Gaining an accusative marker?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Davush
greek
greek

Gaining an accusative marker?

Post by Davush »

What type of words are likely to become grammaticalised into accusative markers?

I am trying to derive a particle which marks the accusative but I am not sure how natlangs have done this.

Thanks
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Re: Gaining an accusative marker?

Post by Frislander »

I'll bring up the Spanish example: in Spanish the dative preposition a is being grammaticalised into an accusative.
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Several languages have object markers derived from verbs meaning "take, seize". Another possible source is dative or allative marking (as in Spanish).
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

The Permic accusative suffix (-ës in Komi Zyrian, -ez in Udmurt) originates from a 3rd person pronominal attached on more highly individuated objects for marking their definiteness. The 3rd person pronominal in question was likely a possessive suffix but using a demonstrative pronoun as a starting point should work equally well.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

It looks like a language can have a differential object marking first(proper nouns, definite nouns or animate nouns are more likely to have nomintive-accusative distinctions among nouns, and pronouns are much more likely to have nominative-accusative distinctions than all nouns.), then generalizes it to every noun that is a direct object...although this is not about what words may become accusative markers, this may also help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Different ... ct_marking

as for the origin of the accusative marker, what people have said above can be answers.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Someone on the ZBB once said (and I think TaylorS' Mekoshan did this, at least in one version of the language) that definiteness can turn into an accusative.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Linguifex wrote:Someone on the ZBB once said (and I think TaylorS' Mekoshan did this, at least in one version of the language) that definiteness can turn into an accusative.
ok (:

I have read somewhere that a topic marker can also turn into a nominative marker in marked nominative languages; also, it is said that the nominative case of Proto-Indo-European also evolved from something similar.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.