I want to use shift & letter keys for ipa, is it possible?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Isfendil
greek
greek

I want to use shift & letter keys for ipa, is it possible?

Post by Isfendil »

Alright, I have a windows 7 ultimate computer with a standard keyboard. I've heard a little about all the custom layouts, I have access to websites and a basic knowledge of alt key codes (although that was more necessitated by my learning Spanish than anything else) and honestly, I know that it's a little weird, but I would just like to be able to used shift and a letter to bring up an ipa character that I assign to it. I know I won't get all the characters but I really do not need all the characters, just some that I really, really frequently used.

Is there anything that would allow me to do that? Any help is appreciated.
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Re: I want to use shift & letter keys for ipa, is it possibl

Post by Dezinaa »

This website is similar to what you're describing. You can type IPA characters either by clicking on them, or typing Ctrl + a similar letter a certain number of times. For example, to type "ø", use Ctrl + o + o + o. More frequently used characters will have a blue tint. They also have an app for typing directly into other places, but it's probably not worth $18.

I know this isn't exactly what you are asking for, but hopefully it helps.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Dezinaa wrote:This website is similar to what you're describing. You can type IPA characters either by clicking on them, or typing Ctrl + a similar letter a certain number of times. For example, to type "ø", use Ctrl + o + o + o. More frequently used characters will have a blue tint. They also have an app for typing directly into other places, but it's probably not worth $18.

I know this isn't exactly what you are asking for, but hopefully it helps.
I should've said that I mean endemically. This is actually the site I described which allows me to copy and paste stuff- what I am specifically asking for is a way to reprogram my keyboard so that using the shift key on letters will bring up a symbol I bind to them.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Never Mind, I'm an idiot, and should trust the mods.

Thank you.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Isfendil wrote:
Never Mind, I'm an idiot, and should trust the mods.

Thank you.
Actually, Now I have a more advanced question- How do I get the keyboard to recognize caps lock indipendent of shift? I want caps lock to capitalize letters and shift to change them, how is that possible?