuss constructed languages, cultures, worlds, related sciences and much more!
It is currently Tue 22 Aug 2017, 00:50

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 04:16 
mongolian
mongolian

MoonRightRomantic wrote:
lsd wrote:
My point of view: to use a baptist word, seach a dictionary the usual meaning in the language you want to use...
In english abjad is common... consonantary not...

If you want to use other word define it first and go on...
(or use an a priori (called philosophical) language where every word is transparent...

(as apriorist, I prefer consonantary...)

I would hardly call a Wikipedia article an indication that a given jargon is common English. Wikipedia is outright banned from being referenced in academic literature by all reputable academic institutions.

According to google trends, searches for "abjad" originate from India and Indonesia. This is probably because most keyboards use the Latin letters for input.

:roll:
And searches for "consonantary" come from people confused on the terminology in this thread.

(Also, abjad isn't a word outside of the linguistic realm)
Also probably committing this fallacy:

What is made of man will crumble away.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 14:19 
cuneiform
cuneiform

qwed117 wrote:
:roll:
And searches for "consonantary" come from people confused on the terminology in this thread.

(Also, abjad isn't a word outside of the linguistic realm)
"Consonantal alphabet" is the more common term, before spambots endlessly duplicated Wikipedia. "Abjad" has several meanings, like the Arabic alphabet, numerology based on the Arabic alphabet, and Peter T. Daniels' neologism for any consonantal alphabet. I will never adopt Daniels' terminology until he likewise decides that we should rename all syllabaries "katakana" and all logographies "hanzi" for consistency.

qwed117 wrote:
Also probably committing this fallacy:

I would agree, but there was no volume of searches in any countries except Indonesia, Malaysia and India. These countries have a high population of Muslims. It is preferable to read the Qu'ran in the original Arabic. I assume that is the reason.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 17:26 
greek
greek

WTF with PTD...

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 18:07 

Just to step in reluctantly, I'd suggest ending this current line of discourse now. It's not going anywhere.

Everyone here knows what everyone else means when they say "abjad" (as with a number of terms, this word, as used in contemporary English, has both broad and specific meanings which have all been mentioned above) and where that word ultimately comes from, and since it's been defined, everyone else knows what MoonRightRomantic means when they say "consonantary" or "consonantal alphabet".

I'd recommend that rather than talking at and past each other, everyone takes some time away from this thread until we can get back to something resembling an actual conversation.

That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:00 
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Last edited by jimydog000 on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:01 
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Moon Right does have a point, abjad is sometimes used for alphabet in arabic. buuut it is sometimes not. as in the ( [xD] Wikipedia) article here: https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A3%D9%84%D9%81%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%A6%D9%8A%D8%A9

Also... AFAIK the word Consonantary does not exist in Arabic.

Isd is also wrong, Google search statistics do not form a consensus on the 'correct' word to use.

edit: Oh, and getting general information from Wikipedia is perfectly acceptable in higher education.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017, 14:25 

Ahem...

sangi39 wrote:
Just to step in reluctantly, I'd suggest ending this current line of discourse now. It's not going anywhere.

Everyone here knows what everyone else means when they say "abjad" (as with a number of terms, this word, as used in contemporary English, has both broad and specific meanings which have all been mentioned above) and where that word ultimately comes from, and since it's been defined, everyone else knows what MoonRightRomantic means when they say "consonantary" or "consonantal alphabet".

I'd recommend that rather than talking at and past each other, everyone takes some time away from this thread until we can get back to something resembling an actual conversation.

That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.