Nasal Harmony or No Nasal Harmony?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Nasal Harmony or No Nasal Harmony?

Post by LinguoFranco »

Hello, I'm new! [:D]

My current conlang uses nasal harmony so that anytime a vowel comes right after a nasal consonant, it is nasalized along with all succeeding vowels. The nasalization only stops at a consonant that is not a nasal or liquid, and therefore no vowel coming after the blocker are nasalized.

I have name the language Namasan (Idk how to type diacritics or IPA on this site) and the first two /a/s are nasalized while the last one isn't.

The only issue I am having is that I want the word 'mizhuk' (the 'zh' is pronounced as a voiced 'th' and the 'u' is the same as the Japanese 'u') but according to the grammar rules, the /i/ will have to be nasalized, but I don't want it to be nasalized in that particular word. This would be inconsistent with the nasal harmony rule. I know many IRL languages have exceptions and irregularities, but I cannot seem to justify this one.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Vowel Harmony or No Vowel Harmony?

Post by Micamo »

LinguoFranco wrote:The only issue I am having is that I want the word 'mizhuk' (the 'zh' is pronounced as a voiced 'th' and the 'u' is the same as the Japanese 'u') but according to the grammar rules, the /i/ will have to be nasalized, but I don't want it to be nasalized in that particular word. This would be inconsistent with the nasal harmony rule. I know many IRL languages have exceptions and irregularities, but I cannot seem to justify this one.
If you *really* need an explanation, say that it's a loanword and that loans don't consistently apply the nasalization rule.
Also, it seems to me that the only languages AFAIK that contain vowel harmony are agglutinative and polysynthetic languages. Could harmony work in fusional and isolating languages?
Yes, it can and does.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

Micamo wrote:
LinguoFranco wrote:The only issue I am having is that I want the word 'mizhuk' (the 'zh' is pronounced as a voiced 'th' and the 'u' is the same as the Japanese 'u') but according to the grammar rules, the /i/ will have to be nasalized, but I don't want it to be nasalized in that particular word. This would be inconsistent with the nasal harmony rule. I know many IRL languages have exceptions and irregularities, but I cannot seem to justify this one.
If you *really* need an explanation, say that it's a loanword and that loans don't consistently apply the nasalization rule.
Also, it seems to me that the only languages AFAIK that contain vowel harmony are agglutinative and polysynthetic languages. Could harmony work in fusional and isolating languages?
Yes, it can and does.
So I don't "really" need a justification. I guess it could be an exception or an irregular. I don't think it will be a loanword as it looks and sounds pronoun-y to me.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

LinguoFranco wrote:
Micamo wrote:
Yes, it can and does.
So I don't "really" need a justification. I guess it could be an exception or an irregular. I don't think it will be a loanword as it looks and sounds pronoun-y to me.
Pronouns are relatively "strong" in regards to linguistic change. You can just say it's a throwback to a time where the nasal harmony didn't occur, just like how our pronominal case is from the Old English casing system
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

So much Sturm und Drang and crise de cœur over one word? If nasalizing /i/ feels wrong to you here, then don't do it. You can always go back later and diachronically justify it with when creatures crawled out of the watery depths and became land-dwellers speaking your lang.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名