Let's make a summary of the main language families

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Isfendil
greek
greek

Re: Let's make a summary of the main language families

Post by Isfendil »

Shemtov wrote:Actually, my definition of Lingofascism, is very specific, being a gross over-application of Political Correctness that involves declaring certain words or phrases to be offesnive, while ignoring the linguistic reality of those words or phrases, often by using folk etymology or by virtue of being a homonym or similar. So, while people who think the word "picnic" is racist or the phrase "Calling a spade a spade" is always racist (it can be used that way, but not always) are Linguofascists, those opposed to the use of the word "retard" aren't.
And I admit that in some cases this could be ignorance, but in some cases I find it hard to believe that, and that it's nothing more then a radical minority of a minority group that lfeels it gives them power.BTW, I'm Jewish, and there are certain actions of certain Jewish groups, that while not linguistic, I feel is from a similiar source as Linguofascism, so I do recognize that there are elements in my own minority group that are as guilty of this as other minorities of Minorities.
I think immediately assuming that the correction to my mistake was linguofascist was more than a little extreme, given this clarified definition.

Also why linguofascist? Why not linguodespotic? Linguotyrranical? Fascism invokes a very specific ideology, which has caused confusion among all of us.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Let's make a summary of the main language families

Post by Shemtov »

Isfendil wrote: I think immediately assuming that the correction to my mistake was linguofascist was more than a little extreme, given this clarified definition.
I had only had four hours sleep the night before, and some of the language he used is very commonly used by those I see as Linguofascist.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien